Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

NosmoKing posted:

The last sequence in Atomic Cafe is terrifying. It goes a loooonnnnggg way to show that the simple ideas that are proposed in the film as "countermeasures" are pointless.

I read several books that discussed the civil defense program and talked about the Eisenhower "shitload-o-shelters" plan and city evacuation plans. They were quietly abandoned when it was shown that sheltering in place in a city was simply a good way to end up with orderly corpses for the ones that weren't reduced to constituent atoms. Evacuating a city in the time it takes for a nuclear attack is a pointless exercise. That idea was quietly dropped as well.

I met a woman in Rome and during our conversation this came up. She was pretty incredulous as the idea that the US just had random bomb shelters in all the cities. She thought I was making it up to and couldn't wrap her head around the idea that this was actually thought to be a good idea at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

My third video is also related to a nuclear war drama, but this time in the U.S. I'm sure most of you are familiar with The Day After, and you probably remember some scenes featuring U.S. military personnel attempting to respond to the initial attack before the warheads strike. You may even remember that these were actual U.S. military personnel. What you probably don't know is that the scenes were clipped from a longer "drama" portion of a documentary called "First Strike." Now, ignoring the fact that "First Strike" was produced by the Team B/CPD folks and drastically inflated the actual threat posed by Soviet nuclear forces, if you are in any way interested in the Cold War military, you MUST watch this film. I'm not sure what my favorite '70s kitsch bit is because there are so many, and I don't want to ruin it for you, so I won't comment any further. But seriously, watch it...it was filmed with the full cooperation of the DoD, so all the people in it are U.S. military members, U.S. military equipment, the whole shebang.

Here's the clip that contains the nuclear war :drama" portion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w
]

Heh, I love the quotes about how the B-52 can't be expected to be used after the mid 90's. Also great is the argument that the Soviet submarine missile system is good enough to wipe out the bombers and ICBM's, but the US subs, being able to only destroy all the Soviet cities, aren't a credible deterrent to the Soviets.

Basically this movie is a sales pitch by the Military Industrial Complex.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

The comment about the BUFFs was particularly retarded because all it is expected to do (as far as nuclear war/the SIOP is concerned) is be a cruise missile carrier...it can carry an advanced cruise missile just as easily as it can carry a legacy one. In fact, if the Cold War had continued another 10-15 years, chances are that we would've phased out most of the ALCMs and went ahead and solved the problems with the ACM, instead of doing the opposite in the name of cost savings (oh, and we'd have a shitton of F-22s...:fap:). And yeah, the whole SLBM thing was more than a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

The degree to which Team B engaged in threat inflation is staggering.

The best was the guy at the end of part 4 who advocated a return to conscription to build up the military's strength. And drat the 70's had some of the worst suits and hair styles imaginable.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, listening to Sen. Mccain's argument, would the START treaty limit the US's ability to pursue building a missile defense system?

And is missile defense anything more than a pipe dream? I mean, he talked about Reagan and SDI in his speech. He seems to think that the Russians will pull out of the treaty if the US works towards strategic missile defense.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I mean, we need this to complete the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwdcmjBgNA

Why Viet-NAM? (because we don't want to be an appeaser like Chamberlain)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEljbPwFQ9M

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Tornado isn't a cool aircraft at all. The RAF senior officers have such a hard-on for it that they've sabotaged Britain's entire force projection capacity by ditching the Harrier early, just so they can keep that useless swing-wing shitbird in service a while longer.

Meanwhile the Royal Navy is getting new carriers for the first time in forever and they'll have nothing to fly from them until the JSF gets unfucked some time in 2070.

Of course in theory they could pay for both, but Europeans in general don't seem to understand that you actually have to pay for things like armed forces.

It's a bitch paying for a robust social safety net.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wouldn't mounting external stores on it like that effectively gently caress its low-profile radar signature straight to hell, though? I mean, what's the point in having a next-gen stealth fighter if you're just going to load a bunch of last-gen weapons on hardpoints on the outside and gently caress up its radar profile?

Wouldn't it be way more effective to just keep using dedicated ground attack aircraft based around current airframes like the F-15 with large external stores?

Have you checked out the F-35 thread in GiP?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't go around GiP much. Worth a read I take it?

Lot's of iyaayas postings and back and forth about US strategic doctrine, vis a vi the Marines and their need for organic CAS.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I fully support development of the Cobra Rattler.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I'm fairly certain this guy probably did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDDDKnNhuE

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

A lot of it has to do with history...most (maybe all?) of the A-10s flying around with the no-poo poo shark's teeth (as opposed to the warthog nose art) belong to the 23d Wing, which traces it's lineage back through the 23d Fighter Group to the Flying Tigers.

As a side note, the Army's 229 Aviation Regiment was granted permission to use the "Flying Tigers" livery by the 1st AVG veterans in 1988. How they can really claim lineage, I don't know, but there it is.

http://www.usar.army.mil/arweb/organization/commandstructure/USARC/OPS/11Avn/Commands/8229Avn/History/Pages/default.aspx

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 5, 2011

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

:psyduck: Why would we do that?

We're still working on a version that can fly in the rain

Anyone have insight into the rain problem, keeping OPSEC in mind?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Vipers aren't really that bad as far as fighter aircraft go, even...Strike Eagles are pretty loving loud, and for some reason Super Hornets are the absolute worst.

Our quarters were next to the flight line at Al Assad. Sometimes it seemed like the Marines were trying to burn up the month's fuel budget at night with the constant F-18 traffic at 3 AM.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

This is always a good read, too.

Theoretical nuclear exchange between the US and USSR.

I like that they think a nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR automatically means that the rest of the world will fall into civil war just because.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Pretty much any place that could be used by either side for tactical or strategic movement and supply would be targeted. The Suez and Panama canals? Gone. Do you have a major port, dam, or highway and rail systems? It's getting nuked. Airfield of, say, 10,000 feet? Bye bye.

At the height of the Cold War, most of the world had either willingly or unwillingly been included in one side or the other.

Sounds like a good argument for reducing the amount of nukes in the world.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I'd say we are more ingenious than that. There are lot of resources in Africa and South America, and we'd start digging out the landfills for materiel.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

No offense, but for the sake of whoever is grading your class, don't do this.

Don't get me wrong - Dr. Strangelove is a great, hilarious movie and you should watch it just because of that.

Even so, every semester there are a bunch of students who want to use it as the linchpin of their paper on the Cold War and I want to :suicide: . It's kind of the Cold War version of trying to base your Holocaust paper off of Schindler's List.

When you had guys like Lemay and Thomas S."Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win" Power
running around, Dr. Strangelove doesn't look that far off.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Israel is a very rich modern nation. Why the US gives them a dime of aid is beyond me since all it seems to do is piss off the rest of the middle east.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, they've parked this at the local National Guard Camp. Thoughts?

Other than the hilariously racist/vintage nose art?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The UH-60 Black Hawk also utilizes a stabilator.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Another shot of the B-52 doing a flyby of the USS Ranger. The guys on the island reportedly called them after they requested permission for a flyby, B-52 crew said "look down":

From my understanding, that's also the same B-52 pilot who later killed himself and his crew trying to loop the aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJb08ZzejAA

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
From AR 95-1 Army Aviation Flight Regulations

8–7. Oxygen system
See FM 3–04.301 for restrictions on use of oxygen. Approved oxygen systems will be used as follows:
a. Unpressurized aircraft. Oxygen will be used by aircraft crews and occupants for flights, as shown below:
(1) Aircraft crews.
(a) On flights above 10,000 feet pressure altitude for more than 1 hour.
(b) On flights above 12,000 feet pressure altitude for more than 30 minutes.
(2) Aircraft crews and all other occupants.
(a) On flights above 14,000 feet pressure altitude for any period of time.
(b) For flights above 18,000 feet pressure altitude, oxygen prebreathing will be accomplished by aircrewmembers.
Prebreathing may utilize either 100 percent gaseous aviator’s oxygen from a high pressure source, or an onboard
oxygen generating system (OBOGS) that supplies at least 90 percent oxygen. Prebreathing will be for not less than 30
minutes at ground level and will continue while en route to altitude. In those extraordinary cases where mission
requirements dictate rapid ascent, commanders may authorize shorter prebreathing times on a case-by-case basis, with
the realization that such practice increases the risk for developing altitude decompression illness. Return to NORMAL
OXYGEN (pressure demand regulator, gaseous oxygen-equipped aircraft) is authorized on descent below 18,000 feet
pressure altitude, provided continued flight will not exceed this altitude.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

NK has roughly 72 billion artillery pieces that give them a purely conventional ability to flatten Seoul. They'd probably want to use a nuclear weapon to threaten or destroy something they don't already have the capability to wipe off the map in an afternoon.

Seoul is almost completely out of artillery range, except for the northern outskirts.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

And he seems to be a big fan of the Hornet. He's got a whole section in that article, "ARGUMENTS FOR THE F/A-18F," where he's basically saying (I think) that the USMC should operate Hornets off of Navy carriers:

I thought the already did that. USMC maintenance personnel deploy on CVN's anyway.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Except that it was ridiculously expensive, carried a small payload, and was way too fragile for use in a combat theater. The Army used the money to upgrade the existing fleet of UH-60's, buy the LUH, and was going to buy the ARH, except that program has been a huge headache.

Still looks cool though.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Love the ballin' 70's music.

And it's modern version, the Battlehawk.

:black101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGuds5-fSTc

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 21, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The F-22 has cost how many billions and nobody thought to put a latch on the outside of the canopy?

http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,97576,00.html

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

And how exactly would you propose to do that without loving with the LO signature? And don't say "install a hatch or something with the handle underneath it" because even that little bit would cause a negative impact. There are many things to rant about with the F-22, some of them justified, some of them not, but the ":lol: can't open the canopy" was a one off issue 6 years ago and ranks pretty far down that list.

Did they at least put a release handle inside the cockpit?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

No, armyman, there are no handles. The pilot is sealed into the aircraft and they bond, become one single entity devoted to win wargames but never actually see combat.

So, like FireFox?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Advocating tracked IFVs instead of the wheeled Stryker doesn't sound all that insane to me? What don't you like about it?

Because the M113 is an antiquated POS? And the fact that it's not an IFV it's an APC. And if you blow the track on an M113 it's deadlined, while a Stryker can keep going, even with a couple of wheels blown off.

There's also the fact that Mike Sparks thinks that the entire US military should be airborne. That our entire force structure should be paratroopers and M113's dropped from the sky.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 28, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

grover posted:

The avenger is awesome and all, but the A-10 is an aging aircraft with a very limited mission role, and has huge vulnerabilities to modern missile systems on the heavily contested battlefields where we would need it the most. "Low and slow" was important when your only sensor was the MkI eyeball, but it's simply a huge vulnerability now.

Isn't this what the Air Force said, circa 1989?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, and since then we've had the Gulf War, which proved the USAF right and resulted in the A-10 being kept up at high altitudes outside of MANPAD range in Yugoslavia a few years later.

I thought the A-10 proved very effective versus armor and ground targets.

And one even shot down a Hind.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

It also got shot down a lot. 9 took MANPAD hits. 6 of those didn't come home. It fared pretty well against AAA fire (11 took AAA hits, all made it back), but like Grover said: "huge vulnerabilities to modern missile systems on the heavily contested battlefields where we would need it the most."

You do know we've made a lot of improvements in anti-MANPAD technology since 1990, right?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Contrary to the past decade, the Air Force does have other missions than being the Army's flying artillery and delivery service.

The Army would be more than happy to take over those missions, if the Air Force would let it. But look what happened with the C-27.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Alaan posted:

Since we are kind of talking losses of airframes: Are there any replacements slated for a new helicopter? It seems like some months we lose as many troops from Blackhawks falling out of the sky for god knows what reason as we do to enemy action.

You have some documentation on that?

http://www.armyaircrews.com/blackhawk.html

Maintenance and mechanical failure from age is pretty far down the list as to the cause of helicopter crashes.

The Army is still receiving new UH-60M's and will eventually phase out the A/L's. (in 20 years). (maybe)

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 31, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The Apache did draw out one of Nic Cage's best performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyuHA_zAOM

Y'know, Firebirds really is what it looks like. What would happen if the Army tried to make Top Gun.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Heh. I worked with the guy who played the Bad Guy in that film. Bert Rhine, they brought him in as a technical consultant and to fly the helicopters in the aerial sequences, and then said to him "We...really don't have a bad guy in the film, do you want to be it? We'll give you an acting credit and a line or two." I think the line they gave him to say was "AAAGGGGGH!"

Nicest loving guy in the world. Plays a nice Martin. He wore a T-shirt one day that said "I'd rather be waterboarding" and he's one of the few people in the world who can pull that off without being offensive. Hell of a pilot, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyuULnLsc4w

That's pretty awesome!

Also, I love how Cage unstraps his helmet there. Hello, you still have to fly home!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Styles Bitchley posted:

Thanks for the info. What supports the Osprey at the LZ?

The F-35B of course!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup. The Marines have actually in at least one instance broken down the MEU ACE into two separate groups, one comprised solely of rotary winged Hueys and Cobras and the other comprised solely of fast jets and Ospreys, enabling autonomous operations between the two since the fast jets complimented the Osprey so well compared to helos. The Osprey also is supposed to have a rudimentary self defense capability with a belly mounted remotely operated turret in addition to the ramp gun, but the turret has faced some developmental issues.

That and by doctrine the Osprey is not supposed to land in a contested LZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LP97S posted:

And the US is still imposing a massive embargo for nearly 50 years now.

They're gonna break any day now!