Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

iyaayas01 posted:

It's such a mind gently caress to see the F22, a state of the art 21st century jet pursuing a cold war holdover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

I think it's interesting that the only Eastern Bloc countries besides the Soviet Union that seemed gung ho for Soviet style communism and war with the west was Eastern Germany. The rest of the nations especially Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Hungary were either openly rebellious against the Soviets or were too caught up in their own problems to actively militarily support the Soviets.

Also when I was a kid I'd always ask my parents what this poster meant when I saw them in older areas.

Having grown up in the early 90's nuclear war was an alien idea to me.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

This is probably one of my favorite defection incidents during the Cold War:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1083518

The idea of a pilot abandoning everything he knew from his family to his own country, defecting in a Mig-25 and landing at a civilian airport is pure :black101:

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

Gentlemen, I bring you the M388 Davey Crockett nuclear recoilless rifle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiM-RzPHyGs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M388

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is anyone interested on a writeup of the flying-wing dead end in cold war aviation? The YB-49 and weird poo poo like that which partially fed into the eventual B2 program?

I would be!

When did the Soviets/Russians become so gung ho about mobile ICBM launch systems, and what was their rationale for it?

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

Why did the East Germans not rebuild their arms industry like the West Germans did?

Instead they seemed to go entirely with your standard Combloc arsenal. Did the Russians do that good of a job in stripping the country for war reparations or did the Russians just never encourage the Germans to rearm themselves?

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

You really have to look at their respective WW2 era experiences for this. In both cases the people who were commanding the armies through the cold war were officers in WW2. Hell, I think the last WW2 vet command rank officers didn't retire from the US military until the 80s or so, although most of those guys were junior officers when they first saw combat.

Basically, the German airforce was a constant pain in the rear end for the Red Army. Even as late as the Battle of Berlin the Germans still had the ability to wrest (very) local control of the skies away from the Red Air Force and bring in some fairly devastating tactical air support. Having something on the ground to at least make airplanes maneuver around and gently caress up their aim while they worried about return fire was a flat out necessity.

Meanwhile, the USAAF ran roughshod over the Luftwaffe after early 1944, to the point where air attacks against ground forces were a pretty loving huge exception to the general rule. THe only time when the Luftwaffe was ever really being regularly used in a tactical role against the US military was during some of the early stages of the Italian/Sicilian campaign.

Institutionally this lead to a generation of officers who had vastly different memories. For one the sound of an airplane meant you had to look up and make sure it was friendly if not just dive in a ditch on general principle, while for the other airplane motors almost universally meant that the proverbial cavalry had arrived and that bunker/tiger tank/whatever that was giving you trouble was about to get blown the gently caress up.

Really, tactical air superiority is something that the US has taken for granted ever since WW2 in a way that Russia never has.

That is extremely fascinating, and so true. I love how the Warsaw Pact had such a hard on for SPAD systems, as there's nothing more metal than showering the skies with lead.

This may be a more esoteric question, but how strictly regimented was life in the Soviet army in the Eastern Bloc? I'm sure they didn't go off base as much or had their needs catered as well as the US forces in Europe had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

Oh man, that Su-25 is one sexy beast!

And speaking of Peru, it's interesting they were the only South American nation that uses Russki stuff.