Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Krushgroove, new mics sound great! I listened to episode 20, thanks for throwing in the promo!

King Lou, I've been trying to listen to some old episodes and man, you weren't kidding about having some difficulties with your hosting. Have you moved any episodes to your new host? I encountered problems with the heroin episode, the zoophilia episode and the meth episode. They either cut off earlier or would restart half way through, etc etc. I just wanted to give you a headsup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

The Capm posted:

King Lou, I've been trying to listen to some old episodes and man, you weren't kidding about having some difficulties with your hosting. Have you moved any episodes to your new host? I encountered problems with the heroin episode, the zoophilia episode and the meth episode. They either cut off earlier or would restart half way through, etc etc. I just wanted to give you a headsup.

What the gently caress... I checked and all those episodes are being hosted on the new media service. How did you download them? Did you re-download them and then they worked or what? I have a feeling I am going to end up moving the media again if these guys can't explain what the gently caress is going on. This is the 2nd complaint I've gotten. It really doesn't make any sense. According to the the stats they serve up I'm getting less traffic than I thought. So hard to tell...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 23, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I have to brag for a moment... I contacted Justin McElroy from MBMBaM with the youtube clips I made today, and he responded very favorably. One of my podcasting heroes is now subscribed to my youtube channel, so there's that.

JessRey
Dec 28, 2008
Wanted to give a shout out to King Lou's suggestion for the Blu Snoball mic. That was my first mic and I used it for a year and a half before I bought a H4n Zoom, which is what I use currently. I tend to run around to various venues, so it allows me to be really portable. Particularly good for when I do more "on the street" interviews, though those are typically done in the summer or at specific events.

My podcast has been up and running since about October 2008, covering theatre in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Usually I cover specific shows and the process that goes into their creation, but I occasionally put together roundtables on directing/writing/acting/ect. Sometimes I'll be asked to record someone else's roundtable--the most recent episode on the feed is a panel on puppetry.

Twin Cities Theater Connection

Episode #161 and #166 are recent episodes I've enjoyed and which I think are good conversations (about Dracula and Hamlet, respectively). #165 was a headache since one actor thought he needed to get right up to the mic and another spent half the time too far away, which presented its own problems during editing time and I am no master at turning audio poo poo into gold.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

A lot of people I know use Blue Snowballs, though I got a pretty good deal on a Blue Yeti recently and switched to that.

Also, I still can't make a page on the GoonCasts wikidot. : /

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

Also, I still can't make a page on the GoonCasts wikidot. : /

There aren't any applications waiting to be approved, have you signed up for a wikidot account and then applied to edit a page on the gooncasts site? There's a little bit of hoop-jumping but it just has to be done once.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh... there's a "join" button. Under the "join" page.

I am an idiot. Carry on.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

Oh... there's a "join" button. Under the "join" page.

I am an idiot. Carry on.

All idiots welcome! You've been approved, you should have an email :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

What the gently caress... I checked and all those episodes are being hosted on the new media service. How did you download them? Did you re-download them and then they worked or what? I have a feeling I am going to end up moving the media again if these guys can't explain what the gently caress is going on. This is the 2nd complaint I've gotten. It really doesn't make any sense. According to the the stats they serve up I'm getting less traffic than I thought. So hard to tell...

I downloaded them from Youtube on sunday night. I will try to get them from the site and see if it works better.

Sorry, I know technical frustrations are among the most frustratingest of frustrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

I downloaded them from Youtube on sunday night. I will try to get them from the site and see if it works better.

Sorry, I know technical frustrations are among the most frustratingest of frustrations.

Wait... YouTube? Are you sure you mean YouTube?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Wait... YouTube? Are you sure you mean YouTube?

God drat it, I'm an idiot. Itunes. My wife was talking to me about a youtube at the same time.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

God drat it, I'm an idiot. Itunes. My wife was talking to me about a youtube at the same time.

LOL. I thought so. So they are trying to download all the media again and fix poo poo. Dreamhost is apparently serving up poo poo weird. Luckily I have hardcopies of all the files. I re-uploaded the heroin episode. Slowly but surely figuring out what the gently caress they did.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Whaaaat, the host screwed up the files on their end? This just gets deeper and crazier.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So if anyone was wondering about making the podcast into a video on youtube and getting google adsense on it this is what you need to look out for. I just got this email

quote:

Dear robotlou,

Your video Lou Reads: Best of Erowid Bad Drug Trip Reports might be eligible for the YouTube Partnership Program, which allows you to make money from playbacks of your video.

Making money from your video is easy. Here's how it works: First sign into your YouTube account. Then, review and complete the steps outlined here: - LINK TO THEIR RULES -

If your video is approved, we'll start placing ads next to the video and pay you a share of the revenue as long as you meet the program requirements.

We look forward to adding your video to the YouTube Partnership Program.

Now, I lied and said I didn't have any music or photographs in the video because they will basically auto-reject it then. They may still auto-reject it but I guess I'll take my chances.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Does anyone know much about SEO? Typing in "This Canadian Life" or "this cdn life" only bring up the iTunes link on the first Google page. My homepage doesn't come up at all and I have no idea why. Does anyone know what I can do to boost up my homepage?

EDIT:

Also, I'm looking at two mixers.

Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MULTIMIX8USBFX

and a Yamaha one

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MG82CX-CA

I'm really leaning towards the Yamaha because it inputs with cable as opposed to USB 1.0. Is that even a valid argument to have or is it a negligible difference?

reflex fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 25, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've been eyeing that same Yamaha mixer, and I'd be interested to see what others think. Guitar Center routinely runs a fairly good deal on it... Same with Amazon.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

reflex posted:

Does anyone know much about SEO? Typing in "This Canadian Life" or "this cdn life" only bring up the iTunes link on the first Google page. My homepage doesn't come up at all and I have no idea why. Does anyone know what I can do to boost up my homepage?

How much control does Blogspot give you over the backend of your site? Do they offer any SEO plugins? If you have to do SEO manually, make sure that all your meta/description tags are set up properly, that your episodes are well-tagged and that your site is generating an XML sitemap for search robots to use. You can submit said sitemap to Google, and connect it to an account to monitor results via Google Webmaster Tools. It sounds like your page may not have been crawled at all yet, actually -- links to it from other places should help the robots find it if you can't do the sitemap thing.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I finally had some time to put some promos together (uploading a 3 GB file to Vimeo takes a while). A couple of them are slight updates to teasers used while waiting for the site to relaunch, while the other two use newer material. Let me know what you think.

More of what you love

Little Known Facts

Mike Tyson

Prime Time

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

I finally had some time to put some promos together (uploading a 3 GB file to Vimeo takes a while). A couple of them are slight updates to teasers used while waiting for the site to relaunch, while the other two use newer material. Let me know what you think.

More of what you love

Little Known Facts

Mike Tyson

Prime Time

If you're down for a promo exchange, I'll run one in my episode this sunday and record a customized one for your show this weekend as well. What say you?

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
The Wedge Radio Show

Wedge on Skins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCdkerG7vNw

Wedge on Where the Good Men Have Gone in 2 parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnU9fgZaK4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paPvQAt93Y4

Wedge on Dr. Phil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FV4hPicE8

Wedge's Restaurant Rant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0EIguB5erY

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I had an incredible show for this Friday! It'll be available at 8AM PST. I'd like to hear what you guys think.

http://www.wedgeradio.net/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

WedgeEC posted:

I had an incredible show for this Friday! It'll be available at 8AM PST. I'd like to hear what you guys think.

http://www.wedgeradio.net/

When I just went there to play it I got an error. It just says "error" in the player window. And downloading it have me a "Oops! Google Chrome could not find http" error

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Capm posted:

If you're down for a promo exchange, I'll run one in my episode this sunday and record a customized one for your show this weekend as well. What say you?

I dig it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

There is nothing quite like trouble shooting podcast and website poo poo to ruin a saturday morning. Woke this AM to discover that my rss feed was wrecked by someone inserting some invisible spam poo poo in my footer. I can't figure out where it is. It references all kinds of files html that don't exist in my index and on some other site. The files don't exist there either.

Because of that my itunes feed is all hosed up because this crazy text bomb is breaking my rss feed.

So... annoyed....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Holy poo poo! Can you wipe out your podcasts folder and re-upload everything? Or have the techs at your new host nuke everything so you can re-upload?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

It SHOULD all be working again. I want to go through and re-link everything again just to be sure its working and whatever. As I knew it would be, this has been a huge pain in the rear end and I'm not sure I'll even see an increase in download success at this point. For now I just need to concentrate on the next podcast and move forward. I have to say that the only reason I know these files aren't working most of the time is because of fans or people in threads who are having the issues. I would have never heard about it otherwise. Todays RSS thing was something I discovered via a facebook fan. Still, this is a giant pain in the rear end and I'm looking forward to it being over.

Now to start scouring through my list of sites to read from... There is a really great drug trip experience in TCC about a person taking Iboga and their nutso trip but I feel like I need to give drug and sex stories a rest for a minute.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

King Lou posted:

When I just went there to play it I got an error. It just says "error" in the player window. And downloading it have me a "Oops! Google Chrome could not find http" error

My friend told me the same thing happened to him earlier. I think it's fixed, but here's the MP3 link.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/274388/wedgeradioshow-274388-03-25-2011.mp3

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

I dig it.

I didn't check the links before offering to run one of these and for some reason, thought they were audio. I was thinking of just running the audio of the drink testing one, which was my favorite, but it's too long. If you ever come up with an audio promo, I'd be up for throwing it into the mix.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Capm posted:

I didn't check the links before offering to run one of these and for some reason, thought they were audio. I was thinking of just running the audio of the drink testing one, which was my favorite, but it's too long. If you ever come up with an audio promo, I'd be up for throwing it into the mix.

I did put together another promo which might be short enough to use for audio purposes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_o29Pn4cI

That was one thing I had wondered about with this thread: is most of the focus of this thread towards audio-only recordings, or are there others who might focus more on video?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ReverendHammer posted:

I did put together another promo which might be short enough to use for audio purposes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_o29Pn4cI

That was one thing I had wondered about with this thread: is most of the focus of this thread towards audio-only recordings, or are there others who might focus more on video?

I think you're the only one ITT that does a video show, have you tried looking for another thread on SA about video podcasts?

While I'm at it, I wanted to give a shout-out for a podcast done by one of my British friends and a couple more of his friends - they do an episode every 3-4 weeks and talk about recent crazy stories. It's called Logjam, as in a periodic log of news events. I do a segment on a relevant topic for a couple of minutes in every show 'from the American perspective'...which usually turns surreal somehow. It's just 30 minutes per episode and well worth a shot.

Check it out in iTunes or RSS

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I think you're the only one ITT that does a video show, have you tried looking for another thread on SA about video podcasts?

I did some looking around and the only thread that had anything to do with goon created podcasts was this one. Maybe it's time to start a video podcast thread and see if it picks up any interest?

Speaking of video podcasts, we have a new episode up: http://spankwagon.net/2011/03/swa-south-by-spankwagon-part-1/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll check out your latest episode as soon as I can.

How about some talk about Google rankings and getting new listeners (apart from coercing friends and neighbors)? What podcasting directory sites have you guys signed up for? I've signed up for a few but apart from getting the Google results page full of 'Digital Porridge' results on a search I don't think they've gotten us any listeners.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Just added this video the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T07pEPfXH48

I'm interested in doing call in shows. Granted my audience needs to grow, but eventually I'd like to be able to do that. Anybody have suggestions on getting a number and what programs are best for such a thing?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Just today, I put up the newest episode of Those drat Ross Kids, and my brother/co-host says it's the best one yet. I'm not sure if I agree with him, but I want to draw attention to it anyway.

http://www.thosedamnrosskids.com/2011/03/29/episode-21-trash-lung/

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Some fellas just trying to make each other laugh, figured they'd publish one and see if anyone gave a drat:

http://www.explosivepoo.com

Only 1 episode up right now.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I hate plugging, but I guess I wanted to plug our big '50th Episode,' which is... like a regular episode of Stuff Weekly, but it's the 50th one. We're not even sure how it got to 50 episodes, since our calendar is off and it either has not been or has been more than 50 weeks. We're... inept.

Podcast here

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

How about some talk about Google rankings and getting new listeners (apart from coercing friends and neighbors)? What podcasting directory sites have you guys signed up for? I've signed up for a few but apart from getting the Google results page full of 'Digital Porridge' results on a search I don't think they've gotten us any listeners.

This something I'd like to look into since so far word of mouth isn't working for us at the moment. We're looking at doing things like giving out stickers all the way up to sponsoring a fighting game tournament, but that doesn't really help with the online piece. I haven't really looked into iTunes (mostly because I don't use it), but does it work well for promoting video podcasts? If it does that might be a good start for us.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I've been at this for about 2 years and I have some insight to share about getting traffic.

I started out just hammering my friends (sending them links) and trying to find places to spam my podcast links. I bought a banner ad here on SA. I signed up with projectwonderful to buy traffic from high traffic sites and sell banner space on my low traffic blog. I post my podcast on reddit in a section I think will appreciate it. (atheism, wtf, ponies, etc...) I submit to Digg, stumbleupon and anywhere else I think wouldn't be a bad place to do. I also did the whole site map thing for google and try to use good keywords in my titles and so on.

The SA Banner ad is a great bargain. One thing thats annoying is that so many people banner spam like 10 banners at once so they have a greater chance of popping up. I've thought about buying a fark ad but those people seem to be such judgy jerkoffs. I never get links approved there anyway. I've also thought about buying a reddit ad from their self-serve ad thing. That one seems like it might be worth it since its cheap ($20 a day I think...) but its only one day if IIRC.

Promotionally I've given away magnets (still giving them away) I've offered voice mail recording and personalized messaging for people. I basically make a long plea for ratings and so on at the end of every podcast. I carry business cards and leave them all over the place and give them to people all the time.

I also have a facebook fan page and I post to it frequently and get interesting feedback and suggestions there.

What is amazing to me is how many of my friends don't listen to podcasts at all. They've listened to mine maybe once or twice but thats it. They'll always be like "Oh yeah, I fell behind...." There is only so much you can do. I mean if you could get a famous person to mention your podcast on their podcast or something that would probably be the best. I mean imagine if you could get Patton Oswalt to tweet about your podcast? Your server would get shut down!

Thats all for now!

New Lou Reads is up.

http://loureads.com/2011/03/31/lou-reads-a-forum-for-adults-who-love-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic/

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

That's the thing: we're struggling to find a portion of an audience base that is incredibly small. I had a friend who was into my old podcast who, at one point, said to me, "How the hell is anyone supposed to listen to this? It's an HOUR long!"

I was just dumbfounded. I listened to multiple hour plus shows a week. It's sort of a life style that comes with lots of walking/busing/driving/chores/mind numbing work. If you don't have a life that fits podcast listening, you likely don't listen to them.

They also require more active listening than something like NPR or talk radio. You can't really listen to a podcast and just wait for your ears to perk up.

(in song) It's a hard knock life...for us.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BTW peeps... if you're not spending your Friday night listening to podcasts, we're doing another live show tonight at 9PM CT. It's our gently caress April Fools day episode!