Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Lot of Xenakis chat in this thread, can anyone help me out here?

Last year one of the percussion majors at my college performed an amazing Xenakis piece. Instrumentation was a kick drum, pieces of wood, bells, hollow oxygen tanks, etc. Very wide range of percussive timbres. The music was notated on very large pieces of paper, and everything was notated graphically with dots.

Anyone familiar with this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Yep that's the one thanks. Read up a little on it and Xenakis didn't call for specific instruments, just laid guidelines on what they should sound like ie this group is deep and woody, this group is sharp and clangy etc

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Can anyone give me some good jumping off points for Brahms? I feel like he's always been a giant void in my knowledge of classical music. The only works that I can remember coming back to are his 4th Symphony and some of his latter piano pieces like Op. 119. What chamber works are considered essential listening? What Piano Concerto would be the best to start off with? Thanks guys!

The requiem's been mentioned, it's a really amazing piece! I would also try his double concerto in a minor for violin and cello, there's a recording out there with perlman on violin and rostropovich on cello with the royal concertgebouw orchestra. I found it in one of my friend's record collections and then found it on spotify, so try that!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Just wanted to post about something I went to last week.

I saw Dido and Aenaes at my college. They put an interesting spin on it though, and played all the music through old korgs and moogs. They didn't change a word or a note of the opera, but the instrumentation change and the costuming really made it interesting!

They called it Dido on the Beach :thumbsup:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I joined the new hampshire philharmonic a few months ago and finally got to play firebird, among other things :allears:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

doing Sibelius 1 in my orchestra next month. anyone know this one?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

doing an arvo part piece in orchestra next month, any suggestions so i can "get" this guy?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I got to perform Mahler 1 for the first time a few weeks ago. Definitely a marathon but it's so worth it by the end

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Is there a musical theatre thread somewhere? I've been really pushing to get more pit gigs lately.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

saladscooper posted:

I think there's one in CD but that's geared more toward musical movies and not toward gigging at all. I love musicals so I'd love for there to be one

I agree... I have two pit gigs coming up next month and would love to talk shop with some people.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I would always prefer to play in the pit than be on stage. Maybe I should properly learn to play another instrument, but those pit books are tough.

I'm doing (on cello) a full production of Spelling Bee and a full production of Into the Woods, three concerts for the two volunteer orchestras I'm in, and my full time job all on top of that all in the span of like two and a half weeks. I'm going to die

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Should I make the switch to an iPad or some sort of tablet instead of using paper sheet music? Been thinking about this a lot lately

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Do you use a foot pedal for page turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I mainly want to use it for pit gigs because I wouldn't have/be a stand partner who can turn the page. Can i get away with using a cheapo tablet for this?