Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

mlmp08 posted:

The system is a command guidance, track via missile system. The missile is flown based on an uplink/downlink between the radar and missile until it gets to its terminal phase of flight, at which point the radar will illuminate the target and the missile will home on that illumination.

Can you explain this more? In what way is the uplink/downlink different from illumination?
I don't have a lot of passion for planes, but I love rocketry and unmanned flight (I am a nerd, obviously).

E: I'll be building a simple and inexpensive drone aircraft later this year. I'm not sure this warrants a TFR thread, but I'll gladly make one if anyone wants to know more about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

mlmp08 posted:

Regarding the drone, Bushman has posted his here and it is awesome. I'm sure someone has links to the thread somewhere.

I'm hoping to make a design that people can replicate for about $150 or less. It would be cool if some TFR folks followed along!

mlmp08 posted:

There are a few different ways missiles can home on a target.

"Fire and forget" missiles are active guidance missiles. The missile has its own onboard radar or infra-red seeker which locks onto the target and follows it without any guidance from its launch source. This is popular for missiles carried by fighters, since you don't want a fighter aircraft to have to keep guiding its missile in to the target when it could be acquiring a new target or maneuvering.

Command guidance is where the radar on the ground sees the target and gives the missile commands in order to guide it toward the target. This missile does nothing whatsoever except take commands from the fire control radar. Nike-Hercules worked this way, and actually had many radars including a surveillance radar, a target ranging radar, and a missile tracking radar which locked onto the missile while it was still on the ground and then followed it out as the missile was launched and flew to its target.

Semi-active guidance is where the ground radar illuminates the target by spotlighting the target with a particular wave-form which the missile passively listens for. The missile will home on this reflected energy.

PAC-2 uses a mixture of command guidance and semi-active guidance. For the vast majority of the flight, the missile is receiving commands from the radar based on the Weapons Control Computer's assessment of the best path to take to intercept the target. The missile sends down data to the radar to let it know where it was and where it will be. The radar sends up data to steer the missile. Toward the end of the flight, the missile enters the TVM (Track via Missile) phase. The target is illuminated by the ground radar and the missile homes on the reflection and the missile then decides how it will fly to intercept the target, making it more accurate than relying purely on ground guidance from a radar which could be many tens of kilometers away at this point.

PAC-3 uses command guidance for most of its flight and then switches over to an active Ka-band seeker which locks onto the target and guides the missile in with no input from the ground radar.

Here is a very nerdy audio clip describing how many families of missiles know where they are: http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/guidance.wav

If patriot does not gain the uplink/downlink immediately to allow missile guidance, the missile will self destruct.

Thanks! So the pilot of a target aircraft isn't alerted to radar? Or the "spike" is total illumination?

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar
Speaking of cool space poo poo: Radiometric tracking techniques for deep space navigation