Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pfirti86 posted:

Edit: Another great HS concert band song that made me a happy horn player - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzcoUDRR_7s

Thanks for the memories :) I haven't heard Alfred Reed in a LONG time. My favorite Reed piece has got to be Russian Christmas Music though. I'm a huge sucker for epic Romantic-style pieces that take a long time to build, but are so goddamn awesome when they get there. I'm looking for music that fits that bill BUT under 8 minutes. I'm a middle school music teacher and my poor 6th graders just aren't at the point where they can concentrate for 12 minutes on an instrumental piece. And once you lose that focus, the climax isn't as interesting. If I could just find a good 5-6 minute Romantic-style epic piece...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sorry - what about Eric Whitacre's religious beliefs? I wasn't aware that that was a controversy. I googled it and I still have no idea why someone would be turned off his music because of his religion.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm not much of a Brahms fan myself, but I like his German Requiem. And I love the hell out of his first symphony, but that is plainly french horn bias.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've never liked violin concertos much but I can't stop listening to Sibelius's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsbrRAgv1b4

I can't really pick out why I love it so, but it definitely has a lot to do with the really sad little motif that starts showing up in the second half of the first movement, and the trombones getting to just yell it. Just awesome.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Horns are expensive though :( I vote learn viola. You can get a decent-ish one for $500ish, and alto clef won't annoy the heck out of you like it does most music readers.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

krampster2 posted:

I wish I could have gotten a better seat but I bought the tickets a bit late and had to go with a rear choir seat :(
What's it like sitting behind the stage, does anyone know? Are the acoustics okay?

Super depends on the venue, but I would imagine if they put seats back there, it must be at least decent.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Orchestra update: Not only do they want to play all of Beethoven 5, they want me on Horn 1 :stare: Fortunately the horn part isn't super-technical, but drat what a way to get back to playing.

E: Gonna repost this awesome version of this piece conducted by Carlos Kleiber-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO3sq_xIIg

You'll be fine, that's a fun part. Make them play Brahms 1 too. How are your transposing chops? I mean, all the modern copies of works have parts transposed to F horn, but that's no fun.

Okay, I looked through the Beethoven and it does have a high Bb for like two measures, but that's the only range-y part. The rest is all in a good fun loud range, you'll be pretty tired after the first rehearsal I bet but it comes back quickly.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm looking for some classical recommendations (shocking, I know), I really want to expand my literacy of classical music, but I find a lot of it is a little to airy and polite for me (I've already written off Mozart completely for this reason (I know he was anything but polite but his music is so loving insipid)), my background has a lot of really heavy music and minor keys in it, I love swells and dramatic dynamics. Things I know I love are Vivaldi's Winter movement, Beethoven's fifth, large chunks of Carmina Burana, Toccata and Fugue in D. Basically I'm looking for the music that post-rock ripped off.

You want the Romantic period. Like, probably basically anyone in the Romantic period. See if you like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTbY1n3Iz8

edit: Also, before you totally count out Mozart, try listening to Lacrimosa, it might be your thing.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 21, 2017

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Sibelius was awesome for like 80% of it but I found the two thirds mark really hard to care about. Lacrimosa was great as well so thank you for that.

I really hate violin concertos in general but the first movement of the Sibelius is my jam, man. I think you'll probably hit that 80% figure for most symphonies in general; symphonic form calls for a change in mood in the 2nd or 3rd movements and if a piece is largely emotional and big that tends to mean it gets a little less expressive and emotional and a little more classical (classical like the time period that Mozart was around, not the whole genre). This is of course an oversimplification, but the Romantic Era was basically a rebellion against all the stuff that you don't like much in say, Mozart's music. Before the Romantic Era, it wasn't common to write formal music to elicit emotional reactions, per say. It was more about the technical beauty of the composition and the juxtaposition of creativity and adhering to strict musical forms. Things like that one Bach tocatta and Mozart's Lacrimosa are almost accidents in how much emotion they elicit, and modern performances tend to interpret them more romantically, much to the chagrin of my early music professors. In the Romantic Era and especially in the Modern Era, people started messing with the structure of music more, so you might like some modern stuff even more. Like maybe try Firebird Suite/Stravinsky next: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnsqTDY9Tw

It's a slow burn (and don't turn up the volume too much at the beginning, fair warning), but oh man it's got one of the best finales in music, period. Anyhow, since you mentioned wanting to be more literate in classical music, I just thought I'd point out that you saying "I am a great fan of the (late) Romantic Era" is a pretty good shorthand for your tastes.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

A human heart posted:

how did he get the job in the first place if he's so unqualified?

Bravado. Acting like you know what you're doing (and $$ behind it) can work wonders.

I'm a teacher too and the conducting part especially is freaking hilarious. "It was too stressful running the festival AND prepping the music" = "I am not nearly the conductor I think I am." Like Christ Appalachian Spring isn't even that hard to conduct, fuckin Copland himself wrote some poo poo with trickier pattern transitions and entrance cues. I'm betting I would sightread that score better than he did but maybe I am also not nearly the conductor I think I am, haha. (At least I didn't put on a complete mess of a festival over it!)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nah, if you strut around like you're hot stuff people just assume you can also conduct. Same thing happens with K-12 teachers and professors actually. There's a joke in here somewhere about conductors...but really it's that we should stop being tremendous douchebags so that people can't mimic us so easily, haha.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Oo I just was at a concert today and heard Dvorak 8! Great piece, super fun. You play horn, don't you? Those loud horn trills are real fun once you get em down.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Spermgod posted:

i randomly encountered this on spotify and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what compositional style it would fall into and anything else that sounds like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGpk7Fw40I

Definitely look into 20th century stuff like Schoenberg. Kind of reminds me of Webern in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

zenguitarman posted:

But also When The Foeman Bares His Steel is one of the great opera choruses, so just listen to some G&S too, like the Kevin Kline/Angela Lansbury Pirates of Penzance movie.

Actually, there's a lot of great opera in English too. The Crucible by Robert Ward is particularly riveting, especially when Judge Danforth shows up. Benjamin Britten also was a prolific composer in opera (ymmv on Peter Pears' voice though). Albert Herring is funny, Peter Grimes is dark, and A Midsummer's Night Dream is late period Britten strange and beautiful.

Is Candide a musical for the purposes of this post, because that is probably my favorite English-language opera.

Agreed that live performances are the best way to enjoy opera. Operas and baseball games, imo, must be experienced in person for full effect.

I can't remember but I think Tosca was the first opera I saw.