Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Saint-Saens has a good amount of cello works, and it's basically all great. This is a very good disc (Naxos stuff is available streaming as well)

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

algebra testes posted:

Piano Sonatas. I'm digging Schubert and Beethoven.

What else do people like?

Haydn for that general period.

For fun, try the Ives "Concord" sonata.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The main problem Spotify has is being unable to search by record label. I believe the dedicated classical streaming services have that, but usually I can find things reasonably easily with both the performer/conductor and composer in a search.

Primephonic is the "dedicated" one that gets a lot of press - it advertises its search feature on the website.

https://www.primephonic.com/

e) lol Primephonic doesn't let you search by record label either. Incredible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that is extremely good to know, Primephonic doesn't give me a standard advanced search thingy so "Naxos Ives" was popping up with a bunch of recordings of Ariadne auf Naxos before a single Charles Ives Naxos disc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

XBenedict posted:

Neither does Idagio , but I like the app a lot better than Primephonic.

why do they do that, god

am I the weird one here? Like I usually can't be bothered to remember a specific year of release or recording, when it's an artist who's recorded the same work multiple times it's usually "Bernstein's DG recording of Mahler 4" or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway i've been on a small Rzewski kick since he died a few weeks back. this one is fun, other than The People United... (which is close to a repertoire piece these days) Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues gets played sometimes as an encore- his North American Ballads are all great, though this one is the most famous by a good margin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYT_XmJKp_o

though if you haven't heard The People United Will Never Be Defeated! you really should

(if you want a recording it's a really common coupling to discs of The People United Will Never Be Defeated! - Rzewski's own recording on North American Ballads and Squares is also great, and on streaming)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 12, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sorry to gush about Rzewski again but Down By The Riverside from his North American Ballads is also amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE7sdiZe6UM

I dunno if it's at all practical to get the physical CD nowadays but really, really love this entire disc

https://www.amazon.com/American-Ballads-Squares-Frederic-Rzewski/dp/B013I9UF90

and wrt "The People United..." - like a lot of 20th century stuff it's really, really good to follow along with the score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvestPHTuWc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
crossposting - but since it's related to Rzewski, anyone have any favorites when it comes to (post)modernist pianist-composers from the 20th/21st century? Really want more stuff in that vein- especially his mixing of atonal "tropes" into tonal music in a way that doesn't come across as a gimmick.

also i am really sorry for the quad-post, lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i like chamber music

https://youtu.be/9UoJMB5_sGY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
been streaming this - this is my favorite Mahler set, though the Leonard Bernstein ones are both classic in their own way. Gielen is really good at bringing out the dark, bleakest aspects of Mahler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yup, go for it, it could use the activity

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The hammers in Gielen's 6th knocked poo poo off the top of my speakers lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

landgrabber posted:

i'm kinda just wondering how i should listen to opera to begin with.

should i look up translated words to it all and read it along with the music? should i watch recordings? how do i know what a good recording of one is?

kind of a similar thing with swan lake, though i've gotten into it more since i know the plot outline and the music itself is just so good. but figure i'm missing something.

swan lake bangs btw. operawise right now i want to check out tosca and the valkyrie

I can't do opera with electronic librettos, I need a book. Get a CD of something nice and accessible (Verdi, Bizet, Mozart) and read along.

Knowing the plot going in is good as following the emotional beats of the plot (which is what determines the music) is more important than the often ridiculous plots.

Tosca is good, any of the great Puccini or Verdi operas (well, maybe not Don Carlos) are good first operas. I wouldn't do Britten as an intro, he's not the most accessible jumping point despite being English

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 16, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also stick with major labels for releases of well known operas, excellent opera singers are extremely expensive and the big guys (mostly DG, EMI/Warner, Philips and Decca) could afford them. It's not like orchestral stuff where these days you can get great performances out of budget labels.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 16, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Barber, Rochberg, Gorecki (there was a period where Gorecki 3 was like the hottest thing to program in the early 90s) are good in the "neo-romantic", more tonal late 20th century mold.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
out of curiosity does anyone have any pianist favorites who specialize in 20th century/contemporary/avant-garde stuff who aren't Marc-Andre Hamelin

nothing against Marc-Andre Hamelin but he mostly records on Hyperion who are the one major classical label who don't do streaming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you want a great "disturbed by war" (in this case, WWI) piece, look for a recording of "La valse" by Ravel. The Charles Munch version is especially good- one thing you frequently hear about the work is the image of Viennese ballrooms with bombs going off in them, though IIRC Ravel denied any political message in the piece.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have been on a Morton Feldman kick lately. Bizarrely he reminds me of Webern which is hilarious since Webern is known for extremely short pieces and Feldman for extremely long ones (the infamous String Quartet No. 2 can last up to six hours), but they both have that sort of "suspended in air" feeling that one writer compared to a musical version of an artistic mobile.

Rothko Chapel is probably the best place to start, but I really, really liked Triadic Memories. It's minimalist in the sense that it's based on sustained mood, and small but significant changes over an extended period of time - it's his longest solo piano work technically but most renditions seem to last about 90 minutes. (This one is 60 - the nature of Feldman compositions mean there is a lot of variation in how long pieces can last).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46X7s2T93XY

This isn't background/ambient music in the sense that you aren't supposed to pay close attention to it btw- It can probably work that way but it really rewards just getting in a nice quiet space and focusing on it. If that sounds like something you'd like, heyo.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 12, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Concertos which end with a quiet movement or aren't particularly virtuosic still rarely get played. When people pay for soloist performances they still want to see them go wild.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cephas posted:

Was relistening to beethoven's emperor concerto and was just completely in awe of the second movement. I had to go back and listen to it over and over again. It's like, straight up.... transcendent? When the strings swell in warmly, and the piano plays that light fluttering passage, it's like fingers reaching out and grabbing hold of eternity, only to see it slip out of your grasp and gradually float away. It sounds like the piano and orchestra are building up to try to recapture that climax, but aren't able to, and the piece gently fades into acceptance of how transitory that moment was.

If you haven't listened to Beethoven Op. 111, well, listen to Beethoven Op. 111 (Pollini is my favorite performer from that, in his "The Late Piano Sonatas" record which is one of the best classical records ever made)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Samadhi posted:

This may be an odd question, as this pertains more to musical history, specifically odd personal history of a composer.

I was listening to the local public radio classical music program while driving and they had the first part of a story about a composer who took a day trip to New York City to cash a check/get a haircut and went missing. This would have been early 1900's most likely based on the setting of the story, but the composer went missing and it turned into a frantic search to find him, with his wife calling all their friends in NYC and eventually the police. I can't remember the name of the composer to look up how the story ends and it has been bugging me ever since. I presume he was eventually found.

Does anyone know which composer this story was about?

I remember a story about Mahler getting lost on the New York subway around that time, though he actually had a job with the NYP there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are a lot of ways to play La Valse but I usually love the ones which go for maximum modernist nihilism. Boulez and Rene Leibowiz (amusingly on a Readers Digest LP set of "light classical music", because nothing is lighter than loving La Valse) are good for that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

landgrabber posted:

one of the things i like about tchaikovsky -- that's made his stuff easier to breach for me -- is that i think he has a really big sound most of the time. i mean, obviously, but there's often a celebratory or triumphant feeling in his compositions, and that makes it easier to encounter, because that's a feature of the pop music i love. like waltz in a flat major, dance with goblets, or 1812 overture finale, or waltz of the flowers.

it may just be a Romanticism thing, but can anyone point me in a direction for similar composers? it's tough because so much of romantic movements in music is just opera and i feel like i get more out of listening to the ballets and stuff

Dvorak, especially Symphony no. 8 and the Cello Concerto. Schumann's symphonies, and especially Rach- this recording of Earl Wild doing the Rach concerti and the Paganini Variations is an essential.

https://open.spotify.com/album/41eImZRW2jKn5tr0hkBFxj

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm unapologetically a "bleeding chunks" guy when it comes to Wagner. Some day I'll actually listen in context.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:sickos:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
god there's too much. the actual huge names of the post-war 20th century (apart from the guys you mentioned like Boulez and Stockhausen) are probably Ligeti, Messiaen, Cage, Reich and some guys it seems weird to consider "post-war" like Stravinsky or Shostakovich.

i've used this before, though unfortunately it's a pure list with no biographies or charts or anything. it's also missing a few major names like dallapiccola, so it's best used with another guide that actually tells you who these guys are.

the star ratings, are more of a "how often this gets cited"/importance rating than a quality rating, fwiw.

https://sites.google.com/site/classicalmusiclist/contemporary-composers-and-their-works

e) apart from the serialists: it kind of depends where you want to go. i had a bit where i really liked american minimalists- Reich and Feldman are still my favorites in that field, and everyone really should hear Feldman regardless of if you like minimalism or not (start with Rothko Chapel and Coptic Light, if you like those, Triadic Memories and then just listen to all of it). for Reich, listen to 18 Musicians (the original ECM recording) as an entry point- Drumming, and his early tape music (especially It's Gonna Rain) are extremely influential works if you were interested in that aspect too.

Rzewski is my favorite of the post-modern semi-polystylistic guys, and he was one of the few guys who made things like spoken word + piano work (De Profundis). he also has my favorite solo piano work of the century (The People United...) and a really cool set of pieces based on old protest songs (North American Ballads). Schnittke is also a polystylistic guy though his compositions are completely different in style than Rzewski.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 2, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

busalover posted:

Not sure I've ever listened to something by Reich... wait, is that the guy with the psychedelic piano loops that slightly change after 4 mins?

That sounds like Terry Riley, though I'm not really sure. Reich's best stuff outside his early tape music was with small ensembles and/or percussion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bump

I'm listening to the Ozawa/BSO version of the Berlioz Rome et Juliette (only available in some weird box set called "The Berlioz Experience" from DG, because nobody liked Ozawa) and this piece is still my favorite ungainly mess that's supposedly a "symphony".

the scene d'amour is probably the excerpt that gets played the most and Wagner apparently was bowled over hearing it performed, the whole work is a great ride if you don't mind it being a total structure mish-mash and has some of Berlioz's best orchestral music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEqd8VylDF0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pollyanna posted:

Post your favorite string quartets/quintets.

https://youtu.be/yNwv1qa2iqo

The Mendy F minor quartet doesn't get the reputation that some of the big Tragic Quartets like Death and the Maiden and Shostakovich 8 get, but it's maybe his best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7A4Iy0Ba8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stealie72 posted:

Wait, what? I was an 80s Suzuki kid and vaguely remember everyone being overly into him as a classical music celebrity.

iirc he got trashed in the local press in his final years a bit, but it's more about records where i almost always see people recommend stuff like Munch over Ozawa for BSO stuff, even in cases where Ozawa was arguably better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the trout is pretty much the definition of pure fun, you really can tell it was Schubert writing for his friends to play.

speaking of that I really wish I had been able to get people together to do Riley's "In C" back when I played cello because by all accounts that's an incredibly fun piece to do. unless you're the guy playing the piano, I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cephas posted:

It took me a while to, but I did listen to Pollini's rendition of Op. 111! It's wild and unbelievably pretty. The first act is so gnarly, but then those variations are so lighthearted and sweet. And they swing??? I really wasn't expecting such a jazzy sound from Beethoven of all people. The effect is dazzling and disorienting, like lovers dancing through time.

it's probably my favorite single piece of music ever written op. basically any pianist has to do that one but the Pollini disc of the late sonatas is one of my favorite classical recordings ever, even if it's weird to think of classical music in a recording/record-based way.

i think the short-list that i've seen from consensus is the Pollini late sonatas disc, and stuff like the Carlos Kleiber Beethoven 5, Maria Callas version of "Tosca", Solti's recording of the Ring Cycle, and maybe the Glenn Gould Goldbergs.

(if you want some other records I'd recommend, try out Igo Pogorelic's "Gaspard de la Nuit" on Deutsche Grammophon, Pollini's 1972 recording of Chopin etudes on Deutsche Grammophon, and the original ECM version of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians").

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
reich/glass/adams are generally considered minimalists. "post-modern" is predictably hard to define but a pretty common element is polystylism. Schnittke and Rzewski loved doing this - if you like piano stuff, I really recommend Rzewski's "North American Ballads" (the 4th, "Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues" gets recorded pretty frequently and has amazing use of tone color), and especially "The People United will Never be Defeated!" which also gets recorded a lot. Igor Levit did a very well-regarded version of that, which he paired on a disc with the Bach's Goldberg Variations and Beethoven's Diabelli Variations (like those two, it's a theme-and-variations work), but my favorite is Rzewski's own recording on Hat Art from 1992. It's the one with the abstract painting on the cover, he did a later one in a box set which wasn't as good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cephas posted:

edit: the thing I really wasn't expecting when going on my classical music journey is how the key defining word I'd use to describe classical music is "wild." But I really don't know what else to say. It's crazy to me that, just to use Gaspard de la Nuit as an example, that a suite could have 3 pieces that sound so radically different from one another. And when I think of "bold" contemporary music, I guess I'd think of bands like Radiohead, or some metal or postrock bands. But a lot of this classical music, especially some of the 1900s French pieces I've listened to, can be so dark and frightening and despairing. Or with something like the "Lever du Jour" from Daphnis et Chloe, or "La Valse," the music just goes all-in so hard, like there's nothing it holding back.

well that kind of thing was big in the late 18th/early 19th late-romantic era, but you're also dealing with abstract music. there might be an explicit program like Gaspard or a Strauss tone poem, but all the expression has to be done musically.

Cephas posted:

Le Gibet" reminds me of Debussy's "Sunken Cathedral," except the tone is more somber and hopeless, less mysterious and lush and grand. In Le Gibet, it somehow sounds like the air is open in the piece, there's this space between the notes, that makes it feel like being lost in a hopelessly vast desert.

try out -

Ives - The Unanswered Question (1908, rev. 1935)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3iBiQ90BXM

and while the Berlioz Requiem is my "favorite" funeral mass, and it's especially worth listening to if you like stuff that's expressive to the point of near vulgarity in a good way, Berlioz used that kind of tonal space in the Hostias where he had chords played by flutes and trombones, which was an extremely unusual use of orchestral color at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RSSjmgU6_Q

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there's a character who's a clear reference to Gilbert Kaplan which is a really inside-baseball classical drama reference lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hubert "Jerusalem" Parry, maybe?

e) someone else suggested Adrian Boult, better known as a conductor

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 25, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CPE Bach FTW

i think the only composer to match him on the ratio of "historically important and influential" versus "barely anything in the standard rep" is Gluck

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat good disc....

https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.553285

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone help ive gotten hooked on listening to multiple different versions of mahler 2

(klemperer on EMI is the best one so far)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

CPE Bach FTW

i think the only composer to match him on the ratio of "historically important and influential" versus "barely anything in the standard rep" is Gluck

thought about this a bit more and other contenders on the (historically influential/not in the standard rep) scale outside of early music are most French Grand Opera guys (e.g. Meyerbeer, Cherubini) and maaaaaaybe Weber.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think Weber is mainly known for that and the clarinet concerti which anyone who seriously learns clarinet is expected to perform at some point

i've heard an argument that Weber dying young was as much of a tragedy as any others like Mozart or Schubert, because he was just starting to show significant artistic growth in the area of romanticism, especially in his operas, and that we might have been robbed of a mature period for him.