Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
These two videos are 100% relevant to the interests of this thread.

Nuclear Attack Preparedness Procedures – How to live long enough to kill the reds back. (1968) 23 minutes

New Line of Sight – An Air Force film on the current advancements and the perceived future of the United States ICBM delivery, detection, and manned flight programs. (1968) 18 minutes

iyaayas01 posted:

:ughh:

But in true Navy nuclear related fun facts, the Navy had nuclear depth charges:

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Wigwam - The DoE was so kind to provide footage and a review of the whole danged test. (1954)

In fact there are a shitton of nuclear weapons test reviews over at Archive.org allow me to make this easy for you guys, since each of the videos is between 15 and 90 minutes long.

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Trinity Shot – The fruition of the Manhattan Project. No narrative, just footage cut together. (1945). 17 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Crossroads – America discovers it’s hatred of the Bikini Atolls and nukes some boats left over from WWII. (1946). 37 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Sandstone – Basically, this operation was a test of a few bomb candidates that were left over from the Manhattan Project. (1948). 21 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Sandstone – Look, we didn’t just use jeeps to figure out how big the atomic blasts were. We used tanks and buildings too! (1945). 19 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Sandstone – A pretty good, though cursory look at the instrumentation used to observe the blasts. (1948). 17 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Sandstone (US Air Force) – The Air Force starts coming to terms with the fact that their new role in the world is to end it. (1948). 31 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Sandstone (US Army Corps of Engineers) – Man these guys sure are proud of their RC airplanes and tanks. (1948). 21 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Sandstone (US Navy) – We have boats, and boat planes! Yeaaah we can ship stuff! (1948). 41 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Greenhouse – America develops and tests it’s first thermonuclear devices. (1951). 23 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Ivy – America tests it’s first hydrogen bomb. It’s a big deal. (1952). 1 hour 4 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Buster-Jangle – YOU ARE A PART OF ATOMIC WARFARE. I didn’t get to watch the film yet, but the first few minutes give an interesting perspective into the mood of the period. The film should some airbursts, and a low yield ground burst. (1951). 1 hour 17 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Tumbler-Snapper – We loving nuked 7000 of our own soldiers. I’m sorry. They were engaged in “training operations” in the fallout. (1952). 48 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Upshot-Knothole - Yes, this is the one with the atomic cannon. Yes, we really were that stupid. (1953). 36 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Upshot-Knothole – No audio, just footage. (1953). 20 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Teapot – We made some holes, and then played with the idea of using nukes in an anti-aircraft capacity. (1954). 32 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Castle – We kinda irradiated the heck out of our own doods and a bunch of native Bikini Atoll residents. Whoops. (1954) 21 minutes

Nuclear Test Film, Operation Redwing – We tested some second and third gen thermonuclear devices. (1956). 27 minutes

There were a few "response to a nuclear weapons accident" videos too. Supposedly there are three of these, but I could only find two.

NUWAX 81, Nuclear Weapon Accident Exercise – How would AMERICA respond if crashed a nuke? I bet there would be 85% more panic. (1982). 27 minutes

NUWAX 83, Nuclear Weapon Accident Exercise – Honestly, I think it’s interesting to see these kinds of videos, as well as our shift from preparing for war, to preparing for accidents. (1984). 28 minutes

Edit: I had a slightly more in depth version of this post but Firefox crashed spectacularly after I sank 2 hours into it. This is what you kids have now thanks to my stupid.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

NosmoKing posted:

You sir, are more tits than tits.

I have the neato video capture tool for Firefox. I'm going to be a busy guy at archive.org.

Honestly the NUWAX videos kinda blow.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh look who's back.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just watched When the Wind Blows and I can't figure out the paper bags at the end. Did I miss something?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Memento1979 posted:

It's one of those "duck and cover" things for :airquote:surviving:airquote: a nuclear attack; kind of like hiding under the stairs, or painting your windows white. It's completely useless, just like everything else, and I think it was supposed to be highlighting the futility of the whole thing.

I ended up googling it and it looks like it was intended to be a field expedient wind breaker, but they kinda forgot the face hole. :v:

Painting your windows anti-flash white doesn't make any sense though.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Memento1979 posted:

It's to "reflect the flash". It makes no sense at all, and was possibly just mindless busy work to put the peons' minds at peace. Everyone with an ounce of education on the matter during the times of MAD knew that there was very little people could do to survive.

It just seems like having people focus on building fall out shelters would make more sense.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
might as well go sun bathing instead, I guess.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

I feel bad for pointing this out, but 2022 is only 6 years away.

Think of the F-35A as a stealthy F-16.

soooo not at all.

and the f-16 is a prettier plane.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Couldn't they shove some antennas or science garbage in there so it doesn't look completely ridiculous?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
PowerPC lives on!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

You scoff but it's widely used in fault tolerant applications. (Hence F-35 among others.)

I'm not scoffing! I have an unreasonable love affair with PowerPCs. That's why I still have two Powermac G5s sitting under my healing bench at home. (also because I'm a horrible hoarder)

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of GW1 air to air kills, a friendly reminder that that was the conflict that saw an A-10 air to air gun kill. Some poor loving Iraqi helicopter that got reduced to aluminum confetti.

I distinctly remember 9 year old me thinking that was the coolest poo poo ever.

33 year old me still ranks it pretty loving up there.

I would join the armed services tomorrow if I could be guaranteed to see an air to air engagement between an A-10 and an Mi-24 with the A-10 shredding the Mi-24 with its main gun.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Even if you were in the Hind?

Best suicide ever.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dark Helmut posted:

It would make for an awesome Snackbar Liveleak vid, that's for sure.

all your snackbar

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilMerlin posted:

I would break it down a little like this.

Gen 0: would be the German Linke-Hofmann R.I or British SS Airship.

Gen 0.5: would be the Ho.229 and POSSIBLY the Mosquito. But Neither was deliberate designed as "stealth". It just so happened that being made of wood helped things a lot, and the carbon layer in the glue of the Ho.229 helped even more.

Gen 0.75: SR-71 Blackbird had a lot of stealth features but were not total nor complete (read SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story on it. Its a good read)

Gen 1: HaveBlue/SeniorTrend and production F/A-117 and TacitBlue. These are the first honest attempts at radar stealth for full airframe from the ground up.

Gen 2: B-2 Spirit, YF-23/YF-22. Why is the B-2 here? Because it used tech that was surpassed by the production F-22.

Gen 2.5: F-22 (yes, the tech on the F-22 is slightly different than the YF-22). Between the prototype and production aircraft the radar paint and subpanels have been updated quite a bit.)

Gen 3: F-35 (the F-35 reportedly has a smaller RCS than even the F-22) and most assuredly has a better LO.

Gen 4: B-21 Raider
My idiot brain read B-21 Raider as made me think of the A1 Skyraider and I got all excited about stealth prop planes.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

RCN wants to spend $2billion upgrading Victoria class subs

I think having some subs is a good thing but maybe some research into newer build options would be a good idea?

I hear the Hunley is just sitting around. Perhaps that would suit ya'lls need for submarine sandwiches.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Has anything ever beat H. L. Hunley’s record of “sank with all hands, twice, with a five‐eighths kicker”?

e: An unrelated record, but this little ship sank six enemy submarines, a world record, and it sank all of them in span of twelve days.

So you're saying it took almost 100 years for a vessel to kill more submarine crews than the HL Hunley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

And yet it is still full steam ahead on the move because if there is one thing the CF is good at it is thinking something is a good deal and then pouring money into it regardless.

Wait a second. Is the CF the living embodiment of my gun collecting habits?