Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I've been devouring his thread, because ever since I was a kid, all this stuff has fascinated me. I love all the crazy poo poo both sides did during the cold war, it never stops entertaining me. This may be sort of an ambiguous question, but I'd like to know more about nuclear weapons and carriers, specifically, what types they carried/carry, strategy, deployment methods, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Holy poo poo, that nuclear powered helicopter, while insane, looks awesome. Got anymore details on it?

Also, it's sad that the DynaSoar program didn't go further.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I cannot stress enough how, to me at least, the whole nuclear rocket thing is just so loving cool. I have such a nerd boner for it, and I really wish that we would take the existing information, combine it with modern day materials and science, and finally get our collective asses to Mars someday.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Considering that I live less than a mile from TACOM and what used to be a huge Abrams plant, and also only about 15-20 minutes from Selfridge Airforce Base (which used to have B-52s) I feel pretty confident in assuming that in the event of sudden commie nuclear attack, I probably wouldn't even know it, maybe just see a flash of light or something.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Didn't look at a map, but I'm pretty sure living less than a mile from TACOM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_TACOM_Life_Cycle_Management_Command combined with being like 20 minutes away from Selfridge ANG where there used to be B-52s, that if it all went down, I might be lucky enough to see a flash of light before just being vaporized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

brains posted:

crosspost from the space thread because if this isn't cold war i don't know what is

choice bits:

ahh, the 60s. when space-based pumped lasers and nuclear energy weapons were being seriously considered to kill commies :allears:

Man, forget all the F-35 chit chat bullshit, more talk about this. I like the plans for an Orion type space battleship, that would use nukes for propulsion, have Iowa battleship turrets on it, and be able to poo poo out Minuteman missiles and those Casaba howitzers. Hundreds of them no less. Hell yeah, let's make Footfall a reality, but even more badass. It amazes me that stuff like this was designed so long ago, imagine how it could be with modern materials science and computing power.