Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Scut posted:

Another little neato thing you can see in a couple of those pics is a flip-out turbine at the base of the tail for providing auxiliary power. :awesome:

I agree its cool but RATs are pretty ubiquitous, especially on aircraft that don't have an APU to provide hydraulic pressure in the case of main engine failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Scut posted:

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the Thunderscreech was the first use of a retractable RAT.

It very well might've been, I didn't know that. I interpreted your comment on them more as "oh hey look at this gizmo, rare and unique like the Thunderscreech!" and, well, iyayaas set the pace of pedantry in this thread ;)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

An 11,000 foot rollout is just wrong on many levels. It was the Cold War, though, so I'm sure the answer would have been "make 50,000 foot runways in at least 100 areas of the country" or "improve national highway system", or something dumb like that.

iyayaas can probably correct me, but I'd guess that if aircraft that needed an 11k foot rollout like the XB-70 and SR-71 couldn't find a suitable runway and their only options were highways or other "rough" surfaces, there are a lot bigger problems going on (like the Cold War going hot).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Requesting that anybody with the knowledge make a few effort posts about Navy shenanigans and stuff during the Cold War. This thread seems to be mostly focused on USAF/Army stuff but I wanna hear it all!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

The Firing Range > AIRPOWER/Handley Page Victor Thread: There is a Bear in the Woods

no, now I fixed it

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Trench_Rat posted:

ACHTUNG JABO

click for big

edit: is doubble vju doubble vju two allowed in this thread?

Short answer, not really.

The intentions of this thread are to cover the post-WW2 through glasnost period. Y'know, the Cold War. Certain posters have decided that it isn't enough having massive WW2 derails in every other thread and that this thread needed them too, but that's not an endorsement for WW2 stuff.

Honestly I love WW2 stuff, so if you have some good writeups or pics I suggest you make a WW2 Air Power thread or something similar :)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Flikken posted:

With the / it means airpower or cold war. At least that's how i read it.

The intentions were Cold War-era military technologies, I'm pretty sure iyayaas01 threw in the AIRPOWER and the / because he's USAF .mil and airpower is his area of knowledge, but the thread is open for any Cold War tech discussion. There's enough WW2 stuff literally everywhere else and it's nice to have a thread that, for the most part, hasn't derailed into another P-51 fap-fest or a "who can post the most obscure, oddball Nazi aircraft concept" contest. Don't get me wrong, I love WW2 stuff and my love of Cold War history evolved out of my love for WW2 aviation.

Considering a WW2 airpower thread could easily and quickly get as long and probably even more in-depth than this thread, I'd really like to see WW2 stay separate. Start a WW2 airpower thread! Do writeups about the 8th AAF. Share stories from RAF fighter pilots about the Battle of Britain. Tell me more about how much of a stone-cold badass Erich Hartmann was. Remind us that America's top fighter ace was named Dick Bong. Hell, even Cyrano would be welcome to write more of his information-dense posts ;) It doesn't take much effort to start a thread, and I can guarantee you a WW2 airpower thread would take off quickly; I just really don't want to have to scroll past 78 pictures of F4U-1s and 91 posts discussing the differences between the B-17F and B-17G to get to that golden writeup of the XB-70.

In exchange I'll try to do an effortpost on Project Iceworm. Deal?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Holy poo poo...yeah, the ekranoplanes were discussed earlier in the thread (specifically the Lun class and their ability to carry six Moskit/Sunburn anti-ship cruise missiles and how that could make a carrier battle group's day very interesting), but I had no idea they thought about creating a loving aircraft carrier.

Enjoy

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

The narration is the best part.

Is it me or is the Wings of Russia series far more objective than anything American-produced? The series seems perfect capable of admitting when the Russians were behind in certain technologies, or when they stole/bought needed technology, for example.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

sanchez posted:

I think the fact that it happened during soviet times means it's easier for them to admit now. The B29 thing is hilarious.

There's still a lot of pride in the Soviet era for Russians, even post-glasnost. I maintain that the series was far more objective than anything I've seen on Discovery or the Military channel.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Gtab posted:

Get out of TFR you insufferable piece of poo poo

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the seamaster was like not at all actually useful as well. rad as hell, but the boat feature adds complexity and cost without being an improvement. plus there were huge issues around water ingestion and they had to overbuild the hulls even more due to higher landing and takeoff speeds.

Makes me wonder how Beriev has managed to carve themselves such a nice niche.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/11990/the-misunderstood-iceman/

Sorry to breakup the AIRPOWER/JSF thread with something else but I liked this article.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Flanker posted:

For Canadian content, I might allow Ryan Reynolds, but he is not allowed to talk, or look directly at me.

The hell do you have against Ryan Gosling?!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

grover posted:

Griffins run roughly $100k per missile, if we divide the most recent $9.3M contract by 70 missiles & 20 test missiles. Per wiki, Hellfires run about $68k. Hellfires are cheaper, but not by 5:1, more like 3:2. Prices may come down further once as the system matures, hard to say.

Don't you have a mutiny in GiP that you should be paying attention to, Lt. Col. Grover?

iyaayas, any more Cold War writeups in the pipeline? I'd like to find some time to do a writeup on the Kuznetsov NK-12s.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
AFFF is a motherfucker

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Wouldn't that be High Expansion foam, or whatever that's called? I remember AFFF as that filmy, stinky stuff.

Could be? I just remember my fire suppression days checking out those setups in hangars at PDX, and them being marked clearly with AFFF.

Also one of my buddies does construction contracting for the military in Anchorage and told me about the AFFF systems at Galena, so I assumed those systems were relatively universal in the USAF.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
No love for the Hustler?

I like this goofy fucker too:

I guess in general I really love the ultra-futuristic look of Cold War-era Soviet bombers.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 14, 2012

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Tomorrow myself and another TFR goon are going plinking as well as exploring the former site of a former AN/FPS-14 Gap Filler radar. This particular one was attached to the Mt. Hebo AFS, part of the SAGE system. This particular station's SAGE center was built just north of Corvallis, and the gigantic windowless building the computers were housed in still stands. Apparently a BOMARC site was to be constructed nearby, but was not completed. The remnants still exist, though.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

grover posted:

A Nike missile radar was mounted atop Battery Benson of Fort Worden, a pre-WWI defensive fortification North-West of Seattle. The NIKE missile radar station (S-93 R) was operational there from 1957 to 1961. Was rather disappointing compared to the fort itself. My photo of the mount turned out like crap, unfortunately:

If you ever get a chance to check out the puget sound defensive forts (Ft Casey, Ft Worden and Fort Flagler), they're pretty awesome. I've visted all 3 and would post more, but they were closed down because of airpower.

You forgot Fort Ebey :smug:

So yeah, made the hike up. Only had my cell phone for pics and I'm having trouble putting together a panorama stitch. Here is where we went.

It's been repurposed for commercial stuff, mostly microwave. Interesting point was the complete lack of signage. Nothing from the government, FAA, or any commercial entity. There was, however, a security camera up there. Gorgeous view of the SW Washington/Oregon area.

For you other Portland-area guys. The big building NW of the "A" marker is a former SAGE command center.

Former Bomarc site.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

While it wasn't much of a problem when they were deployed, it seems like the potential EMP effects from all those bombs going off would be pretty significant, especially with the anti-ICBM systems that would be going off in the upper atmosphere/near-space.

So...care to explain? That almost looks like the Konigstuhl Army tower in Heidelberg but then again radio towers on top of hills all generally look the same anyways.

Not much to explain that I haven't in my previous posts. This site was an auxiliary Gap Filler site (AN/FPS-14) networked to the Mt. Hebo AFS, which was in turn networked to the SAGE computers in Camp Adair, Oregon. Most of the remote radar facilities in my area have been long-since demolished, so it was nice to see something standing from that era, even if it has been completely repurposed for commercial/civil use.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Koesj posted:

UK only mate!

"Heads up for Brits"

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

mikerock posted:

I approve of the previous two posts.

Just jealous there was a Vancouver before yours.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
:toxx:

If I ever become a billionaire, I will restore a Tu-114 to flying condition.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
So my lil sister is now at Minot having fun. I'll give you a hint:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Going back many pages, the C-5s are gone from Stewart. We have C-17s now. A C-5 came in the other day, after I hadn't heard one in months, and I got all teary eyed. My whole life I heard that awesome noise and now I don't anymore :(

For you, taken at Portland International in 2006:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

right arm posted:

umm close enough??

(I'm running on like zero sleep)

30 miles, NBD.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

benito posted:

The preferred name is Chelsea.

Holy poo poo.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
So I was watching this fascinating documentary on the Argentinian Air Force's capabilities during the Falkland War.

Out of creeper curiosity, I looked up the Argentine pilot on Facebook. Found him.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Living in Juneau, Alaska in the 1980s meant that every Friday at 1pm, the city would kick off the only air raid siren in town. Both for testing purposes and as a sort of time chime. It was loud and scary to wee little me!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

What a pussy. Oklahoma City tests the tornado sirens every Wednesday at noon, and they actually go off for real several times per year. As a kid I was on a USAFE base that actually stored nukes and somehow didn't witness any of the rampant paranoia...I guess I'm just that unobservant.

We also had a flood warning siren for the reservoir NE of this location, but I never heard it go off. I'm not even sure if they test it, but it looks like it's been replaced since I last lived there.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What the gently caress were they going to nuke in Jackson, Michigan?! :psyduck:

Although this shithole already looks like something went off in some neighborhoods so.

Forget that, I wanna know what nuke-worthy high value target sits at the borders of Washington, Idaho, and Canada.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

What is going on down in the Ashland-area of Oregon? Did the Soviets hate Shakespeare festivals that much?

Klamath Falls ANG base. And the spot near Corvallis is probably the Camp Adair SAGE center.

joat mon posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Dam

(Ironically, part of The Postman was filmed at the dam)

Didn't know about that dam at all! Thanks.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Mortabis posted:

My first roommate was from Eugene, Oregon. He said it was home to "alternative lifestyles," especially "alternative chemistry" and "alternative agriculture."

Also, alternate living situations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpjcY4vENCY

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

grover posted:

It's easier when they can just bury it in the snow and forget about it. Kinda like old nukes!

This is apparently the most polluted and most garbagy spot on the continent of Antarctica.

Compared to, say, Oak Ridge, it's kinda funny.

Reminds me of....something

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Koesj posted:

Right now it doesn't hold a candle to something like Wings of Russia.

My favorite part of that series is just how candid it is. "Soviet bombers were not as good as American, so we copied Boeing B-29." "This brilliant design was...not so good."

It lacks a lot of the oo-rah jingoism that other documentaries tend to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I would watch so many more war documentaries and shows about tanks/planes/whatever if they'd just tone down the stupid nonsense. The jingoism and overly dramatic presentations kill a lot of these shows for me.

Seriously. If I took most aviation documentaries at face value, I'd believe that literally every aircraft was the best aircraft.