Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.
When a new thread starts up I'll make you a goon-only access code for some goodies :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Is it common for social features to bug out? I accepted a calling card, typed out a lovely in-character note, pressed Send, and got no acknowledgement or error message. I think it's Varriner who sent the card; do you have five identical messages from me or zero messages from me?

marwood posted:

When a new thread starts up I'll make you a goon-only access code for some goodies :love:

wym when? This thread is like seven years old and still refers to a game called Echo Bazaar. :justpost:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

marwood posted:

I both want this and am too lazy to make a high quality new thread, someone with more drive and skill please save me!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
How did I miss that marwood works for Failbetter and is therefore doing more important things than making a new thread :doh:

also,

Captain Walker posted:

Is it common for social features to bug out? I accepted a calling card, typed out a lovely in-character note, pressed Send, and got no acknowledgement or error message.

I think it's Varriner who sent the card. Do you have five identical messages from me, or zero messages from me?

edit: as usual, the quickest way to solve a problem you're having in a video game is to post about it on the internet and try again

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 27, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Feast of the Rose! Mistress Fayette is open for exchanging gifts.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ready to exchange gifts too. Can mostly afford teeth

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Deemitka

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I sent some teeth to both of you just now. I'm rather unsurprisingly https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/CaptainSarcastic

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Responed with tongues!

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I'm available to exchange gifts. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Sandestin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm looking over the companions this year and not really feeling compelled to burn Fate on any of them. I have the Incognito Princess, September, and a bunch of others already, and I'm not seeing any that look really compelling. Am I missing something good? Any recommendations for good companions I may want to pick up?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Mask of The Rose has a demo out
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1769980/Mask_of_the_Rose/

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I started playing Sunless Skies but was so confused with everything being talked about that it made me think I should start with FL first to get more acquainted with the lore and more invested in the story. (Also feel that by doing so I’ve been spoiled about some things but oh well).

How far do I need to play before I can better appreciate Sunless Sea/Skies? Right now I’m about lvl 50 for each of my stats and on stage four of the “making a name” stories.

Also I’m holding out on reading the exceptional stories till I have s better grasp of the lore. Though wondering if there are some I could start out with that will help give more context without spoiling future events.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

So I started playing Sunless Skies but was so confused with everything being talked about that it made me think I should start with FL first to get more acquainted with the lore and more invested in the story. (Also feel that by doing so I’ve been spoiled about some things but oh well).

How far do I need to play before I can better appreciate Sunless Sea/Skies? Right now I’m about lvl 50 for each of my stats and on stage four of the “making a name” stories.

Also I’m holding out on reading the exceptional stories till I have s better grasp of the lore. Though wondering if there are some I could start out with that will help give more context without spoiling future events.

It is a bit unneeded maybe; all the deepest, darkest secrets of FL are basically the basic upfront premise of Sunless Skies. Sunless Seas may benefit more from playing FL. Maybe some of the other folk could explain it better.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I’d agree on the unneeded part. I wouldn’t play one game solely to get more lore on the others if playing them on their own isn’t enjoyable enough. Just have fun.

It’s not that there isn’t any synergy or lore shared, it’s just that there’s so drat much story and lore. You’re uncovering pieces of tens of puzzles simultaneously and it takes a while before they accumulate into clearer images. Any story within any of the games is fine as a standalone. They do benefit from one another, but not in a chronological sense I feel. You just get different pieces of puzzles that sometimes overlap, sometimes stand entirely on their own, and any one of the three games might help you understand stories in the others. I recently went through an old set of Exceptional stories I bought that hinted a lot at Sunless Skies, which was nice.

I might actually go back to playing Sunless Sea again, I didn’t have time for a zubmarine run yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fleve posted:

I’d agree on the unneeded part. I wouldn’t play one game solely to get more lore on the others if playing them on their own isn’t enjoyable enough. Just have fun…

I think it’s mainly not wanting to be spoiled for events that happen in FL by playing Sea/Skies. Though having started skies I’m already fairly spoiled on some major developments. Like I’m in the Empress Court in FL and it loses a little of its intrigue if I know some events that happen later. It’s not a huge deal, but it does take away from the fun a bit.

However it’s also apparent it can take months or years before I’ve played enough FL to not be as spoiled. So might just say gently caress it and play them anyway. I’d start with Sea first but it seems a bit harder than Skies and not sure I have the patience haha.

Maybe playing some exceptional stories might help but I wanted enough of a handle on the lore before digging in, as some from what I understand are better appreciated with some grasp on the lore more than others.

What are the ES that tied into Skies?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 24, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

I think it’s mainly not wanting to be spoiled for events that happen in FL by playing Sea/Skies. Though having started skies I’m already fairly spoiled on some major developments. Like I’m in the Empress Court in FL and it loses a little of its intrigue if I know some events that happen later. It’s not a huge deal, but it does take away from the fun a bit.

However it’s also apparent it can take months or years before I’ve played enough FL to not be as spoiled. So might just say gently caress it and play them anyway. I’d start with Sea first but it seems a bit harder than Skies and not sure I have the patience haha.

I cheated a lot in Sunless Seas after burning through a couple captains, which really felt congruent with the theme to me. I also used the wiki a lot to help me figure things out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Maybe playing some exceptional stories might help but I wanted enough of a handle on the lore before digging in, as some from what I understand are better appreciated with some grasp on the lore more than others.

What are the ES that tied into Skies?

I'd definitely advise against spending money on old exceptional stories. Some are very good, but the price is kind of absurd for what they are imo, and it's crazy to me that they individually cost more than a month of exceptional friendship, especially since a month of exceptional friendship can get you two or three if you space it out to only be active when needed to get the stories. Plus a lot of the value has been in advancing deep lore, and a lot of the old mysteries just aren't especially mysterious anymore in the current state of the game. So if what you're interested in is Sea/Skies, I'd just go straight there instead of sinking a bunch of time/money into London. Not that I'm suggesting to steer clear of London entirely if you like it, just that I don't think spending money on it should be viewed as a prereq to enjoying the paid games.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I'd definitely advise against spending money on old exceptional stories. Some are very good, but the price is kind of absurd for what they are imo, and it's crazy to me that they individually cost more than a month of exceptional friendship, especially since a month of exceptional friendship can get you two or three if you space it out to only be active when needed to get the stories. Plus a lot of the value has been in advancing deep lore, and a lot of the old mysteries just aren't especially mysterious anymore in the current state of the game. So if what you're interested in is Sea/Skies, I'd just go straight there instead of sinking a bunch of time/money into London. Not that I'm suggesting to steer clear of London entirely if you like it, just that I don't think spending money on it should be viewed as a prereq to enjoying the paid games.

Yea I’ll definitely keep playing FL because I am realizing enjoying the storytelling and lore. And most of this stuff is still mysterious to me even having started skies.

Is there a particular attribute path that goes more into the mysterious lore than others? Or is it about equal? I assumed watchful would be the path which is why I chose to focus on it the most. Though I ended up in the empress court as well through some lucky rolls as well haha. (Lvl 60 and apparently way underleveled).

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I don't mind spending money on old ES, but I also still think they're way too expensive. A while ago I bought the first three Dune books for just a bit more than one ES. But Fallen London is pretty much the only thing I'm currently splurging on. If you do decide to spend fate, there are good resources to point out what's more worth it.

Every year rah7 runs a survey on Reddit where people can vote on their favorite stories as well as which fate options are the most rewarding mechanically. The last one from 2022 is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fallenlondon/comments/smrppc/results_of_our_fatelocked_stories_survey_january/

The same information, together with a whole bunch of characteristics for each story, you can also find here: https://fl.masterzora.net/.

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea I’ll definitely keep playing FL because I am realizing enjoying the storytelling and lore. And most of this stuff is still mysterious to me even having started skies.

Is there a particular attribute path that goes more into the mysterious lore than others? Or is it about equal? I assumed watchful would be the path which is why I chose to focus on it the most. Though I ended up in the empress court as well through some lucky rolls as well haha. (Lvl 60 and apparently way underleveled).

You'll want all paths eventually, lore is sprinkled throughout London, but sometimes there are also areas which don't do a whole lot other than for grinding specific items (like Wilmot's End). The ambitions are probably the most lore-rich content. They do focus more on specific attributes and the wiki has a small guide to help you choose (https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Ambitions_(Guide)). I don't know enough about the other ambitions, but I've recently finished Heart's Desire and I can very much recommend it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I’m also playing the Mask of the Rose demo and this also seems it will be a good option to dig more into the lore. I’m already piecing things together a bit more than I have playing FL, and is also causing me to appreciate some things I’ve experienced in FL a bit more. Also helps that chronologically this takes place before any of them so you don’t get spoiled through playing it.

And yea I’ve seen that survey. Seems the cricket one is the most popular, but also from what I’ve read is better to play after you’ve experienced other stories as it refers to past stories and events.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wish they’d compile a storybook. $50 whatever. I enjoy the story and setting but I just can’t be assed clicking “go pickpocketing” ten times once a day to get slightly better at Sneaky. The Sunless games, I’m fine with.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I would like to thank everybody who posted in the very early days of this thread and is no longer active for giving me lovely fake names that I can slander for the benefit of the Amanuensis

I would also like to apologize to anyone I have been poo poo-talking who still plays. Send the assassin. Fair's fair.

edit: I remain un-assassinated. Sorry about that. I did send a lovely in-character note to Xiani.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 23, 2022

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Been playing for a few weeks now, paid for the subscription already to get those extra action slots. Goddamn am I ever enjoying this. It’s like a mud without needing to faff about with syntax and whatnot. The art adds a nice tone to it as well. Some of the writing is so-so, but most of what I’ve encountered so far is really intriguing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

madmatt112 posted:

Been playing for a few weeks now, paid for the subscription already to get those extra action slots. Goddamn am I ever enjoying this. It’s like a mud without needing to faff about with syntax and whatnot. The art adds a nice tone to it as well. Some of the writing is so-so, but most of what I’ve encountered so far is really intriguing.

Welcome to London, delicious friend! This game is truly a hidden gem. I'm B.T. Barker in-game if you need an acquaintance in this crazy city.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I thought about this game today lmao

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

came back briefly to do the new Evolution stuff and it kicked rear end. this game still whips

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anyone want some Christmas cards?

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Oh right, make sure to get your free moderately powerful items from https://advent.fallenlondon.com/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anybody playing the summer event? I don't generally play the game anymore, but the last couple years had fun events, so I'm dipping back in for this and am interested to see where it's going.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Summer event appears to have damaged the servers in real life but I'm having fun so far.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Can’t believe my horticultural fun had been interrupted by some boring invasion.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh wow, we're getting unscheduled maintenance.

I regret not raising more plants before the invasion.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It kind of feels like they managed to sneak an election back in the summer slot after all if the choice between which faction is showing up is based on which ones were getting the most requests. I don't know if that's actually true, and maybe it was all scripted to go down this way (I assumed the Masters would have been more popular if it was just a popularity contest, so maybe I'm wrong), but it would be kind of interesting if this was their sneaky way of having an election by revealed preference without the animosity among the player base.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
It's not, as far as I can tell certain factions just told you to gently caress off after enough people asked them and were never going to help. The requests for aid are still going to go up because people can do it once before getting locked out but the lock is predetermined.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
It's been about a decade since I last played this game, and IIRC I got all the way to the Bazaar Sidestreets and became a POSI. From what I hear that's nowhere near the end of content anymore. Is it worth playing the game again? I can't access my old account, but I'm probably not gonna put in multiple months of grinding stuff I already did, so hopefully they speeded things up?

EDIT: drat I'm reading my posts in this thread from 12 years ago. Man, the gold-framed painting...

Elswyyr fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 2, 2023

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Elswyyr posted:

It's been about a decade since I last played this game, and IIRC I got all the way to the Bazaar Sidestreets and became a POSI. From what I hear that's nowhere near the end of content anymore. Is it worth playing the game again? I can't access my old account, but I'm probably not gonna put in multiple months of grinding stuff I already did, so hopefully they speeded things up?

EDIT: drat I'm reading my posts in this thread from 12 years ago. Man, the gold-framed painting...

I'd say yes. There's a lot more content and there's a new event going on right now.

I missed the part about no longer having access to your old account. Probably not in that case.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 2, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the game is still pretty much what the game always was, so you really would have to spend a ton of time leveling up your old stats again before you could get to the cool new content. I wouldn't start over from scratch at this point, but I've also done a lot on top of the old POSI stuff now, so it's not really a comparable situation. If you can find a way to get your old account back, there really is a bunch more to do than there used to be though.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've gone through 4 characters, one for each ambition. To get from the start of nothing to finishing their ambition, took me about 5 months (nemesis), 4 months (bag a legend and light fingers), and that was taking things relatively slow with free accounts. Can't compare it to heart's desire cause that's my main from ages ago, but it couldn't have taken me longer than nemesis or bag a legend, especially considering knifegate.

Compared to years ago, I feel like the early game has gotten a lot faster. There's also just more to do and less monotonous grinding. The new Evolution line can be started pretty early as well. But, it'll still mean playing daily for an extended period of course.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My old character sought the Name after hitting what was, at the time, the end of the content. It was a pretty cool way to go out that felt thematic to my character though I wish I'd remembered it a little better all these years later. :v:
There's been a staggering amount of stuff added, it'd be cool to come back some time and hearing that the early game stuff is sped up/more varied definitely helps.

How would people feel about a thread refresh? It's been talked about off and on for ages, and at one point marwood was even going to provide a goon code for some goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I just picked up the game again not long ago after an absence of several years-- i was basically endgame at the time, had been doing novelty grinds mostly. Nadir every week to build up tears for blood conversion, that sort of thing. I had a solid job at the time so I was able to, if not whale, then at least dolphin a little so I still came back to at or near bis-gear and I'm really glad now that I invested hard in maxing BDR because i'm still only 1-2 points off the theoretical max. really appreciate shifting into other stats instead of power creeping mainline stuff.

Been really enjoying myself, but gosh ive missed so many stories that I need to catch up on and i do not have the resources I once did to do that lmao.