Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Iron Rose posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I recall that during the Islamic revolution there were a number of f14s that Iran either owned or had paid for that we obviously did not return to them. I can’t quite find the search terms to verify this though.

80 delivered.

Edit: yeah I can't find poo poo about cancelled or embargoed aircraft.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

MRC48B posted:

Zero days, as they say. :dadjoke:

nice

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kafouille posted:

Shilkas were supposed to directly accompany the tanks, they really don't have the range to setup and stand off.

Yeah, the Shilka / Gepard / Sgt York :histdowns: were supposed to be accompanying armored units. They didn't have very long range for AD units, being gun based.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

Fair point.

It's a good thing aliens don't exist I guess :v:

Edit: never mind. Forget you read that.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

It would be a better PR move for Iran to admit that one of their junior officers hosed up, blame the Great Satan for raising tensions in the region, mention the USS Vincennes shootdown, and then make the point that unlike the imperialist capitalist running dogs Iran accepts full responsibility, and really, isn't Iran acting so much nicer than Cheeto Mussolini?

Would probably score them a lot of PR points.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mortabis posted:

It's always better PR to admit fault when everyone already knows you did it, but somehow people and organizations still don't do it. A mystery for the ages.

Possibly related to an internal power struggle /politics (just guessing) or just an entrenched "deny everything" mentality.

We live in a post truth world anyway.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

So, today while re-reading Dispatches and doing some wiki research on missing photojournalists, I learned that a Vietnam Veteran was killed in Afghanistan back in 2006, at the age of 52.

https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-sgt-1st-class-john-t-stone/1657655

An impressive life.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

How did the USS Stark track the attacking aircraft but miss the Exocet launches? First warning they had was when a lookout called it in.

The more I read about the US Navy surface warfare capabilities (aforementioned shooting a Turk ship with a sea sparrow, USS Stark, USS Vincennes, ramming incidents) has me convinced it's a goddamn dumpster fire and nothing works.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

At your job do they tell you/suggest something like, "Don't say where you work except to close family/friends, especially not to tinder dates or on social media." How strictly do you abide by this?

Me, pretty strictly. You'd be amazed at the amount of dumb poo poo people put on social media / say in elevators / etc. I once had to call up a detective and tell him I knew all about his wiretap, and so does Brooklyn Defender Services because a legal aid couldn't keep his trap shut in an elevator.

I can only imagine what these dumbasses say in bars.

Edit: I highly doubt a public defender from an unrelated case tipped anyone off, most of them take ethics very seriously but you can't be too careful.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 11, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Maybe there were just 4746 other Edmond Rostand fans who registered first.

Edit: i for one, have absolutely no idea why I picked this username. No clue. Means nothing of significance.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

I know exactly why I chose my username. I was mad at a supermarket.

Username checks out.

Only places I ever saw a IGA were in Montauk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

One got stuck in Montreal last year when the St. Lawrence iced up. Condo owners complained about the INTOLERABLE RACKET* it made running at idle.

*By which I mean noise > 0

Habitat 67 are the most cold war condos