Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

NosmoKing posted:

I'm pretty tingly in the pants on how they took the aircrew for bombers from 10+ in the WW II and just post wwII bombers to just 2 for the B-2.

The proposed attack profiles for the older bombers (especially the B-52 and B-1) were loving end of the world poo poo. Not a whole bunch of stealth in using your under-wing mounted SRAM's to blast the poo poo out of any opposition on the ground (air defense sites, airfields, some guy who gave you the finger, whatever) and then drop megaton range gravity bombs on the DGZ's. Now, they are supposed to just sit back and fart out cruise missiles by the fistful and watch the world end from afar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

That's like something out of a loving Pantera song

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Someone needs to come with me on this tour: http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/view.php?pg=10

I can convince my fiance to do the one hour tour, but four and a half hours of climbing around a missile complex is beyond her interest level.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I touched a Titan 2 missile today :haw:

The rocket fuel handler clothing outfits were loving nuts

Not my picture.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

McNally posted:

My dad was a fuel handler on Titan IIs. The suits had positive pressure so fumes couldn't get in if it tore. He told me about a phenomenon called a BFRC, or Big loving Red Cloud, which occurred when fuel ignited. I tried Googling it for more information, but all I really got was that BFRC stood for Big loving Red Cloud and that if you saw a BFRC, run upwind of it as fast as you could. I think dad told me that a BFRC could melt your lungs, but I'm not sure how much of that was hyperbole, how much was what 18 and 19 year old fuel handlers told each other, and how much was fact. In any event, I don't imagine it was very healthy to breathe.

It probably could. The oxidizer was apparently a substance that was extremely reactive with water, producing both heat and nitric acid, so getting that in your lungs would be a very bad thing.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Our tour guide at the Titan museum said that his guess on probably the best way to take out an ICBM would be to have a few people just shooting rifles at it during initial liftoff as quickly and accurately as they could to puncture holes in the skin and vent fuel/oxidier, either causing a catastrophic failure, or enough of a leak so that it didn't fly right.

Any opinions on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I forgot to share: I was driving home a couple days ago and saw a B1 fly by on approach to Davis Monthan :3: