Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They are all excellent, but the fifteenth, Op. 132, especially the third movement is one of my very favorite pieces of music. It was written as a sort of thanksgiving after he had recovered from some illness, but it has always seemed to me like music written for a departed loved one who’d suffered from a long illness or something. To me it has this great sense of loss and sadness, but also an acceptance or solace within that loss. It moves from hauntingly sad to sort of triumphant and then back to a sadness of sorts. Sort of ‘I miss my friend horribly and hate for him to have died but I’m glad he’s not in pain anymore, but then back to I still miss him and wish he were here’ and ends sort of still a little sad. Like much of Beethoven, it makes me feel a lot of feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think the overture to 'The Magic Flute' is one of the most delightful pieces of music-along with the rest of the opera-ever written and want to expand my opera listening beyond just Mozart. I really love Handel-I've been listening to the 'The Messiah' the past few nights-and someone told me once that he wrote some good operas. Any suggestions? Or just other good classical/18th century operas? Call me a philistine, but I just don't love romantic/post-Beethoven stuff so much.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Since there's like a hundred of them, what are some of the best/your favorite Haydn symphonies? And is there a good recording/collection of all of them?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered the Adam Fischer collection and I'll work my way through. There's a good complete set of Haydn's string quartets by the Emerson String Quartet that I love

zenguitarman posted:

Not always thrilled by Haydn but I recently performed the Harmoniemesse which has some nice moments in it. Some of those fugues are pretty wicked.
I'm not sure I'd say there's a ton of depth to Haydn and I'm just a very amateur listener not a performer, but I find him very pleasant listening. I don't think he quite reaches the emotional places Beethoven goes or has the same 'oh my god that's so loving pretty I want to cry' quality that Mozart occasionally does, but I have always found Haydn's music really just pleasant and diverting and delightful. In much the same way as Handel, it was written to amuse people and I think it does that very well. I check out the Harmoniemesse!

Mederlock posted:

I absolutely adore this recording of the so-called 'London symphonies'. George Szell is one of the greats of conducting, and the Cleveland Orchestra just knocks it out of the park. I can't recommend it enough! https://open.spotify.com/album/3FoSzbNV0RAKdO2OgiLALo?si=ElNdbESsR5KlReAgipfGTw

I have a Colin Davis and the Royal Concertgebouw recording of that and love it- I'll check this out too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Goon Danton posted:

I've been listening to the local classical station during my commutes, and I've learned enough through osmosis that I can tell when the station RDS is broken if it's playing Mozart and saying it's Wagner, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Is there a good primer on how to listen to classical music?

I have only the vaguest idea about the difference between symphonies vs sonatas vs concertos (vs concertos grossos apparently?), or symphony orchestras vs chamber orchestras vs philharmonics, and I can only begin to guess at toccatas and/or fugues. Please help a hapless uncultured goon out!
This book helped me figure out some stuff. I wish there were an audiobook version with the music stuck in it so you could hear what is being talked about, but it's still helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Guid...683169761&psc=1

And there's a few more of these Leonard Bernstein videos floating around that are great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2zubHcER4

I mostly just sort of passively enjoy classical music and don't really know what theoretically/technically makes me like some of it and not like other things. I love Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Bach, and a bunch of random 18th c. Italians, but for whatever reason most of what comes after Beethoven-except Chopin and a few others-doesn't really do much for me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Today's google doodle is kind of fun:
https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-johann-sebastian-bach

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It seems to be Messiah season and gosh does it sound just as good as ever.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

zenguitarman posted:

Yeah, it's real good. I wish I was a bass so I could sing all the bass arias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLJC6p3sjM

This guy is incredible! Thank you!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Like a month late here because I forgot about this thread, but despite a huge budget and pretty decent ticket sales and donations, the Met is pretty much always in mediocre to terrible financial shape, and (like every house in NYC) very heavily union and those union employees are expensive af. Obviously I'm sympathetic to the people laid off, but I think for the continued financial viability of the met it was probably the right decision, especially since most of their patrons are old/at risk, and whenever theaters are allowed to reopen (and I imagine they will be among the very last places) I would imagine a whole lot of their usual patrons don't show up.

A friend of mine works at the Goodman in Chicago and was telling me about their trials and tribulations, and I hadn't really processed the full impact of the 'rona on live theaters/the performing arts at all. They would love to stream past performances etc. to their season ticketholders and donors, but their agreement with Actor's Equity won't let them without paying royalties they can't really afford right now to the actors, who I am sure need them just as badly. They're trying to fund-raise with no season and 2 shows they've paid for but been unable to perform (and sell tickets too), no idea what/if their season is going to be next yr and oh yeah all their donors' stock portfolios just shrunk by 25%.

It's always hard times for performing arts organizations, but it's really hard times now, so throw them some dollars for making the world a more beautiful and bearable place if you can!

...and that concludes the spring pledge drive here on WVXY, your local public radio and classical music station.

Anyway, I'm listening to Beethoven's String Quartet no. 15 and it's one of my favorite pieces of music, and here is a really great and interesting Goldberg Variations by Sokolov that you can't gt a real damned recording of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWfJR31XwU&t=8s

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There is an incredible recording of her playing something by Haydn? IIRC and it is the prettiest/saddest cello music ever, but I can't remember what it is :(

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I listened to some of Handel's operas today at work- 'Giulio Cesare' and 'Alcina'-and they were very pleasant. Any others in particular I should investigate?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been listening to some Mozart horn concertos and they are great. I could really just listen to Mozart for forever.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I accidently spent all afternoon with the Haydn trumpet concerto in E- flat on in the background and it was wonderful. I listen to NPR classical like Performance Today alot and I can occasionally get into more modern or romantic stuff, but really the 18th C. is my jam.

I love Handel, Haydn, Mozart, and to a lesser extent Bach and Beethoven, but I really haven't listened to a ton besides them, and even within their work my knowledge is definitely not broad-mostly operas, symphonies and string quartets and quintets. What else should I check out? I've listened to a bit some Italians of the same period-Locatelli, Scarlatti and Veracini I think, and I think I've really liked stuff by one of Bach's sons but I can't remember which.

Is there a good Great Courses or youtube or something on audible that's like a music history/appreciation/theory book/class/lecture I should know about, preferably with bits of the music in it? Like what makes Bach sound like Bach and Baroque and what makes Mozart sound like Mozart? It would be neat to understand why I like XYZ music so much.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for all the great recommendations-I'm checking a bunch of them out!

I also found a 180hr long, complete works of Mozart playlist on spotify and that's been my jam lately, lol.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why does spotify make trying to find classical music so difficult? Is there a better streaming thing for classical? It has lots of great recordings but makes them impossible to find because it doesn't distinguish between composer and performer

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just listen to all the pretty music and don’t really care about the plot. Mozart’s operas all have very nice music to listen to and are very accessible-the plots are mostly pretty silly anyway. Find a recording that cuts out all the spoken parts and just has the real music parts if that’s what you want to do.

Most visual recordings of performances have subtitles, and live performances sometimes even have a translation projected in English somewhere.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m listening to Beethoven’s 5th symphony for the umpteenth time but really paying attention and he is such a loving tease in the third movement. Just keeps getting sooooo close to resolving all that tension but will not let you get there. You think finally this insane coda is gonna do it but nope, ends in weird funky chord that still doesn’t take you back home.

Big thanks to whoever recommended that Robert Greenberg Great courses thing upthread! It’s really been amazing. I’m still on Mozart but having a little bit of an understanding of what a classical symphony is supposed to do has made me appreciate fir the first time how different Beethoven really is, at least by symphony #5. It’s…..definitely not classical anymore.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

No, good suggestion, along with the other ones.

Probably didn't need to clarify in this thread, but I've run into a lot of "its i saw mommy kissing Santa claus, but with an orchestra" type stuff while looking around.

And Harlem nutcracker is one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Handel’s ‘Messiah’ isn’t really Christmas music per se, but I listen to it a lot this time of year. I like the London Symphony Orchestra’s recording with Sir Colin Davis and Susan Gritton et al. I like a lot of the lessons and carols recordings from various British cathedrals/schools too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BWV posted:

I've been making way through some Handel concerto grossi and trio sonatas (playing pocket scores on keyboard ) and I'm constantly amazed how deep his bag is. And what I like about it (as opposed to Bach or Corelli even) is he really really knows when he has a killer hook so he comes back to it 2-3 times and really milks it. Plus you can sorta tell in the slower movements how he's teasing out a future aria. Good poo poo !
Handel is absolutely one of my favorite composers. He and Haydn are both in the same category for me of maybe not an original genius on the level of Bach or Mozart or Beethoven, but utterly charming and delightful. ‘Water Music’ is one of my favorite compositions ever, and he wrote some really great and under appreciated operas.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

Perhaps a dumb question:

I found a playlist of Mozart's complete works in chronological order by Kochel number and am listening to it because why not.

So far have made it to K67, and while it's all incredibly impressive from a composer who isn't even shaving yet, it's also pretty bland and undifferentiated.

Is there a relatively distinct point in the chronology where things start to get more unique and interesting, or is it just a slow build and I should shut up and enjoy the ride.
Alot of Mozart music is just pretty, but when he really gets good its just so pretty it hurts. It doesn't to me have the emotional depth that Beethoven had, and having all heard Beethoven and other more emotional composers, Mozart can definitely sound a little bland? But it's just so freakin pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BWV posted:

One thing I adore about Mozart is the way you think you know where he's going with it but then he does something wonderfully clever and elegant that you never expected but makes complete sense.

Other composers may be more moving or affecting but (to me) Mozart delights like no one else. As a result I often find myself chuckling during playing/listening. He also has this tendency to just sneak in these wonderful melodies in unexpected places like the end of a development or in a closing theme; this is especially true in the later piano concerti.

I don't know if it still holds up but Mozart's Grace by Scott Burnham really speaks to this. You can find a pdf pretty easily online.
This has kind of always been my take on Mozart too. It's just pretty but its so pretty its substantial beyond just pretty. It's sublime, it's genius, it's beautiful, it's emotional, plenty of it makes me want to cry, not from any emotion the composer has injected into the score, but because it's just so freakin pretty. I love Haydn too, and Haydn can certainly be very pretty (and funny) but he very rarely reaches transcendence in the way that Mozart does.

e: mozart is also really consistently good. I'm not super familiar with his early stuff, but pick basically any Mozart symphony and it's gonna be fantastic.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 26, 2023