Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Propugnator posted:

Don't forget some much needed accessory items, such as:

I don't know if they've gotten better in recent years, but personally I always found headsets to be a waste of money. I used headsets for a long time, and almost every year, SOMETHING would break on it, and it would usually be the stupid microphone. Of course if it's not something obvious and easy to fix, then you just have to replace the whole damned thing. So I just ended up buying a $4 desktop microphone from NewEgg and a pair of Sennheiser headphones. Both the microphone and the headphones sound better than any headset I've used, and they're both still working without problems (my guess would be because there's less moving parts and wires to get broken now that the mic isn't connected to the headset).

Ularg posted:

I have this, but mine started freezing the cursor on the screen every few seconds for a second. Think it might be driver related?
For what it's worth, when I got my MX518 a few years ago, I did a lot of Google searching and found out a lot of people were having problems with the Logitech drivers. I just didn't install any drivers, and let Windows auto-detect and auto-install whatever USB mouse driver it uses. It worked on XP and I'm using it the same way on Windows 7 now. The DPI buttons still work (you can choose between, I think, 1600, 800, or 400), and the two side buttons sometimes work (I've had them work in Source games, Red Orchestra, Crysis I think).

I have no idea if your problem is driver related, but you might try just running it without the drivers since they're not really necessary to maintain the basic functionality of the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

So I find myself wanting to get a new keyboard. I have an otherwise pretty nice PC setup, but my main input method is a 4-year-old $10 Microsoft keyboard.

I did some reading, and it sounds like mechanical keyboards are the poo poo. I was thinking about picking up the Das Keyboard Model S Silent, but if anyone has experience with that or other mechanical keyboards for gaming, I'd appreciate more opinions.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Vertigus posted:

Give one a try before buying one online.
Yeah, unfortunately I can't find any places around here that carry them.

404notfound posted:

The most important thing is to have decent rollover
Yeah, this is part of the reason I think I want a mechanical one, because they all have the full n-key rollover thing going on PS/2, and I haven't found a non-mechanical keyboard that does that.

Also, what about lifespan? It sounds like these mechanical keyboards are supposed to last forever.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Thanks for the input guys. I read into some of the keyboard suggestions, but the problem is I need something kind of small. Most of the $50-range gaming keyboards I found with at least 6-key rollover were still 19.5" or larger. The keyboard rack on my desk is pretty small, so I need something around 18" or so to fit it. Plus, I don't like screwing around with drivers and stuff anyway, I don't need any macro keys or anything, just a sturdy reliable keyboard.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Das Keyboard Model S Silent. PS/2, no frills, and full n-key rollover. I'll post back once I get to play with it a bit!

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Can you run it at 59hz? Something with the way Windows 7 rounds refresh rates, I've played a few DX10 games that don't detect my display as being capable of 60hz, and select 59hz instead, but the actual refresh rate in the display's OSD is the same.

• Locked thread