Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
My twitter is derekkatz. It's theoretically my personal account, but... I never use it, so it might as well be for this. I've just started, and I was planning on going Shadowy/Watchful, but Watchful/Persuasive seems more interesting. Maybe I'll do all three!

I'd love any tips for the early game anyone can give. I got the idea that I should find a place to live early on, so I did that. What's next? Just stat up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

thanthos posted:

The whole game is mostly statting up, yeah. If you don't take the time to read the writing, though, you're pretty much missing about 90% of the game because that's the main draw for most people, myself included. The other 10% of the game comes from statting up other stuff aside from your main 4 stats. For instance, I've currently made the Acquaintance of a Repentant Forger when I was sent to prison: the next time I died, I happened to draw an opportunity card that allowed me to recall the time I spent with the Forger and thus pull myself that much closer back to life.

Regardless of which pair of main stats you find yourself drawn to, try to get a headstart on your Ambition as soon as possible, and make sure you're on the right Ambition: there's one for every possible pairing. For example, my Dangerous/Watchful Ambition is to hunt down the Vake, a legendary monster that haunts Fallen London... though some people say that it's just a man who puts on a costume to flutter through the night.

Oh, I love the writing and the Lovecraftian aesthetic, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't supposed to be doing some specific task now now now as opposed to easing my way into the meat of the game.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

So, I just did some kind of mushroom race thing? That was a loving mess. Cost a bunch of actions, had to pay out fate to get in, and every challenge was way too high-level for me. Got proper hosed at every turn, came out with wounds, some new nightmare levels, and meager skill increases and retry items. Just as an FYI: if you get this opportunity, and your skills are low, give it a miss.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe someone here can help me. I've been hoarding three opportunity cards for a while, because they seem like good stuff, but they're still all three at "Impossible" difficulty. The three are: "The Ways of the Forgotten Quarter" (unlocked at Watchful 40); "Undertakings" (unlocked at Watchful 45); and "An Interview with Mr. Pages" (Watchful 45 as well). My Watchful is at 53+2.

My question is: is it worth holding onto them and continuing to grind Watchful until they're doable? Or am I losing out by having my opportunity hand full with stuff I'll see again and won't be able to do soon?

Relatedly, what's up with the huge gulf between the level at which things unlock, and the level at which you can actually achieve them? Seems kinda dumb.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

thanthos posted:

I have about 900 and I don't even remember where I got them from: and that's after spending about 400 in the Labyrinth. What are your stats and what do you need the candle stubs for?

I coughed up five hundred candle stubs to advance along the Heart's Desire ambition. Specifically, one of the players, a Bishop or Vicar or something, asks for them.

I just ended up buying the things. Later along in almost any skill path you'll start piling stuff into the thousands that you only use in the hundreds. Selling a thousand of almost anything is a good way to stack some paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

So a devil and I have been going to the opera an often amount of times and my scandal is sky-rocketing. Not that I care about what those stuffy-shirts think but if it reaches 8 what happens? Mob riot looking for me or what?

Spoilers if you want to find out on your own: You get sent to temporary exile, and have to spend actions or Connections to get back to Fallen London.