Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Personally I like the classical music generated from the 18th through the 19th century. Beethoven, Brahms, Bach, Mozart, etc, etc. This period is where the modern foundations of harmony, composition and rhythm originated. I also like that all of this was brought up and then completely torn down in the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

In what way were those foundations torn down? A later composer cannot negate an earlier composer's work by composing more music. And the 2nd Viennese School which inaugurated the projects of twelve-tone and serial music saw themselves as being in a lineage that stretched back to Haydn and came down to them through Mahler. AND it's not like the great music from the 20th century even gets played enough at concerts compared to music from the 19th.

They weren't torn down in the sense that it completely destroyed the concepts I alluded to. Cage and Stockhausen are good examples. What these composers did was make people think about what they knew about Western music and while they never took off in the mainstream they did have a significant amount of influence on subsequent composers. This is obviously my take on it and it can't be quantified. Miles Davis's work in the late 60s and early 70s is probably the best example.