Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Even though it's sad about those planes going to that great bulk-metal yard in the sky, I love it when this thread makes it back on the front page. It was the third full thread I read after discovering TFR (after the newbie question thread and the Unintended Consequences thread(:psyboom:), and I wish I had more to contribute to it than the 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Forums Terrorist posted:

The only nations one could consider "good" are those that have never done anything ever due to being too small/weak/poor.
Don't forget those nations that even though they've always been small/weak/poor have managed to tear themselves to pieces internally - sub-Saharan Africa, Cambodia etc. gently caress, I was in Cambodia in January, and with the damage done thirty-plus years ago by the Democratic Khmer regime, they would have to work extremely hard with double-digit economic growth for the next fifteen years before I would call them poor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

I remember playing through almost the entire campaign on that, and ace-ing every mission, until maybe the second or third last mission. My cat jumped on my desk just as I was landing, and knocked the joystick onto the floor, and I crashed. Because the way that game saved, I lost my character and all of my progress because of that.

I don't think I ever started up a new campaign after that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Apparently the extinguisher system prematurely ejaculated.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for the background info iyaayas, I just pulled the pic off another forum and thought you gents would find it interesting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Despair posted:

Genie Air to Air nuclear weapon.

Air to air nuclear weapon, huh. Anti massed bomber formations? Because we can?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's like that loving retarded story that goes around about the (insert minority of choice) dude who robbed a store, then ran outside into a group of Marines who were collecting Toys for Tots, stabbing one. The Marines purportedly then proceed to beat the poo poo out of him. The "news story" invariably blames his injuries on "tripping over". While this did actually happen, the suspect wasn't injured while being apprehended. The key is where the story will often include a laundry list of injuries, and that the suspect must have been clumsy *chortle* to trip over and manage to break both of his arms *snigger*

I'm pretty sure that if a group of Marines who were doing PR work actually beat the poo poo out of a civilian, regardless of what they had allegedly just done, they would be in a world of poo poo.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was saying that bat bombs specifically were fake, never happened, or whatever else you want.

gently caress you bat bombs were 100% real.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 3, 2012

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Canadian Naval Officer pleads guilty to spying for Russia

quote:

Using a thumb drive, he would download intelligence from a system called the Stone Ghost computer, which contains information from the U.S., Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. He would then hide the drive somewhere on his body when leaving the secure area and later pass it over to the Russians

Do you think at some point in time his Russian contact told him to clean it first?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can someone explain how exactly this computer had working USB ports? I mean, I'm no penetration expert (:quagmire:) but it seems like you would lock them off or deactivate them on this sort of sensitive system.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

grover posted:

Then, you run into other questions, like... what happens if the blast comes when someone is walking in the front door?
Or if you combined it with a small conventional munitions strike to breach the integrity of the cage?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's not just Airplane chat here, there's a lot of weird and wonderful cold war technological and espionage freakery as well. For only 100 pages, this thread is well worth reading from the start.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iyaayas01 posted:

sovereignty issues and resource rights is a big deal politically/economically
Expect this to warm up more and more as the Arctic ice cap gets less and less. That area has been subject to amazing amounts of geological scrutiny in the past 3-4 years as Russia comes to realise that with around 4000km of passive margin that has previously been covered in ice on their northern shore, they want to get the data, get drills in place and make the best claim they can to the hydrocarbon resources that are almost certainly there, that Sweden, Norway, Denmark (through Greenland) and Canada will all want as well.

If you can speak and read Russian, have O&G skills and don't mind the cold, your skills are going to be in demand in a big way by the end of the decade.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Groda posted:

Sweden hasn't had territorial waters in the Arctic since 1905.

Quite right, I had it in my head somehow that Svalbard was their territory.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Correct me if I'm wrong benny, but weren't those things loving terrible at fundamental missile attributes such as "maintaining flight" and "hitting things"?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Miso Beno posted:

I just watched When the Wind Blows and I can't figure out the paper bags at the end. Did I miss something?

It's one of those "duck and cover" things for :airquote:surviving:airquote: a nuclear attack; kind of like hiding under the stairs, or painting your windows white. It's completely useless, just like everything else, and I think it was supposed to be highlighting the futility of the whole thing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Miso Beno posted:

Painting your windows anti-flash white doesn't make any sense though.
It's to "reflect the flash". It makes no sense at all, and was possibly just mindless busy work to put the peons' minds at peace. Everyone with an ounce of education on the matter during the times of MAD knew that there was very little people could do to survive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A Tall Tail by Charles Stross| Tor.com

Interesting little anecdote from the time when the Cold War was getting warmer. Chemistry people will have jaws drop a few times while reading.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nebakenezzer posted:

As chemistry is probably my worst subject, I find all of this stuff fascinating, and would like to know if Streng's paper is as insane as this chemist makes it out to be.
It sure is a thing check your PMs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sure is an awful lot of Dr Streng love in this post

No one ever learned to stopped worrying and love O2F2. I promise.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gfanikf posted:

Australia too is considered a turn key nuclear power.

Australia is literally at least 15 years away from being a nuclear power, even if we decided we wanted to be one tomorrow. I use the term literally correctly and without a hint of irony. We are a technically advanced country, but we simply don't have the top level workers in the field that we would need in order to pursue that sort of programme, on account of the fact that basically everyone who has been in power since nuclear things were a thing were rabidly anti nuclear.

It shits me up the wall, because what my parents' generation thinks they are against is nuclear power; what they are actually against is their generation's nuclear power. It's a poo poo ton safer than it was in the 60s.

Having said all that, if you have links to some analysis that disagrees with what I've said here, I would be very glad to have a read of it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
As far as I understand it, the Sheffield may have been carrying nuclear depth charges. The Ministry of Defense has refused to either confirm or deny this.

edit: baconroll, you should probably actually read that article. The MoD said they transferred off the charges, but gave no concrete details, and I personally don't blame them.

quote:

The ministry also refused to say whether any nuclear depth charges were on board HMS Sheffield, which was sunk during the war...

Last night's admission by the MoD fails to clear up the most controversial allegation: that the nuclear weapons were sunk along the HMS Sheffield after the ship was hit by an Exocet a month into the war

Memento fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 1, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Invalido posted:

If I remember correctly, the leo2 has room for 15 rounds in the turret magazine and almost twice that amount right next to the driver. While there are indeed separate tubes for each round, and while the on-board fire extinguisher system is ridiculous, I think a propellant fire confined to just a single round stored in the chassis would be really bad news for the entire crew at the very least, especially if the hatches were closed.

Unlike in a T-72, at least with a leo you have the option of limiting the load to just 15 rounds in order to increase your tank's survivability somewhat. In my ill-informed opinion, ammo storage is the one area where the Abrams is the clearly superior design.
My understanding (I haven't read the procurement requirements) is that this is one of the big reasons that the Australian Army decided to buy the Abrams; crew survivability was a very high priority, if not priority #1. We picked up the TUSK as well; while I can't recall the last time we fielded an MBT in anger, it's probably prudent to think the next time we do will be in a heavily populated area.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Considering the media climate at the time that makes a hell of a lot of sense. I'm perfectly happy with that being the main driver behind tank design; it's a lot easier to replace steel and composite boxes than it is to replace the people in them.

I really am wracking my brain to think of a time we have sent tanks overseas since we fielded Centurions in Vietnam. We had engineers overseas for UNTAG attached to UN transport, Air Defence on a few naval vessels in Iraq I and we only had thin-skinned personnel carriers in East Timor. Special forces to Afghanistan were in various Land Rovers (I think), pretty sure we only had ASLAVS again in Iraq II as our armour.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I love tankchat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowdens Secret posted:

How realistic is a scenario where an entire enemy armored column exposes itself, yet the US has such complete air superiority that we can lumber a heavy bomber across the sky without even worrying about SAMs? Outside of Iraq, that is, where the land/air mix was all sorts of off in foolish ways long before hostilities started. Was there a time where we really thought we could be putting B-52s over a hot Fulda Gap?

Or are those weapons also deliverable by something more F-15E/F-16-ish?

The BLU-108 could be delivered by the AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon, which for sure could be fielded on F-16s.

edit: beaten like a battalion of T-72s on the wrong end of a Davy Crockett.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 9, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I love reading poo poo like this.

The Queen's 1983 nuclear war speech that was never given - The Age

The speech prepared for the Queen of England in case the cold war heated up.

"The enemy is not the soldier with his rifle nor even the airman prowling the skies above our cities and towns but the deadly power of abused technology." Pretty grim stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

joat mon posted:

The Sea Sitter:

An amphibian 20% larger than the Spruce Goose, with 40% greater payload than the An-225.

Don't forget the SeaSprite anti-sub helicopter stored in the fuselage. This blog has a little more info and some links to follow:

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4570

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's loving nothing as far as relief aid goes. poo poo, I think you can get more than that in a loving mid-sized Uhaul.

That would have to be the most inefficient way of sending supplies anywhere imaginable.

I dunno man, one time at the base at the South Pole, they ran out of every other beer except for Export Gold from New Zealand. Export Gold is... not good. A couple of thousand pounds of Crown Royal whisky would have made a shitload of difference to their winter, because apart from making sure your experiment is running, there's not much else to do apart from drink. It was six weeks until the first supply plane was going to come in, they could have really used a ICBMartini or two. Some cool reading here: Alcoholism in Antarctica | Funranium Labs & Store

edit: Apparently I mis-remembered, they still had plenty of hard liquor left before that first resupply flight. They did, however, accidentally freeze an entire pallet of red wine that they then attempted to consume with a quickness.

Also, fun fact about the first manned re-entry vehicles. The shape on the bottom of them was either inspired by, or directly copied from, Australites, a particular type of tektite, which are pieces of the Earth's crust ejected at hypersonic speeds from meteorite impacts that form various aerodynamic shapes when they come back down, often after having visited the edges of the atmosphere or even outer space. I was trying to find the paper online to link, but the only non-dead link I can find is hosted at NASA.gov. So, yeah.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 16, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mortabis posted:

I'm kind of surprised that we can't just airdrop stuff on the South Pole from normal airplanes like C-17s.

I was mostly being facetious about sending booze via missile tip, but serious question: how low do you need to get to airdrop supplies? Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station is at the geographic south pole, and in the winter when the wind there drops below 48 knots, it's considered "pleasant". Visibility generally ranges from between 400-1000 meters, and can drop to 10-20 meters in the space of minutes, and temperatures of around the low negative 60s. So, I know almost nothing about the logistics and mechanics of an airdrop, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to be flying anything at all at any altitude you could drop stuff from. Also, sending guys out to find the airdropped supplies would probably be a lot more risky than just making sure you have enough. I mean, running out of decent booze would suck, but no one's in any danger of starving to death.

edit: yeah, Summer is a completely different beast. Visibility unlimited, temperatures hovering around the mid negative 20s to 30s, wind speeds at tolerable levels etc. Landing a plane on skis isn't a problem once things get a bit nicer.

edit edit: Hah, holy poo poo. From Wikipedia:
code:
                                Apr     May	Jun	Jul	Aug
Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours      0       0       0       0       0

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 16, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just load a B-52 up with hollowed out bombs and JDAM supplies in from 50,000 feet.

Point your laser at a big old snow drift, instant landing pad! Hook them out with some sort of electromagnetic winch. poo poo son, this is going places.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mortabis posted:

I know this is a joke but Jesus, it's Antarctica. You have millions and millions of square miles of loving nothing. Just put all your trash in a big heap out back. I hope they don't actually bother to fly that stuff out.

As has been discussed, they fly almost everything out, because they're not enormous loving douche inspectors. Except for one thing...

quote:

Human waste is the only refuse that is not flown out from the South Pole. In fact, sewage is pumped down the hole from the last Rodwell that was in use. It is frozen and essentially buried in the ice. Be forewarned: Sometime in the next few million years, a very dirty iceberg will calve off the Antarctic ice edge and sail out to sea.

Apologies for starting the Antarctica derail. Post more figuratively cold stuff instead of literally cold!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Slow-mo HD video of the shuttle engine igniting. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fd9_1386028600

Nice link, I love the way that the camera becomes less and less able to deal with the glare as the SRB comes into view.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mlmp08 posted:

And the Czech Republic sure as poo poo doesn't get the F-35. Though, to be fair, that Dutch F-35 is photoshopped.

edit for picture:

Canberra? I always thought they were pretty cool when I was a kid.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cold war Life post: The story of a full KGB Colonel who was caught in the late 50s. Interesting as the story of a real-life master spy; slightly depressing as it reminds me how far we've fallen when it comes to legality and national security concerns.

That article paints him in a very flattering light; I must admit, I wonder if that wasn't deliberate, as if to say "this man is a brilliant intellectual and a good thing too, otherwise he never would have been able to fool us".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cyrano4747 posted:

You really want to brown your shorts in a mixture of outrage and incredulity over US foreign policy? Read up on the life (and especially death) of Patrice Lumumba, then reflect on the colonial history of the Congo, then reflect on the legacy that staunch US ally Mobutu Sese Seko left in his wake.

It wasn't just US foreign policy. MI6 also had several thumbs in that sordid little pie, and Belgium were so desperate for Congolese mineral resources that they tried to calve off their own little piece of Belgian Congo in the Katanga province; the puppet government they tried put in place ended up actually signing the order to execute him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arrath posted:

It just sounds so much like a mission you'd play in Call of Duty. A daring deep strike against an enemy airfield with no hope of survival! PS hope a Hind doesn't show up to ruin your day.

Wait, didn't you already have no hope of survival before the Hind showed up?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DeesGrandpa posted:

One of my never discuss while high topics was the Manhattan Project. Just how crazy an idea it was, during a time when money and scientists were desperately needed for advancements in areas that were guaranteed to yield at least something. Just all the people dealing with all the science needed for it, when none of them really quite knew what might happen, and that somehow over it all the loving government procurement system actually let it happen. Trippy as balls.

The science wasn't so hard. The basic theory had been known for at least a decade when they set off on the path that ended at Trinity. The maths though. The maths was loving spectacularly balls-nasty, and there wasn't any Wolfram Alpha to help them out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
BBC News - Russian fighter jets "breach Japan airspace"

I assume they were just dicking around. Russia's still cool, right?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FrozenVent posted:

Have you been watching the news recently? Cold War 2: Bear Harder is about to start.

Yeah sorry that was basically my joke, I'm just bad at them.

This time the Cold War's going to be real cold, mostly to the people in Eastern Europe who need SovietRussian natural gas piped in to not freeze to death :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not that the Germans didn't try.

Sweet Jesus what did that thing weigh?