Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

What browser are you using? A friend of mine was having some strange player issues with Safari on his Mac.

Firefox 3.6.15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Would anyone be interested in forming a podcast workshop group?

Like every week, everyone in the group downloads the latest podcast of someone in the group and then we all listen and write out what we liked, what we didn't, and potential ways to improve.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

reflex posted:

Like every week, everyone in the group downloads the latest podcast of someone in the group and then we all listen and write out what we liked, what we didn't, and potential ways to improve.

I like that idea. It could just simply done in the thread or a more organized effort set up on the Gooncasts wiki site. Either way is fine, this sounds like it would be pretty cool, as long as everyone who agrees to partake is open to any criticism :)

I'll go ahead and volunteer Digital Porridge for the group, and I'll take part in critiquing the show of anyone else who takes part.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

I applied there, yeah. My account is "stuffweekly," if you need to approve that.

Approved! I was out of town, sorry about that. If anyone wants to volunteer to be co-admin I'll see if it's possible to set that up.

ReverendHammer posted:

Finally made some updates to our Gooncast page, though I'm not putting up episode specific links for the new live show until we get our site page together for it.

I was wondering if anyone could watch our shows and give us some feedback. I know there's ways we can improve, but right now I only have some ideas in my head about what we could do better (especially for the not live stuff). So any commentary would be appreciated.

I watched the first half or so of the first video (I think there were two?) from the convention you guys went to in Austin. I'll watch the rest of that episode (unless that was a one-off type of show) and PM you tomorrow with some feedback that was rattling around in my head as I watched it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

krushgroove posted:

I watched the first half or so of the first video (I think there were two?) from the convention you guys went to in Austin. I'll watch the rest of that episode (unless that was a one-off type of show) and PM you tomorrow with some feedback that was rattling around in my head as I watched it.

Yeah... Vimeo had a 1GB file size limit at the time, so we had to split it into two parts. They've now removed that limit so we can upload a full 90 minute if we want.

Which does bring up a good question as far as video podcasts go: for something that's over an hour long is it better to keep it all together or is it better to split it up into 30-45 minute chunks?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

reflex posted:

Yeah, sure. I've already listened to a bunch of peoples podcasts in the thread and have rated/reviewed on itunes but mostly in a show of solidarity, not in a critique fashion. I'm down.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ReverendHammer posted:

Yeah... Vimeo had a 1GB file size limit at the time, so we had to split it into two parts. They've now removed that limit so we can upload a full 90 minute if we want.

Which does bring up a good question as far as video podcasts go: for something that's over an hour long is it better to keep it all together or is it better to split it up into 30-45 minute chunks?

I don't watch a lot of video podcasts (the only ones I used to watch were Diggnation and Totally Rad Show, which were 45 minutes each, roughly - now I just listen to the MP3 versions) but I think an hour or less for video podcasts is a good, 'commute-length' show. So maybe if you have to have it longer than that splitting it up into to 45-60 minute pieces is good.

Capm - just put in a review on your show, none show up in the iTunes program but you have plenty on the iTunes web site. Very strange!

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
So far for a podcast workshop group we have

reflex
krushgroove
The Capm

I think I'll just start a new thread or something in a week or so after more people sign up. Or we can just start with the three of us. What do you guys think?

FunkyVajjina
Feb 25, 2008

The Party's almost over!
I'm down. TheRadioIsDead

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm down. It will force me to finally listen to you guys' stuff like I've been meaning to.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I'm cool with doing some shop workin'. Since we're doing both edited and live stuff, I'm sure there's ways we can improve in both.

Speaking of Spankwagon... we have a new episode! It has partying, art, people playing with fire, music, kittens, video games, and females with awesome skills: http://spankwagon.net/2011/03/swa-artsy-fartsy-party/

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Capm - just put in a review on your show, none show up in the iTunes program but you have plenty on the iTunes web site. Very strange!

So weird. I can't see any new ones but I know Lou had a similar issue where some reviews would show up on itunes and some only on the website. I trust ya.

I'm looking for another promo to run in my episode in 2 weeks (skip week for anniversary). Anyone down for an exchange? I've run Lou's and Krushgrooves. I'm not adverse to re-running them too but not quite yet.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Capm - I ran your promo at the end of the podcast I posted today. It may have been a little loud...

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm down to participate in a podcasting workshop. I'm just sorry I didn't find this thread sooner.

I've been podcasting for about 4 years now, but it's really picked up in earnest over the past two years or so.

My longest-running show is Stand Under the Don't Tree and Riddle Me This, a video game talk show that I do with my friends (disregard the most recent episode, the studio we were guesting in hosed up our audio quality).

The one I've mentioned a couple of times in the Comedy Podcast Megathread is Those drat Ross Kids, a comedy podcast that I do with my brother.

I'd really appreciate your input and feedback on either of these projects, since they're my babies and how I spend most of my underemployed time. The idea of being part of a goon podcasting empire is really appealing. You all do great work.

Lou is correct about the Blue Snowball, that thing is magic... And the price is low enough that you can safely get a shock mount and pop filter and still have enough money left to eat.

Edit: I need to complete my gooncasts page. I think I found my project for tonight.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Capm - I ran your promo at the end of the podcast I posted today. It may have been a little loud...

Thanks man. I ended up debuting yours in a pretty weird episode so I'm planning on rerunning it in a couple of weeks. Can I ask where you work that you can do these things at work sometimes?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Its in my profile but I work at Columbia University. I have my own office and I'm in there alone for long stretches some days. My door is open so people walk by and sometimes peer in or come to pick things up which can make recording kind of a pain in the rear end. I have managed to record real paying jobs in there so it can't be all that loud. The other good thing is that no one really cares what I look at. There are probably 5 thousand computers on the net at work. Between students, professors, unprotected wifi (although they are getting rid of that soon) and unmonitored terminals people can pretty much do whatever they want. I work on a Mac because I despise Windows so I don't even have to log into the a user account. Wheee!!!

I spent all day today fighting protools to bounce that stupid episode. GRRRRRR!

I do most of my episodes at home but then I have to wait for everyone to be asleep which makes me tired and also makes me want to play video games instead of recording. At work I usually use Audacity and my Blue Snowball mic.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Its in my profile but I work at Columbia University. I have my own office and I'm in there alone for long stretches some days. My door is open so people walk by and sometimes peer in or come to pick things up which can make recording kind of a pain in the rear end. I have managed to record real paying jobs in there so it can't be all that loud. The other good thing is that no one really cares what I look at. There are probably 5 thousand computers on the net at work. Between students, professors, unprotected wifi (although they are getting rid of that soon) and unmonitored terminals people can pretty much do whatever they want. I work on a Mac because I despise Windows so I don't even have to log into the a user account. Wheee!!!

I spent all day today fighting protools to bounce that stupid episode. GRRRRRR!

I do most of my episodes at home but then I have to wait for everyone to be asleep which makes me tired and also makes me want to play video games instead of recording. At work I usually use Audacity and my Blue Snowball mic.

I used to work at a university and had similar freedom but it was when I was doing my Bunch of Dudes in a Room podcast. Man, I've got to get back into that sort of job. I wish I could do the show in my downtime at work rather than the better part of every saturday.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 16, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

For anyone interested in This American Life-esque storytelling, there is a live streaming long-form storytelling panel with Ira Glass and Remnick:

http://www.propublica.org/article/long-form-storytelling-in-a-short-attention-span-world-live

I will also get my crap together for that workshopping group for this weekend. I think going week by week starting on Sundays should be good? I'll also write out some rules of workshop.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

reflex posted:

For anyone interested in This American Life-esque storytelling, there is a live streaming long-form storytelling panel with Ira Glass and Remnick:

http://www.propublica.org/article/long-form-storytelling-in-a-short-attention-span-world-live

I will also get my crap together for that workshopping group for this weekend. I think going week by week starting on Sundays should be good? I'll also write out some rules of workshop.

I'm in. It's my anniversary this weekend so I won't listen til monday but I'm definitely down.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007
Just stumbled across this thread and would definitely be interested in joining a workshop group!

I'm moderating a new panel game-style comedy podcast called Actually Happening, and would love to get some feedback from people who don't already know the panelists personally. We just finished our first episode; you can listen/download/subscribe at https://www.itsactuallyhappening.com. (Audio quality still needs a bit of work -- recording five people in one room is always a challenge.) We're going for a vague history/current events/politics theme.

If you're not familiar with panel games (they're a British thing), think Wait Wait Don't Tell Me with a whole lot less structure and no actual score-keeping. None of us are pro comedians, but we do have an interesting array of day jobs -- the first episode cast includes an animator, journalist, comic book editor, mathematician and opera composer.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have any experience with google analytics? It is displaying I have zero visitors. What's weird is, the old analytics thing I used, Cpanel, is also displaying zero visitors.

I'm not paragon of internet popularity but I also have never had a day with zero traffic. I figure, even if no humans visit, I should have various spiders and bots trying to steal my identity. Does anyone know what's up?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

Anyone have any experience with google analytics? It is displaying I have zero visitors. What's weird is, the old analytics thing I used, Cpanel, is also displaying zero visitors.

I'm not paragon of internet popularity but I also have never had a day with zero traffic. I figure, even if no humans visit, I should have various spiders and bots trying to steal my identity. Does anyone know what's up?

Sorry, don't know anything about Google stuff (still can't figure out how to advertising on a Youtube video that's got over 250,000 views), at the moment I rely on Feedburner stats and a Wordpress plug-in to tell me how people get to the site, and what they click on.

Capm - I've also put your promo on the latest Digital Porridge episode, #20, which went live today :)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Sorry, don't know anything about Google stuff (still can't figure out how to advertising on a Youtube video that's got over 250,000 views)

1) What is the video

2) Do you have an adsense account?

I basically got an email from YouTube when my video hit a certain amount of hits. It seems kind of bizarro how they choose who to contact. I make like $20 a month from all my adsense on a good month. Not great...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

1) What is the video

2) Do you have an adsense account?

I basically got an email from YouTube when my video hit a certain amount of hits. It seems kind of bizarro how they choose who to contact. I make like $20 a month from all my adsense on a good month. Not great...

the video (nothing to do with podcasting, I'm a motorsport fan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XR7OpM2Ufk&feature=channel_video_title

I had Adsense on a previous blog, never made anything on it, and whenever I go go to Youtube there's a box there that asks if I want to sign up. When I click yes the form never shows up properly no matter what browser I use (even Google's Chrome). I'm making more of an effort tonight to see if I can link up my accounts, because this is something I want to make work with the podcast as well.

Also Lou - we recorded 3 versions of a promo for you, just have to edit them and send you the links. I'll try to do that over the weekend.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

So the podcast workshopping group as I have it now

reflex
krushgroove
The Capm
FunkyVajjina
Matt Cruea
ReverendHammer
Song For The Deaf
Fake Green Dress

I'll post a new thread sometime tomorrow or Sunday so we don't muck up general podcasting talk with super-episode-specific points. I'll also write out some "rules of workshop" stuff so the thread doesn't turn into bitter tears. We'll also probably just go in the order we signed up in because I'm too lazy to do any kind of random generator stuff. So long as that's cool with everyone.

EDIT: Here's a draft of the workshop rules. Please give me feedback.

Rule 1 — Critique the work, not the podcaster. It’s not personal.

There’s a difference between “I don’t like how you did this part. Why not try this next time?” and “Why the gently caress would you do that? Are you stupid?” Get it?

Rule 2 — Be honest

If you don’t like how someone did something, don’t tell them you did. It doesn’t matter if everyone else loves it, you don’t. Be honest. Sugar coating pacifies us, but does not allow us to improve. If you've listened to and considered the episode at hand, your opinion cannot be wrong.

Rule 3 — Try the workshop sandwich

A very cool tip I learned in school is the workshop sandwich: compliment-criticism-compliment. It makes everything less scary and hurtful while still getting the criticism out there.

eg. “The way you transitioned to this point was awesome. I might try it in my next episode. But, once you got to the interview, I noticed your questions were all yes/no questions. I find that almost forces the interviewee to just answer in one word. Consider more open-ended questions next time. And a lot of your cuts were awkward. Try looking at this youtube tutorial. But overall, you’ve improved since the last time we looked at your work. No way around it. Good job dude.”

reflex fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 19, 2011

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I like those ideas... sounds like it is geared more towards constructive criticism.

BTW, we have another live show tonight at 9PM CT. You can get to it from the Spankwagon Live link on the front page.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just created the Those drat Ross Kids page on the wiki. It was easier than I thought it would be.

One of my biggest frustrations in this podcasting thing is trying to figure out how to get new listeners. I'm confident that the content is there, and hopefully the workshops bear that out, but I am terrible at self promotion. I've considered buying a banner ad for the forums, but I'm hesitant to spend the money if it's not likely to work.

What do you guys do to get attentive ears?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Song For The Deaf posted:

I just created the Those drat Ross Kids page on the wiki. It was easier than I thought it would be.

One of my biggest frustrations in this podcasting thing is trying to figure out how to get new listeners. I'm confident that the content is there, and hopefully the workshops bear that out, but I am terrible at self promotion. I've considered buying a banner ad for the forums, but I'm hesitant to spend the money if it's not likely to work.

What do you guys do to get attentive ears?

Hopefully the Gooncasts thing will give us all some healthy cross-promotion and find new similar-minded podcasts to do promos with, share links on blogs, etc. We are planning to get a Gooncasts SA banner ad, we just need someone to come up with a logo of some sort - there are a few guys who've agreed to share the costs, it's $30 per month for an SA ad.

Twitter, Facebook, coercing friends to rate, blog SEO (at a reasonable level), etc., are all fair game I'd say. Also, constantly telling listeners to 'tell your friends'. I just started putting 'best of' parts on Youtube to hopefully get some new listeners. Not sure if that's working yet but it's just another way of getting people to click the links.

FunkyVajjina
Feb 25, 2008

The Party's almost over!
Youtube *best ofs* are a great way to get new listeners. I just haven't gotten off my lazy rear end to do so for TRID yet.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

FunkyVajjina posted:

Youtube *best ofs* are a great way to get new listeners. I just haven't gotten off my lazy rear end to do so for TRID yet.

Thats a really good idea. I should make some of those. Some of my early episodes that I made in Garageband had image streams that went along with them but it was such a pain in the rear end that eventually gave up making them. Putting together a 10 minute video of audio clips with some appropriate images doesn't sound too bad.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
FWIW, I'm only doing individual stories from my podcast, so the videos are like 1:30 to 35:30 or so - not so long that anyone might think "that's too long to listen to", hopefully just long enough to get people listening and hopefully clicking. But maybe that's just overthinking it :P

In case anyone is curious, this is what I've done so far for my podcast: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=digital+porridge&aq=f (top three results)

Also I think I was able to get the video I linked before approved for the YouTube Partnership Programme, for some reason the various links and walkthroughs on the site...just don't work very well. I had to swap back and forth between Chrome and Firefox to get it to work, submitting and re-submitting several times. Now I'm told it will take up to 2 weeks before the ads start appearing. I wish I'd had this done when I only had 100K or so views, I've got over 558K views now on that video.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Interesting. Is there a reason you move that still image slowly across the screen? Also, why not make a clickable annotation that links to your site?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was just trying out a couple of new things with Windows Movie Maker, those are the first videos I've tried to 'edit' in years :) eventually I'll start adding more pictures, maybe even video of me and Mat actually recording something.

I'm still learning how to make the annotations, I'll go in there and edit them right now after I Google how to play around with them. I thought putting in the full HTTP address would make them clickable - one less thing for a viewer to do to get to the site!

e: Actually you can only make clickable links to URLs within YouTube, so all I can do is add a note to 'see the links below' or something along those lines.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 20, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Hey I posted the workshop thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398438

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

About two weeks ago, a listener sent in the first donation I've received since I started asking for them at the beginning of the year. It was a rather sizeable sum, so I commemorated it by making her two collages, one for each show in my little "network."

I don't have a lot of listeners, but I like to treat them right.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I was loving around in iMovie and I made this. It's ok. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQnek6ENFk

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, drat, it helps to have a bunch of videos and regular viewers, for sure! You've already got plenty of views and even COMMENTS! Jealous I am.

edit: just found out the iTunes reviews are different on different sides of the pond. On the UK site I see 6 reviews for my show, and an American friend of mine told me there's 5 showing up on the US site. I can understand splitting up the reviews between different regions, but drat it makes it confusing, especially when there's different reviews showing up on the site and in the program.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 21, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Well, drat, it helps to have a bunch of videos and regular viewers, for sure! You've already got plenty of views and even COMMENTS! Jealous I am.

edit: just found out the iTunes reviews are different on different sides of the pond. On the UK site I see 6 reviews for my show, and an American friend of mine told me there's 5 showing up on the US site. I can understand splitting up the reviews between different regions, but drat it makes it confusing, especially when there's different reviews showing up on the site and in the program.

Don't be jealous. The fans of my Mac Tips only want more Mac Tips apparently. I just piggy backed it on that account because I know there are some fans of my work there. I also hit the r/Drugs subreddit and facebook. I don't expect this to be a huge traffic item!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I decided to hop on the YouTube clips bandwagon. Check these out and let me know what you think.

Bacon Assault

Facebook

Sexy Babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Song For The Deaf posted:

I decided to hop on the YouTube clips bandwagon. Check these out and let me know what you think.

Bacon Assault

Facebook

Sexy Babies

Those are pretty good clips, a nice spread to show off. I need to get cracking and do a few more myself.