Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What’s Opera, Doc? and I’m actually pretty serious if you haven’t seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

saladscooper posted:

Hi all, young aspiring opera singer here

My question is, does anyone appreciate Wagner, and if so, why and how. I likely will never sing Wagner unless I'm in the chorus (which restricts me to like half his output anyway) but he's obviously a major part of the rep and it would be nice to learn how to vibe with him at least a little bit. Most of the time when I listen to him, even in the shorter works, I'm just think "shut up" the whole time lmao

For reference, some of my favorite composers are Brahms/Ravel/Copland in the non-operatic division and Britten/Massenet/Sullivan in the operatic division

catch Meistersinger or Tannhäuser at a theater imo. listening to the music is only part of the Gesamtkunstwerk- they were written for the stage, not a concert hall

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yeah you need to actually be at the opera, Wagner doesn't work anywhere else.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
You’re all totally right now that I think about it. Thanks for the advice!

And I have seen What’s Opera Doc, just not in a very long time

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I've posted about seeing Wagner enough in this thread, but yes, hearing the orchestra begin a Wagner opera is chilling.

I got to sing in the chorus for Verdi's Requiem this weekend. That final fugue slaps so hard, but there are lots of little sublime moments throughout besides the Dies Irae. The brass during the Tuba Mirum and before the mezzo solo in the Dies Irae is unreal.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's pretty much the funnest think you can sing in a choir imo, if the orchestra is good. The a capella part with the solo soprano in the Libera me is so great

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I never got to be in the choir, but there were a handful of pieces where the orchestra got to sing along. Lets see, there's Mambo from West Side Story, Ketelby's In a Persian Market, and ..... uh, Carmina Burana if the conductor doesn't notice.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

zenguitarman posted:

I've posted about seeing Wagner enough in this thread, but yes, hearing the orchestra begin a Wagner opera is chilling.

I got to sing in the chorus for Verdi's Requiem this weekend. That final fugue slaps so hard, but there are lots of little sublime moments throughout besides the Dies Irae. The brass during the Tuba Mirum and before the mezzo solo in the Dies Irae is unreal.

Nice! I did a Verdi Requiem a few years ago. I liked singing the Sanctus and Lacrymosa best but that last fugue is really fun, too.

As it turns out Met Live is doing Lohengrin this weekend so I guess I'll do the whole five-hour shebang and report back. Not as fun as being in a real theater but the next best thing, probably?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Is there a musical theatre thread somewhere? I've been really pushing to get more pit gigs lately.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I think there's one in CD but that's geared more toward musical movies and not toward gigging at all. I love musicals so I'd love for there to be one

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

saladscooper posted:

I think there's one in CD but that's geared more toward musical movies and not toward gigging at all. I love musicals so I'd love for there to be one

I agree... I have two pit gigs coming up next month and would love to talk shop with some people.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I would always prefer to play in the pit than be on stage. Maybe I should properly learn to play another instrument, but those pit books are tough.

That said, I'm not the biggest Broadway consumer, but I saw Wicked while I was in NYC last weekend and it was really, really, really good. Like, I knew some of the songs, but it just pressed all of the right buttons for me. Amazing show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
have any of you choir people done the Berlioz requiem because the Lacrymosa from that is one of my favorite choral movements in anything

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I would always prefer to play in the pit than be on stage. Maybe I should properly learn to play another instrument, but those pit books are tough.

I'm doing (on cello) a full production of Spelling Bee and a full production of Into the Woods, three concerts for the two volunteer orchestras I'm in, and my full time job all on top of that all in the span of like two and a half weeks. I'm going to die

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

ive been obsessed with brahms' third symphony lately

especially this recording, it's perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHlzuW9Ca1Q

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

tristeham posted:

ive been obsessed with brahms' third symphony lately

especially this recording, it's perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHlzuW9Ca1Q

this was such a great way to start my weekend and the Poco Allegretto has been in my head all day since :3:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

got tickets to see Yuja Wang with Igudesman & Joo playing a Rachmaninoff program for his 150th birthday :toot:

I've been hoping to see Igudesman & Joo for a decade and a half, ever since I saw this banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Should I make the switch to an iPad or some sort of tablet instead of using paper sheet music? Been thinking about this a lot lately

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I'm a fan. I use a 12.9" iPad, Apple pencil, and forScore for 95% of my side gigs and practicing at home. but my main employer has a music librarian, so we get physical copies already marked up with cuts and other notes from the directors, and it would be too much work for me to turn them into pdfs. When I played for one synagogue in Manhattan they had iPads ready and preloaded with all the music for every musician lol

also that Igudesman & Joo + Yuja Wang concert was amazing and Wang played from an iPad with one of those bluetooth pedals for turning pages.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Do you use a foot pedal for page turns?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I haven't ever felt like I needed one; a light tap on the screen is easy for me to manage. it'd be simple to get one later if you're having an issue with page turns

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Most tablet users in my orchestra use foot pedals and forscore. I prefer paper and pencil myself

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I mainly want to use it for pit gigs because I wouldn't have/be a stand partner who can turn the page. Can i get away with using a cheapo tablet for this?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

imo unfortunately I wouldn't recommend a budget tablet for reading music, especially live playing.

I'm not a fan of apple and spent a lot of time looking for viable alternatives, but wasn't confident in the competition. you want very fast responsive page turns and a very clear large display, and the apple pencil 2 works as fast as a real pencil if not faster, plus you can switch pen/highlighter colors on the fly

I bought used 2020 ipad pro from Swappa.com and also got big tax write-off for my 1099 work

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ferroque posted:

Should I make the switch to an iPad or some sort of tablet instead of using paper sheet music? Been thinking about this a lot lately

I started using ForScore on an iPad Pro early in 2022 and (apart from bound opera scores and things) have never looked back

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

There is a new recording of Mahler 2 by Semyon Bychkov and Czech Philharmonic. It feels very fresh and he really exaggerates the tempo changes. It's also wonderfully mixed, maybe even especially for headphone listening. It's a piece I used to listen to constantly and so I was pretty amazed by some of the choices he made. The last movement doesn't have the drama of the Bernstein recording but I think the first movement is the best version I've ever heard. Maybe I will go back to it this week and jot down some more notes but definitely worth checking out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'll give it a shot, the Czechs have a great Mahler tradiditon

My favorite Resurrection weirdly is a pickup/festival orchestra, Ozawa w/ Saito Kinen on Sony.

(Ozawa never gets credit as a Mahler guy but his cycle is cool, especially because there isn't much Mahler from Boston. Might be a marketing thing, I think a lot of Ozawa/BSO stuff was more heavily marketed in Japan)

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

BWV posted:

There is a new recording of Mahler 2 by Semyon Bychkov and Czech Philharmonic. It feels very fresh and he really exaggerates the tempo changes. It's also wonderfully mixed, maybe even especially for headphone listening. It's a piece I used to listen to constantly and so I was pretty amazed by some of the choices he made. The last movement doesn't have the drama of the Bernstein recording but I think the first movement is the best version I've ever heard. Maybe I will go back to it this week and jot down some more notes but definitely worth checking out.

Listening right now. I can't resist a solid Mahler 2 recommendation, and halfway through the 1st movement, this is pretty awesome!

This is a great recording, but what the heck happened to the recording at 8:46 of the second movement?? Big volume jump for a few seconds. I almost want to fix the recording with some audio editor.

80k fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 16, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/locke569018857/status/1652578736586489858

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Whom amongst us

webcams for christ posted:

catch Meistersinger or Tannhäuser at a theater imo. listening to the music is only part of the Gesamtkunstwerk- they were written for the stage, not a concert hall

Not an opera guy but my orchestra has played the overtures for both of these and they shred. Tannhauser is notably one of the rare instances where I, a French Horn player, have been genuinely envious of another brass part (when the trombones repeat the opening melody)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhGuEW4k5w

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I got to see the San Francisco Symphony perform Ein Heldenleben last week. Is maximalism still in style? If so it's the perfect piece to go along with it.

Hilary Hahn got sick at, but they got a good pianist at the last minute to play Beethoven Piano Concerto no. 3. Tough shoes to fill but the audience was kind to him

The program opened with a tone poem by William Grant Still, who I'd never heard of but it was beautiful and I'm going down a rabbit hole of his music today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MJOo6AqbY

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Went to a bang-up performance of Rigoletto this week. Excellent soloists. Unfortunately, some jackass got it into their head that they absolutely had to visually represent the lightning for the storm that happens in Act 3, which isn't even really a plot point. They did this by putting two strobe lights in the front corners of the stage at ground level and pointed directly at front center stage, so the audience was getting the full intensity of the lights right in our eyeballs. This went on for nearly the whole third act. It was so loving distracting. Would it have been so difficult to put the lights above the stage, which is not only where stage lights usually go, but also a better representation of a storm in the sky? Someone please give me a certificate in theatercraft, thanks.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lmao

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

This would have been amazing to experience in person. I love it when a performance gets creative with the performance space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2mxLAG4DSo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This recording of the Chopin piano concertos is amazing, goddamn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After playing with my orchestra since 2016, I have to audition for my seat for the first time :negative: Not a terribly difficult pair of excerpts but I've coasted on being first chair solely by being the most available for so long...

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Here's a nice Japanese production of Hansel & Gretel. No subtitles, but you know the story. You know it. I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't a guest appearance by Gamera at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O0pwUb9yKw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This came out a few month's back, but Marc Andre Hamelin playing the Bolcom rags on Hyperion is extremely recommended.

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68391/2

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Not sure how I feel about hearing ragtime on what I assume is a 9 foot Steinway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
i only know bolcom for his "art songs" (really cabaret songs that classical singers perform all the time) so i will be checking this album out post haste