Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I've actually seen some the launch sites for those old SAMs when I was stationed down at Ft. Story, Virginia. They are pretty neat.

Awesome post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Good thing Russia is our friend now and would never do anything stupid or evil!

If you need further proof, read a Tom Clancy book!!!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

:golfclap:

Before I really get cracking on the nuclear war strategies/tactics post, does anyone have any specific requests for stuff under that umbrella that they'd like to see covered?

Tactical level use against the Soviets in east Germany.

As in who had launch authority, who coordinated between the army and air force on the selection/priority of targets.

And of course ignore me if that is still OPSEC

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ridgewell posted:

Now I'm confused. In your OP, you write

Since the F-86 and F-100 are one-seaters (save for some training versions), this would mean that the two-man concept was abandoned with them, too (and possibly, depending on the exact versions, the F-16, F/A-18, A-7 as well).
What's the deal with that?

I would think it has something to do with the nature of the nuclear mission since the F-106 was firing an Air to Air Missile(probably over uninhabited/friendly territory) and therefore defensive in nature there probably wasn't a need for a national command authority release of the weapon and the pilot could act independently??

I have no idea if that is accurate or not I'm just guessing

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Has this thread turned into "The Interesting cool poo poo thread Iyaayas01 knows or knows where to research for walls of text of cool poo poo" ?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Well I am enjoying it immensely

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Parasite aircraft have a long history.

The hangar for that thing is loving MASSIVE!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, this thread, that thread, the Ringo thread over here, and the Air Force thread over there are pretty much the only ones I'm actively following while I'm TDY. I kind of gave up on my crusade in that thread to rid the Marines of STOVL because I've only got a limited amount of time each day to post (to be clear, that was my only contention...I have no problem with them operating fixed wing jets for CAS, I just don't agree with the need for STOVL capability.)

Sooo, the Marines need a carrier capable version of the A-10? If that is true I can get on board with it.(I know its not, but it should be damnit!)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Those nuclear ABMs would have kind of sucked for Canada because they'd probably be detonated overtop of us :tinfoil:

I fail to see the issue

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

daskrolator posted:

“Now no helicopter will be able to escape after entering into Pakistani territory,” the official [Pakistani] sources said.

http://arabnews.com/world/article154005.ece

:bustem:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LavistaSays posted:

Also it becomes problematic to get a DNA sample and positive confirmation that he was there. We would have still needed to send a team on the ground to recover some sort of Osama-bits for proof to the rest of the world.

Who wants to bet we had a b2 orbiting in case the mission went south?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

A B2 full of SEALs.

Did John Ringo plan this raid?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

I got buzzed by an entire squadron of CSH-2 Rooivalks recently. That's 12 of them. By time I had pulled my iphone out, unlocked it and tried to focus for a picture, I was looking at the last one disappearing from site.
Which theoretically may indicate I'd get a shot at one with a MANPADS, but I'd have been a sitting duck for ages if they were hunting with the Mokopa missile. There is no way you'd hear them.

We have a south African tfr goon? Cool.

According to Wikipedia you got buzzed by all of those choppers in existence

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

:negative:

My sarcasm/joke detector has failed me once again.

I thought those got removed at OTS?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Flanker posted:

The Americans can't even contemplate conducting an operation without total air supremacy so mounting AAA and SAMs on Humvees starts to look crazy.

The Russians on the other hand, never assume supremacy in a given theater so they roll with those badass self propelled SAM/AAA combo things like the Tunguska aka SA19 Grison and shitloads of MANPADS.

Both of these mentalities were developed in WW2

Has an enemy ever even had temporary local aerial superiority on US forces since Korea?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Our quarters were next to the flight line at Al Assad. Sometimes it seemed like the Marines were trying to burn up the month's fuel budget at night with the constant F-18 traffic at 3 AM.

I was next to the flightline at Bagram. drat those constant Strike Eagle sorties

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

The Gloaming posted:

:words:

I am honestly curious how he went from naval aviator to USAF.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I wonder how big of a brick Pakistan is making GBS threads?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Eh, ever since India and Pakistan went nuclear, the convential arms race really isn't that much to get worked up about.

On the other hand, if India deployed a viable ABM system, Pakistan would freak.

Think that fighter could carry a small nuclear bomb?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

So could a Gremlin hatchback but I don't see anyone getting too worried about the pinnacle of 1970's AMC technology.

Yes but couldn't a stealth aircraft become a first strike game changer in their MAD doctorine. Especially multiple strikes on Pakistani nuclear forces to maybe bring them off of the table and eliminate the counter strike capability before the Pakastani's even know what hit them?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

This is still possible today...an F-15 driver I worked with graduated from West Point. It definitely isn't very common, though.

It was more common at that point in history, since the USAF was a new separate service in 1947 but didn't graduate its first class from the Academy until 1959, so there was a decade+ where officers had to come from somewhere else (as far as Academy dudes...obviously stuff like ROTC and OTS/Air Cadets was still an option).

No, I understand that someone could go from one of the service academy's into a different branch of service. But the guy in question apparently got commissioned and went on to receive and complete Naval Aviator training and THEN joined the USAF as a pilot.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

South Africa and China are mentioned by name, and parts of that were written shortly after Tiananmen Square and before Nelson Mandela was freed.

When you shut off the largest food exporter and irradiate the large industrial sectors of the world, the least you can expect is massive food riots in parts of the third world. Look at how quickly Libya devolved from unarmed protest to armed civil war.

Both sides of the nuclear debate usually color the discussion with exaggerations either way. Nuclear winter probably doesn't mean the extinction of the human race, or even the end of civilization as we know it. It most likely would set our development back a few hundred years, though.

Not too mention what people controlling the remainder of the US/Russia arsenals would do after the governmental collapse. I could see those nukes getting used fairly frequently and fighting to control them.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

movax posted:

This is one time I'll borrow from Tom Clancy: I have a gun pointed at your head with a full 13 bullets. I dump out 7, still feel safe bro? :smug:

Also good to know the Soviets considered Detroit worthy of destruction, go Michigan! :toot:

(insert comment about how Detroit already looks like a nuke hit it here)

I guess the Soviets had it in for Canton, Ohio. They must not like Pro Football or vacuum cleaners.

Maybe it was the Steel and Roller Bearing factories :iiam:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

PS- Avenge Yorktown!

PPS avenge the BOER war

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

daskrolator posted:

Speaking of the nuclear triad, rumors are about that under the most austere budget cuts the nuclear triad may go to a diad. Which leg gets eliminated? Land-based ICBMs, nuclear bombers, or da boomers?

I would vote the bombers

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Though I do think that subs are the most expensive, they are also the most survivable by far. Worth it in my opinion.

I don't know what all goes into converting a bomber from nuclear to conventional and then back but I imagine it would be cheaper than doing the same on a sub or deactivating and reactivating a missile force.

That's why I vote the bombers should go

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that as far as today's arsenals go the same bombers which are capable of deploying nuclear weapons are the exact same ones that currently deploy our conventional munitions.

In other words, what you are arguing for is scrapping large bombers, period, and I think there's still a need for B2s and B52s in our conventional arsenal.

I wasn't arguing for scrapping them, just not keep any in a ready nuke status

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Seconding the Let's Read.

Also since this thread resurfaced I figured I would ask these 2 questions:
1) How does the B-2 yaw? It obviously doesn't have a rudder.
2) Prior to the introduction of the Harpoon, what weapons were going to be used on navy planes against ships? Did they even have anything or did they just plan on using their own ships to shoot it out?

Various Air Dropped bombs and Torpedos. Read about the Attack on Pearl Harbor, the Battle of Midway, The Battle of Coral Sea, The Sinking of the Bismark, The Battle of Leyte Gulf, The Battle of the Philippines Sea, and many more WWII naval battles.

Let me look up some Early Cold War stuff for you.

Edit: it looks like the Harpoon was the first US Air Launched Anti-ship missile with extensive service.

Edit 2: Oh ya there was this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim_(rocket)

Flikken fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 11, 2011

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

You left out the inspiration for Pearl Harbor: the british attack on the Italian Navy at anchor.

I didn't forget it, I just forgot what it was called.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

So did I. :ohdear:

It began with a "T" now if we only had access to some massive source of information at our fingertips than can easily be referenced we might discover this name.

Hey IYAAYAS would you like to weigh in?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

BadgerMan45 posted:

I can't go into great detail but I do remember it was Taranto. I believe the Brits attacked with 21 Fairey Swordfish off the HMS Illustrious and thrashed the Italians.

Fake Edit: Found the wikipedia article, I don't have any more information than it does but here you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Taranto

I knew it was something like that. But I guess I confused it with that Canuck city that has a similar name

priznat posted:

It was definitely pretty close one. Also interesting that the Sea Harriers managed a 24-0 K:L against the variety of Argentinean planes (Super Etendards, Mirages, A-4s etc). Most likely because the AIM-9L was the poo poo.

I think if the British would have hosed up the landing or got driven out of that sea space they would have started hitting the Argentinean military infrastructure within Argentina and still kept the islands.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 12, 2011

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jeremy Clarkson didn't write that, it was Rowland White.

It would be an amazing book full of explosions if he had written it though!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

DrPop posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask this, so here goes. In anticipation of BF3, I've been playing a bunch of SPMBT lately, playing some US and Russia vs Iran games. Keep in mind going forward that when it comes to MBT and MBT technology, I know very very little, and that which I do know is gleaned from wikipedia and other random poo poo.

My question is this: Why have so many countries adapted their MBTs (and other AFV/IFVs) to be capable of launching ATGMs, while as far as I know, the US hasn't?

Sheridan.

And why use a ATGM when you can send a DU rod at mach 4?

Wikipedia posted:

The M551 Sheridan was a light tank developed by the United States and named after Civil War General Philip Sheridan. It was designed to be landed by parachute and to swim across rivers. It was armed with the technically advanced but troublesome M81/M81E1 152mm gun/launcher which fired conventional ammunition and the MGM-51 Shillelagh guided anti-tank missile.
It entered U.S. Army service in 1967. Under the urging of General Creighton Abrams, the US Commander of Military Forces in Vietnam at the time, the M551 was rushed into combat service in Vietnam in January 1969. In April and August 1969, M551s were deployed to units in Europe and Korea, respectively.[2] Now retired from service, it saw extensive combat in Vietnam, and limited service in Operation Just Cause (Panama), and the Gulf War (Kuwait).[2]
At the time of the M551's acceptance into service production in 1966,[2] the United States Army no longer used the heavy, medium, and light tank classifications. In 1960, with the deactivation of its last (M103) heavy tank battalion, and the fielding of the new M60 series tank, the U.S. Army had adopted a main battle tank (MBT) doctrine; a single tank filling all combat roles.[3][4] The U.S. Army still retained the M41 Walker Bulldog light tank in the Army National Guard, but other than the units undergoing the transitional process, the regular army consisted of MBTs. Partly because of this policy, the new M551 could not be classified as a light tank, and was officially classified as an "Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle".
The Sheridan was retired without replacement by an airborne tank that could swim. While missiles fired out of guns would prove a disappointment, the wire-guided BGM-71 TOW would give infantry fighting vehicles like the M2 Bradley the firepower to destroy armored targets along with the ability to carry troops. Though other light tanks were evaluated, the wheeled M1128 Mobile Gun System currently provides an armored 105mm gun platform that is lighter than a battle tank for fire support.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I think you're misremembering... The things went supersonic, carried enough missiles and bombs to fight their way to and from a target, and I honestly dont remember the soviets countering them. They were a deus ex machina

They were stealthy from look down radars and their attrition rate was actually really high. Hell the squadron commander and his WSO got shot down near the end of the book. so they basically had to fly REALLY low to be useful and they were still vulnerable.

Edit: gently caress beaten

Flikken fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 6, 2011

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

SyHopeful posted:

Short answer, not really.

The intentions of this thread are to cover the post-WW2 through glasnost period. Y'know, the Cold War. Certain posters have decided that it isn't enough having massive WW2 derails in every other thread and that this thread needed them too, but that's not an endorsement for WW2 stuff.

Honestly I love WW2 stuff, so if you have some good writeups or pics I suggest you make a WW2 Air Power thread or something similar :)

With the / it means airpower or cold war. At least that's how i read it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Trench_Rat posted:

what sort of airplanes did the french airforce/navy use between 1946 and ca 1962 (DeGaulle going gently caress you american swine we are going our own way)

F8f's

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

sanchez posted:

I think the fact that it happened during soviet times means it's easier for them to admit now. The B29 thing is hilarious.

The copying of the camera made me laugh.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Phanatic posted:

When would those times be?

Evacuating an embassy maybe?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Phanatic posted:

And did they need fixed-wing VSTOL to do it?

If the Syrian air force decided to interfere then yes we would have needed the harriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Harriers are pretty piss-poor for air-to-air combat. IIRC, much of their success in the Falklands was due to training and the AIM-9L.

edit: I'm pretty sure there was a Harrier pilot in here or ask/tell saying that about the only plane they could wax with any sort of regularity was the A-10 when they were swapping in and out of the gunnery range.

They are still better than helicopters if there is no CSG nearby and they are only planning on sticking around long enough to evacuate people from a third world country.