Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHERE IS MY COFFEE
Apr 22, 2009

WHO PUT THAT UP THERE
YOU GUYS ARE ASSHOLES
For the OP, I would specifically recommend Dvorak's New World Symphony, especially the first and fourth movements. Also, Sibelius's Finlandia. :black101:

Like many of you, I'm a longtime musician who has played Corelli to Copland and everything in between, so I base part of my judgment on how fun the piece is to play. Different composers from the same eras can be vastly different in this respect. For the early 20th century, Gershwin is always fun to play, but Shostakovich's pieces are almost soul-crushing at times. In the late 19th century, the Russians are usually exciting to play, but the earlier 19th century trend of pastoral pieces makes my bow arm want to fall off. Bach and Mozart may be deservedly legendary composers, but I hate playing their work. Bach's especially, because it was written at a time when string instrument bows were short and inflexible, and could not easily sustain a note, change in volume, or play stylistically. Playing Bach today denies my instruments their full capability, which is sometimes frustrating. My favorites are unpredictable, less methodical, and highly melodic, which usually means from Beethoven onward.

WHERE IS MY COFFEE fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU