Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
This past Christmas, I dug out Messiaen's Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant Jesus. The recording by Steven Osborne. Weirdest Christmas music ever. I think at least some of it may be a put-on, like a lot of modernist stuff, but the parts that aren't a put on are some of the most amazing piano composition I've ever heard. There's just a strange, haunted sound to some of the stuff. And on others, the notes are so high and so fast that they actually sound like electronic music. You know, bleeble blurble and all that. It's pretty breathtaking. It's my first Messiaen, but it won't be my last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Slimchandi posted:

Try his Preludes as well, a bit more accessible than the Vingt Regards but still have some great moments. I think Messiaen wrote them as his graduation piece from the Conservatory in his late teens. I received Peter Hill's biography of Messiaen for Christmas and it's fantasticly helpful for putting his compositions in context.

Have you listened to much of his orchestral music?

I have not. The Vingt Regards was the first thing by him that I'd heard. I want to hear the, um, Requiem for the End of Time or something like that. I forget the title.