Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

sina posted:

I have the complete quartets of Bartok and Shostakovich but I'm lost. I adore Bartok's 'Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta' and Shostakovich's violin concerto. Anyone have favorites? I think Bartok 4 was mentioned earlier on the thread so I plan to give that a listen.

You should listen to all the Bartok Quartets since it's only like 2 hours of music. #3 is the shortest so start with that one.

My fave Shostakovich is #3, people always talk about 8 but I think it's kinda boring. All the Shostakovich quartets are pretty consistently quality tho (unlike his symphonies), you should take the time to listen to 'em all!

One of my favorite quartet cycles is by Schumann. He only wrote 3, and published them all together (opus 41?), so it's not really a significant part of his output, but they're really nice. I like the first one the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YVAh3_rr1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

CowOnCrack posted:

I am looking for recordings of the Well-Tempered Clavier. So far I've listened to Andras Schiff, Sviatoslov Richter, parts of Glenn Gould, and snippets of others (Edward Aldwell, Jeno Jando, etc.)

For me, Schiff is the best I've heard. I hesitate to say by far, because obviously there are so many great things to say about Richter and Gould (and I haven't heard all of Gould yet), but there's something just unique about his playing. Who else should I check out?

Here are some links to share:

Andras Schiff, Prelude and Fugue in E Major, Book 2 (First recording):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgMf17ttTs

Sviatoslav Ricther, Prelude and Fugue in C Minor, Book 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEhX4lQLNg

I feel that Richter often plays his preludes and fugues too fast, but in this case his rendition is simply stunning.

Vladimir Ashkenazi's recording is worth listening to.

Schiff is the best I've heard too. He has such a great tone, my god.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

What do you guys like for contemporary classical music? I love the chunky gritty tendencies in 20th century classical but I'm pretty ignorant about anything that's actually happening today. What do ya all like? Especially, do ya got any recordings you think are particularly awesome?

A recent piece that I really like is Salonen's Violin Concerto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbBw03Q_3zw
It was written in 2009 and won the Grawemeyer last year. I don't really know how people feel about Salonen, I def get the impression that he's not looked on too fondly as a conductor, but I think some of his more prominent recent orchestral pieces are pretty good. I'm also not sure how representative this is of contemporary classical! It's mostly straightforward harmonically, and there's some almost pop-rock parts, which seems like uhh a contemporary thing to do?

Does anyone know of any prominent string quartets written in the last like 15 years? It's my favorite genre and I wondered if anything new was worthwhile.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

firebad57 posted:

More like last 30, but Kevin Volans' White Man Sleeps is great, and his other stuff for sq is okay too. Peteris Vasks has also written some really cool stuff for Quartet. A really great way to check out contemporary rep for string quartets is to check out albums by Kronos Quartet, Jack Quartet, Ethel, Brooklyn Rider, Arditti Quarter, and other groups that focus on contemporary music.

I have a kajillion other ideas, so I'll write them when I get home.

White Man Sleeps is really good.

Besides Kronos and Arditti, I haven't heard of any of those quartets. Thanks for the rec, I'll check em out.

Since we're talking quartets, does anyone have an opinion on who does the best Shostakovich cycle? I've heard the Emerson, (some of) the Borodin, and the cycle the Pacifica is in the middle of, and I prefer the Emerson. I know the Beethoven Quartet premiered almost all of his quartets, anyone know if their readings are good or what?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

80k posted:

The Borodin quartet have recorded them (with varying completeness) several times. This complete set is truly fantastic. But the world of Shostakovich complete sets is an embarrassment of riches and everyone has their favorite. Check out Mandelring and Danel for great performances with great sound. The connoisseurs seem to go back to Borodin, Beethoven (great but bad sound quality), or Taneyev (amazing but expensive and I have only had a chance to hear some of them). A review of the Taneyev: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2005/June05/Shostakovich_Quartets_AMC20551.htm

I've listened to the Taneyev's full recording of the Myaskovsky cycle, and I thought they were pretty good, but the engineering was real bad. Some reviewer on Amazon said it sounded like they were recorded in a barn.

Speaking of the Taneyev Quartet, have you had an opportunity to hear the composer Taneyev's quartets? I've been trying to hunt down an affordable copy in my Quest To Hear All The String Quartets, but I ain't had no luck. I'm in the same boat with the Krenek and Honegger quartets, they're tough to find.

All I wanna do is talk about sting quartets!
Who are your favorite composers? Here's an exciting movement from my fave quartet composer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZw-0zArfX4

what about lesser known pieces? I'd like to hear about some that I may have missed. Here's a good one that's not too well known: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y10ZIF8jV4U

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

80k posted:

Never heard Taneyev's quartets myself. Have you heard Heitor Villa Lobos'? He wrote quite a few and many are fantastic. I am also quite into Karl Amadeus Hartmann and he wrote a couple of excellent quartets: http://youtu.be/xu9k3SSTf9U

How about Berg's Lyric Suite or Webern's Op 28?

Beethoven is probably my favorite quartet composer as well.

Edit: that Ginastera quartet movement was great! Gonna have to check out some more.

I have heard the Villa Lobos quartets. I thought they were pretty disappointing, tbqh. As a guitarist I'm really familiar with Villa Lobos' guitar music, both because its really important and also super good. I guess I brought to his quartets some unfair expectations. I do really like a few of them tho, numbers 1, 5, and 7 especially.

Love that Hartmann quartet! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Lots of drama, interesting rhythms, lyricism, good understanding of the string quartet idiom, etc. His life story is pretty interesting, too. I'm really surprised his music isn't championed more. If his symphonies get as good as that quartet they should be performed often just on the quality of the music itself, but since he was such a strong anti-fascist German actually living in Germany during the war, his music could obviously have lots of appeal for extra-musical reasons.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

80k posted:

Yea, I am really amazed he is not recognized more. I could not tell from your post whether you haven't heard his symphonies or you have but thought his quartets were better? In any case, I think he is one of the greatest symphonists. I actually discovered his 6th as a coupling on a Bruckner CD and quickly became a huge fan of his work and his story.
http://youtu.be/rUJAp9sNooE
http://youtu.be/pWm7GHRvKdo
http://youtu.be/N5AmqY5OSX8

Edit:also have you heard Willem Pijper's quartets? http://youtu.be/aZ4NphUlPHU

I hadn't heard his symphonies, but I really liked what you've posted. The Sixth is very nice, I thought the ending was one of the most exciting I've heard in a long time. Some of his writing and textures sounds very contemporary. There were passages in the symphonia that sounded like something Kaija Saariaho would write.

Do you have a preferred conductor for the Hartmann symphonies? His wikipedia page mentioned Mariss Jansons has conducted a few, but I thought his Shostakovich kinda uneven.

Thanks for posting that Pijper quartet. Its an excellent piece, his use of little motives throughout the movements is a neat lil trick. I especially liked the scherzo, it has a mysterious mood that I'm not sure I've heard anywhere else before.

Here's another quartet:
Benjamin Britten's quartet no. 2 (the music starts about 24:20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryxX6TNTJek

Britten wrote three quartets that are seldom played, with the second prolly being the most popular. I guess it's the best, but they're all really good! They're good! The slow movement of the third quartet is among the saddest music I know. It was the last large scale piece of music he wrote, IIRC. The Belcea Quartet has done a really good recording of the three quartets on EMI if y'all dig this.

Edit: oh poo poo all three quartets are up on youtube with a lecture beforehand! just search 'Benjamin Britten String Quartet" and they should be among the top results

david crosby fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 22, 2013

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Can anyone give me some good jumping off points for Brahms? I feel like he's always been a giant void in my knowledge of classical music. The only works that I can remember coming back to are his 4th Symphony and some of his latter piano pieces like Op. 119. What chamber works are considered essential listening? What Piano Concerto would be the best to start off with? Thanks guys!

As far as chamber music goes, I think you gotta listen to uhh lets see. The piano quintet, the second and third piano quartet, the first piano trio, and the clariniet quintet. His string quartets are good but not really essential honestly.

his violin concerto is a masterpiece, you've got to listen to that.

Brahms, for me, has always been the most difficult of the major composers. He's really rewarding, but you've got to put in a lot of effort up front. I think it's worth it though.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Warchicken posted:

Haha wow. I'm kind of surprised to hear anyone name that as their favorite, though . What do you like so much about it over his other works? Also just seeing "Dresden" and "Mahler" in the same place makes me a sad fanboy. Thanks for bombing the loving Dresden archives, us Air Force , nope the world won't miss out on anything as a result of that no way

for what it's worth, Shostakovich thought like the last 5 minutes or so of DLvDE was the best thing ever written.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Does anyone have any recs for a good recording of the complete Schubert piano sonatas? The Brendel set looks good, but it's not all the sonatas, so I was thinking of going for the Wilhelm Kempff set. I'm not familiar with most of them if that is important.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

theycallmeuncas posted:

Hi! I know practically nothing about classical music, but enjoy listening to it in the car and whatnot.

I've been studying Tolstoy this semester and read The Kreutzer Sonata, a novella about a lunatic that kills his wife. He dissolves into jealous rage after his wife performs Beethoven's piece with a famous violinist.

I could not consider my reading complete without hearing Beethoven's Sonata, so I gave it a listen (focusing on the first part, which Tolstoy's protagonist denigrates).

Also, check out Janacek's String Quartet No. 1, "the Kreutzer Sonata," based upon the Tolstoy story, based upon the Beethoven violin sonata...

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

firebad57 posted:

Apologies (sorry not sorry) for self-promotion, but I thought this thread might have some interest in this video my group just released:

2nd mvmt of Ravel's String Quartet arranged for three guitars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgD2vS7YpEo

Sure, arrangements are kind of tasteless, and guitar arrangements even more so, but this thing is goddamn FUN to play, and I think it sounds pretty drat good. It's a creative arrangement that our friend made, and we fleshed it out with some wacky guitar techniques.

If you don't know the original, go listen to every recording of the whole quartet. It's a loving masterpiece.

This is pretty rad stuff. Didn't you start a classical guitar thread a couple of years ago? did that die or what

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah this is literally the most moving music ever written. I've never heard the argument that Bach is like elevator music or passionless, that seems 2 me like an extremely weird and hot take.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

abske_fides posted:

Any fans of Schnittke here? I've been listening to some of his stuff and it's interesting but I still haven't had a-ha moment with his compositions.

I really like his 3rd quartet, but I haven't really had an 'a-ha' moment with any of his stuff. tbqh I don't usually have that kind of response with contemporary composers, I usually just find a work kinda kool and perplexing the first time I listen to it, and, if I listen to it further, I like it a bit more each time.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

To put it simply- I uh, have some issues with disabilities that makes picking up an instrument a little more difficult. Never too late to learn theory, I suppose. I just wish I knew more what a Scherzo or Adagio was, to be able to identify it the way I see others doing.

Aaron Copland wrote a book about form & major concepts in classical music: What to Listen for in Music. It's written for beginners, and you should be well on your way to being able 2 identify major forms after you read it.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Rollofthedice posted:

Is there any other rendition of Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream that can match Peter Maag's? His 1957 recording is one of the most magical things I've ever heard, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there that's just as breathtaking while being a bit more contemporary.

I've never heard the Peter Maag version, but the one with Judi Dench reading the lines and Seiji Ozawa conducting is really good. I think it was recorded in the 90's.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Money Bags posted:

I love Beethoven. One thing I love about Beethoven is when he takes the dying form of fugue and makes it new and exciting in so many of his works including his Missa Solemnis and Hammerklaver. I think fugue is best served as something a work breaks into instead of a standalone form. Any fugue recommendations are appreciated.

Check out Shostakovich's 24 preludes & fugues

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm not really a classic music guy but after reading a book on the Siege of Leningrad I listened to Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7 a few times and really liked it. Is there a consensus best performance/recording of it? I don't mind paying, obviously.

I'd also appreciate suggestions on similar pieces. I really like the unease that it seeps with.

In addish to what Krampster said, I'd also eventually check out Shostakovich's 8th symphony. Like the 7th, it was written as a response to the war. The emotional content of the 8th is much darker than the 7th, imo; if unease is what you want, then the 8th gon give it to ya.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

firebad57 posted:

I do loves me my Bream and Segovia records. I've spent a lot of my life as part of the young guitarist "ehhh Segovia" backlash, but dude was a great drat musician and guitarist. Sure, we don't interpret Bach and Ponce in the same style anymore, but that doesn't mean he didn't have sweet, sweet moves.

Segovia and Bream are, IMO, the two guys who really exploited to guitar to it's full effect. If you listen to either, what stands out is the extreme tonal contrasts they get out of their guitars, like, all the time. What Bream does, for example, is during a part where you have the same thing played twice, the first time he plays it really warm, right hand near the 12th fret or something, and then the next time he moves his hand really near the bridge, getting a super bright and tinny sound. Its such a cool effect, and adds a lot of umm not depth but interest to a piece. it really spices up some boring stuff like Giuliani, for instance.

I can't think of any other guitarists who get such extreme contrasts regularly. Like the current school of thought seems to be to go for a consistent tone, and only go for the extremes of warm/bright like once during a movement, to highlight maybe the most dissonant chord or whatever. Which is fine, but it would be nice if, out of the current crop of extremely technically gifted GFA/Tarrega competition winners, some would be a lil bolder with their tone.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

oncearoundaltair posted:

Brahms: The Four Symphonies
Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by Barbirolli.
Hugely romantic interpretations, charming and delicate throughout.

Have u heard the Leipzig Gewandhaus conducted by Chially? It's a relatively new set that won a bunch of awards in like classical music magazines and poo poo like that; I thought they were really good, but i'm not really a Brahmsian dude. How do they compare, if u know?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

oncearoundaltair posted:

Sorry, I haven't heard those. They're on my list, but I'm not buying anymore Brahms cycles for a while.
Was there anything in particular about them you liked?

The only other cycle I've heard is Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra from like the early 70s, and I thought that set was pretty boring. I guess Chially is more exciting and dynamic? Idk, it's been a while since I've listened to those Ormandy performances, maybe I'm just a better listener now. When I was new to Classical music I thought Brahms was pretty boring, defo the most boring of the major composers, but I uh don't think that now...

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

...whew.

Maybe it would help if you thought of Brahms as perhaps the original proto-goon, except he created something wonderful?

That would make it way, way worse?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

It was the only thing I could listen to during 9-11.

that was awfully prescient of you, to have it on as the attacks were happening.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Can anyone with Spotify point me to a good Brahms album or playlist so I can comb through the guy's work? Recent Brahms chat got me interested, and all I've heard is Violin Concerto in D, Op.77 3. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace - Poco piu presto performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter.

I also love Franz Schubert's String Quintet In C, D.956: 2. Adagio performed by the Emerson String Quartet and Rostropovich, with the play of the higher strings being underscored by soft bass plucking. Where should I go if I love that sound? More Schubert? Or someone else?

I don't have spotify, but if you'll permit I can make a few suggestions. First, listen to the entirety of both of those pieces. They're good! The Schubert in particular is one of the finest works yet written.

For moar Brahms, check out his symphonies. BBC music magazine did a survey of like 100 composers recently where they asked for their top 3 symphonies, and made a "Top 20 Symphonies of all Time" list with the poll results. It's an incredibly stupid way to figure out what the 20 best symphonies of all time are, maybe also it's stupid to try to rank symphonies like they're Eagles albums, but uh hey, guess what, all four of Brahms's symphonies made the cut.

In response to your Q about Schubert, It's like oddly specific, I'm sure that you can find high strings set against pizzicato bass lots in the literature, so I'll just say listen to late Schubert, especially, since you seem to like the part of the Quintet you've heard, the last 3 string quartets.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Aging Millenial posted:

Beethoven died too young. :(

He died at 56 after 8 years of a brilliant creative peak where he produced music meant to be as impacting, personal, and striking as possible -- the last 5 sonatas, 5 string quartets, 9th symphony, Missa Solemnis, Diabelli Variations (which I don't adore...yet.) I've been obsessed with these works for the past few years and listening to them is at the very height of my cumulative experiences of the arts.

The feeling I get when listening to late Beethoven is something I've been chasing for years. I've only found a few pieces that hit on that extraordinary level. Late Beethoven, for me, is the absolute best sustained artistic achievement in any medium in history.

Here are a few pieces that are similarly profound:

Schubert - Piano Sonata in B flat maj. This is some good-rear end poo poo, although Brendel doesn't take the repeat in the first movement like he should. Late Schubert is almost as good as late Beethoven.

Bruckner - Symphony No. 7

Bach - Saint Matthew Passion

Ponce - Sonata Romantica This sonata is written as an homage to Schubert. the last movement is :discourse:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Money Bags posted:

:hfive:
I'm unfamiliar with Walton's stuff so I'll have to check out the 1st tonight while you're at the show. We'll compare notes later.

i'm not really familiar with Walton, BUT i can recommend two really cool pieces:

Five Bagatelles for guitar, this performance is ridiculously virtuosic.

Cello Concerto

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

krampster2 posted:

I love going to my local SO (Queensland Symphony Orchestra) because they have amazing student prices. $50 for any seat in the hall, even box seats which are normally $120! It's a good thing too considering the rising average concert age that people always go on about. I try and do my bit by taking friends who don't normally listen to classical but I think they just like getting to dress up and see the big hall.

I force my friends to go sometimes and they also use it as an excuse to play dress up. Which is embarrassing, but I let it slide because they're putting up with my poo poo.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Has anyone read the Beethoven biography by Jan Swafford? I've heard it's the best Beethoven bio.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Aging Millenial posted:

It's excellent. I read it in the summer of 2015 and I'm now just finishing up listening to the audiobook version of it. I'll probably read it a third time if/when I learn a little more music theory but the book IS accessible to people who are merely interested in learning about the composer and his music without having too much interest in academic technical details. It's an epic read too but Swafford's prose is a breeze and he's never boring.

The biography by Lewis Lockwood that came out in 2003 is also good -- a shorter read but Lockwood is an academic authority on the composer. Lockwood's book is more focused on the composer and his music whereas the Swafford tome is interested in those things as well as the general society and politics of Vienna/Europe during that era. You'll get an earful about Napolean's campaigns and the Congress of Vienna in Swafford's book. I enjoyed every bit of it.

Both these books are good and complementary IMO but hey i'm monomaniacal about this subject

That book is 40 years old. It's well regarded though and sits unread on my bookshelf.

Cool, I'll also try and check out the Lockwood bio. I think I read his book on Beethoven's string quartets a few years ago, but it was way over my head.

I just listened to the 'new' Grigory Sokolov album. It's older recordings (like 90s and 00s, iirc) of a Mozart and a Rachmaninov piano concerto. They're loving sick, and I think Sokolov might be the greatest living pianist.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

This is cool: Nikita Koshkin - Prelude and Fugue in a Minor

It's from a series of 24 preludes and fugues for the guitar (!)

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

I've been listening to a lot of Sibelius lately, I don't think his 3rd symphony gets the recognition it deserves. I think it's really catchy basically all the way through, which is rare, IMO. Here's a youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Qq-8rI34Q

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

firebad57 posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/166976094

I finally got my practice stream looking (mostly) the way I want! I'm working on this crazy arrangement of the Concierto de Aranjuez for 3 guitars, so hopefully this is interesting to someone, anywhere.

That's cool. do you generally practice standing up? I've only seen one other classical guitarist do that, it looked super awkward.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

firebad57 posted:

In Feb, I injured my back while exercising, and it's kinda turned into a huge, lifechanging thing. V long story short - turns out I minorly injured a disc in my lumbar spine, and when we xrayed to check it out, we discovered I have a congenital fusion of L3 and L4 vertebrae, meaning spine-loading activities like lifting weights, sitting, etc. will always be way harder on that disc than they would be in a normal person. As a result, my physical therapist strongly advised me to avoid sitting as much as possible, especially while I am recovering from the injury, but in general as well.

I've been making a bunch of lifestyle changes since, including change all my working to standing - that includes using a standing desk for administrative work, arranging, etc, practicing and teaching standing, and basically only sitting to eat food with people. I'm still going to perform sitting down with Mobius Trio, cuz it would be weird as hell if I was standing while the other two dudes sat.

TL;DR - yeah, I always practicing standing now because I am an old gimp. It's weird, but it's surprisingly easy, and I'd rather look like a dork than have the type of sciatica symptoms I've seen end the performing careers of some great artists .

THat sucks rear end dude. have you had to adjust your technique to cope with this different body position? I've tried with cushions instead of footstools and I feel like I have way less control, or that the guitar is slipping away from me, idk.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

I found this cool Dutch composer on youtube after clicking around on random links: Simeon Ten Holt - Canto Ostinato

It's a pretty sick rear end minimalist piece. It's structured so there are these small cells of music, maybe 1-3 bars long, and each cell can be repeated ad libitum for however long you want, and then you move on to the next one. It's sort of like Terry Riley's In C, but there is, I think, less leeway for individual performers to drop out, play on different beats, etc. so that while the piece is long and has a set of musical ideas with irregular repetition, the ideas themselves are strictly presented. Pretty cool poo poo, the performances naturally vary in length, so there are a bunch on youtube that are 1.5 hours, and there's one that's four hours! That's so long! haha

anyway 2 questions to maybe get some discush going:

1. Can you recommend me some sick rear end minimalist pieces. I'm pretty familiar with the big names, maybe something off the beaten path would be cool.

2. How do y'all find new music? do you click links on youtube, read reviews, have friends with good taste, google 'best piano sonatas of all time'? I've fallen into a rut for classical music, and there are too many resources/I'm too lazy to develop a rigorous plan to find some new poo poo.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A human heart posted:

Have you heard Julius Eastman, he was incredibly cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_QGQcKq1ik

no, this is good. I read about his life on wikipedia and it's really sad.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Tiresias2 posted:

What do y'all think of Franz Schubert?

He's good.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Schubert is Beethoven/Mozart level good, yeah.

Tiresias2 posted:

Out of curiosity, why are the Bach/Beethoven/Mozart comparisons meaningless? I know it's abstract, and doesn't delve into the more interesting yet probably technical details of what makes music captivating, but it seems like a fairly good rule of thumb for what's best. I know the whole idea of "best" in art is questionable, but I believe it's down to what evokes the most meaning, and that's basically knowable quantitatively simply by how many mental associations and feelings can be derived from a given work by the universe of potential listeners. Though there will most likely never be a way for us, rather than some theoretical God or objective universal observer, to know that reality, I don't find it absurd to suppose that it is real nonetheless, by analogy, which is the same reasoning we must use to even suppose that other consciousnesses are even real.

The comparisons are only meaningful as a shorthand for describing things that are much more complex and also as a sort of barometer of taste. Any artist who's work exists on that very high level of quality is, at least within a human lifetime, infinitely rich; you can always go back to their work and find new things about it that are exciting and make new mental associations & have new feelings. I think you could very easily spend your life listening to Mozart or Schubert, which makes the questions of 'who's best' dissolve into meaninglessness. At least when taken on the human scale, which is the only scale that matters!!! THat said Schubert is better than Mozart.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Tiresias2 posted:

If both Schubert and Mozart were infinitely rich then we would have to cease to distinguish their quality numerically and begin to do so qualitatively, which is to say by what kinds of associations and feelings they tend to invoke. And I agree that, in that case, Schubert would be better, but that's only because, though I love the silly, I love the solemn more, and I don't know how I could justify that preference objectively. In fact, I can't even be sure that everyone would see Mozart as mostly silly and Schubert as mostly solemn and not the other way around. It's plausible that it only seems to me that Schubert is mostly solemn and Mozart is mostly silly.

Except, perhaps, by the same rule with which we deduce that someone is being passive-aggressive or vapid, both of which must be very careful deductions in order to not turn out presumptuous. A rule which itself is vague, and perhaps even different or non-existent in some humans! For a start, let's say that in passive-aggressiveness, we suppose the person is not being aggressive, and deduce a contradiction between what this implies and the person's behavior that, though it may be well concealed, can never be, in true aggression, concealed entirely. For inevitably the person must give offense. Even then it might be true that we are just projecting. And so, we would have to suppose we are not projecting and plumb the depths of our character and come out certain of the absence of contradiction. I hope this rule is found always agreeable, and, if not, that some improvement can be made.

And so, while examining our character such that we realize that we are not mostly silly people ourselves, we can try to pretend that Mozart is not being silly, but not help but be affected by all that a universal concept of silliness contains when we watch Don Giovanni, for example. Which, come to think of it, is a pretty profound tragedy perhaps in proportion to how goddamned silly it is. Even then, can we really have such universal concepts agreeable to all minds or is the endeavor doomed from the start?

But disregarding that they are both equally infinite, we may advance on a quantitative level. Then, how can you say that Schubert is better than Mozart if both are so near-infinitely complex that we would have to spend our entire lives just listening to one of them to know how deep he goes? We would have to live twice and maybe three times to complete the comparison. I mean, I agree that that is the case, but for us not to be deluded we would have to accept in ourselves some kind of ability to gauge depth of unimaginable proportions without actually plumbing those unfathomable depths. Well, if a rule for gauging depth did not exist, it would be very difficult to get any thinking done, and the difference between a rule that gauges 10 deductions worth of depth and one that gauges an unfathomably large number's worth of deductions worth of depth is only numerical, and, so, they are both, by analogy, the same in their essential function.

Also, if only a musician could know what kind of music God does or would prefer, if that musician were also adequately skilled at playing and composing, that musician would be best.

lol jfc

This is cool: Robert de Visee - Suite in d minor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

I've been in a Philip Glass kick lately. I get all the criticism that he just plays a bunch of arpeggios seven hundred times, but it's good working music. Any recommendations for a next composer I should check out to either get more of that, or the "pfff Glass is overrated, __________ is so much better"?

I posted some stuff from this guy on the last page, but I think this stuff is directly in line with what you want:

Simeon Ten Holt - Palimpsest