Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

david crosby posted:

When I was new to Classical music I thought Brahms was pretty boring, defo the most boring of the major composers, but I uh don't think that now...

...whew.

Maybe it would help if you thought of Brahms as perhaps the original proto-goon, except he created something wonderful?

Listening the the Chailly version now. Very dynamic.

Hello thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mahler posted:

Chalk me up as another person who finds Brahms a little boring. Everything is just so golden-warm and sleepy.

The sturm und drang in his symphonies is cosmic, so yeah, maybe it seems a bit slow moving. Jesus Christ his melodies are so drat delicious.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

krampster2 posted:

I know it's a common argument but Brahms is fantastic because you get the best of both worlds, the technicalities of Baroque and Classical music, with the passion of Romantic music.

Also he wrote a requiem and you should listen to it.

It was the only thing I could listen to during 9-11.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

AARO posted:

I recorded a version of Nacht und Traume by Schubert today.

It came out ok except that my German pronunciation is laughable.

e: I'm wondering now if the ritardandos I did in the beginning of the song actually just sound like bad piano playing. I was trying to play like this but i didn't really pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnK7tPTwHE

Commendable. I think Schubert would have appreciated the slight reverb. Hell, he would have loved all the effects he could have played with.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Borodin Qtet #2 in D, Janacek Kreutzer (not beethoven) Beethoven Qtet in Cmaj Op 59

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Money Bags posted:

I recently finished Beethoven: The Man Revealed by John Suchet, a biography focusing more on the person rather than the composer, and it was pretty good and interesting. It's fun reading about the possible love interests in LVB's life as a bunch of women who dodged a huge bullet since being in a relationship with Beethoven would be miserable. It's sad to think that he might have died a virgin but apparently there's a case to be made that he might not only have gotten laid by an actual woman, but could have had a child with that same woman. Crazy stuff. I for one think he went down to the Viennese red light district at least once to get his weiner wet. If Brahms can do it so can LVB.

My sister was insisting the other night that LvB had congenital syphilis and that was a factor in his deafness. I'd never heard, or forgot this

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Franchescanado posted:

Not to interrupt Mahler-chat, but I listened to Camille Saint-Saësans Symphony No. 3 in Minor C for the first time today, and holy poo poo.

I've only tried the Kansas City Symphony on Spotify because they don't have any Chicaco Symphony performances, which has been touted as the best to me.

*Brass fanfare drowns out your post, ending with a low, sustained E minor by the Tubas.*

Mederlock posted:

Kindertotenlieder is a haunting piece of music by Mahler... Would recommend

Once I had kids I never played that piece again. Call me superstitious ~Frank Sinatra~

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hahaha. That should have told the world what a piece of poo poo Windows 98 was by how they butchered the piece.

edit- piano by the mighty Annie Fischer. She was sublime.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

empty whippet box posted:

Gorge yourself on Puccini and Rossini to really get yourself in the mood, if you try to start with poo poo like Wagner you'll be like 'jesus christ is this actually going anywhere" and the answer is no, not really, hope you packed a lunch. Italian opera is ridiculously melodic and full of ear worms that'll stick with you for life. So is anything Mozart did. Bonus points to Mozart operas for having ridiculous bullshit in them like a character who hosed thousands of women who is a rather obvious Mozart mary-sue.

My personal favorite is Alban Berg's "Wozzeck" though, I think it is shamefully underperformed and under-listened to. Kinda depressing though, but that's opera for you, and also serial compositions in general.

No idea if the Met has done it, though.

This is a great post.
:golfclap:
:bravo:
:encore:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tiresias2 posted:

Like, rivaling Beethoven and Mozart good or just good? I really like his stuff, and I definitely would put him up there, but I'm just an amateur listener.

That's a terrible comparison, but yes, he can hold his own in the same room with Beethoven and Mozart.

edit

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They use one of his clarinet sonatas for the hold music at a medical insurance company we work with and it actually makes me like calling them.

lol there ya go

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tiresias2 posted:

If both Schubert and Mozart were infinitely :words:

Also, if only a musician could know what kind of music God does or would prefer, if that musician were also adequately skilled at playing and composing, that musician would be best.

They each did God's work, as each immensely enriched humanity with their own work. Which is perhaps infinitely ironic considering each one was utterly dissolute as a person. Maybe that should give you an idea of God's sense of humor as well.....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are all excellent, but the fifteenth, Op. 132, especially the third movement is one of my very favorite pieces of music. It was written as a sort of thanksgiving after he had recovered from some illness, but it has always seemed to me like music written for a departed loved one who’d suffered from a long illness or something. To me it has this great sense of loss and sadness, but also an acceptance or solace within that loss. It moves from hauntingly sad to sort of triumphant and then back to a sadness of sorts. Sort of ‘I miss my friend horribly and hate for him to have died but I’m glad he’s not in pain anymore, but then back to I still miss him and wish he were here’ and ends sort of still a little sad. Like much of Beethoven, it makes me feel a lot of feelings.

The violin part in II, Allegro ma non Tanto about 5:50 in sounds like angels conversing. Like "Hold on LvB, here's the thing..."

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

XBenedict posted:

Don't worry about it too much, it's on pretty regular rotation with most civic orchestra. It should be back around in 11.9 years.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Since there's like a hundred of them, what are some of the best/your favorite Haydn symphonies? And is there a good recording/collection of all of them?

There are what look to be some surprisingly affordable complete collections on Amazon, but I can't tell if it's downloadable mp3 or actual CDs. Adam Fischer & the Austro-Hungarian Orch. which is a well-liked rendition.
For the life of me, I don't know why the world's biggest online retailer can't at least offer lossless music. It doesn't have to be 24bit/ 96Khz, but that would be nice and they could certainly handle it. The fucks.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Steve Yun posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnRC7tSX50

I was listening to some Debussy and at about six minutes I got a strong sense of what I want to call “the John Williams sound.“ is there a better way to describe the sound of the strings that seem to soar high and create a sense of magic happening

Celestial? Nirvanic?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cebrail posted:

https://twitter.com/BRSO/status/1201098608210317312

Mariss Jansons has died. Here's a video of his Concertgebouworkest playing Mahler's 2nd symphony. It's spectacular performance of one of my favourite pieces of music, and you can see some great examples of his conducting style in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsFIv8VA7w

It really is spectacular. His animated visage would seem to agree that he shares your assessment of it as a favorite.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zenguitarman posted:

The Met is streaming operas for free every day until they reopen and they're available for 20 hours after the broadcast. Tonight is Carmen and tomorrow is Boheme. Sunday is Yevgeny Onegin conducted by Valery Gergiev :getin:

They're all old broadcasts but still nice if you haven't seen them yet, or even if you have.

Unfortunately they're website's getting hammered and all I'm getting is 503 lol

Amazon Firestick, Apple TV or Chromecast. D/lL the Met's app and use the free preview rather than signing up. This version of Carmen is glorious.

Latedit- I assume you can d/l the app to phone as well.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 17, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tonight is Boheme staged by Franco Zefferelli. Lemme tellsya if you only watch 1, catch this one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

blackgreywhite posted:

Dvorak op. 81, Takacs and Haefliger - right up my street. Beautiful.

I saw that quartet not too many years ago. Superb bunch.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Was listening to the amazing Brahms Cello Sonatas by Jacqueline du Pre last night and this morning Dvorak's Cello Concerto, recalling what an amazing talent she was. And incidentally, coming up during the Beatles' heyday, and the golden age of Rock n Roll.
https://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-D...ps%2C186&sr=1-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPza4XosW4

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is an incredible recording of her playing something by Haydn? IIRC and it is the prettiest/saddest cello music ever, but I can't remember what it is :(

What you're thinking of may be Disc 3 of the set, I believe, one of these concertos-
Playlist:

[01] - Monn Conc in g Allegro.flac

[02] - Monn Conc in g Adagio.flac

[03] - Monn Conc in g Allegro non tanto.flac

[04] - Haydn Conc in D Allegro moderato.flac

[05] - Haydn Conc in D Adagio.flac

[06] - Haydn Conc in D Rondo Allegro.flac

[07] - Haydn Conc in C Moderato.flac

[08] - Haydn Conc in C Adagio.flac

[09] - Haydn Conc in C Allegro molto.flac

I'm listening to the Concerto in D now, I'd call it rather wistful. The one in C is more rambunctious. You know her life story was an epic tragedy, right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've been listening again to the EMI collection by Jacqueline du Pre' lately. 16 or 17 cd's. Christ, what a talent she was.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

She was an astonishing talent. I have her 17 disc set and it's a treasure.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does opera go in here? Not sure, but holy CANNOLI I was looking up a singer and found this recording on youtube and that might be one of the best baritones I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eX0bQsW0uA

It is criminal that such voices were active before we could get really hi-def recording equipment

I'm not a big opera knower, but I feel like an idiot now never having heard this guy before. Holy cannoli is right.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

been streaming this - this is my favorite Mahler set, though the Leonard Bernstein ones are both classic in their own way. Gielen is really good at bringing out the dark, bleakest aspects of Mahler.

Not a fan of Bernstein. I thought his version was lightweight, which Mahler definitely isn't. Much prefer Chailly, even Gilbert Kaplan lol.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just listen to all the pretty music and don’t really care about the plot. Mozart’s operas all have very nice music to listen to and are very accessible-the plots are mostly pretty silly anyway. Find a recording that cuts out all the spoken parts and just has the real music parts if that’s what you want to do.

Most visual recordings of performances have subtitles, and live performances sometimes even have a translation projected in English somewhere.

This. Mozart's biggies are very melodic and easy on the ears.
Same with Puccini, Verdi, etc. Try to snag a video copy of one with subtitles. I'd never watched Figaro with subs until a year or so ago, and it's hilarious if done right. It was an Australian production, go figure, that just nailed it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

Trying to work my way through the thread and get back into classical after buying a turntable and discovering just how cheap/good a lot of old classical recordings are. I grew up in Suzuki and got overexposed to the point where I listened to very little classical for the last 20 years.

But random timely question: whats everyone's favorite classical Christmas music and or recording thereof? I'm looking for some intereing stuff that is more in line with a choir in a rennaisance church than the pops orchestra playing jingle bells.

Benedictine or Gregorian Monks, Mediaeval Baebes.....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zenguitarman posted:

The war in Ukraine is hitting the classical music world. Anna Netrebko leaves the Met and Valery Gergiev is losing gigs left and right. Ballsy of the Met, really. Netrebko is one of the biggest opera singers of the 21st century, but she's said some pretty weird poo poo about Putin in the past. Gergiev has been much more in the mix with Russian politics and art for a long time.

A diva and a megalomaniac walk into a bar

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pollyanna posted:

Post your favorite string quartets/quintets.

https://youtu.be/yNwv1qa2iqo

This was mine as a kid and I still love it. This is less a single performance than just pure fun had by these super star players .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdXoER96is&t=612s

or skip to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdXoER96is&t=825s

edit-
My dad, who was a consummate lover of classical music of all varieties, basically brainwashed me from childhood. He died last week at the very ripe age of 96, and I'm appreciating this music with coffee on a rainy morning, the fact that Schubert wrote it at 22, these geniuses that played it.....it's all a miracle

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 8, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

Ya'll should see Tar. It has some flaws but Kate Blanchett is amazing as a superstar problematic conductor and it's overflowing with super dorky classical music/conductor/recording reference. Hopefully this starts a trend of more films that thoroughly discuss the appropriate length of slow movements.

only real complaint is that when she puts the trumpet player off stage for Mahler 5 she doesn't mention that it was a technique Mahler himself used in other pieces—which she'd obviously know about as someone who recorded them

Releases Jan 18, 2023. It looks like a fascinating film. Did you already catch it in one of the select theaters?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

Had no idea it wasn't in mass release yet. I caught it at a smaller theatre in Toronto (Varsity). Only 30 other people were there including one guy who was AGGRESSIVELY snoring. It really is so filled with hyperspecific references that I felt bad for the people I brought but they said they liked it anyway.

The AGGRESSIVE SNORER sounds like a Seinfeld character who didn't make the cut.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

then again historical instruments people love making weird poo poo, someone reproduced the lira organizatta which is some horrific combination of organ and hurdy-gurdy that had a few concerti written for it by Haydn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VYSj1eHcM

I love it! Those guys demo'ing love it!! Thank you for this.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

webcams for christ posted:

if you want a lot more content like this, check out the Early Music Sources Channel

Wonderful, TY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

Perhaps a dumb question:

I found a playlist of Mozart's complete works in chronological order by Kochel number and am listening to it because why not.

So far have made it to K67, and while it's all incredibly impressive from a composer who isn't even shaving yet, it's also pretty bland and undifferentiated.

Is there a relatively distinct point in the chronology where things start to get more unique and interesting, or is it just a slow build and I should shut up and enjoy the ride.

Puberty maybe?

tbf, I've listened to virtually none of his early stuff, like pre-K...oh hahaha....