Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fail-Bot
Jun 27, 2008

run:cakemaker.exe
processing...
ERROR

The Black Stones posted:

This seems like the place to ask. I know gently caress all about classical music, but I've managed to hear some Chopin in some of my other hobbies and I've gotten really interested in picking up a collection of his works. But I don't know where to start, I'm basically looking for a CD (or CD's) that have a decent collection of them. If anybody can recommend something (If you're going to use Amazon, I'm in Canada, so Amazon.ca is preferred) I would appreciate it.

There's a lot of debate on who performs Chopin best (as could be said of all classical performances) but I would suggest either Maurizio Pollini:

http://www.amazon.ca/24-Etudes-Op10-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B000001G5H/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1297257466&sr=1-1

or Lang Lang. Lang Lang gets a pretty bad rap for looking goofy when he plays, but I still think he's an excellent pianist.

On that note, while most people claim the Romantic era to be the best era (with some of the best composers coming out of it such as Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, etc...), one of my absolute favourite composers is Claudio Monteverdi who comes from the Renaissance era. His style of choral writing is so straight-forward, but so very beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c477V0X3_k8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU