Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

In the Recommendation thread, this person asked about choral music:

Fodder Cannon posted:

Where do I start with choral music? I only know Miserere Mei, Deus and God in Disguise. Should I dive deeper into Allegri? Where do I go next?

His post prompted me to look into what he mentioned, and I really like it. He hasn't gotten any replies so I wanted to ask here for similar suggestions. I checked out the modern choral link in this thread but I didn't really like it. I would like to know who else to check out from the same time frame as Allegri's work. I also sent Fodder Cannon a PM letting him know I'm cross posting since there might be better suggestions in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

crazyvanman posted:

Choral suggestions

Thanks! And as a follow up question related to classical music in general, how does one learn how to pick out quality recordings of music? Is it just a learned familiarity with a particular set of musicians or is it defined more by the record label?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Herr Napalm posted:

This is a really interesting question, as it gets to the heart of a lot of the back in forth in classical music. Interpretation is pretty much key, and the exact same piece can be played in a huge number of different ways.
What I'm trying to get at is that anyone who's good enough to record a CD with a classical label is going to be a fantastic musician, but there are vast differentiations in interpretation of a single piece of music. Picking out interpretations and where you stand is really important in gaining a critical ear for listening to the music. :)

Thanks - this is very helpful. I'm not very musically intelligent so I don't grasp the subtle technical nuances of playing but I know what moves me emotionally.

I'll keep digging around, to see what else I like. I live just outside DC, so I might check out a concert at the National Cathedral as well. This stuff must be very impressive live.