Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

dromer posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good brass pieces to listen to? While I love listening to symphonies and piano pieces, too much of the same timbre tends to make me zone out.

Also, I've been looking into non-minimalist modern composers. Does anyone have recommendations?

I can answer both questions with one guy (albeit a bit late). Dan Schnyder. Horn player named Adam Unsworth released an album called "Just Follow Instructions" (available on Spotify/Itunes/etc) which is various music by Schnyder either re-arranged for just brass (as opposed to brass + soprano sax) or originally written for brass. It is amazing.
Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/4ULYBDDWKWPJiKVwEUa06y

I'll also second the recommendation of Eric Ewazen's ouvre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Elephant, if you like that tuba solo, you might enjoy this trombone one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xrgLSK_aCU

They're quite different pieces. The 'Cappriccio' you linked has more of a persistent motif, whereas the Crespo Improvisation seems a bit more like 'free-form' music in that it goes whereever the composer happened to want.

However, something about the phrasing and rhythms makes them feel like two faces of the same coin, and after listening to the Zdislav, I immediately had to go listen to this to see if they really were as closely related as I thought. They're not... but still might be worth a listen.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Mnozil Brass is awesome, and Zoltan Kiss (trombone soloist) is one of the most natural virtuosic talents on the instrument these days.

Just for the sake of completeness, this is probably their best known work, and incorporates their sense of humor rather well, Hungarian Schnapsodie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY48zwwNBvI

Mostly Czardas, but with some other tunes that I can't identify off the top of my head.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

abske_fides posted:

Can anyone recommend some good minimalist contemporary music? I know the bigger guys like Arvo Pärt, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, etc etc and I'm familiar with some figures like Nyman, Einaudi, Van Veen, Bjørnstad, etc. Any recommendation is quite welcome.

I really love this type of music and am currently exploring the use of algorithmic composition from a computer within minimalist music as part of my degree hehe

Check out some Alvin Lucier. He does some really interesting stuff, especially his experiments with the interactions of very slightly (0.1Hz) varying soundwaves alongside microtone-capable acoustic instruments. You might find something you love.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Music on a Long Thin Wire is good, but I'm not sure it's much more than good if I'm being honest. It's just TOO minimal.

I Am Sitting in a Room, however, is amazing.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have explored non-minimalist music quite enough to fully appreciate the minimal stuff, so I tend to appreciate Lucier more for the interesting acoustic experiments and pitch interactions than anything else.

Hopefully my palate will continue to acquire new tastes, though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

regulargonzalez posted:

I've made a couple Opera Megathreads but they died short and horrible deaths. I think opera just seems too terribly intimidating and full of misconceptions (fat viking hatted sopranos, "ugly" and artificial sounding voices, stupid arias of people just singing the word Figaro over and over again)

For my part, I've enjoyed the only opera I've seen live (Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor). I also enjoy the Ring cycle, but as a trombonist I'm sort of required to.

Lucia is probably best known as being the source material for the aria, "Il Dolce Suono", the "Blue Diva" sings at the party in the Fifth Element, but the whole thing is good in its own right.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
If it really starts to drive you crazy, Chopin's all public domain, so the sheet music is all here:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Chopin,_Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric

Probably 20-30 minutes of work to find the right etude or nocturne, though.

Maybe Op.10 #3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yjnLmv1hHU

Pretty popular etude, at least.

EDIT again: Etude 19 starts with "Ba-doo" anyway, but I'd call the tone more pensive than mischievous.

EDIT yet again: Op.15 No. 3 Nocturne could maybe fit the bill? Bit more playful than the second etude.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 19, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm not sure how I feel about this myself, but do you guys tend to prefer "Beethoven's" tempos for Symphony 5 mvt.1 (much faster than most conductors play it, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gXdWELSgEQ) or the traditional interpretation (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM3y09RjKLs)?

I find myself inclined towards something more in the middle (a la Kleiber's interpretation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqsT00B0ttI), but I tend to lean toward the slower and more weighty interpretation rather than the faster, lighter one.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My brother just shared this recording of Itzhak Perlman playing Khachaturian's Russian Concerto in D in his prime with me.

His staccato playing is patently amazing. Clear, defined, smooth and with a brilliant tone.

Must-listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZgpNXo4iuI

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I saw the Boston Symphony perform Brahms 4 up at Tanglewood a week and a half ago.

What an amazing piece to hear live by one of the country's best orchestras, especially with probably the best trombone section in the country right now.

Horn section was also phenomenal, most unified sounding horn section I've ever heard. Even that slight bit of "rasp" in the stereotypical horn sound seemed to be calibrated among the horn players, in the manner of violinists matching vibrato/bowing for sustained notes. I don't think a recording could ever do that performance justice.

That being said, the Beethoven 3rd piano concerto that Yefin Bronfman played was extremely underwhelming to me. It was very reserved and unemotional, and while Bronfman managed to hit all the notes, it was missing much of its je-ne-sais-quoi. At no point did Bronfman feel like a soloist, so much as a section piano player with a slightly more important part than usual in the symphonic repertoire.

Does anyone have any suggested recordings of the Beethoven? I truly loved Richard Goode's performances of the Beethoven Sonatas, if that gives any of you a hint as to my tastes in piano interpretations.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 22, 2013

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
It's amazing how widely certain composers' relative quality levels vary.

Orchestra I play with has been working on Dvorak's Golden Spinning Wheel for the last couple weeks. Completely forgettable, more difficult than it needs to be, and, like most of Dvorak's stuff, makes the second trombone play alto clef :argh:.

Because the orchestra vocally hated it (I didn't say a word, the conductor has every right to choose the orchestra's repertoire regardless of what I think about it), we've switched over to Dvorak 8, which is a truly glorious, beautiful, moving and fun piece to play.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

diddy kongs feet posted:

I'm the kind of piece of poo poo who talks a big classical music game without knowing anything about it. I've had nothing but Yasushi Akutagawa on loop lately and I want more (similar or otherwise) up-beat, motivational classical music. That's really the best I can articulate it, that's how bad I am.

Honestly? That's good enough for anyone who does know classical music, too.

Take my uncle, for example- goes to see Chicago/New York/Royal Concertgebouw/Berlin multiple times every year, especially if they're doing Mahler/Verdi/Bruckner. Doesn't know a thing about music or music theory (I remember I bought him a book about Mahler, his favorite composer, for Christmas one year and he spent the next year asking every musician in the family what the hell a "rising third" is supposed to be). Nobody begrudges him this, he does his part to keep classical music alive, as does the gamer who downloads Holst's Mars to put on top of his Call of Duty frag videos. Symphonic music really is the most texturally, rhythmically and harmonically complex music there is, and I'd argue that anyone can appreciate it.

Listening to the top Yasushi Akutagawa selection on youtube (Trinità Sinfonica), not being familiar with his body of work, I can think of a few things you might appreciate. Strauss's Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks is a fairly obvious one, as is Holst's Mercury (though short, at only 4 minutes). You'd probably also enjoy John Adams's Chairman Dances.

I think you might also get something out of Respighi's Roma series of tone poems, especially Pines of Rome, and maybe Fountains, as well as Copland's Outdoor Overture, at the very least.

EDIT: For my money, I find Brahms 1 to be the most cathartic motivational orchestral piece I've ever heard, but many others disagree.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 5, 2014

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
You know... I've never been in the school of "Only Russians are allowed to conduct Russians".

But I'll be damned if Mravinsky doesn't knock it out of the park on this recording of Tchaik 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPpaJML_EP8

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Artificial Beats posted:

Just found out about a quirky little concerto composed by Andy Akiho, who is starting to become a recognizable name in the percussion community.

The work is called Ricochet and it is a concerto for "ping pong, violin, and percussion." Full score and parts can be purchased from his website.

No, I am not making this poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6RwAhUiApA

drat, I was going to buy it for my orchestra and anonymously donate it to see what happened, but it's $500, and the parts are just rental copies that have to be returned, so it's too expensive for a joke.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEf6oYgAWSE

I'm going to be entirely honest that I don't really *get* this piece, musically, but the technical bits of what the trombonist has to do here are fascinating.

For one thing, in several movements, there's notes where he's forced to activate and inactivate his F-attachment while simultaneously manipulating a plunger and moving the slide, necessitating the use of a bit of string tied to the trigger which he has to yank on, from an imperfect angle, at extremely precise times. Moreover, in addition to vocal multiphonics (singing one note while playing another), he's manipulating his embouchure to create a controlled double buzz during a lot of the crunchier, for lack of a better word, double-stop sections, and the piece is hard enough just from the range, rhythms, dynamics and microtonality.

I'm impressed despite myself.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The trombone Berio Sequenza is typically played in full clown regalia.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 9, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

C-Euro posted:

E: Is there any way to get the forums to not parse pasted Youtube links as [video type="youtube"]uhihbibihbibibb stuff?

If you shove it in the middle of [ url] tags, it should work.

Like this
You can even put in timestamps
Or you could just be boring and leave the URL unobscured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEvZQE8sQM

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

david crosby posted:

I don't have spotify, but if you'll permit I can make a few suggestions. First, listen to the entirety of both of those pieces. They're good! The Schubert in particular is one of the finest works yet written.

For moar Brahms, check out his symphonies. BBC music magazine did a survey of like 100 composers recently where they asked for their top 3 symphonies, and made a "Top 20 Symphonies of all Time" list with the poll results. It's an incredibly stupid way to figure out what the 20 best symphonies of all time are, maybe also it's stupid to try to rank symphonies like they're Eagles albums, but uh hey, guess what, all four of Brahms's symphonies made the cut.

In response to your Q about Schubert, It's like oddly specific, I'm sure that you can find high strings set against pizzicato bass lots in the literature, so I'll just say listen to late Schubert, especially, since you seem to like the part of the Quintet you've heard, the last 3 string quartets.

Found a reddit discussion of this list with the contents: https://www.reddit.com/r/classicalmusic/comments/4xpiyb/bbc_music_magazines_massive_survey_of_150/

I'm surprised Mahler6 placed as "poorly" as it did. Maybe after 50 some odd performances the whole "story" behind it gets old.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Amateur orchestras can play symphonies? I thought only small ensembles can be amateur. How do you get together 70+ people on enough rehearsals to be good? Or maybe I have a wrong idea of what Amateur means in classical music.

That Schubert's theme reminds me of Smetana's Vltava for some reason.

I played in a couple of amateur orchestras before I moved, as well. Frankly, the first thing is that we don't get 70+ people on stage, but closer to 50. 10 violins, 6 violas, 8 cellos, 5 basses, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, 2 bassoons, 3 flutes.

Another one had a much smaller string section, with maybe 6 violins, 1 viola (if we were lucky that concert) 4 cellos and one bass, plus a mostly complete winds/brass section.

Really, though, symphonies, even those that are fully orchestrated (there are a lot of symphonies orchestrated for smaller or string-only ensembles, like Mozart) vary widely in difficulty level, and may or may not have difficulties in different sections or different stands on any given part. Typically, in my experience, the principal players are "not professional" but are music teachers with at least bachelors' degrees in music, and are good enough to make their way through the limited rep that the group is willing to play, which helps with a lot of the exposed solo parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQT6Gt6I8Rw

This is one average community orchestra doing Dvorak's New World- is it perfect? No, far from it. But everyone in the group had a lot of fun playing through one of the major warhorses.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Doctor Malaver posted:

So how does that work out if you miss some instruments? If the composition has a viola part different from other string instruments and you don't have violas, do you just not play it? Or does a violin play it? And if you have 3 cellos instead of 6 do they play louder to compensate?

Depending on how important it is, either we won't play it or the conductor will pick and choose the important bits and give it to another strings player. It's not just a case of "doesn't show up at the concert" as "the group never seems to have a permanent one"(the group from the video has a healthy viola section, and I'm discussing another one with whom I played). Of course, viola jokes are somewhat true and typically their parts don't stand out overmuch, so from the perspective of the average slob in the audience you're not missing much if you just tear up the part. Of course, that's also part of the reason that violists are relatively rare.

If we have 3, 6, 9 cellos they do what the conductor tells them to in rehearsal and use their best judgement to balance with each other and the other sections.

Keep this in mind- the strings are the only "scaleable" portion of an orchestra. With the exception of fifth horn, you'll never have multiple people playing the same part (they may be playing unison, but from different parts) in any of the brasses or winds. As such, they're the ones that really need to modulate their volume in relation to string density. The strings amongst themselves form a kind of choir that acts as one voice in itself (with occasional escapes by solo players here or there).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My college Beethoven course used this as the reference: https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Maynard-Solomon-ebook/dp/B007IKKKS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489691992&sr=8-1&keywords=beethoven+revised

It may have been because it was fairly new in 2004 and the professor was just grabbing the book that had most recently impressed him, but I liked it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really like the first movement of Mahler 6, myself.

And then, of course, the third movement of Mahler 1.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Strauss is the usual tone poem suggestion. Death & Transfiguration, in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Just use valve oil and a snake for now. Your tech can use muriatic acid or some other lime-dissolving chemical (I can't remember the acronym for the stuff my guy used) but I wouldn't touch it for myself.