Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
This is quite cool: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1812595429445699346&hl=en

It's a 1948 fighter tactics training film, with RAF Meteors and Vampires vs USAF B-29s pretending to be Tu-4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Britain's Cold War.jpg:

Vulcan B.2 and TSR.2 taken from a Concorde.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Colonel K posted:

Thanks for posting these pics, there is something about the gannet that just is awesome. A guy who has a plane in our hanger used to have one, sadly I wasn't there when he had it.

Did someone say Gannet?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Also, didn't the A-7 have a single rotary cannon anyway? Convergence would be a moot issue.

Yeah, a single M61 Vulcan according to wikipedia.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

I'll only be satisfied if they also sortied an entire VP of Orions loaded for bear with Harpoons. Basically this x 20:

(check out the self defense Sidewinders)

Maritime patrol aircraft with Sidewinders, you say?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

AntiTank posted:

How the gently caress it's a graveyard, if it's clearly a museum.

loving journalists :argh:

Has the Mail started employing journalists now?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

"We're totally going to invent nuclear fusion that you can haul around in the back of a F250. All we need is a decade and a bunch of government and military money.

There is no way this will go over time or over budget. See we have all this secret research done that we can't show you, we're like 90% there, honest. Really we're just working out the final details, deciding what color to paint it practically.

This will also solve all your environmental, military budget, and naval construction problems. We're pretty sure it is positively buoyant and heals the sick as well, but we're waiting for the data on that.

Also, the first 250 units come with a pony. A unicorn pony. That's pink. Her name is Fluttershine."

Looking forward to fusion powered F-35s.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Britain doesn't even get air shows anymore since the Vulcan got retired :(

Still got a flying Lancaster!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

When I was an air cadet, then when I worked for the government in the UK there was a threat board on the BIKINI system but it never moved from black special

I lived on RAF bases for the first 18 years of my life and I've never seen anything apart from BIKINI Black Special.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/824717587011538944

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Syd Midnight posted:

And wasn't the Avro Lincoln basically a Lancaster but with a new name so it wouldn't sound so old?

The Lincoln was originally the Lancaster B. IV/V.

And the Shackleton was originally the Lincoln ASR. 3.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Here are some airplanes.

xthetenth posted:

What the hell is that first one.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/23-november-1946/

Avro Lancastrian C.1 with RR Nene jets.

quote:

The Nene-Lanc, Flies to Paris

THE flight of the Nene Lancaster from London to Paris last Monday, to play its part in connection with the exhibition, may be said to have marked a historic part in British aircraft development, for it constituted the first time that any jet-powered airliner had flown from one country to another. Moreover, since this particular aircraft has been flying fairly regularly since round about the time of the Radlett exhibition, the flight to Paris was no special performance, but merely one more public demonstration of its inherent reliability.

In the hands of Capt. R. T. Shepherd, chief test pilot for Rolls-Royce, the “Nene-Lanc” landed at Le Bourget at 10.58 a.m., G.M.T., after a 50-minute flight from London Airport, giving an average speed of 247.5 m.p.h. [398.3 kilometers per hour] Two passengers were carried in addition to the crew; they were Mr. Roy Chadwick, the Avro designer, and Mr. R. B. William Thompson, Chief Information Officer of the Ministry of Supply.

Capt. Shepherd said that he was very pleased with the aircraft’s performance and added that, but for having to circle Le Bourget Airport Twice before landing, the flight would have been completed in 43 minutes.

— FLIGHT and AIRCRAFT ENGINEER, No. 1978. Vol. L., Thursday, November 21st, 1946 at Page 561, Column 2.

More at the link.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

Peacekeeping!

Talking of this, I recently read Shaking Hands with the Devil and holy poo poo, talk about being screwed over from all sides at once.

Definitely worth a read, really brings home the horror of the genocide.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

What, the Germans contributed rations and everything

They were spoiled, but still

One of the few moments of levity was Dallaire and his HQ staff making all VIPs eat those rations.

evil_bunnY posted:

That's a great book at the author is a legit good dude.

Yeah, I knew the vague outline of what'd happened before hand but after reading the book and reading around after I have a colossal amount of respect for Dallaire. He tried to do what he could in some of the worst circumstances possible and his reaction to it and actions subsequently speak volumes about him as a good guy.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I recently read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families which was...an eye opening read as well. I'm gonna need some light reading in the near future.

This is on my to read list!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Given the general state of British defence procurement (including the QE class) it 100% would not surprise me if we hadn't.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You could probably mount a usable -9M on a 1989 Ford Taurus with a day's worth of work.

Second example:

The best example

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Mortabis posted:

It was a not-implausible scenario that one of those heater-armed nimrods would encounter the Argentine C-130s and P-2s also conducting maritime patrol. I am a bit sad that this never happened.

Oh I know.

One of my earliest memories is sitting in a Nimrod at St Mawgan during a squadron families day (at the age of like 4 or 5).

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I'm down at Eglin AFB for work, I'm swimming in the ocean down in Miramar, and an AC-130 overflies me at an altitude low enough that I can count the barrels on the Gatling guns.

Shame public masturbation is illegal.

So how much is your bail?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
This lecture series is a great introduction to the impact of various diseases over the last 400 years: https://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-234

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Mt. Vesuvius, 1944

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Will the MQ-25 require a catapult to launch or will it be able to take off from a ski-jump?

Asking for a friend.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Godholio posted:

^If you want it to have enough fuel for even fly itself, cat.

Guess we'd better start up the Osprey K.1 line for Big Lizzie then...

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wasn't this literally the plot to the RAF's Black Buck missions?

The planes themselves were still in service (just), it was just the refueling systems that needed to be ...acquired... from museums.

See Black Buck 4 for one of the consequences.

And XV230 for the long term consequences of hastily retrofitting refueling systems to an aircraft and then just assuming the system is fine for 35 years.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Hubis posted:

Elite doesn't model random mechanical failures, right? So it's way less ambitious/insane than Black Buck.

My dad was a nav on Victors during Black Buck. His log entry for Black Buck 4 is massively shorter than for the others.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

By late 1945 the US Navy had developed a AEW version of the Avenger that datalinked it's radar to a carrier or ground station, and a AWACS B-17, but was having issues with systems integration.

This page has a few articles about the program:
http://steeljawscribe.com/tag/project-cadillac

The radar used in the Avenger AEW was in use in RAF Shackleton AEW.2 until 1991...

Not sure if that's a testament to the quality of the radar or a condemnation of British procurement.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

priznat posted:

Viggen sproutted!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Crossposting but extremely relevant:

Just got done with the 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States and it is both darkly comical as well as grim as poo poo. The golf course scene is worth the price of admission alone. Just be sure to have something to take your mind off it afterwards since there's some real darkest timeline stuff in there.

:rip: if you live in South Korea, Tokyo/Yokohama, Palm Beach, Honolulu, Manhattan, or between Tysons and Alexandria

I thought it was fine as far as it went, but it was very, very obvious that all the effort went into the run up to the war. In part possibly a limitation of the format I guess, but it ended up feeling pretty bland to me, compared to similar books.

The Trump stuff swung back and forth between very on the nose (although distressingly believable) and oddly sympathetic.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Agreed, on the plus side its a quick read that doesn't waste a lot of time. I remember trying to read some of the serious/speculative WWIII scenarios that came out in the 80s and they all dragged on way longer than my initial curiosity could persist.

Yeah it's a reasonably entertaining quick read. I know what you mean about some of the 80s stuff, I enjoyed Hackett's book in the serious/speculative WW3 category.

I read Warday a couple of years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. The travelogue style helps vary the story/ allows the background to the war to be doled out in an interesting way.

More recently read Resurrection Day, which I thought was a really cool premise and world building (post Cuban Missile Crisis gone hot) let down by a so-so story (that was essentially ripped off from Robert Harris's Fatherland, which was much better written).

quote:

I did find the reuse of survivor anecdotes from WWII bombing campaigns/Hiroshima/Nagasaki/9-11 to be pretty effective though.

Agreed.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

How about : it looks like the empennage of an F-16 on a F-18 with an oversized canopy.

When an F-16 and an F-18 love each other very much...

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Just bring back barrage balloons.

A million gammons just got hard and muttered 'Just like the war'.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Is there any equivalent to Command and Control from the Soviet side of things?

Not sure about the Sovietvside, but the Secret State by Peter Hennessey covers the British side of things.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Quinntan posted:

The best part of HMS President and her successors is that they were usually used to patrol along the US eastern seaboard, as an additional gently caress you to the colonials.

The actual best part was building the second HMS President to the lines of her predecessor for no reason other than to remind the Americans the RN captured the first one.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, is it correct that the basic story is:

1. 2008 economic catasterfuck

2. Austerity as a result of this stomps all over whatever remaining hopes and dreams the middle class still had

3. Con pols blame perfidious immigrants as a scapegoat

4. Approximately half the voters buy this story, as the alternative is to say "our politicians totally abandoned us to protect the wealth of the 0.01%" which of course is BAD THINK

5. As a grift, this goes great for the cons right up until the point where "so let's do something about it and leave the EU"

6. Cameron allows those people to have a vote on it, smirking all the while, because obviously nobody in their right mind would vote for it because of the economic damage

7. Cameron is wrong, realizes that in trying to shoot himself in the foot and miss, the nation just took both barrels to the balls

8. Cameron resigns, the term kakistocracy returns to common parlance, the ratfucks of Parliament realize they can't get themselves out of this, the entire nation sees that their parliament is composed of blithering aristocrat idiots, people are making plans to disrupt parliamentary meetings by stealing the goddamn ceremonial mace, people wish the queen would just move in and dissolve Parliament or lock the conservative party in the tower or something, doesn't she have all the political power in theory, if she doesn't act on this now then what's the point ofohgod, this is exactly like the delegates in the electoral college isn't it

It's also worth throwing in the AV and Scottish referendums as influencing the Tories to believe they could win any plebiscite.

And the utterly lovely state of every organ of the press in this country. There's a revealing moment in Tim Shipman's (Tory, political editor of the Sunday times) book on the referendum where a Tory remain staffer comments that he now knew what it was like campaigning for Labour in a general election against the press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Not in the united "well we just shan't give lunatics charge of a submarine, do we then?" kingdom

Officers of the Royal Navy are gentlemen and a gentleman would never launch an unprovoked nuclear first strike.