Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arglebargle III posted:

Well it's official, Dennis Muilenburg got $233,000 per corpse. $80.7 million pay package. They put $50 million away for compensating victims.

But hey the FAA still has a sense of humor! They're fining Boeing $5 million over the whole affair.
Boeing has been incredibly lucky that both crashes happened in far away countries full of people of whom we know nothing. If this happened in the US they'd be bankrupt by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arglebargle III posted:

Well it's official, Dennis Muilenburg got $233,000 per corpse. $80.7 million pay package. They put $50 million away for compensating victims.

But hey the FAA still has a sense of humor! They're fining Boeing $5 million over the whole affair.

Those fines are for something else.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Boeing has been incredibly lucky that both crashes happened in far away countries full of people of whom we know nothing. If this happened in the US they'd be bankrupt by now.

I assume admiralty law protects them from liability to a completely insane degree.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He's right those fines are for adding something to tail planes without approval or something.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

glynnenstein posted:

I assume admiralty law protects them from liability to a completely insane degree.

That said, if they had to pay ten million a passenger it would be dwarfed by the apparent billion a month or so that the grounding costs. Lost future orders will probably hurt badly as well.

I wonder how much less a clean slate design would have been.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My understanding is that it wasn’t about the expense of a clean slate design, it was about being able to market the aircraft to customers as not needing their pilots to be recertified.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fun fact, the radar in that version of the Mirage is the Cyrano IV.

So your username relates to a 747 equipped with a French fire control radar? :eyepop:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Buttcoin purse posted:

So your username relates to a 747 equipped with a French fire control radar? :eyepop:

I would honestly be shocked if Cyrano's username were anything BUT an incredibly obscure reference to antiquated militaria

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Maybe there were just 4746 other Edmond Rostand fans who registered first.

Edit: i for one, have absolutely no idea why I picked this username. No clue. Means nothing of significance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hatter posted:

What's the official requirement for designating a vehicle as amphibious? "Sometimes doesn't sink in glass-smooth water?"

“They are endangered by the most modest of human activity in the area.”

Works for frogs and frogmen.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I know exactly why I chose my username. I was mad at a supermarket.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

shame on an IGA posted:

I know exactly why I chose my username. I was mad at a supermarket.

Username checks out.

Only places I ever saw a IGA were in Montauk.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mine is true.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I just want to convey that my posting was stupid and bad.

Outside of SA I don’t post on any car forums.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just wanted something that was easy to remember

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

just get your named changed in gbs name change threads

im the ultimate cia deep cover agent and no one knows

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Archivists 80 years from now: "Why are all of these stories about people making GBS threads their pants held on a top secret server"?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 12, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would like the archivists to know that the piss tape is real and we knew that in 2019.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

I would like the archivists to know that the piss tape is real and we knew that in 2019.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We believed in our hearts, but the holy relic itself descended from the heavens on the fifteenth of January, 2019 CE.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

We believed in our hearts, but the holy relic itself descended from the heavens on the fifteenth of January, 2015 CE.

True

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news, the first 055 large destroyer was commissioned. The name is Nanchang (taken from the capital city in the Jiangxi Province). Some cool shots.

https://twitter.com/dafengcao/status/1216241291455016960

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 12, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nice looking ship

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That Works posted:

Nice looking ship

Would be ashame if it.... ran into anyone

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man that's a whole bunch of VLS cells

e: it also has those five little RAM equivalent launcher boxes on the heli hangar and what looks like a large CIWS behind the front VLS?

e: are the squares to the port and starbord of the front pair of smokestacks also launch cells?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 12, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

In other news, the first 055 large destroyer was commissioned. The name is Nanchang (taken from the capital city in the Jiangxi Province). Some cool shots.

https://twitter.com/dafengcao/status/1216241291455016960

still think these are the most beautiful ships ever floated

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They do look very clean and modern without going full wonky.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kind of looks like a Freedom class LCS and a San Antonio class LPD had a baby

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

Man that's a whole bunch of VLS cells

e: it also has those five little RAM equivalent launcher boxes on the heli hangar and what looks like a large CIWS behind the front VLS?

e: are the squares to the port and starbord of the front pair of smokestacks also launch cells?

The CIWS in the front is a Type 1130/ H/PJ-11 11 barreled 30mm Gatling gun, essentially a third generation Chinese CIWS.

The four launchers at the back are 726-4 24-tube solid state decoy and ASW launchers.

The RAM-like launcher above the helipad is a FL-3000N AA launcher, using HHQ-10 missiles.

You mean those?

No. The only VLS cells in the ship are those positioned after the gun (64) and amidships (48). The images may be a little deceiving, those universal CCL cells are actually pretty large (850mm width, 9m length). And can do both hot and cold launch.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 12, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some more. Really dig the lines on this ship, especially around the bow.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Real question what does the berthing look like.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd imagine a cheaper version of those Japanese sleep tubes, only with more lead involved somehow.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

You mean the naval base at Qingdao? Some photos from the same day.

The Liaoning is at the other side of the pier. You can see the island in the background.

Or the actual procedure of berthing the ship? This was back at the double launch.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Oh...crew berthing lol. Will try to find a CCTV video I saw on that. The quarters looked rather good iirc.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Really impressive to see that thing poop out casings (e: the CIWS). Does the size mean that they think it's an important capability? It seems huge compared to that self-defense missile launcher aft, why not add a second one of those instead?

Dante80 posted:

You mean those?

No. The only VLS cells in the ship are those positioned after the gun (64) and amidships (48). The images may be a little deceiving, those universal CCL cells are actually pretty large (850mm width, 9m length). And can do both hot and cold launch.

Yeah, the bits on the small upper decks with the liferaft capsules, where the ladders seem to be going in. They seem to be hatches, but idk why there'd be so many. e: ah, in case you have to get to those capsules in a hurry maybe? One for each deck or something, like express elevators?

e: aesthetically it's way too clean imo, needs more weird gribbly bits and hacked-on bulges but we've been through this with the OG vs late-block Vipers.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 12, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dante80 posted:

Oh...crew berthing lol. Will try to find a CCTV video I saw on that. The quarters looked rather good iirc.

Locate the spank shack if you can too.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

Really impressive to see that thing poop out casings (e: the CIWS). Does the size mean that they think it's an important capability? It seems huge compared to that self-defense missile launcher aft, why not add a second one of those instead?

It seems for some time now like the Chinese are moving away from the old Soviet doctrine of putting a shitload of CIWS on their ships, and into the more western style of having 360 degree coverage with a couple of units. With regards to the H/PJ-11, that thing is big, so getting another above the helipad is probably a no-go. Also, removing it for another FL-3000 at the front seems also somewhat counterproductive, I think that PLAN does respect the high TRL/efficiency the gun has (it has been supposedly tested successfully against supersonic skimmers, but take that with a grain of salt (Chinese TV broadcast).

Will try to hunt those hatches purpose for you.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dante80 posted:

It seems for some time now like the Chinese are moving away from the old Soviet doctrine of putting a shitload of CIWS on their ships, and into the more western style of having 360 degree coverage with a couple of units. With regards to the H/PJ-11, that thing is big, so getting another above the helipad is probably a no-go. Also, removing it for another FL-3000 at the front seems also somewhat counterproductive, I think that PLAN does respect the high TRL/efficiency the gun has (it has been supposedly tested successfully against supersonic skimmers, but take that with a grain of salt (Chinese TV broadcast).

Will try to hunt those hatches purpose for you.

That would be cool, those are driving me nuts a bit!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dante80 posted:

Some more. Really dig the lines on this ship, especially around the bow.

So why do modern warship designs favor obelisks instead of sensor masts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

So why do modern warship designs favor obelisks instead of sensor masts?

For your mast reading pleasure: https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/08/28/integrated-masts-the-next-generation-design-for-naval-masts/