Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It looks like a F16 with a growth hormone problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I know beggars can't be choosers but I'd much rather take a ride in a B-17F. Something about the G model bugs me.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

They were two things:

1. Short

2. Ordered to do so

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Aren't Mig-21s basically flying engines?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Nah it would have. It's not like in this scenario Iraq suddenly doesn't have oil.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Third, air defense sucked up an immense quantity of resources. By the middle of 1944 the German Luftwaffe had a million men on AAA duty, most of those deployed to heavy AAA units protecting cities and industrial centers. It wouldn't have turned the tide of the war or anything, but can you imagine what the gently caress even half of that figure freed up to do frontline service would have meant?

One tiny nitpick - I have read that a lot of the people used to man AAA guns were not fit for front line service. However I have no hard data on what percentage of these people were invalids, too old, too young, women or some other disqualifying factor.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Women, children and invalids may not have always served on the gun crews themselves but they did plenty of other jobs integral to AA defense like helping track bomber streams, acting as runners and so on. Incidentally I think Pope Benedict actually did work on a gun crew helping to aim it or something of that nature.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

it doesn't seem at all unrealistic that they could've equipped a few whole units with NVs.

Which would have quickly been chewed up by Allied air cover.

Edit: Well... not at night I guess. :)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I have to imagine that it's still around as the plan to continue using the A-10 for several more decades.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The F-22 is faaaaabuloooouuussss!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Personally I'd find it pretty fascinating to know the details of the logistics required to maintain all those pre-positioned equipment. How do they store it? Does it get rotated and if so how often? What do they do with the obsolete/unusable stuff?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Can we really even be sure he writes any of his books anymore? I always assumed he spent most of his time being a d-bag and only occasionally spent an hour or two to scan the stuff his team of ghost writers gave him for his yea or nay.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

This is probably the best thread for this considering all the cold war/modern era mental wargaming we do, but Strategy & Tactics press is going to start a new title called "Modern War" this summer. Just like this thread, it'll focus on cold war and modern conflicts, both real and hypothetical, and, like all S&T magazines, offer actual paper and chit style wargames for sale.

Here are the planned topics for the first six issues

Issue 1: Near future wars in Asia
Issue 2: Iranian threats to the middle east after a US disengagement
Issue 3: Piracy around the horn of Africa
Issue 4: The Six Day War
Issue 5: A new war on the Korean peninsula
Issue 6: Anti-insurgency operations during the Iraq War

From here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/103653/modern-war-magazine

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

There's also a demographic shift that will soon make labor in China much more expensive that it is now. Given the sheer amount manufacturing China does, the One Child policy has effectively set the country up to not have enough workers to keep up that capacity. Add on top of that a growing middle class of educated Chinese who don't want that sort of work and the price you're going to have to pay to an individual factory worker is about to go up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

stealie72 posted:

At this point, does the Bear serve any purpose other than "FEEL THE POWER OF MOTHER RUSSIA" dick waiving?

That's about all it is. I think Putin was the one who started it back up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

Don't forget China's War on Sparrows, aka the Four Pests Campaign which kinda backfired.

Yeah it's policies like this that, even if famine was not an uncommon thing in pre-Communist China, make this particular one very much attributable to Mao and his wacky ideologically driven theories of agriculture. If China had modernized its infrastructure and streamlined its state bureaucracy before embarking on the politically guided dismantling of existing farming practices they might have avoided famine or at least lessened its extent.

It should be noted that initially wrecking a nation's agricultural output through forced collectivization is not unique to China. For example, it happened in Czechoslovakia too where party hacks forced individual farmers to tear down the fences and hedgerows between farm plots in order to foster the collectivist spirit, but all they really did was ruin the method farmers had used for centuries to prevent the spread of disease and insect infestation between fields. While it didn't result in famine in that country like it did in China that's probably in part because of the much smaller size of Czechoslovakia. As Cyrano pointed out, the distance between food collection points and difficultly in keeping track of so much stock often times lead to things rotting in warehouses before they could be moved to where they were needed.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The only way the casualties were "evenly matched" is if you add weight to the UN figures to reflect that the Chinese have huge armies and generally don't give a gently caress if they take mass casualties.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Except the Chinese never had any significant superiority in total numbers in the theatre.

If the Chinese had wished to press their attack beyond early 1951 they would have had plenty of reserves to throw into the offensive.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I'm pretty sure that would get a kid killed today.

Either killed or sent to "special" classes prepared to deal with obviously disturbed children.

I had a friend who had this

When we had outgrown GI Joe sometime around 1989 we decided to take turns hitting it with a baseball bat. It was surprisingly hard to break.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 23, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

Also, you might want to watch the leeching. You get probated for that here.

Not leeching. The image is hosted by imgur. The link goes to the page I found it on.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Thwomp posted:

I love the plane just hovers above the waves for a second before appearing to do a complete flop into the ocean.

There's actually a real term for that: pancaking.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

A lot of the Warsaw Pact armies were relatively weak and poorly trained. I don't know how much help they would have been in a real war.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Let's look at a Taiwan Strait scenario...the U.S. would be operating from Guam, because unless China is letting their idiot generals command the first thing they would do is schwack Kadena on Okinawa

I wonder how long it would take to start using Clark Air Base or Subic Bay in the Philippines again.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 23, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Frozen Horse posted:

If Okinawa gets hit, the politics of Japan's involvement become more interesting, since the Ryukyu islands are part of Japan.

I'd guess that if China attacks Japan their SDF is allowed to, you know, defend. As to how capable a defense the JSDF could actually muster, that's another story.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The Hornet Centipede

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

It's like dropping an endless supply of dirty bombs all the way to the target!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Are those the kind of rocket torpedoes that caused the Kursk to sink?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Guys I think the ATR of JOFD is too OTP for KIXEM. You really ought to BID and see your DOIC before you QIM.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Russian jets? French jets?! Y'all a bunch of commies!

:911::canada:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The F-35 is shaping up to be a jet that supposed to do everything cool and sexy that people want jets to do nowadays (high tech, fast, LO, VTOL, etc) but in reality is turning into a massive boondoggle and can't seem to be made to do even a fraction of what was promised. Some countries, like Canada, staked a large portion of their future air capability on it and now they're afraid they've backed the wrong horse and it's about to cost them dearly.

It's a "all your eggs in one basket" fiasco that will cost a lot of money to fix, if it can even be fixed at all.

Edit: from the Wiki page, the F-35's current problems

The Helmet mounted display system does not work properly.
The fuel dump subsystem poses a fire hazard.
The Integrated Power Package is unreliable and difficult to service.
The F-35C's arresting hook does not work.
Classified "survivability issues", which have been speculated to be about stealth.[121]
The wing buffet is worse than previously reported.
The airframe is unlikely to last through the required lifespan.
The flight test program has yet to explore the most challenging areas.
The software development is behind schedule.
The aircraft is in danger of going overweight or, for the F-35B, too heavy for VTOL operations.
There are multiple thermal management problems. The air conditioner fails to keep the pilot and controls cool enough, the roll posts on the F-35B overheat, and using the afterburner damages the aircraft.
The automated logistics information system is partially developed.
The lightning protection on the F-35 is uncertified, with areas of concern.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 27, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

since it DID include STOVL, we get the mess we have today.

MARINES! :arghfist::mad:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Opinion: the emphasis on LO over (and possibly to the detriment of) most other aspects of modern jet designs is born out of the abject fear of high casualty rates in an air campaign (aka "That thing we do where we're supposed to triumphantly roam the sky over East Kerblockistan utterly uncontested and drop bombs anywhere and anytime we want like the very finger of God").

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

omgLerkHat! posted:

So in other words we should have military parades of physicists, technicians, aeronautical engineers, and nuclear scientists. A vast parade of :science::science::science::science:.

I like it.

No. Robots.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

BUFF Spotting

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

His expression says, "Heh, computer. What does it know? I could make better decisions than this thing."

"It's fast, but has it ever shot a German soldier in the face?"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

He's got the perfect voice for this sort of thing. "Wer back on Baalship"

Just towin' my Fulcrum down the road

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Sadly this whole debacle will ultimately just serve to bring the era of manned combat aircraft to an end that much faster, and that makes me sad. :(

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Are the Japanese even allowed by their constitution to make nuclear weapons?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Dude you can clearly see the inlets for a moment. It's obviously a hovercopter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Looks like an F-16 peeling away at the end there.