Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Overture to 'Cublai, gran kan de' Tartari' This piece was never played during his lifetime due to political reasons I don't fully understand.

Essentially this is because the opera in question was seen as being far too liberal and satirical by both Leopold II and subsequently Francis II, both Holy Roman Emperor.

Both of these chaps were very keen on keeping the established order as just that, established, so an opera satirising court intrigue and autocracy was not going to go down too well.

It's worth bearing in mind that Leopold II's sister was Marie Antoinette, and what was soon going to happen to people like her in France...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Bondage posted:

I'm really digging Baroque. Currently my favorites are Johann S Bach, Locatelli and Corelli. Also have listened to Telemann and Purcell. Can anyone recommend some decent Baroque?

If you liked Purcell you won't go far wrong with Orlando Gibbons, Thomas Tallis, John Blow and William Byrd.

If you only listen to one thing by any of those four, make sure it's Tallis' Spem In Alium.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 18, 2011