Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FiendishThingy posted:

Jesus. You know intellectually, that somewhere, in a real factory,real people actually had to turn turn the wrenches and wire the harnesses and reticulate the splines to build those but to actually see it! Keeping a project of that scale secret is as huge an achievement as the aircraft itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IanCaw posted:

So I finally went got to visit the A&S Museum's hangar at Dulles this past weekend. It was amazing, as expected, and it was great to see all the planes that I knew were there -- an SR71, the Space Shuttle Enterprise!, great, wonderful, all that. I expected that.

But my friend and I both stopped and did a holy-loving-poo poo look at the Enola Gay just hanging there, suspended, next to the walkway we were on. Maybe it was because I didn't know it would be there, but there was something.. daunting?.. about being right next to that particular plane. I know that this isn't 100% connected to this thread, but without the Enola Gay, the Cold War would have gone differently, to be sure.

Anyone else weirded out when seeing it, or other planes of specific historical significance?
I had that exact same experience: step out onto the walkway, catch a glance of shiny out the corner of my eye and feel my blood turn to ice on a closer look at the nose paint.

Even then, nothing in that museum was quite as emotional as standing under the 707 Dash 80 prototype. It was like you could feel it staring down at every airliner that's come since, softly calling "Who's your daddy? Who's your daddy?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Are we still playing $40,000,000 limbo? The Russian Beriev 200 Altair fireplane can refill the water tanks without stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__XflBfmVs4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Alpine Mustache posted:

What museum is that Hustler in?

That's 59-2458 at Wright-Pat, note the Bendix Trophy sitting in front of it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sunday Punch posted:

I'm not even sure what sort of advantage an orbital nuclear weapons platform would give you.

The US built all its radar poo poo in Canada and FOBS sends the warheads over Antarctica and Mexico.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Karl_moebius posted:

if the nukes do fly and there is a ship or submarine that survives the exchange, was there even a plan or reccomendation? or did plans really stop at like, step #30: congratulations, you've started global thermonuclear war; kiss your rear end goodbye?

There was a training film for this scenario made in 1959 featuring Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You guys keep comparing it to drones, but I can't look at that and see anything except a fixed-wing Cobra.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flikken posted:

Executive Orders is completely :psyduck:

I still want to know what the gently caress was up with those two hillbillies that spend half the book setting up their OKC style truck bomb plot, only to be pulled over and arrested and never interact with any other part of the story at all. I've never read any other book with such a completely self-contained plot thread that led nowhere.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

movax posted:

I was honestly shocked it went more than a few days without any posts, it had to be revived. I had some articles from Alert 5 I was going to link to spawn discussion but I never got around to it.

Now, everyone should read this. Pretty eye-opening about how the "simplest" things can go bad, very quickly.

Added sadnote, the guy that wrote that was killed in a Kfir crash at Fallon last week.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

co199 posted:

Mack Maloney's "Wingman" series is so goddamn ridiculous but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I don't love his depictions of WWIII's air war. Of course, having Hawk Hunter shoot down everything with wings with his F-16 and flying 10 missions a day is ridiculous, but hey, dad-fiction.

Haha what a perfect name for that whole genre. When I was a kid my dad had the complete works of Clancy, Marcinko and W.E.B. Griffith proudly displayed on his head-of-the-bed-bookshelf but even he kept the shame of WINGMAN sequestered in the garage.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Psion posted:

Udvar-Hazy owns. I think I posted my gallery from this summer earlier. Well worth the trip. I might have to sacrifice something to the blood gods and hit the USAF museum out at Wright-Patterson but that would also require voluntarily going to Ohio. :(

It's worth it. Make sure you get there early and jump through the hoops to get R&D wing access, I didn't know about it until it was too late and missed out.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/exhibits/r&d/index.asp

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Where is this bubble bath, Nellis?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So here's a neat relic of the cold war I didn't know about : Apollo 15 left a grim Moonmorial to everyone killed in the pursuit of spaceflight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Astronaut

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

grover posted:

The Genie had a 1.5kt warhead and a range of just 6 miles. Wiki has a :gonk: story of its safety being "proven" in the one and only test by air force officers standing hatless directly under the blast..

They didn't look too upset about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovb7F_r0XHo&t=362s

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wkarma posted:

Here's some cold warriors rusting away. Some BIG cold warriors. And a cat.

http://translate.google.com/transla...om%2F17486.html

Knowing that someone built a multi-billion dollar nuclear-powered steel bubble to lurk hundreds of feet under the ocean and await orders to destroy the world, for months on end, and then put a swimming pool inside it, is just the best thing ever.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

grover posted:

The Genie had a 1.5kt warhead and a range of just 6 miles. Wiki has a :gonk: story of its safety being "proven" in the one and only test by air force officers standing hatless directly under the blast..

Not to beat a dead horse since we discussed this weeks ago, but two of those guys are still alive and Fox News ran an interview with them Friday: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/27/how-does-it-feel-to-stand-under-nuclear-bomb/

Maj. Don Luttrell, Ret. USAF posted:

In hindsight … it appears that it was not safe.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 1, 2012

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

holy poo poo

Do you have any more details on this?

Here's a detailed government report on the aftermath: http://www.ornl.gov/info/reports/1961/3445600598663.pdf

quote:

The accumulated air dose for the entire operation between Feb. 1958 and Jul. 1960 ranged from 300 - 33,000 Sievert :stare:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A couple weeks ago I looked up during my smoke break and saw a C17 taking mid-air refueling about 100 mi north of Charleston AFB. Is there any reason they would ever need to do that so close to the base other than training for the hell of it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

There are specific refueling track airspaces across the country. I have no idea where my chart is that shows them or I'd take a look and see if there's one there. Even if there's not, ATC is generally pretty accommodating with a request to do one ad-hoc as long as you're not stupid about where you want to do it.

I looked this up and it turns out I do live directly under AR207. This is the second time in about 20 years I've seen one in progress, I'm going to have to keep staring up all the time now that I know it's a regular event here.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thief posted:

:stare: is that... real life?

Those guys are pansies. Here are MEN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlE1BdOAfVc

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Col. Kyle Robinson, CO, 48th FW posted:

We have bird strikes every time we fly an aircraft
:eyepop:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Can someone link any articles or talk about the US securing the Soviets nuclear arsenal?

I read a book about it called One Point Safe from the dollar general bargain bin so it's probably being given away on amazon.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

C27J Chat: one just buzzed the gently caress out of my house flying like it was stolen. Came straight at me while I was on my front porch, time I ran around to the back it was completely gone over the horizon without so much as engine noise.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One would think the Russians would see the whole point of such an operation would be lost if they kept it secret, but on the other Dead Hand...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

I already read a bunch of budget proposals where the amount is well double north their estimate and that the total number would be pared down to roughly 45-55% of current to close to 300 total reducing the total MAD levels. They plan to actually break down old bombs using the best of everything left over.

Can you imagine what an all new nuclear bomb would cost per unit if they started it today? Closer to platinum by weight?

At today's market price, as a fraction of GDP the manhattan project would cost a solid cube of gold roughly 19'-4" per side.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mazz posted:

All the Navy's aircraft on one page.

Why is VF45 "The pelicans" bombing a downsy cloud?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

code:
U.S. FIRST STRIKE
USSR FIRST STRIKE
NATO / WARSAW PACT
FAR EAST STRATEGY
US USSR ESCALATION
MIDDLE EAST WAR
USSR CHINA ATTACK
INDIA PAKISTAN WAR
MEDITERRANEAN WAR
HONGKONG VARIANT
SEATO DECAPITATING
CUBAN PROVOCATION
ATLANTIC HEAVY
CUBAN PARAMILITARY
NICARAGUAN PREEMPTIVE
PACIFIC TERRITORIAL
BURMESE THEATERWIDE
TURKISH DECOY
ANGENTINA(SIC) ESCALATION
ICELAND MAXIMUM
ARABIAN THEATERWIDE
U.S. SUBVERSION
AUSTRALIAN MANEUVER
SUDAN SURPRISE
NATO TERRITORIAL
ZAIRE ALLIANCE
ICELAND INCIDENT
ENGLISH ESCALATION
MIDDLE EAST HEAVY
MEXICAN TAKEOVER
CHAD ALERT
SAUDI MANEUVER
AFRICAN TERRITORIAL
ETHIOPIAN ESCALATION
TURKISH HEAVY
NATO INCURSION
U.S. DEFENSE
CAMBODIAN HEAVY
PACT MEDIUM
ARCTIC MINIMAL
MEXICAN DOMESTIC
TAIWAN THEATERWIDE
PACIFIC MANEUVER
PORTUGAL REVOLUTION
ALBANIAN DECOY
PALESTINIAN LOCAL
MOROCCAN MINIMAL
BAVARIAN DIVERSITY
CZECH OPTION
FRENCH ALLIANCE
ARABIAN CLANDESTINE
GABON REBELLION
NORTHERN MAXIMUM
DANISH PARAMILITARY
SEATO TAKEOVER
HAWAIIAN ESCALATION
IRANIAN MANEUVER
NATO CONTAINMENT
SWISS INCIDENT
CUBAN MINIMAL
CHAD ALERT
ICELAND ESCALATION
VIETNAMESE RETALIATIO
SYRIAN PROVOCATION
LIBYAN LOCAL
GABON TAKEOVER
ROMANIAN WAR
MIDDLE EAST OFFENSIVE
DENMARK MASSIVE
CHILE CONFRONTATION
S.AFRICAN SUBVERSION
USSR ALERT
NICARAGUAN THRUST
GREENLAND DOMESTIC
ICELAND HEAVY
KENYA OPTION
PACIFIC DEFENSE
UGANDA MAXIMUM
THAI SUBVERSION
ROMANIAN STRIKE
PAKISTAN SOVEREIGNTY
AFGHAN MISDIRECTION
ETHIOPIAN LOCAL
ITALIAN TAKEOVER
VIETNAMESE INCIDENT
ENGLISH PREEMPTIVE
DENMARK ALTERNATE
THAI CONFRONTATION
TAIWAN SURPRISE
BRAZILIAN STRIKE
VENEZUELA SUDDEN
MAYLASIAN ALERT
ISREAL DISCRETIONARY
LIBYAN ACTION
PALISTINIAN TACTICAL
NATO ALTERNATE
CYPRESS MANEUVER
EGYPT MISDIRECTION
BANGLADESH THRUST
KENYA DEFENSE
BANGLADESH CONTAINMENT
VIETNAMESE STRIKE
ALBANIAN CONTAINMENT
GABON SURPRISE
IRAQ SOVEREIGNTY
VIETNAMESE SUDDEN
LEBANON INTERDICTION
TAIWAN DOMESTIC
ALGERIAN SOVEREIGNTY
ARABIAN STRIKE
ATLANTIC SUDDEN
MONGOLIAN THRUST
POLISH DECOY
ALASKAN DISCRETIONARY
CANADIAN THRUST
ARABIAN LIGHT
S.AFRICAN DOMESTIC
TUNISIAN INCIDENT
MALAYSIAN MANEUVER
JAMAICA DECOY
MALAYSIAN MINIMAL
RUSSIAN SOVEREIGNTY
CHAD OPTION
BANGLADESH WAR
BURMESE CONTAINMENT
ASIAN THEATERWIDE
BULGARIAN CLANDESTINE
GREENLAND INCURSION
EGYPT SURGICAL
CZECH HEAVY
TAIWAN CONFRONTATION
GREENLAND MAXIMUM
UGANDA OFFENSIVE
CASPIAN DEFENSE 

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

USAF: even the ejection seats are sexist.

Article calls out the only female pilot in the program is unaffected, can't wait for a breathless huffpo article about the USAF fat-shaming epidemic.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're really better off picking an accident that didn't have international political or conspiracy dimensions. There are so many "crash caused by bad fuel panel design" options out there.

Look for NTSB accident reports. They're pretty thorough.

Pinnacle 3701, Elmendorf C-17, Fairchild B-52, Dover C-5 are all fantastic case studies

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 17, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

National Archives has released SAC's 1959 target list.

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb538-Cold-War-Nuclear-Target-List-Declassified-First-Ever/

E: Jesus loving christ, "worldwide contamination is minimised when the surface detonation is used" and "blast effects are reduced when the weapon is burst in the air", their understanding was 100% backwards

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 23, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

This is amazing, looking at the target list. Anything even vaguely related to industry is getting a nuke.

If they have a bag of cement OR a ball peen hammer on site, or are suspected to have at any point? SAC's paying a visit.

Yeah I live across the street from a needle bearing factory and expect to take a couple dozen KT to the face if the balloon ever goes up. Fun fact, its parent company was the primary target of the Schweinfurt raids.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can tell you from experience that multimillion dollar industrial machinery is still being built new and networked and powered by WinXP.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

Hm, this makes me think I got AIX mixed up with something else in my earlier comment.

AS/400 ?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Doesn't Air France have a notorious reputation for industrial espionage shenanigans?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12089995/American-embassy-reopens-in-Cuba-What-has-changed.html

quote:

A US Hellfire missile was mistakenly shipped to Cuba sparking fears that sensitive military technology could end up in China, Russia or North Korea.
The laser-guided air-to-ground missile was being moved back from a military exercise in Europe but ended up on the communist island either by mistake, due to criminal activity, or as a result of espionage, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Despite a thawing of of its relations with Cuba over the last year the US has been struggling to retrieve the missile.
US officials do not believe Cuba would dismantle the Hellfire, which was inert and did not contain any explosives.
But they are concerned it could be passed to more technically advanced foreign powers who would.
Those countries could study the missile, including its sensors and targeting technology, to improve their own systems or develop counter-measures.
In early 2014 the missile was shipped by defence company Lockheed Martin from an airport in Orlando, Florida to Spain for use in a Nato exercise.
On its return journey officials loading a flight at Madrid airport noticed it was missing.
The missile was instead found to have been sent on a circuitous route, involving several shipping companies, through Germany to France.
By the time it was tracked down it was already on an Air France flight from Paris to Havana.
When the plane landed a Cuban official noticed the label on the container and impounded the missile.
The United States and Cuba formally restored diplomatic relations last July and re-opened embassies in each other's capitals.
But while negotiations were going on officials were also quietly trying to resolve the issue of the missing missile.
Cuba remains on the list of countries to which US military exports are banned.
Hellfire missiles weigh about 100 pounds and can be deployed from an attack helicopter like the Apache, or unmanned drones like the Predator in targeted strikes ion terrorists.
One was used to kill Mohammed Emwazi, otherwise known as Jihadi John, in Syria in November.
The US Justice Department is investigating the loss of the missile to establish who was responsible.
A US official told the Wall Street Journal: "Did someone take a bribe to send it somewhere else? Was it an intelligence operation, or just a series of mistakes? That’s what we’ve been trying to figure out."
The official said the US does not want any defence technology to remain in Cuba and efforts would continue to get to back.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is China building a decent aircraft really less likely than Brazil doing it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Concordat posted:

Dumb post I found on the internet from years ago

Sounds terrifying.

Weaponized opiate? As always, the FSB is three steps ahead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_hostage_crisis_chemical_agent

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I still can't get over how the US and Soviet's first jet bomber designs both knocked it so far out of the park that they're both outliving decades of would-be replacements.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Still making my way through various films, (and drunk guitar squonking), but can any of y'all give a decent summary of French nukes? I thought, as an American, that we gave 'em away. But the facts and the truth tells me not.

All I know is that in one of the all time great ice burns of history, when DeGaulle told SecState they were leaving NATO and all American personell must be removed from French soil ASAP, Dean Rusk told him "We don't have that many shovels."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Does a steady diet of Steel Reserve, OE if necessary, count ?

NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's got a lot of red on it too. Might be one of Jefferson's kids.

:damm: