Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hello thread!

I am by no means a listener classical music.. but lately I've really latched onto Arvo Part - Alina. I really love the simplicity of it, and was hoping to get some recommendations of something similar? I'm having a problem really figuring out what it is that draws me to it sadly.

I went searching and found Arvo Part - In Princilo was another popular cd (album?) but after listening to it.. its not quite what I am after.

Another album I stumbled upon in Grooveshark was Ryuichi Sakamoto - 1996 which I really like. But other pieces from Ryuichi (in Grooveshark that is) do not seem to have the feel of the 1996 album. Similar issue that I have with Arvo.

Other than these 2, I have not found anything within classical music that I can sit and listen too, but I'd like to.

I think that I am looking for something with simple piano and strings backing, with out the brass sections.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thanks for those.
Fratres seems decent, I'll be giving it a few more listens.

The other pieces seemed a bit too busy.. Although Per Nørgård - Iris is quite nice. Quick question, the photo used in the video, is that just art work or does it represent something? It looks like the sheet music spiraled, but the colored lines throw me off.

Thanks for the links. After reading this thread, and starting to listen to some of the music... it seems that a lot of the enjoyment (bad word, best I can think of) of classical pieces (at least, the nuances of this interpretation vs that) comes from playing a particular interment.. being part of an orchestra at some point. Does this seem accurate at all, or maybe its just a trend here?

My normal style of listening is more in the Vein of Industrial/Electronic Music. Today, I was listening to Nine Inch Nails - The Persistence Of Loss. And I realized that I am looking for things similar to this. How would the thread judge something like this? I don't know if I would be able to tell that it was not a classical piece before NIN got a hold of it.. Am I just that uneducated in classical sty lings?

deong fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 8, 2011