Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Trying to work my way through the thread and get back into classical after buying a turntable and discovering just how cheap/good a lot of old classical recordings are. I grew up in Suzuki and got overexposed to the point where I listened to very little classical for the last 20 years.

But random timely question: whats everyone's favorite classical Christmas music and or recording thereof? I'm looking for some intereing stuff that is more in line with a choir in a rennaisance church than the pops orchestra playing jingle bells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

landgrabber posted:

it’s not what you want at all but i gently caress with the nutcracker suite very heavily. it’s so well known for a reason
No, good suggestion, along with the other ones.

Probably didn't need to clarify in this thread, but I've run into a lot of "its i saw mommy kissing Santa claus, but with an orchestra" type stuff while looking around.

And Harlem nutcracker is one of my favorite Christmas albums.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Update: XM's online-only Holiday Pops channel is surprisingly good.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Feels Villeneuve posted:

because nobody liked Ozawa
Wait, what? I was an 80s Suzuki kid and vaguely remember everyone being overly into him as a classical music celebrity.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Perhaps a dumb question:

I found a playlist of Mozart's complete works in chronological order by Kochel number and am listening to it because why not.

So far have made it to K67, and while it's all incredibly impressive from a composer who isn't even shaving yet, it's also pretty bland and undifferentiated.

Is there a relatively distinct point in the chronology where things start to get more unique and interesting, or is it just a slow build and I should shut up and enjoy the ride.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Yeah, if I keep doing this harebrained gimmick, its going to be background music while I work until something catches my ear.

I'm coming at this more from a "Pokémon: gotta catch em all" mindset than trying to broaden my horizons of music.

It just kind of struck me that Mozart has 626 works and in more than 4 decades of listening to and playing classical music I've come across maybe 20% of them.

Which is probably true of every composer I like. But they don't have a convenient numbered catalog created by completist nerds that ensures scraps of music they composed when they were 5 are available as streaming recordings in my pocket 250 years later.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
RIP to a real one: https://www.classical-scene.com/2024/01/17/peter-schickele-88/

The obits are naturally more focused on PDQ Bach, but if you're old enough (and enough of a nerd), his Schickele Mix on public radio was probably more important to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

zenguitarman posted:

I have a bunch of his weird rear end tunes in my choral library at school, maybe I'll program something by him this spring. RIP
We did this in my HS glee club. The parents got a kick out if it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TujWPfxSk