Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drzrma posted:

The thing that makes this so great for me is it goes all the way back to the Wright brothers. It may be apocryphal, but their response to a question in one of their meetings with the Army was something along the lines of "Give us an engine with enough power and we can make a kitchen table fly."

They knew what they were talking about. Not to dismiss Orville and Wilbur’s achievements in crafting the airframe, but it’s not a coincidence that heavier‐than‐air flight took off when it did.

People had been experimenting with gliders for years. The Wrights were the first mate a sufficiently powerful engine to a sufficiently light craft.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The original question talked about “human‐powered”.

Is that to be taken only as “birds, bats, and bugs don’t count”?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dy8MwLXBA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex posted:

Given that aluminium was being produced in usable ways back in the late 1800's, there is even a chance (if your guys are really knowledgeable) that your "Camel MK 2.0" could have an aluminium frame with a stressed skin. So you could theoretically have a frame that is equal to late WWII aircraft frames in a lot of ways, with designs that take into account post-war advances in weigh-savings and aerodynamics.

Yeah, aluminium was tricky stuff to work with back then, but if you already know how it behaves because you’re from the future, you could probably make a plane out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kemper Boyd posted:

One issue with aluminium from a late 19th-early 20th century POV was that it was incredibly expensive. For instance, the pride of the Russian court in St. Petersburg was an aluminium dining set.

Electrochemistry, and specifically the Hall–Héroult process, changed that beginning in 1888.

For some time after that, aluminium was affordable enough, at least for a prototype, but things like “not understanding metal fatigue” remained serious issues.

The first all‐metal plane flew in 1915 (Junkers J‐1).

I don’t think it’s in the spirit of the question to establish your own aluminium smelters, but I think you could do better than 1915 (and certainly better than the J‐1).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 10, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kemper Boyd posted:

While the process was invented in 1888, it took a while for production levels to rise though and it was WW1 that really got it going.

USGS’ Metals Prices book lists $8.00/lb in 1887. By 1898, it’s $0.306/lb. That’s a pretty big deal. It doesn’t go consistently below $0.20/lb till the 1940s.

That’s roughly twenty times as dear as steel (hot‐rolled bar), declining to ten times as dear by 1940.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buttcoin purse posted:

He was behind the accidental destruction of the B-29 "Kee Bird" though, I think in this thread or Aeronautical Insanity I remember reading suggestion that that work was probably rushed way more than it had to be.

The documentary makes the job look super sketchy, but who knows how much of that is creative editing and hamming it up for TV?

There are a lot of things that could go wrong on a plane that’s been sitting for fifty years, but “the B-29's auxiliary power unit's jury-rigged fuel tank began to leak gasoline into the rear fuselage” seems like the sort of thing that is entirely preventable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

But why would the subordinate be angry about not being told the information earlier by the c/o if it was the c/o's call either way?

Without watching the scene in question, I'm thinking the subordinate spotted the submarine and reported it to his CO, but the CO refused to radio it in till they had confirmation. A heated discussion ensued.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m just surprised they didn’t have to go up to lead, tungsten, or uranium.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It makes me sad that the Thunderscreech doesn’t hold the propeller‐driven speed record.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Was this before or after Apollo? Because that would be amazing in two entirely different ways. EDIT: It was during. He almost got thrown out of the program but Deke Slayton insisted he stay in. The guy who tried to get him canned quit in protest.

Remember, no matter how secure your job is, it will never compare to “crash helicopter while showing off, go on to command the most powerful and most expensive vehicle man ever built”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

I remember hearing about someone crashing the mission computer on JSTARS by plugging in a mouse because they didn't like the trackball or whatever.

I wonder if that was a software issue, something particular to the hardware (like using a special pinout), or just the fact that the port isn’t hot‐swappable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From Wikipedia’s article on cloud seeding:

Those clouds won’t know what hit ’em.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The A‐10 doesn’t even have to dispense a nucleating agent.

It just fires a warning burst from its main gun and the clouds wet themselves in fear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craptacular posted:

Chinese South China Sea island claim map

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

So speaking of, is there a Tom Clancy book where NATO decides it's had enough of some terrorist group and tries to activate its alliance to fight against it?

Too pedestrian for Clancy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xthetenth posted:

Pounds, not kilos.

slugs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Why would you disguise a tender as a fishing boat? I don’t think Vietnam likes fishing boats hanging out in their waters, either.

Because it’s a more valuable target? I guess if you seize the tender, you put who‐knows‐how‐many fishing boats out of commission.

Still, it seems like an unusual precaution to take unless Vietnam has already made a habit of seizing Chinese tenders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mortabis posted:

I wonder if little quadcopter drones will lead to troops getting issued with skeet shotguns to shoot them down. In my mind's eye I'm picturing a dude running around in tacticool gear carrying a 28" o/u.

Germany won’t stand for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think it’s satire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just play Pussy Riot over the Guard channel. :v:

Ruskies don’t listen to that anyway.

See: Turkey’s shootdown last year

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Precision Carpetbomber

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Hodor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Gun Salute

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Things You’ll Never Believe the Pentagon Bought

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Scandium

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Bottoms Up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
B‐21 Troll

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You don’t need to be good when you’ve got the Genie.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most of 58-0787’s parts were still airworthy, too, but they didn’t reproduce.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Concordat posted:

Thank God God Hates For Feds Wolf 359.

DONT DEAD OPEN INSIDE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fojar38 posted:

"Bomb China" hasn't been a viable foreign policy option since the Korean War and that was even before the Chinese acquired nuclear weapons. They don't need ASBM's to take this option off the table.

Unleash Chang!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Six‐week hike through the jungle. :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there any truth to this tale?

quote:

During World War II, BBC News was broadcasted to Nazi occupied Europe. Each news program opened with a live broadcast of Big Ben tolling the hour—the magical sound of freedom. Ingenious German physicists found a way to determine the weather conditions in London based on tiny differences in the tone of the broadcasted ding-dongs. This information offered invaluable help to the Luftwaffe. When the British secret service discovered this, they replaced the live broadcast with a set recording of the famous clock.

It sounds implausible, though not impossible, that telling comes from a kooky‐rear end blog, and I a quick Web search doesn’t turn up anything substantial corroborating it.

It also seems like the kind of thing I should have heard already if it’s true. Certainly someone here would have.

If it’s true, it’s a good story.

But you know what would be a better story? Manipulating the broadcast to give false information, and it’s precisely the sort of thing the British would have tried during the war. That’s another reason to doubt it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

That seems highly unlikely. If such a thing is even possible it'd require modern computers to pull all the number crunching that this kind of advanced signal analysis requires. And even then I strongly doubt that the quality of the signal was good enough to make said tiny differences really noticeable in the noise.

Even oscilloscopes were pretty crude back then. Self‐triggering wasn’t available on commercial units till after the war.

I think you could reasonably infer the temperature of the bell, for whatever that’s worth. It has a large thermal mass and it’s in a semi‐sheltered location, so probably not much

The rate of the clock is affected by various factors weather, but there’s too little information given by this to be useful.

If they could wring enough detail from the harmonics to tell them about atmospheric pressure or humidity, that would be something.

But for all that this, u‐boats and Nazi‐occupied France exist. Could Big Ben really tell the Nazis something they didn't already know?

TTerrible posted:

A lot of this happened. Mis-reporting the location of bombing raids to slowly walk german targeting away.

I know. That’s what makes me suspect they would have done the same thing with the chimes. It’s an obvious ploy for a counterintelligence service that’s already manipulating damage reports.

What I would more readily believe is that the British came up with the notion that it may be possible to infer meteorological data from a live chime broadcast, and played recorded chimes as a precaution.

e: This book says live chimes were suspended “to prevent the sound of the [V‐1] explosions broadcast with the chimes over the air giving the enemy an advantage in locating their targets.” It gives dates so I’m inclined to believe it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 23, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

See that box near the top of the frame? That’s where the microphone is. There’s not a lot of fog ’twixt that and the bells.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Five thousand years of yurt kneelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Concordat posted:

What causes this cartoon poo poo?

I expect it was intentionally made non‐functional with an explosive charge, perhaps to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.