Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There is a video on youtube of an apache going down after the pilot is wounded in the shoulder by small-arms fire that is easy to search down. It's pretty graphic with taliban being taken out so I don't want to link from work. Obviously very unlucky for the aircraft, but they also looked to be extremely low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fearless posted:

I think it might have been more that the breakwater on the front of the vehicle folded over and allowed water to flow into it via the driver's hatch.

Yeah. The trim vane collapsed. I don't know whether it was put up improperly or broke.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To contextualize historical drinking by Americans, in 1790 per capita consumption was about 6 gallons of pure ethanol. That works out to about 1280 5% abv beers, or three-and-a-half a day, every day. Consumption peaked around 1830 at 7.1 gallons, which works out to about four 5% beers a day. Though these figures are much higher than modern rates, the 500 calories or so is more significant than the intoxication. At least for the median drinkers....

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Preechr posted:

Wouldn't pilots and aircrew get cancer at a higher rate anyway? Reducing the amount of atmosphere and magnetosphere between you and the sun tends to expose you to more ionizing radiation.

Aircrews are exposed to more radiation, for sure. Airline pilots receive 2 to 4 times the annual dose of radiation compared to people on the ground. This raises the rate of fatal cancer from about .01% to .02-.04%

My uncle was a PBR commander in Vietnam and had a whole bunch of cancers. He always insisted it was because agent orange that ended up concentrated into the rivers as runoff but the VA disagreed. He felt that he could trace a decline in his health to his tours, but I note he was also wounded in combat, so it's complicated.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Continuing a soccer game while under terrorist attack just because they shot down all the drones seems weird to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcwzOouXw04

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

That's rich coming from the country that invented Krokodil

Desomorphine was invented in the US in 1932, when the plan to bring down Russia in 2017 was first put into place.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The most catastrophic way for a boiler to fail is to run it dry, overheat the tubes, and then dump make-up water which instantly flashes to steam causing an explosive expansion that would wreck everything like a bomb going off. You usually need a whole chain of failures and negligence to make that happen which seems implausible on a crewed ship with even a modicum of naval discipline. I mean, it's conceivable but it's way more likely that stuff breaks and they just have to shut boilers down.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Craptacular posted:

So, Wikileaks?

This. It's basically exactly what is happening right now: a foreign government is selectively leaking intelligence it obtained for it's own purposes using a third party, with perhaps broader motives, who is a willing tool. Germany is getting the wikileaks treatment now that Merkel is running for another term vs Russia's preferred candidate.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Father Pedro Arrupe's liberation theology held that you should change corrupt structures from within.

But I don't think he'd be cool if you made sure the Nazis killed only like 6 million innocent people instead of 8 million.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

IDK I think those two million people might thank you quite a bit though.

And I think PA, SJ would say God wants you to be willing to sacrifice yourself to do good rather than do your nazi job juuuuust a little worse than you could have so that you can still be cool with Hitler but maybe think of yourself as not evil. I'm super an atheist but I think he'd have some point.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

There are no laws, and that dude is the 7th faithless elector to refuse to vote for Trump.

(Per Wikipedia) 29 states have laws to punish faithless electors. Only Michigan and Minnesota would void the faithless votes, the rest would stand but the elector could be fined or jailed after the vote is counted if convicted. 21 states have no laws on the matter.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Those laws have never been tested though, and a whole lot of people think they'd likely be found unconstitutional.

I'd say it would be nice to find out soon, but it's easy to imagine the chaos and damage to our political system if the EC did something like that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DC traffic is already a warzone.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Considering all of the contenders were basically fine (lol except KRISS probably), picking one based on whose strippers had the biggest titties might actually have yielded a better result :v:

And it's not missing the point to say it shouldn't be hard to pick one. It's hard to pick, e.g., between the X-32 and X-35 because in that case we didn't know everything about how the program would play out over several decades. A pistol is a pistol is a pistol. There's no new technology, there's not much risk that you're going to go massively overbudget on something that already exists and is in serial production. At the end of the day it doesn't matter much what you pick so long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger, can hit a dinner plate at 50 yards, and doesn't go bang when you drop it. Sometimes it's better to just make a decision than make sure it was the best decision.

VVVV simply not replacing the M4 is the correct result. It's perfectly adequate.

So what you're saying is we should have stuck with the M9, too.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

What does that even mean?

I suspect it means that someone scores the M16/M4 on some arbitrary scale and then does the same with proposed replacements. To pass it has to double the score.

At least when I was involved, that's more or less how personnel hiring works in most of the non-military goverment. Competing candidates are scored on their KSAs and qualifications plus modifiers for veterancy, disability, etc, and whoever has the highest score gets the job. A RIFed disabled veteran had so many bonus points that as long as they met minimum qualifications they'd get whatever job they applied for.

e: Ugh. Brain dead from working downtown DC during this mess. To finish my thought: the government loves systems like this because it's supposedly quantitative and fair and less prone to corrupt manipulation, nepotism, etc.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 20, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Supposedly these are some.

They also seem to use a 40-ish mm thing they rigged up.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 28, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Virginia's not Democratic. Certainly not the parts with large military bases (Petersburg area, Hampton Roads, Quantico, etc.) The house of delegates is 2/3rds Republican.

As a region, Hampton Roads went 355,580 Hillary - 292,286 Trump. Just sayin'

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Flikken posted:

How many casted absentee ballots back to their home states?

The composition of absentee ballots can't possibly be quantified even if we knew the total cast, so I don't know. Maybe there were 64,000 absentee votes for Trump and none for Hilary from people living on base making some other states slightly more "Republican?"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Survivors of the derail emerge from the wreckage of the thread.

Ukrainian 'civil war'

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Murgos posted:

That link just says "ran aground while docking". Does the Navy use pilots when in foreign ports? I can't imagine there are unmarked hazards in that major a facility.

The article I saw said that the ship dragged anchor in high winds.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Anta posted:

But don't the North Koreans have a history of doing their best to look dangerous, in a very public way. I don't know if we can assume that they would want that information to be kept quiet. Of course, in that case, I don't understand why they would not just announce that they have it. Other than the whole "Nukes are clean and honorable, chemical weapons are nasty and dishonorable" perception.

They officially deny that they have chemical weapons, but are not signatories to the conventions against production and stockpiling. Literally everyone is certain that they have massive stockpiles and ample production capacity of all manner of chemical and biological agents. NK act crazy but are not stupid, so the idea that this is some very intentionally unsubtle signalling of their capabilities makes complete sense, and the thought that someone would take this sort of risk to frame them up is about as close to unbelievable as you can get. Don't forget that this weird situation arose not so long ago: https://news.vice.com/article/did-north-korea-really-publish-pictures-of-a-biological-weapons-facility

As for the different stance wrt nukes, I think it's just alignment with the world's apparent conclusion that nukes are a necessary evil but CW is a no go.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

I think this point of view seems naive. How can the North Korean institutions not be stupid, with human disaster at the top and bottom of the organization?

I think it's a dangerous underestimation to assume NK is stupid. They might not care about their people, but the ones making strategic decisions have managed to maintain power in the face of basically universal resistance, which I think is more or less the fundamental imperative of their broader strategy.

Mortabis posted:

This makes no sense because preventing proliferation of chemical weapons is a fool's errand. You can make phosgene in your kitchen. A bunch of wacky japanese cultists managed to make VX and Sarin.

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm putting forth a theory as to why NK would bother to officially deny that they have something that everyone on earth is certain they have, that's all.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This in depth analysis was linked in the "stuff blowing up" thread: https://www.bellingcat.com/uncategorized/2017/02/10/death-drone-bombs-caliphate/

For the most part the ISIS drones are dropping modified 40mm grenades.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Again, this is not how over/under bets work.

edit: some video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pwz-zNsGTc

I think the strikes would have hit in the dark. The background video may be from earlier Russian cruise missile strikes.

e: A possible video of the strikes.
https://twitter.com/thestevennabil/status/850165874224840704

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 7, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think he means more Hizbollah's disinclination to buy tanks or helicopters, but strong desire to buy the latest anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles.

I dunno. They have some really.... interesting vehicles.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

New sleeper cab model looking good.

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/851876796270292993

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I really hope someone asked, "Warships can superimpose turrets, why can't technicals?"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

feedmegin posted:

You can /see/ the UK from the Continent on a good day. The ranges involved are ridiculously shorter.

Edit: Frunze BTW surely not Fruzne?

I don't think the question is worth such a dismissive answer; the technology of even inertial guidance has come a long way since 1944 and we know that even North Korea has access through China to modern sensor and computational hardware. Not to mention we've helpfully surveyed to 1-meter-or-whatever accuracy our entire globe. In fact, I'm fairly certain that we have folks whose job revolves around answering the question, and that's probably why we won't get a real answer here.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

my dad posted:

Apologies for barging into the thread/forum, but should I be worried about this fellow here? Pic taken just over 20 minutes ago or so.

e: And now there's snippets of Russian pilot chatter (I think? hard to make out, really) on 8895.0 kHz radio band. That'd be one of the Tu-95 frequencies
Eh, I'm willing to drop this one as weird noises.
e2: And I may have been wrong about what this frequency is. :v: Just answer the first question if you don't mind.

I think that if it was actually time to worry, you wouldn't see anything that matters showing up on flight tracking sites.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that it'd last a good while.

The ionization effect of high altitude nukes can effect the propagation of certain radio frequencies for as long as a week, but the effects are somewhat unpredictable. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288306.1962.10420054

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm deprived of apocalyptic fantasy because I figure I'm not surviving any scenario in which DC and all the gov poo poo around my house are the target of nuclear weapons. The only paranoid thing I keep in my bag of regular emergency crap is potassium iodide because I work a block from the Whitehouse and figure a dirty bomb thing has a thousandth of a percent chance of actually happening or whatever.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

any SAGE enthusiasts in the house?

specifically, enthusiasts who can tell me more about GATR and why what I presume is an antenna for an AN/FRT-49 has this weird ring arrangement with small patch antennas or whatever those are on it (??)

i walked all the way around the top of a mountain to get these photos

It looks like maybe a direction finding array, but I don't really know anything about this system. If it's only direction finding they wouldn't need much bandwidth and could be smaller and so for a lower frequency than if they were transmit/receive. I can't really tell how big those panels are, but I'd guess quarter wave is plenty and maybe they could be really compact in panel format.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It would be real nice if this actually works.

e: The article doesn't seem to actually come out and say it but this is supposedly an ICBM class target.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 20, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is some interesting stuff about road-mobile ballistic missile construction.

Also, it would be extra cool if that ICBM intercept test goes well.

https://twitter.com/DuitsyWasHere/status/855222408092844032

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This article doesn't mention it, but I heard elsewhere that the guy they got this time was doing aid work. It's a little different when somebody's taking risks to try to help people, vs a loving tourist.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mortabis posted:

This changes very little. Nobody should go to North Korea, for any reason. Traveling there puts you at risk, it puts ordinary North Koreans you interact with at risk, and it puts the United States at risk by potentially giving our adversary a hostage.

Maybe his motivations were more pure than the guy who wants to brag to his friends, but the effects of his actions were not different.

Naw. All that is true of a huge amount of the work done by US NGOs, USAID, and Peace Corps. It generally is more a positive than a negative and all orgs take risk into consideration. Getting it wrong occasionally will happen, though rarely, and it's not really a reason to stop all that work that both helps the helpless and generates goodwill and useful contact.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, but that isn't a thing in North Korea. Maybe you can spread international goodwill doing relief work in the Sudan, but in North Korea, aid work is only permitted when it can be framed as the benevolence of the Kim regime. They will literally take sacks of rice labeled "A Gift of the People of the United States" and re package it before distribution in order to prevent ordinary people from thinking their sustenance came from anything other than the State. Any overt aid work in NK is materially helping legitimize and keep in power one of the worst regimes on the planet. Keeping a few people from eating grass doesn't make up for that.

I would bet there is a lot more small-scale stuff going on in DPRK than you'd think. Not bulk food deliveries for the reasons you mention, but stuff like contact with relatives in ROK would be important if we can get rid of juche without turning the place to glass. That said, the situation there is different than most places, but responsible groups take that into account in the calculus.

I don't have any specific information about this particular dude or his theoretical group, so I don't want to go all-in on his defense. But the case for aid in dangerous places generally is extremely strong and even in NK it exists and isn't a priori dumb and bad in all instances.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As a steam engineer, I support putting boilers all over the place whether or not that's a great plan.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To be fair to the Coast Guard, they were deployed to the Persian Gulf in both 1990 and 2003 doing boardings and port security. I don't think any of the units saw combat and they seemed to have gotten by without a carrier, but they were very much involved in dangerous stuff far from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Doing the Top Gun upside-down thing is fuckin rad.