Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Quote this if you had the ever loving gently caress freaked out of you by watching "The Day After" at too young of an age.

No, it wasn't when it was broadcast - I'm not quite NosmoKing levels of old here - but it was on VHS and it was back when Soviets were still scary.

such a fun movie to watch while drunk now, though

I saw it when broadcast. As a child. I'm not that damned old, am I?

Another one that had me freaked was the Nostradamus "documentary" HBO used to run that was narrated by Orson Welles. Big chunk of it was about the upcoming worldwide famine and the nuclear war to be started by the man with a blue turban in the middle east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Phanatic posted:

They're going to bury him in the mud and dig him up again after a month and he'll be in perfect working order.

Just like this damned joke.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Maternal grandfather loaded bombers in the pacific during WWII, at least from what I remember. He died before I was born, and the box of his military records, medals,etc, is packed away somewhere a few states away. His brother in law was at Normandy, never talked about it with anyone, EVER. Grandma's second husband was in Korea, and the only notable thing about his service were the terrible tattoos on both forearms and "Sweet" and "Sour" over his nipples.

Paternal grandfather was too old, and never would have joined anyway. He might have called himself a pacifist, but the truth was he just didn't give a poo poo. All of his sons would end up in the Army. Oldest went to Korea, middle one spent time as a supply sergeant in Texas during 67-68, and my dad ended up infantry in Vietnam in 68-69.

Dad on the left, Grandpa Alvin in the middle, and my uncle Gary on the right.