Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ciaphas posted:

Suppose that's true.

Overclocking aside, is anything a significant enough upgrade yet from the i5 4570 I currently have to warrant a new mobo/CPU (and RAM?)? I have a Vive now, and while most games run OK with my setup at good detail, more and more are starting to feel the crunch. Especially e.g. Witcher 3 at 2560x1440, it's a good thing that game can't go to 144hz at all or it'd be even worse!

Cpu you are fine, you should look at gpus either the upcoming rx480 or gtx1070. But at 1440p the 1070 or 1080 might be your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
For what it's worth I had a 2500k and a GTX970, and I had the money to upgrade one or the other but not both, and I bought a 1070. There's far more performance gains to be made with a GPU upgrade than a CPU upgrade from sandy/ivy bridge.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I was digging through some old stuff in storage and I found a bunch of PC magazine demo discs from 1999-2000 and some MMO demo discs I got from PAXes in '07-'08. I'm not interested in holding on to most of these, and I know they're not worth any money, but is anyone interested in collecting these things?

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...

A good poster posted:

I was digging through some old stuff in storage and I found a bunch of PC magazine demo discs from 1999-2000 and some MMO demo discs I got from PAXes in '07-'08. I'm not interested in holding on to most of these, and I know they're not worth any money, but is anyone interested in collecting these things?

If nobody pipes up in here, maybe check the retro gaming thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Is there a good, free, blu-ray player yet? I don't know if I should get a br drive on the build I'm planning.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

Is there a good, free, blu-ray player yet? I don't know if I should get a br drive on the build I'm planning.

VLC media player does play blu-ray without issues (tested on a laptop with a blu-ray player). You could just get a BR drive and plug it via USB so you can save some space (or even get a case without disc drive bays).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

wargames posted:

Cpu you are fine, you should look at gpus either the upcoming rx480 or gtx1070. But at 1440p the 1070 or 1080 might be your answer.
RX 480 isn't even doing as well as the GTX 1060 in most benchmarks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Guillermus posted:

VLC media player does play blu-ray without issues (tested on a laptop with a blu-ray player). You could just get a BR drive and plug it via USB so you can save some space (or even get a case without disc drive bays).

Does VLC blu-ray actually work now? Last time I tried it it couldn't handle the DRM.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Veotax posted:

Does VLC blu-ray actually work now? Last time I tried it it couldn't handle the DRM.

I don't think so, I just tried it with a relatively new release and it didn't work, but I didn't spend too long loving with it before giving up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Got my GPU replaced because it had a lot of coil whine. The new has less whine, but has a louder fan, even on idle. :pcgaming:

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 13, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone have experience with sceptre brand monitors?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I had a sceptre brand TV and it was the biggest piece of junk ever.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

ColHannibal posted:

I had a sceptre brand TV and it was the biggest piece of junk ever.

Seconding this, my old Sceptre TV had the worst color production of any screen I've ever seen. All skin tones came across as a muddled grey/green, it was absurd and insufferable. Worst TV I've ever owned.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Disgaea 2 PC released :toot: Running fine, unlike the first game.

Really hope NIS continues to port all existing and future games. First one came out 11 months ago and this would be the third game they've ported; pretty good speed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sab669 posted:

Disgaea 2 PC released :toot: Running fine, unlike the first game.

Really hope NIS continues to port all existing and future games. First one came out 11 months ago and this would be the third game they've ported; pretty good speed.

Does it have any kind of frameskip / speed up function? I can't imagine wanting to play Disgaea without one.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does it have any kind of frameskip / speed up function? I can't imagine wanting to play Disgaea without one.

It's a turn based strategy game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Yes, exactly. If it were an action game this request wouldn't even make sense.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

No, its a Disgaea game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yes... I had a 24" 1200p from years ago. After a few years Dvi port went bad so I shipped it to China. Guy said a cap blew and replaced the capacitor. It worked for a few months and it happened again and the guy couldn't find an issue. I told him what the last guy in China did, and he didn't respond and sent it back a few days later. A few months later it happened again so I just used the vga port which didn't have an issue. I later replaced it with two Dell ips monitors and sold it to my gf's brother for 25$

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but it does have settings to speed up the Geo Changes, Quick Combat, Quick Dialogue etc.

Is that what you wanted? I'll be home at like 9PM EST tonight if you want to add me on Steam and watch me play and see if it'd be to your liking.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but it does have settings to speed up the Geo Changes, Quick Combat, Quick Dialogue etc.

Is that what you wanted? I'll be home at like 9PM EST tonight if you want to add me on Steam and watch me play and see if it'd be to your liking.

Nah I mean literally like playing it on an emulator at somewhere around 1.5x - 2x speed. It was a long shot. :v:

Axxslinger
Jun 9, 2004
somethingawful account

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Ive had a 27" monitor for 8 years and it works great
Though apparently that is an exception

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Picked up a Steam Link which works great, but I'm looking for a wireless mouse/keyboard as I sit a fair distance from the screen it's hooked up to.

Does anyone have experience with using lapboards like the Razer Turret?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I've heard the turret sucks and the corsair one is so expensive.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I gather the best route for the Steam Link is to just play the majority of stuff using an Xbox controller, and things that just can't translate to a gamepad, get a Logitech K400.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Jehde posted:

I gather the best route for the Steam Link is to just play the majority of stuff using an Xbox controller, and things that just can't translate to a gamepad, get a Logitech K400.

This is what I do, and it works well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do refunds work on Origin? I bought Battlefield 1 on Friday, launched it for the first time Saturday, then requested the refund Saturday night. So within 24 hours of first launching it.

If I go to my order history page I can see this:

But clicking "See Details" just 404's.

Steam refunds are usually instant. Never returned a game on Origin before...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sab669 posted:

How do refunds work on Origin? I bought Battlefield 1 on Friday, launched it for the first time Saturday, then requested the refund Saturday night. So within 24 hours of first launching it.

If I go to my order history page I can see this:

But clicking "See Details" just 404's.

Steam refunds are usually instant. Never returned a game on Origin before...

EA support is usually really good so I'd try contacting them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Your Wait Time: 0 Minutes"

In queue for 10+ "please wait while we connect you to an EA Game Advisor". sigh.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have any tips for avoiding CTDs while playing Forza Horizon 3? Doesn't seem to be a thread for the game and I'm frustrated at getting booted out and having to wait for its ridiculously long load times to get back in.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Forza 6 thread doubles as a Horizon 3 thread.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

General Probe posted:

Forza 6 thread doubles as a Horizon 3 thread.

:rimshot:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Anybody know how the build quality is on the ELECOM trackballs? I've been having a little trouble with wrist pain recently and have been thinking of switching to a trackball for non-FPS stuff, but it appears that Logitech has discontinued their wired ergonomic trackballs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Somehow, I lost the loving adapter for my wired 360 controller for my PC, so I finally upgraded to a wireless one.

Couldn't figure out how the hell to shut it off. Turns out, you can't! Not officially, anyways.

I got the work around working, but just honestly. Microsoft what the gently caress do you even do :sigh:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

Somehow, I lost the loving adapter for my wired 360 controller for my PC, so I finally upgraded to a wireless one.

Couldn't figure out how the hell to shut it off. Turns out, you can't! Not officially, anyways.

I got the work around working, but just honestly. Microsoft what the gently caress do you even do :sigh:

I just pop the batteries out when I'm done with it. The little battery door on mine is broken so its really easy/quick.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You leave the controller alone and it turns itself off after about 15 minutes. That's the way it's supposed to work.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
My XBONE controller shuts off if you just hold down the X button for a few seconds. Not sure if that works the same for the 360 wireless.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

LLJKSiLk posted:

My XBONE controller shuts off if you just hold down the X button for a few seconds. Not sure if that works the same for the 360 wireless.

Or when the batteries run out in the middle of a game because there's no way at all to check the battery level

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

My Oculus Home was freaking out the other day because I was trying to start a game while the controller was getting low. I got 5 more hours out of the batteries though. I'm pretty sure if you look at the controller through devices and printers, you can see battery level as well. Not saying it's an easy source, though it does report it somewhere. Not like it helped me any when they died while I was playing dark souls 3.

And yeah, holding down the Xbox button for 5 or 10 seconds should force a shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
In Windows 10 you can download the "Xbox Accessories" app and it will show your battery level on the xbone controller.

• Locked thread