Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mlmp08 posted:

That is true. I'm just not sure how often that really comes up.

Take subsaharan Africa, not exactly the most stable region of the world, and we have nowhere nearby to fly landbased air for cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crossposted from the news thread:

What was old is new again: A 1980s vintage Soviet "new" Chinese aircraft carrier just got photographed doing drills in the Yellow Sea.
How long till they have a Forrestal/ enterprise type incident?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

TFR is undoubtedly a greater knowledge base regarding munitions, you guys are really loving smart, I've been meaning to ask if you could me what it is?

Looks like a practice round of some sort of cannon.

IYAAYAS01 should be better at identifying it though, have you measured the Diameter?

Flikken fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 11, 2012

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

lovely plastic ruler says 2.5cm. I don't have anything more precise at the moment.

Might be out of a 25mm Bushmaster from a M2/3 Bradley, or a 25mm round out of a GAU-12 from a Harrier/AC-130.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

grover posted:

It's worth pointing out that the P-51 cost 2x more than the P-36, which was just 5 years older. Yet its performance paid FAR more than that premium in dividends due to its enhanced capabilities.

That's not really a fair comparison considering how fast Aviation Technology was moving in those days

I'm going to miss some but between those two aircraft you have;
P-38, P-39, P-40, and the P-47. That and there was a war on.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Why was the B-29 never deployed in Europe? This came up in conversation the other day and the only think I could think of was that its operational range was clearly more needed in the Pacific theater.

Also, aside from B-26 raid, were there any non B-29 mass raids on Japan?

Yes, lots of airstrikes from carriers after the IJN was all but wiped out

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

One tiny nitpick - I have read that a lot of the people used to man AAA guns were not fit for front line service. However I have no hard data on what percentage of these people were invalids, too old, too young, women or some other disqualifying factor.

Manning the 88's had to be physically intensive not sure how many injured could actually man them.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Are we past the point of no return with the JSF where the shear momentum of the program carries it through to operations?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

80,000 feet and climbing yet still in a valley? Where the hell were they, mars? :tinfoil:

If there was a plane that could do it, it would be the blackbird

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Alaan posted:

The carrier that ate a torpedo always bugged me in Debt of Honor because it basically completely ripped of the carrier that got shot in Red Storm Rising. They'll never expect our half operational carrier out of no where!

I think Debt of Honor is a safe bright line where you know Clancy is completely off the rails. There is some downward quality before that, but oh boy is it clear there.

Executive Orders is completely :psyduck:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

The Proc posted:

I still want to know what the gently caress was up with those two hillbillies that spend half the book setting up their OKC style truck bomb plot, only to be pulled over and arrested and never interact with any other part of the story at all. I've never read any other book with such a completely self-contained plot thread that led nowhere.

You obviously haven't read Red Rabbit

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Shouldn't the Typhoon be with the European aircraft and not the British?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Flanker posted:

I would imagine the A-10s role is really being filled by UCAVs with their insane loiter times, optics packages and sub meter hellfire accuracy.

We need a UCAV with a GAU-8

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah I'm just reading the article now. How did Saudi Arabia end up with the Typhoon? They've always been Real Friends of America like Israel, you would think they would be getting F22s, or at least be on board with the F35.

They also bought Tornados back in the day so they have some strong ties to the same folks that made the Typhoon

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Also, unlike the A-10s, (some) AH-64s have radars :haw:

And can actually utilize things like cover and concealment. Granted that is a very Army way to fight a war so I wouldn't expect the Air Force to understand

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

That's pretty awesome!

Also, I love how Cage unstraps his helmet there. Hello, you still have to fly home!

Well he didn't have an oxygen mask to pull off after the fight like the movie that they copied off of were inspired by.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Nother

Seeing that building IRL is something else, it is goddamn MASSIVE

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Yep, it's just your opinion man. That's exactly what I posted.

:allears: please continue, i love long informative cyrano posts

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You didn't read all the posts, that's fine. I've said that if the figure of 137k for total South Koreans killed if accurate then I've been misled by the sources that claim 400,000 South Koreans killed and my statement is incorrect.

Yes, and you know, I thought in that thread we agreed more than we disagreed. You keep posting anecdotes about the Chinese liked to concentrate superior force when attacking a position, as if this was a radical new Chinese development in warfare, or that it was typical in the doctrines of other countries to launch attacks on a superior enemy with inferior forces.

Stop. Just Stop.

THIS, THIS is what this thread is about

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

movax posted:

This boggles my mind a bit. I know the Swedes are one of the few nations with a high-end domestic aerospace industry, but what was the geopolitical/their financial situation like during the Cold War to maintain such a large air force for a relatively small nation? Their Air Force alone would be several times the size of their neighbours Norway and Finland.

I guess they REALLY wanted to stay neutral during the cold war.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now, realistically, as a Soviet commander facing that poo poo I think the answer is "shell the gently caress out of it with artillery" perhaps followed by "send in a gently caress load of infantry."

In an open desert sure, but assuming the Swedes at the very least are able to deny aerial superiority to the Soviets the heavily wooded nature would nullify a LOT of the artillery fire causing the primitive shells to possibly burst in the trees. As far as infantry goes a mixture of interlocking fields of fire, there own infantry and their own artillery I can see a swedish defensive line being a very tough nut to crack.

:golfclap: :sweden:

E:

Craptacular posted:

I'm surprised it's not French. :smuggo:

It can't jettison it's cannon onto the battle field

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

grover posted:

I'm stumped on this one. This doesn't make any sense. The only reason to launch a missile like a torpedo is if you're a submarine. It's an insane amount of complexity in order to do this, and sub-launched missiles are derivatives of surface-launched missiles. The only reason they'd do this is for testing, but submarines fire different torpedoes that surface ships do; if you wanted to test a submarine-launched missile, you'd fire it from a submarine.

Was that video a fabrication?

Disguise the launch location from a stealth ship maybe?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

I thought that, too. But the missile only travels maybe 100 meters underwater, which wouldn't be that much of an advantage...would it?

This might have only been a preliminary test

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

A trio of F-15s fly over the LA Coliseum during the Super Bowl! (Click for big.)

Um what?

I hope you are joking. Nice soccer field down there.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

I don't know what you're gripen' about, I see nothing wrong with the description.

:golfclap:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

"alright, let's go to the fighter dealership and get a couple of fighters."

How cool would that be if that existed though?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

I was just thinking that after I posted it.

Saab should start opening up dealerships all around the world, what could possibly go wrong?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

grover posted:

haha:

In a move more becoming a sitcom, a Swiss F-16 overshot the runway at Bagram, Afghanistan and ended up in a minefield.

On a more :aaa: note, there was a Norwegian F-16 crash involving a power line slicing off the canopy, tail... (you know it's coming, don't mouse over if you don't want to know) ... and half the pilot.

Wtf was a swiss F-16 even doing at Bagram?

Edit: yup colonel I checked, The Swiss Airforce doesn't even operate the F-16

Flikken fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 9, 2012

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

priznat posted:

There have been surprisingly few decent modern tank simulators.

M1 Tank Platoon was fun in its day but it's massively dated now. Also all the enemy tanks were red for some reason.

Was that the SNES tank game? (or maybe it was NES, I can't remember)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

priznat posted:

It was a microprose one, I played it on Amiga but it was on IBM-PC too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Tank_Platoon

I never played the sequel, I don't think. Looks interesting though.

The best were the menus:

He would menacingly tap his sidearm on the sheet he's holding up when you selected an option, heh.

Ah, it was Super Battletank I was thinking of.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mzuri posted:

My very first sim was f-19 Stealth Fighter, and I played the pants off that, M1, f-117, 688, Gunship 2000 and later the Jane's sims. Especially ATF, Fleet Command, and U.S. Air Force. I'd pay good money for an updated version of each and every one of those games.

Ah, the memories of a wasted youth. Oh, and they need to start making those massive manuals again - excellent reading on the can, and they were educational as gently caress!

I liked sinking ships with SM-2's in Fleet Command. I was too impatient to wait on the subsonic Harpoons and Tomahawks to hit

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Good question. South Africa? Israel?

OK, here's a rumor that I picked up from Wikipeida: somewhere on it there's a really in-depth discussion of nuclear weapons, and who tried to get them, and who has the capacity to make them. (The list of countries that have had nuclear weapon programs at one time or another just to say "gently caress it, it's too expensive" is amazing. Australia, Brazil, and Switzerland are the names that stick out to me.) Anyway, the article also ranked nations in their ability to produce nuclear weapons in the future, if they didn't already have them. There were only three nations that could produce weapons in a short period of time (one to two years) as only they had plenty of experience with atomic technology and the resources to do it. Those were Germany, Canada, and Japan.

I'm going to discount the first two, and ask about Japan. According to the article, Japan has a large stockpile of weapons grade plutonium, and a space launch vehicle that is a copy of an American ICBM. So, if they decided to go nuclear, they could do it in very short order. My question is: is this true, or is this some weird leftover yellow peril talk?

Debt of Honor.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

durtan posted:

What is flying along this Blackbird?

A photoshop.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Goering was ace fighter pilot and a bona fide war heroe. We're all human with human foibles I suppose.

The Chinese also place their airborne formation(singular) under the command of the air force and the Soviet Union has it as a separate branch of the armed forces. Maybe because the air force has a bit more prestige in those countries versus the regular army.

The NAVY isn't even independent of the Army in China.

People's Liberation Army Navy.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Speaking of interservice dick waiving, would the US Army have NEAR the amount of Rotary wing support if instead of leaving Helicopters to the Army that the Air Force took them in 1947?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Basically, who cares that the Mi-28 can carry 8 Spirals on a single pylon?

Yes, but how is he going to win his sperg argument on which attack chopper is better?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MagnumHB posted:

Bases like Kandahar and Bagram are already extremely busy and crowded. I would think that there simply isn't enough room for a bunch of large bombers to be stationed there on an ongoing basis. Plus, the additional logistical load would probably be prohibitive, as you suggest.

I don't think Bagram has long enough runways

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Are B52s only going to be retired because the airframes are getting so goddamn old?

In 2050.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

grover posted:

"We Were Soldiers" was part of the battle of Ia Drang, wasn't it?

Hal Moore's BN was the one that didn't get really hosed up in that battle. I believe 2/7 Cav took a lot more casualties