Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I like this one by A sei voci, great performance and great recording.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

This thread is too dead. I'll just post something I like. And it fits the season!
Here's a bunch of students performing part 1 and 3 of Bachs christmas oratorio in a living room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi0ekhf6_J0

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Mederlock posted:

I don't have any experience with community orchestras and which instruments tend to have less people.

Strings. Viola, bass, cello, violin, in that order. But even violin, by far the most common of the four, is almost always in demand. And there's probably not a single amateur orchestra in the world that's not desperately looking for violas. But if you're looking for something that's relatively easy/quick to learn, strings are probably not the answer.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Why would it have anything to do with quality? If the 100th recording of a Beethoven symphony sells 10 times as much as a Reinecke symphony, it's not a tough decision. Universal is a corporation, not a non-profit for the promotion of classical music. At least DG isn't putting out cheap crap, that alone puts them near the top of classical labels.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Pierre Boulez died today at age 90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlfuf2wUok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTrrPtpCIPA

Youtube user dou40006 offers this analysis of his work: "We keep waiting that something is going to happen, but the waiting is deceptive ...nothing never happen with this music that is stuck in its inability to carry some life or take some shape, it distillates only boredom and vacuity from the first note to the last. This music is useless annoying and a failure, more it is an imposture."

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wronkos posted:

What's your opinion on Boulez, then? I've never listened to his works before, but it seems to me that a lot of composers from that era share similar melodic ideas in that there's not always a struggle and a resolution. You can't go into it expecting a grand Romantic finale.

I like Boulez. I was making fun of the youtube person because they tried to brush off the entirety of modernism in one sentence by using big boy words. I mean, that post was hilarious. "its an imposture!"

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 7, 2016

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

I am going through the 'How to Listen To, And Appreciate Great Music' Learning Company course, and I am flabbergasted at the complete lack of equivalent guidance for pieces available publically.
[...]
THIS is interesting and THIS gives context and understanding to the music we listen to - and yet there is almost none of it to be found as far as I can tell, except in the most dry and soulless musical scholarship articles. WHY do we not have this kind of information as guides on YouTube more obviously? I have had to seek this out myself after struggling through dozens of 'video of orchestra' and flat audio files, and I can only think it would allow more people to

Isn't that a $500 50 hour video course? I'm pretty sure there's nothing like it on Youtube because it's a huge amount of work that nobody with the necessary knowledge wants to just give away for the <1000 people that would actually watch it and learn from it.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

^ No, it is a $9 audible book, but I see your point to a degree, but the same could be said about any instructional video or free-to-air documentary.

Oh, it's gotten significantly cheaper then. And yes, of course that could be said about anything. And from my experience, it is true for everything. I'm not aware of any lectures of similar scope with an intellectually comparable subject that are available for free (Unless you count illegally uploaded history documentations, and even those are usually more histotainment than college lectures.)

A human heart posted:

Does this cover any 20th century stuff?
Yes. Debussy, Stravinsky, Schönberg.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I don't think this has ever been posted here and I don't know how well known it is, so let me tell you about All of Bach:
The Netherlands Bach Society, in celebration of their 100 year anniversary in 2022, is performing all (known) works of J.S. Bach and putting them on this website in video form. One piece per week for 1080 weeks. All very good performances in beautiful locations. All for free. Great video and audio quality too. And usually some sort of interview with background informations. It's really loving amazing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Not to interrupt Mahler-chat, but I listened to Camille Saint-Saësans Symphony No. 3 in Minor C for the first time today, and holy poo poo.

I've only tried the Kansas City Symphony on Spotify because they don't have any Chicaco Symphony performances, which has been touted as the best to me.

They do though? The Barenboim/Litaize/CSO version is on spotify. Or is it a region thing?
https://open.spotify.com/album/13scX9tl2O6rBShU2KOMhx

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Probably due to their tags being utterly useless for classical music. I usually pick what I want to listen to elsewhere and then search for conductor and composer on Spotify, e.g. "Barenboim Saint-Saëns" in this case.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Out of all of them?

Mozart - The Magic Flute, Cosi fan tutte, The Marriage of Figaro
Puccini - La bohème
Verdi - La Traviata, Nabucco, Aida
Bizet - Carmen
Rossini - Il barbiere di siviglia
Beethoven - Fidelio
Wagner - Ring der Nibelungen

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Don't die, thread.

I've been on a Monteverdi binge today, here's a music video (yes, really) of Anna Prohaska singing Lamento della ninfa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHRjvK9syQc

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yeah, listen to the Vespro della Beata Vergine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S99FCAFNgaA
(Sir John Eliot Gardiner founded his Monteverdi Choir for this work, this is a video of their 50th anniversary concert with the English Baroque Soloists in Versailles.)

And a whole bunch of his madrigals are great, he wrote 9 books of them and if you listen to them in order they're great for retracing the transition from the rennaissance to the Baroque era.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes please, more music, less weird philosphical rambling about rating composers like a pitchfork satire.

Re: mandolins I really like Avi Avital, I think he's doing a lot for the instruments popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJ0bsyIryc

He has done some baroque standards like Vivaldi and Bach, but a lot of completely different music as well, from contemporary works to eastern european folk music. Lots of cool stuff.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing right with it. When people only use music as background noise to drown out the silence there aren't really any aesthetic consequences.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

zenguitarman posted:

I just sang Mahler 2 and that cadence at the end is loving massive, Goddamn.

I'll be singing it next year, I've never been so happy to participate in a piece where I'll have to sit on stage and do nothing for 4 movements.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

For his still kind of romantic, rooted in tonality early life: Gurre-Lieder
For the abandonment of tonality: String Quartet no 2
For twelve-tone music: Two Piano Pieces op. 33

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think the overture to 'The Magic Flute' is one of the most delightful pieces of music-along with the rest of the opera-ever written and want to expand my opera listening beyond just Mozart. I really love Handel-I've been listening to the 'The Messiah' the past few nights-and someone told me once that he wrote some good operas. Any suggestions? Or just other good classical/18th century operas? Call me a philistine, but I just don't love romantic/post-Beethoven stuff so much.

Händel wrote more than 40 operas iirc. Maybe start with Giulio Cesare, that's the most famous one. Baroque opera is mostly Händel though, the only others that I can think of right now are Purcell (Dido and Anaeas) and Pergolesi (La Serva Padrona). If you want to go even earlier there's Monteverdi of course (Orfeo, Incoronazione di Poppea).

For classical you could try Gluck (Orfeo ed Euridice, Iphigénie en Tauride) or maybe Haydn? But almost all operas from the second half of the 18th century that are regularly performed are Mozart. And then there's Fidelio of course, I don't know if you know that one, but you should, it's amazing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aJHZ7LBMc

I saw Lutoslawski's 3rd symphony yesterday and it's pretty cool. Highly recommended, even to people who don't usually listen to contemporary music. And I continue to appreciate the approach of getting people to listen to modern/contemporary music by adding a piece like this to an otherwise Classical or Romantic programme (Bruckner and Chopin in this case), because this is something I wouldn't ever have made an effort to hear in a concert, but I enjoyed it very much.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

I've been listening to the local classical station during my commutes, and I've learned enough through osmosis that I can tell when the station RDS is broken if it's playing Mozart and saying it's Wagner, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Is there a good primer on how to listen to classical music?

I have only the vaguest idea about the difference between symphonies vs sonatas vs concertos (vs concertos grossos apparently?), or symphony orchestras vs chamber orchestras vs philharmonics, and I can only begin to guess at toccatas and/or fugues. Please help a hapless uncultured goon out!

English is not my native language so I can't recommend you any specific books, but I'm sure they're all fine and I don't think it matters all that much what you read. The most important thing is just listening to a bunch of music, there's really no reason to approach classical music academically, unless you want to of course. Maybe just read up a bit on the different periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern) so you can place composers in time, but other than that you can learn as you go just fine imho. If you want to learn what a symphony is, just read the Wikipedia article and then listen to a bunch of symphonies.

You can find a bunch of good information on reddit, of all places: https://www.reddit.com/r/classicalresources/
They have, among other things, a list of composers with their most important works, and even though lists like that are always subjective, this one is pretty good in listing the most well-known pieces of any given composer so you can learn what they're famous for.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

facepalmolive posted:

I just... don't 'get' Valentina Lisitsa, actually. She just came out of nowhere some day for me, seems like the whole internet (or at least Youtube comments) loves her, and I just don't understand why. To me, she epitomizes roboticness while playing a million miles a minute. TBH I even like many 'hobbyist' classical pianists' renditions more than most of hers. :(

Because she was making Youtube videos of super popular pieces at a time when there were few videos of them in decent quality.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/BRSO/status/1201098608210317312

Mariss Jansons has died. Here's a video of his Concertgebouworkest playing Mahler's 2nd symphony. It's spectacular performance of one of my favourite pieces of music, and you can see some great examples of his conducting style in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsFIv8VA7w

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Berliner Philharmoniker's Digital Concert Hall is also free for 30 days with the code BERLINPHIL.

And this magazine is collecting a list of free live streams of classical concerts:

https://van-us.atavist.com/sonic-distancing

Oh, and the Bayerische Staatsoper also has free live streams and videos now

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/news/online-schedule-until-19-april.html

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 17, 2020

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Idagio is so much better than Spotify for finding classical music, it's like Spotify isn't even trying (because it isn't). However, I feel like Idagio is still not good enough. When I tried it out, I still felt like manually finding a recording via google and then looking for that specific recording on my streaming app was the way to go.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Pierre-Laurent Aimard

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

ferroque posted:

doing an arvo part piece in orchestra next month, any suggestions so i can "get" this guy?

Get slightly inebriated or high and listen to Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi secundum Joannem on high volume

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yeah you need to actually be at the opera, Wagner doesn't work anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's pretty much the funnest think you can sing in a choir imo, if the orchestra is good. The a capella part with the solo soprano in the Libera me is so great