Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Just to put in my 2c I'm graduating with a Computer Science/Statistics double degree in the spring. I have multiple job offers with six digit salaries, and I'm turning down interview requests because I don't have time for them all. It's disgustingly easy to find work with a CS degree. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Certainly a cs degree isn't a bad career track at all, but I was mostly posting knowing full well that mortabis' easy six figure for fresh college grads would get walked back to "if you're qualified and actually getting paid that straight out of college is not the most common result, terms and conditions apply." If the key to landing a job as a twenty-two year old that puts you in the top quintile of American household income was a basic four year degree from any reasonable state school, cs would be way more popular.

CS would be more popular if people could hack it. Finding someone who can understand the discrete math and logic that goes into computer science, and can reason about code, correctness, and runtime/space complexity rather than just being able to throw together a Python program that kinda sorta does what you want it to do, probably, is really hard. The dropout rates from CS at my school are ridiculous. There just aren't enough people who are good enough at math to really get it. There's a terminology problem here where someone who writes code and someone who designs algorithms and software are both "software engineers", but it's often akin to the difference between a bricklayer and an architect.

EDIT: Also, Sperglord, none of the major technology companies (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc) do much in the way of outsourcing, if at all. The outsourced engineers usually just aren't good enough. Actually, it's much more often the case that people from the traditional "outsource" countries like India and China come here to learn CS and then stay here because the job prospects are so much better.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've also been reading a lot about really horrible quality control issues in a lot of Asian universities, especially when you get into the non-flagship regional universities; basically the Chinese and Indian equivalent of our land grant schools. Problems with people getting promoted through the programs and netting a degree on the other side without actually mastering the material to a level where they're of any use to the firms that want to hire them. With the ever-accelerating commoditization of education in the US I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get there in a few years myself, but that's another bitch for another subforum.

Yeah, a lot of my friends are Chinese exchange students. They tell me that they come to the US because apart from the very top tier colleges, Chinese university is basically glorified daycare. And even the top universities aren't nearly as good as the top or even middle-top tier in the US.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Now you're just making poo poo up.

Jesus. Wow. Do you have sand in your vagina? To be quite honest, "narrowly avoided" sounds to me like you flunked out of Discrete I.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the illustrious career of forums poster Mortabis. For the record, I got straight As in the compsci classes I took, but found writing code to be extremely stressful and decided I didn't want to end up bitter and frustrated like my dad. So I changed my major and went on to do other things.
I've been lurking this thread for a while for the cool airplane pictures, which have been unfortunately sparse as of late. Mortabis really doesn't seem like a high school dropout to me, does he really seem like one to you?

Anyway, here is a plane picture for content:

EDIT:

Sperglord Actual posted:

I would name at least one major tech company that does, except my father still works there and is (probably rightly) very paranoid about his job security. I will say that his time there has involved an inordinate amount of fixing broken code sent in from said company's overseas branches.

That's what I hear as well. One company I got an offer from is not primarily a tech company but is apparently hiring 2000(TWO THOUSAND!) technology employees, including hundreds of software engineers straight out of college, over the next 24 months because they are trying to insource all the stuff they previously outsourced overseas and got ridiculously burned for doing so. A lot of companies can get away with lower-quality outsourced engineers, and that's perfectly fine. There's a market for that. Any company that does most of its business electronically needs a higher caliber, and for that, there's only a few countries you can go to, with (from what I understand) the US, UK, and Israel being the top 3 by a wide margin. And those 3 countries just aren't producing graduates at a fast enough rate to fill the demand. Mostly because people with the requisite skills are just plain hard to find.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 9, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Is it totally implausible that we could just build more f22s later? I know some tooling and poo poo has to be rebuilt but cone on. If we need more we can start making more again.

For the record I agree gates was wrong and stupid.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

It would probably take a year to actually get poo poo set up and get subcontracts cranking out the individual parts again. Lockmart says $200M up front to do it, so I'd plan on 400M.

If it was a decision based on the idea that "We don't need to plan for this much simultaneous warfare," I wouldn't necessarily mind (I would disagree, but I wouldn't be able to say "THIS IS loving STUPID" like I can now). But in this case, there was a clear A to B to C progression. It was a conscious decision based on a thought process that said "If we cut the number of assets we can't meet the current requirement so we'll change the requirement." It's the same thing as cutting flight hours then cutting the requirement to be be Combat Mission Ready qualified. Which I can neither confirm nor deny has actually loving happened. :ninja:

2.5 was actually the requirement through the Cold War. If you recall, the US went from 0 to 2 really loving fast in 1942. Arguably more than two, just based on how the Pacific/Asian war was spread out. If you further recall, just fighting in CENTCOM stretched a lot of the military to the breaking point, and in some cases beyond. That was barely ONE major theater. And now we've got a resurgent rear end in a top hat Russia and a rapidly advancing China that's actively pursuing regional parity with the combined forces of the US and allies as well as loving blue water power projection. This is a dangerous time to be making half-century deep cuts in the only Western military left that's worth a poo poo.

The point is that if push comes to shove we can do it. Yes it'll be more expensive, but $400 million when our government spends more than $1 trillion a year and the F-22 is already about 150 million per plane is kinda chump change when we'd be buying several hundred of them. I also am ready to believe their $200 million number. They've probably mothballed most of the tooling.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
It really is. You pay them to make more. Maybe you pay more than you otherwise would have. It isn't harder to restart than getting the things built in the first place.

EDIT: unless you meant mothballing the tooling. Yeah I don't know anything about manufacturing. My point is just that if we need more F-22s, we can get more F-22s, it might take longer and it might be more expensive, but we aren't screwed or anything.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

movax posted:

He's talking more about the institutional knowledge stuck in the heads of the workers and engineers who worked on the assembly line for the first 187 + YF-22 that isn't documented anywhere. This problem exists across any corporation and any manufacturing sector, there is always a human factor.

That makes sense. But that still doesn't mean we can't restart it and make more. There would be hiccups but less hiccups than if it were an entirely new program.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

MrChips posted:

Having said that, I imagine that it would be so expensive to restart F-22 production that it would probably make more sense to just build a new aircraft.

There is just no loving way that's true. :rolleyes:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

So let's say the production line kicks off. Who's gonna fly them? Pilots? Oh yea they need about a year or so of training to get sped up.

What about other airframes? They need pilots too. New ones take even longer to train.

Same for maintenance, tooling, space availability on existing airfields, gas, personnel to support the new Raptor personnel, etc.

200-400 million is just hilarious. The costs would be nearly billions.

That's all true for any aircraft. We're talking the costs to restart the raptor run. If we need more planes, and the choice is a new airframe or more raptors, do you seriously think the raptor would be more expensive than a clean sheet design?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Plinkey posted:

e: What you can't make this Radar run Matlab? How am I supposed to make it work!

Hahaha oh man this is so true. Engineers are the worst programmers I've ever met. The problem is that they have extremely limited experience and formal training in programming, but they are also extremely clever. They combine these two things to create programming atrocities, because instead of doing what a less clever person would do and google for the canonical solution they will come up with an extremely clever yet bad way to do it with the small number of things about programming that they already know.

They also universally love matlab. I don't understand it.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Hey man, some of us despise MATLAB. I just can't deal with the whole 'every number is a double' typing. Trying to get it to read three byte 2's complement numbers expressed in hex took a whole day.

But MATLAB still makes better plots than any alternative I'm aware of, so I still use it almost every day.

There's a similar problem in JavaScript. Newer browsers have this wonderful hack called typed arrays which can store raw binary data, but if you don't have that the only way is to use a character string to store the digits (possibly with base64 encoding to save space).

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Listen, that laser is cool as gently caress and if you disagree you're wrong.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm skeptical that you could create a ballistic missile that could do much in the way of dodging interceptors, considering its terminal trajectory is mostly dictated by gravity.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I have a feeling that in 25 years if the British carriers need catapults, they can figure out a way to retrofit it in, given how we managed to retrofit that stuff on old Midway class carriers.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

It's probably nothing more than a well-dressed float. That's all it'll ever be used for.

Hacking doesn't take territory. Keep in mind that China has attempted more than once to move into Vietnam and made the US' biggest errors over there look brilliant in comparison. I can only think of two military successes China can point to in the past century: the Communists over the Kuomintang and knocking the UN on its rear end in Korea (of course, they were pushed back but initially it was a hell of a thing). Everything else has been really, really bad.

The latter was also at the expense of ludicrous numbers of troops in human wave assaults.

Also worth noting though: The PLA is one of the world's largest militaries. Sure, most of their units are probably a giant shitshow since they're intended to keep the proletariat and peasants in line but I suspect they have some extremely competent units within their million-plus manpower.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

TasogareNoKagi posted:

How about an SSN carrying a DSRV into a combat situation because ~plot~?

What are you talking about? It was their plan from the get go to use the thing.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I don't care how clever their military modernization is, I wouldn't trade any part of their government for any part of ours. Russia categorically sucks. We may suck, but holy balls do they suck worse.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I love how that article blames deregulation when it's pretty obvious that arbitrage is only possible because of stupid regulations.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

That seems like a really bad (yet awesome) idea.

Why would you do this? Emergency pickup or something?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Alaan posted:

At some point during Iraq/Afghanistan someone realized that an Apache is both faster than other choppers and has it's own guns and rockets for self protection. So for absolute OOOOOH poo poo scenarios they rigged up some mounts to lift people out on them.

Definitely not standard operating procedure though and I think it only happened for real a few times. Wounded guy goes in the gunner seat, gunner gets to ride the side for the trip of a lifetime in which he probably has no hearing afterwards.

They don't have earpro?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Dietrich posted:

It seems to me that the Chinese armed forces are paper tigers who's only real capability lies in keeping their population in check and will seriously be strained now that China's 10% yr/yr growth has all but stalled out and the 900 million Chinese who got left off the economic improvement boat realize what's up but maybe that's just what I want to believe.

They are a joke now, but that's no reason to rest on our laurels.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Baloogan posted:

And really the B-25 has the F-22 beat in the RCS category too.

Uh, no?

EDIT: regarding China, they may have a lot of advantages in the west pacific, but we also have the combined militaries of Korea, Japan, Australia and so on, and all of their militaries are also growing.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
What Taiwan needs is some Israeli ballistic missile defenses.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That was 2 years ago.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
If Putin's aggression has been a wake up call to NATO I've yet to see it. Wake up call to Poland maybe? Doesn't look like Western Europe cares enough to fund their armies more yet.

Seems to me that over the last 6 years we have not done very much to instill confidence in our commitment to our allies.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
You say they are still asleep from the Cold War. I'm sure that gives Ukraine lots of comfort. Why are we not sending them more equipment? If the Russian military is so bad, why are we that afraid of pissing them off and actually defending countries we have treaties with? (Don't tell me we didn't have a treaty with Ukraine...we absolutely did.) We ought to be willing to fight much harder to defend the system where territories are exchanged with treaties and not bombs.

Why are all our friends (mercurial friends though they may be) in the middle east getting bumped off while we wring our hands and blather about promoting democracy when that results in electing the Muslim Brotherhood, followed by the immediate end of the democracy we promoted?

Why is Israel's chief negotiating partner with Hamas Egypt? What did we do to make Egypt easier for the Israelis to deal with than US (answer: Barack Obama).

China's forcing its way around the South China Sea while we sit on our hands. It just seems pretty wrong somehow. We have secretaries of state jetting around the globe talking about "resets" and "including all parties" and "preventing unilateral decisions" and everyone's wise to the fact that our talk is cheap. We're never going to get decisive unless it's against jihadis. I find this a rather depressing state of affairs.

If you can come up with some convincing argument that we aren't completely retreating from defending the aforementioned system of treaties-not-bombs, I would welcome that. It'd cheer me up. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

Same basic reason complaining about the USPS losing money is loving stupid.

Why's that stupid? Yes it's Congress' fault, but that doesn't make the complaint less valid.

And you CAN in fact compensate people more to fill positions that are harder to fill...this is how everyone does it, even the military, they just aren't allowed to do it with salaries for exceedingly stupid reasons so they try and find other ways. It's not rocket science...

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

What's the free market solution to charging hamburger hill?

It''s not a "free market solution" any more than the fact that we actually pay soldiers at all. Soldiers get extra combat pay, right? Why are you being so obtuse?

PittTheElder posted:

Because the USPS's job is to provide affordable postal service to everyone, regardless of geography. "Make money" is not among it's mandates, because it's a service.

That is arguably a stupid job.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

In the military, unlike the private sector, you can go to jail or face other restrictions and remittances of basic freedoms and pay for not doing your job instead of just being fired or sued. This of course affects pay scales.

You're still being obtuse. You get paid all sorts of things in order to encourage you to do something pretty undesirable. You get a GI bill. You get Tricare. You get lots of stuff I don't know about cause I was never in the military. Point is, the military does ALL SORTS of "free market" stuff to get people to sign on. Saying that you'll pay people more to do stuff people don't wanna do is totally reasonable, and I have no idea why you guys don't get this.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

It's only stupid to the extent that it's kinda dated. It's not even close to the stupidest thing in the Constitution.

I'm not gonna argue with that.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The military pays based on rank rather than position with a tiny handful of exceptions, such as combat pay, drill sergeant pay, language proficiency in very specific jobs, and other rare circumstances. This is hammered home from day one. Trying to balance special pay for every job deemed undesirable would be dumb, particularly when taking into account geographically undesirable locations. If the only thing motivating you is money never sign up, tia.

OK, so the military doesn't give special pay...except when it really needs to. This seems to be making my point for me. I never said that pay should be the only motivator for the army, but let's be serious, how many fewer people do you think would sign if there were no GI bill, or how many people wouldn't re-enlist if you didn't get a vested pension benefit? Come on. Sure, money isn't the only motivator for serving, but it is A motivator.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Is it now? Perhaps because it provides a service other than "make my cousin's company rich"?

The USPS delivers its service non-stop for affordable prices and good reliability. And is mandated by the constitution.
It's actually a pretty sweet federal agency.

Yes, it is still arguably a stupid job. There is an argument to be made that this should be left to the apparently much-hated free market. It is a totally reasonable argument. There is also an argument to be made that it is essential that everyone receive government-subsidized mail delivery as a means of communication. In the past this was far more compelling than the former, but I believe it is becoming less so now. Whether or not it is still compelling is worthy of debate, in my view. I get the sense people here do not agree with me, but I think I'm being pretty reasonable.

If you believe anything about modern economics (basically so long as you aren't literally Marxist) you recognize that the entire economy is based on the idea that making a company rich makes everyone rich. That's not an extreme libertarian viewpoint, that's literally the foundation of modern economics. Much like Newtonian mechanics it is not a perfect theory but it generally works well in practice. I'm sure someone will come along and try to slay me with some exceptions; I point such naysayers to my previous sentence.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, there's no unpaid volunteers in the military. But if you want to see the gigantic difference between free market value for what the military does vs. actual compensation paid to members of the military for those jobs, look at the millions of words spent bemoaning how much contractors got paid for GWOT jobs.

There are, in effect, almost zero free-market forces within the military other than the very basic "I get paid if I join up."

Really? Cause I hear all the time about people doing things like signing up to be an officer because they want to be paid more, or joining because they needed to pay for college, or re-enlisting because of the good health insurance or good re-enlistment bonuses, or because their particular job gives them valuable training and so on and so forth. I also know plenty of people who would have served but decided not to because they would be forgoing significantly more cash in the private sector. I'm sure most if not all join up for patriotic reasons as well and that may be part of why they don't get paid as much as contractors. That doesn't change the fact that if you increased the pay that soldiers get, you'd increase the number of people who want to be soldiers. And if you increased the pay that particular hard-to-fill jobs get, more people would want those jobs. As shown by the fact that the military actually does this for certain extremely hard to fill jobs.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Yay, now I get accused of being a DL. That's what you get for trying to be polite to Marxists. Whatever. I'll go back to lurking. Here's airplane pictures, why I lurk the thread in the first place. For the record, I think the only thing I have in common with Mortabis is being a conservative.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 10, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
No, I'm not mortabis. You can go through my post history if you don't believe me. But I am going back to lurking.

I agree with you by the way, it is Congress being dumb, but I feel like if Congress were less dumb it'd be a reasonable thing to do.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm going to be upset if they don't name the new bomber the B-3 Shadowfortress

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Madurai posted:

Well, then they'd definitely have a lawsuit from Boeing, then.

Why? Boeing doesn't own ____fortress.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Is that a thrust reverser I see on that viggen's engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

:lol: Yeah, me too. I also dealt with him in person when I was in high school. He was awfully self-righteous for someone who got famous by completely loving up from start to finish (to include the shootdown itself).

Who are you talking about?

EDIT: nvm, should finish reading the thread...