Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Have another book recommendation thread viewers: The Wizards of Armageddon. I was given this by my dad, one of the books he had to read during his schooling as he completed his masters at the Naval Post-Grad school in CA.

Great thread, if I wasn't travelling I would contribute more, maybe I shall if there are any topics left uncovered when I get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I will now post a link to a history project/paper I did last Spring, it was for a basic American history class and I put it together the night before/morning it was due. Please go easy on me (I think there's at least a few interesting things in it for you all).

https://sites.google.com/site/finalhistoryproject/

Skunk Works - Impact During the Cold War Years

Thesis: During the Cold War, Lockheed Martin's Advanced Development Projects (better known as Skunk Works) pioneered, developed and produced several key technologies that kept the United States on the forefront of military aviation. The impact these technologies had shaped the United States foreign policy and were pivotal in bankrupting the Soviet Union.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Okay so can somebody give me a breakdown of the differences between the A-12 and the SR-71? Because I keep reading about how they were pretty different but have yet to find a categorical list of said differences.
The following is from: Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works - The Official History by Jay Miller.

A-12 Specifications/Performance
Construction: titanium (Beta-120/Ti-13V-11Cr-3A1) monococque w/some super-high temperature plastics
Length: 102 ft 3 in
Wingspan: 55 ft 7 in
Wing Area: 1795 sq. ft
Height: 18 ft 6 in
Landing Weight: 52,000 lbs
Max Gross Takeoff Weight: 117,000 lbs
Max Speed Mach 3.2 above 75,000 ft
Operational Ceiling: Unknown
Max Unrefueled Range: Unknown
Fixed Armament: None
Powerplant Data: 2x 17,000lb thrust Pratt & Whitney J75 (approx. first 5 aircraft only during flight test) or - in production configuration - 2 x 20,500lb thrust (dry)/31,500lb thrust (afterburner) Pratt & Whitney JT11D-20A (J58) high-bypass ratio turbojets (some later engines generated 34,000lbs thrust).

SR-71A/SR-71B/SR-71C Specifications/Performance
Construction: titanium (Beta-120/Ti-13V-11Cr-3A1) monococque w/some super-high temperature plastics
Length: 107 ft 5 in
Wingspan: 55 ft 7 in
Wing Area: 1795 sq. ft
Height: 18 ft 6 in
Landing Weight: 68,000 lbs
Max Gross Takeoff Weight: 140,000 lbs
Max Speed Mach 3.2 above 75,000 ft
Operational Ceiling: 85,000 ft
Max Unrefueled Range: 3,200 miles
Fixed Armament: None
Powerplant Data: 2x 34,000lb thrust Pratt & Whitney JT11D-20A (J58) high bypass-ratio turbojets

The SR-71 came about because the Air Force wanted their own recon plane tweaked to their own specs, the A-12 being a CIA commissioned project, the SR-71's existence caused the death of the A-12. Government budget agencies determining that funding for two very similar but separate programs wasn't justified.

The SR-71 differs from the A-12 with the chine/nose being modified to reduce drag in cruising conditions, the A-12's Q-bay (for sensors/cameras) was replaced with a pressurized cockpit for a second crew member this resulted in the sensors/cameras having to be moved to different locations in the fuselage and wings, this also tied in with a stretching of the fuselage that allowed for another fuel tank. Of course lots of different subsystems are different as well but those are the main changes.

Just glancing at the wiki page it looks to contain a lot of information actually. When I have more time I'll look through some of my other books for any additional interesting details on differences.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gah I missed out on the meat of the Falkland chat! Allow me to recommend a read if anyone wants to know more about the long range Vulcan bombing of Port Stanley.

Vulcan 607 by Jeremy Clarkson.

From wikipedia, "The raids, at almost 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km) and 16 hours for the return journey, were the longest-ranged bombing raids in history at that time (surpassed in the Gulf War of 1991 by USAF Boeing B-52G Stratofortresses flying from the continental United States but using forward-positioned tankers[15])."

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jeremy Clarkson didn't write that, it was Rowland White.
You're right, I don't know what the gently caress my fingers were typing. I had the book right in front of my face :doh:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Here let me correctly post (this time) another book related to a photo. Mirage by James Follett. It's fiction "based on extraordinary historical fact". From what I remember when I read it ~8 years ago it's a decent read.

iyaayas did Israel willingly sell that technology to China? I can't imagine the US being too happy about that so I'm assuming maybe they aided in China stealing it from them for $$$?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the rundown.

priznat posted:

Most, if not all of the recent awesome Intel CPUs were developed in Israel. Nuff said!
I bet AMD works out of North Korea given how poo poo their latest offering has been.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

:words: about decision delegation and the Prussians.
Have you read "A Genius For War" by Trevor N. Dupuy?

Your last post in the Cold War thread and the books topic are identical (minus the Ambrose bashing). My plebeian mind considered it a great read and I thought you might be interested.

fake edit: I was gonna PM you but your box is full.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah it's essentially we want an airplane on our mini-carrier. There really isn't any cost/benefit way to end up with a positive outcome unless you're using MCM (Marine Corp Math).

Ok so I just made that up but it's true!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

MetaFilter link-pile regarding the P-3 Orion and its upcoming retirement:

http://www.metafilter.com/110509/The-Night-of-The-Hunter
Passed it onto my dad, he was a navigator on P-3s for a while. I need to document his tales sometime.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gtab posted:

hahahahaha this is amazing

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn this is great.

mlmp08 posted:

That final punchline owned.

Well worth the listen indeed.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

I love how the original arcade Missile Command had poo poo like MIRVs, bombers and satellite launched missiles.

It always ended in a nuclear holocaust. :(
Reminds me of this.

Legomancer posted:

It's video games. Specifically, video games you can win or finish. That's ruined everything. When we were kids, there was one thing we all knew: The Space Invaders were coming. Yes, you could shoot at them, you could destroy them, and you might slow them down a little, but then they would resume their inexorable march. You couldn't stop them. You couldn't win against them.

Missile Command, as well. It only had one ending: the flashing words THE END accompanying the inevitable nuclear holocaust. Yes, you could somewhat postpone this, but it was going to happen. The question was not whether you'd fail, but how much time would pass until you fail.

This taught us the reality of life. There is no winning. You'll never be on top of the mountain holding the sword and the princess with your foot planted on the corpse of the villain. There is no final boss who is difficult to defeat but still possible to defeat. There is only an endless marching horde of space invaders, bearing down on you until you submit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I heard you guys were talking about sexy aircraft? (bonus: with canards)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Psion posted:

While we're talking Cold War, I suppose I could mention the source of a lot of the plutonium in all the various things that went bang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_Reactor

Hanford B Reactor, Exterior by notpsion, on Flickr

Hanford B Reactor is open to the public for guided tours from DOE and it is their hope to have it attain full museum status - that is, drive out in the middle of loving nowhere, WA (this was a design requirement from the Manhattan Project - gently caress nowheresville, USA, oh ps need a lot of water nearby) and go see it whenever. Right now, trying to get on any part of Hanford sans official approval would be ... unwise.

I've been twice and I apologize in advance for the photography - it's a bitch and a half to shoot in there. Both times I've been all :mad: at the tours not giving me enough time to set up and shoot for poo poo and there is so much in that building worth shooting photos of. I'm not going again until it's museum status so I can bring a tripod and take my time setting up something for the front reactor face; 2004 process tubes (1500 or so filled with the u-238 rods they bombarded into Pu-239) is staggering, especially the cooling system required to keep that stable - like 30,000+ gallons of water a minute shot through, front to back, in less than a second, and going from like 60F to about 200F that fast. And then dumped into a holding tank (ok so far) and then right back into the Columbia river.

:negative:

Front Face 01 by notpsion, on Flickr

So yeah, here's where Trinity and Fat Man's Pu-239 was created. Also, friggin' amazing engineering: They basically designed and built this sorta-kinda on the fly after the tiny test under the Chicago squash courts, in 14 months, and it worked for decades. The first time I went our tour guide was a guy who'd actually worked shifts at several of Hanford's reactors, including B. There's a lot of amateur-hour video that could use some editing up to really make the experience hammer home but when the guy talking to you in the control room where criticality was first achieved was saying "yeah, so I sat in this chair for like five years" it's :stare:

And of course, the most critical part of Hanford:

Pie Making Machine by notpsion, on Flickr

I was deeply disappointed this was not saved and placed in the B Reactor facility. They do have a remote-control robot, though.

Also - apparently there's an annual inspection from a bunch of Russians who take photos of the water intake pipes (which are all staked open, have been since 1968) to ensure nobody's secretly started up B Reactor - or secretly built the shitpot of support buildings which it would need to function, but ssh. Our tour guide indicated the US does this to several Russian decommissioned plants, too. Personally, I would love to see a bunch of stone-faced obviously KGB guys with Nikons or whatever snapping away at B Reactor. LOVE IT. Alas, those 'tours' don't get advertised.
This post owns. I live in Tennessee and I've never been to Oak Ridge. I should turn in my TFR credentials :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Isn't that what the US does all the time?
The United States is like a bro at the gym. All flexin' all the time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

But if we keep the A-10 and don't buy even more F-35s we can't keep making GBS threads money down the throats of Lockheed so it's a logical decision.

:smug:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

At least one of them is going on to better things:

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/2040-thunderbolt-10-warplane-storm-chaser.html

It will replace the National Science Foundation's 35 year old T-28, which has over 900 storm penetrations under its belt. The retrofit will include adding heavy duty de-icers, engine intake shielding, reinforced leading edges, lighting rods all over, and a conducting copper mesh around the canopy.

For that one A-10 it will be like it died and went to Valhalla :science::black101:
Please tell me they're going to also have it do cloud seeding with the GAU.

edit: Look clouds!

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 31, 2012

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Alaan posted:

The embargo has to be one of the dumber ongoing political thing the US has going. It's hard to be like CUBA IS EVIL while we are trading billions of dollars with China who are pretty much across the board worse governmentally than Cuba. You'd think by now some second term president would be like "Cuba embargo? gently caress that noise! Peace out!" then flick everyone off and ride off on his horse.
$oli$ica$

Hmm how do I spell political with dollar signs? Swap the population numbers between China and Cuba and guess who we trade with and who we embargo?

Valid point on the second term thing though, can the president do that or would congress have to lift the embargo?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mikerock posted:

Hey Boomerjinks why don't you tell us about how you stole an idea from AI and profited from it?
I think I happened across it in some thread and it was retro-style car movie posters and then boomerjinks has some website that he sold the posters on without proper attribution or something.

That could be totally wrong because I'm only trolling A.I. as I do a new car search so have an AIRPOWER image (click for big):

Source

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

:words: about currency history
Any reading recommendations on this topic? We've touched on currencies and how they can and do change in relative values on the international market in some of my classes but it'd be cool to read some real world historical examples.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

But you can't use the Hastings source for a high number just because you want to and then use a different source for a Chinese low number so you can say "Hey look these numbers are approximately equal!"

How is your basic understanding of statistics this bad? :psyduck:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Toy plane chat? Check this bad boy out (I think I had it around 1990 when I was 5).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well the SR-71 was a secret left to the old Skunk Works to create. The JSF is a reelection machine that happens to fly.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Warbadger posted:

The SR-71 had a very specific purpose for which it was designed. The JSF is following in the footsteps of the F-111 and is trying to do everything on a single platform.
I should've quoted Snowden, my post was really referring to the production boondoggle that has characterized the JSF project which, by virtue of being secret and small, was not a problem the SR-71 project shared.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

:words:
Counter-point:

But really though, I'll be reading that pdf, thanks for the link.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grover posted:

Can you lovebirds just go find a quiet place to make out? You seem to be confusing the TFR Cold War thread with your personal chatroom.
Bolded the part the explains the behavior.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Perhaps GiP would be a better place for this post but since this thread has somewhat become Cold War/Modern Military thread I'll ask here.

Among other retarded poo poo spouted by someone I have to deal with in person they told me, "Obama has cut the military in half." I tried to be nice and said that I was pretty sure there have been reductions but certainly not "in half". Of course they came back with it being "definitely in half". Any good sources for proving them wrong?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ok find one from the last Bush year. I just googled but I'm a huge retard so...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the links Armyman.

iyaayas01 posted:

More to the point, which is that the defense budget should be as big as it needs to be to meet the requirements outlined in the National Military Strategy (which in theory should be derived from the National Security Strategy), which should ideally be based on a realistic appraisal of the threats and challenges facing the U.S., the defense budget today, adjusted for inflation, is larger than the defense budget at the end of the Cold War. The defense budget under sequestration (which takes us all the way back to...FY 2007 levels! Quelle horreur!) is still larger than the defense budget at the end of the Cold War. At the end of the Cold War the U.S. needed to be able to deter major theater war in Western Europe and keep the North Atlantic open in the face of determined air and submarine opposition, all while maintaining forces on the Korean Peninsula sufficient to defend South Korea and be able to maintain LOCs from the U.S. to the Western Pacific, while simultaneously keeping enough forces in reserve to respond to any trouble the Soviets or anyone else tried to start in the Middle East. Oh, and we had to maintain a nuclear stockpile that was several orders of magnitude larger than the one we have today. Since that level of threat is absolutely ludicrous compared to today's worldwide environment, it's kind of hard to see how a rational, threats and capabilities/ends and means based analysis could support a budget larger than the one we had at that time. So what I'm saying is that the issue is not money (we could cut the defense budget by 40% and still be fine), the issue is how we choose to allocate it and how we choose to spend it.

Basically anyone who bitches and moans about how things are going to be terrible if sequestration occurs is missing the forest for the trees...and unfortunately that includes pretty much all of the top leadership in DoD as well as the majority of the relevant members of Congress (Armed Services Committees, etc). That's not to say that sequestration won't be extremely painful, but that's because of idiotic decision-making and asset prioritization within DoD, not because the budget will be too small.
This is a good post but I'll probably boil it down to, "we spend more now than we did during the Cold War, even adjusting for inflation and we spend virtually the same now as we did during the Bush years". That is if the topic comes up again, which I'm guessing it might. Anyway, thanks a bunch!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

I should clarify: we're going full sperglord here, I'm looking for the years of commission and decommission for each individual boat in the series.
You probably already found this but here's K-279 with the commission date and decommission year.

Do you have access to college databases? I can try checking there soonish [holy gently caress I need to stop procrastinating on my own paper].

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

not to mention the fact that they very well might prevent the jet from doing things like the TSP in the Pacific (there's a reason PACOM has a standing requirement for a squadron of F-22s to be forward deployed somewhere in the western portion of its AOR)
Gonna need an acronym breakdown on TSP. Google isn't being very useful for me on the matter either since I doubt the F-22 delivers "Thift Savings Plan".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the clarification.

Armyman25 posted:

So, why couldn't this be done by an F-18 squadron?
Because F-18s aren't Generation 5 (or whatever made up number) and can't super cruise and stealthily rape all of China.*

*not all of this is factual

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I understand it was the first battle fought beyond line of sight, and this question is obvious nonsense along the lines of "who would win a fistfight between Napoleon and Hitler", but why would you say Midway was more significant than Salamis, Lepanto or Trafalgar?
:911:

This is somethingawful.us son!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cold Turkey Hotdogs are pretty tasty :colbert:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

On the topic of drugging military pilots, this is the one I'm aware of that's actually legal for you to own*

Modafinil

Buy some and play some flight simulators all weekend while pooping into your trashcan for the ultimate in SIMULATION.

*I'm not a lawyer, check your local laws

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

No idea Flanker.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. And plus, if you keep your forces alive at all and manage to down an aircraft, you either get to go capture the crew or force the enemy to mount one very complex, risky, expensive operation to recover the crew.

Just look at the forces we used to ensure we could get to O'Grady:

"Two CH-53 Sea Stallions with 51 Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, lifted off the USS Kearsarge to rescue the pilot. The two helicopters were accompanied by two Marine AH-1W SuperCobra helicopter gunships and a pair of Marine AV-8B Harrier jump jets. These six aircraft had support from identical sets of replacement helicopters and jump jets as well as two Navy EA-6B Prowler electronic warfare planes, two Marine F/A-18D Hornets, a pair of anti-tank Air Force A-10 Warthogs and a NATO AWACS radar plane.[3]" + my Dad on a telephone at NATO HQ.
Amended.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wish they'd nuked the SE of America. It votes and it votes retarded.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stupid dirt always ruining everything good.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Minto Took posted:

This must be what growing up is like. Seeing the news that one of your childhood heroes is dead.

Man I love this being an adult poo poo.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grover posted:

And USSR training suicide attack dogs to carry bombs under german tanks; except they made the mistake of using soviet tanks to conduct training, and shouldn't have been surprised when the dogs turned around and blew up their own comrades.
Cyrano can post more words on this but from what I've seen posted before, "this is unsourced and most likely totally made up".