Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

aphid_licker posted:

Holy poo poo that's huge

e: poo poo that's basically the maximum weight for a B-17

Another frame of reference that's always gets me is that an Su-27 is only 2 feet shorter in length than a B-17, but has 9 less crewmembers, and a bigger payload.

The same is true for the latter two things in the super hornet's case, but it's 14' shorter than a b-17 (Flankers are freakishly long even for a modern fighter apparently, or superhornets are chunky).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

What if we made a carrier that could take off and land vertically :thunk:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You just know that the marines are the reason that they decided to submerge the giant flight critical rotors in saltwater before taking off, not to mention all those LCD panels just corroding away.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hauldren Collider posted:

Uh, steel? You don't pancake the jet into a brick wall at the end of the runway. Draw the free body diagram. It has to take 70,000 lbs plus a little for redirecting some of the forward motion of the jet upward. It's just a ramp. I'm suggesting that it's possible you could bolt something to the end of the flight deck that could be un-bolted, and that this could take the force of the jet taking off. You probably don't have a lot of weight limitations either. Like I said before, it might not be trivial but the technical complexity is probably somewhere between a fiberglass kayak and a supersonic STOVL aircraft.

what if we got the marines VTOL fiberglass kayaks :thunk:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Groda posted:

Why does a ski jump work?

gives planes more time to fall before they would hit the water.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I'm just gonna leave it at this: some people did a ton of math to make sure that ski-ramps weren't useless.

Or that's what BAE systems and the UK MoD wants us all to think :thunk:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

movax posted:

2 years from now this thread will be calling for the disbandment of God Emperor Trump’s Space Marines, I’m sure.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, yes and no? A guy getting a grenade in the face and lit up by automatic fire would still be extraordinary even by the current expectations.

It'd only be extraordinary if they don't drop the grenades from a helicopter and burn down 65 houses in the process

Guess how many people with the city got charged as a result of that zero, don't let cops have explosives kids

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Great twitter thread on future USN submarine concepts for THE FUTURE (from back when it seemed like there might be one):

https://twitter.com/saltwatersteve/status/1011252755644764171

The illustrations are amazing. It's like the early days of Seaquest DSV! I had no idea anyone even floated (displaced?) multihull designs for military use.

The Typhoon class (from the 70's) used multiple hulls, it's part of why they look so wide.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Cost?

The problems with the F-35 will be worked out, eventually, and at that point it should be pure murder against anything aside from a F-22.

I think the unit cost of a eurofighter is comparable or higher than an f-35a at this point, which is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Can anyone in Europe afford to operate either option?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

wonder what fraction of that ship is asbestos.

also wonder if you can neutron activate asbestos into some super carcinogen :thunk:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Tetraptous posted:

Well, and that the Ka-52 was derived from the similarly armed single seat Ka-50. The pilot already has his hands full, adding a full turret to the mix probably wouldn't have helped things. Moreover, the Ka-50 actually has pretty incredible yaw authority--better than something like a Mi-28--and can bring the body around just about as quickly as a normal helicopter could slew the turret.

I wouldn't know how well the real thing worked, but at least in DCS: Blackshark, attempting run-on attacks with a single pilot in the Ka-50 is way too much work. Flying the machine, targeting the beam-riding missiles, and keeping situational awareness outside the cockpit for threats is quite a lot to do at once. Pop-up attacks were much easier, thanks to the good auto-hover system. If you must shoot on the move, strafing with guns and rockets seems more practical. I don't know if the Russians felt the same way, but they don't make single-seat attack helicopters anymore.

If there's anything I learned from playing DCS: Blackshark it's that 1. flying under power lines is way harder with a coaxial rotor 2. Trying to do things without the helmet mounted sight (or a track IR in the sim) is a giant pain in the rear end and 3. helicopters die really fast is they actually go near any sort of AA

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah but the first time a UCAV accidentally wastes a Marine company on the ground because they didn't have their infantry IFF transponder on, or it was broken, or they forgot it at the FOB that morning, you're going to have an enormous shitshow on your hands.

Didn't stop the v-22

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Wait, that's engine rich jet exhaust? I always thought that the displays were burning up life-uncomfortably-close-to-expired RATO bottles.

JATO and RATO are the same thing, both use rockets.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

To be fair countries have come real close before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seems someone else had the idea to guesstimate:

The question should be "how fast could a twin-F135ed F-35A/C go?"

Oh lawd he coming

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

To be honest I didn't even know we had enough people in this country crazy enough to be submariners to man that many of them at once.

Seems like one of the safer ways to escape all the spiders and snakes tbf

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

There's 0 problems with us physicists assuming everything is a friction-less sphere, it's good enough for the math to ballpark out most of the time.

The problem is when the engineers start doing that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

don't you mean bae this man?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MRC48B posted:

Every time one of these sunken subs gets mentioned, they always throw in that they were carrying torpedoes with nuclear warheads.

Part of me wonders how difficult it would be to do a Thunderball and recover me some slightly soggy nuclear warheads. Ransoming Miami is optional.

It's tricky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, what percentage is there and not crashing into a cargo ship...

I thought subs traditionally hunted fishing boats, not cargo ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s still bullshit the guy that filmed that got punished for laughing at old humvees being destroyed.

Didn't he get punished for intentionally sabotaging the humvees so that he'd have something to film?