Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I wouldn't say it's really sick, they are quite a beautiful and awesome sight. Unfortunately what they do is the polar opposite, but I understand where you're coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

What they -do- is make a lot of heat really quickly. It's what people might use them for that's questionable.

I mean most of us see massive unquenchable fusion fire every day and only the gooniest look up and go MY GOD THAT'S SO HORRIBLE
Well, yeah, but as far as I'm aware nobody has the ability to tell the sun to go over and gently caress up a country they don't like. v:shobon:v

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I will never cease to be amazed at the sheer size of those things. Shame they're letting them just rust away like that, but some great photos at least. I would love to see one for myself one day, but not bloody likely.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

I really expected it to be a bit more high tech than that.
Soviet weaponry in general seemed pretty low-tech in comparison, but could still do a lot of the same things. The US has a big thing for poo poo like fly-by-wire and computer displays... the MiG-29s everyone swoons over? Mechanical controls and analogue gauges. WWII technology, and yet still one of the most agile fighters ever built. Russian design philosophy always seems to favour getting something done as cheaply and simply as possible, while the US will go with more complex solutions.

Newer stuff is catching up, but the interior of the Typhoon is pretty typical considering it's 30 years old now and 10-15 of those years were spent struggling to even keep the sailors fed, let alone upgrade the boats. I'm actually surprised they managed to keep them afloat during the 90s.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Wow. I kind of assumed SAMs would mirror their targets by going with fuckoff MFDs everywhere; thanks for showing me otherwise.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Keeping with the theme of 'let's look inside things!', here's a T-80BV.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I would really not be surprised if "ergonomics" as a word didn't even exist in Soviet military parlance.

On the other hand, it does manifest itself in weird ways. For all the gripes about the MiG-29's cockpit and controls, the engines were easy as gently caress to replace owing to the fact they were basically just hanging underneath, as opposed to western designs where they tend to be doing insane things like "being buried inside the fuselage or wing roots". In fact, I would say about the only time a single iota of thought was given to the guys that had to operate this stuff was when it came to fixing something broken. No point having something flashy if your conscripts don't know which way up it goes! Similar deal with the AK... from a strictly ergonomics standpoint its controls are terrible, especially the safety, but it strips easily. Same with the 91/30, a pig to handle compared to its contemporaries, but stupidly easy to take apart. I'm not as well versed in subs specifically so I don't know how easy it would be to repair damaged systems on Soviet ones vs. American ones, but in terms of aviation and small arms, they seem to have designed them almost around maintenance rather than operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I dunno about during the Cold War, but there were (some) recorded instances of that during WWII.