Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

I like it. It'll be on the Season 2 version of my website in a few weeks.

Any one want to take the initiative on the banner ad? I am willing to put some money down and maybe do the administrative part of signing up for it. What I can't do is an animated, catchy image and I don't want to come up with something funny on my own.

I'm ready to put some money towards a banner ad. Someone has already paid for their own, I forget who but that's alright. I think Lou and a couple of other folks said they'd be willing to pitch in too, so the cost per 'cast will be pretty low really. I think we could get 2 months of ads for pretty cheap if everyone chips in.

Is everyone who's put their info on the Gooncasts.com site happy with the front page (apart from the current lack of a logo)? We can pretty it up if needed, maybe with individual logos for each show on the front page. I'll check the front page and make there there are no dead links or whatever.

Fake Green Dress - can you do a squarish one that will fit in with a sidebar style web site design? Twitter, Facebook, etc., do square icons and it would be good to have the option for that for the different site styles we've all got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Didn't you buy https://www.gooncasts.com or .net or .org or something? I like the page just fine but it'd be awesome to have a .something that forwards to it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
check the link in your post :)

e: if we can get $10 from everyone that's on the Gooncasts site, we can easily get maybe 3 months of regular rotation, or at least a month of double/triple rotation.

The only possible issue I see, apart from getting the cash from everyone, is keeping it fair so that everyone who has a page on the Gooncasts wiki pays a fair amount to get equal coverage from the ad...Or am I the only one concerned about this? Should the 'membership fee' for the gooncasts site be an agreement to chip in for a banner ad now and then?

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 26, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK see my last post, but I promise I won't stress very much that stuff.

King Lou has sent me some money by Paypal, anyone else who wants to chip in let's shoot for $10 per show and we'll get as many months as we can. Now that money is moving around by electrons and such we need to get going on the banner ad - is anyone proficient enough with animated GIFs to make something half-decent? Please post here!

Any cash can go to frank.digitalporridge at gmail.com, if you'd like to pay the transfer fees yourself that would be awesome, any extra would be hugely welcome and just get us longer coverage. I'm told by Lou we can't all expect floods of new listeners but it's all for the podcasting good :)

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Is everyone who's put their info on the Gooncasts.com site happy with the front page (apart from the current lack of a logo)? We can pretty it up if needed, maybe with individual logos for each show on the front page. I'll check the front page and make there there are no dead links or whatever.

How flexible is the site layout software? It would be good to redo the homepage so it's more directed at people who are browsing for new podcasts than for people setting up the site. I'm experienced with designing for Wordpress, but I ought to be able to squash things into shape via Wikidot too. There are 8-10 podcasts listed at the moment, so a grid of small logo images would look good -- we can use everyone's iTunes/RSS images, usually 144x144px. It might also be good to move the signup instructions to a separate page, and just have a link to them.

krushgroove posted:

Fake Green Dress - can you do a squarish one that will fit in with a sidebar style web site design? Twitter, Facebook, etc., do square icons and it would be good to have the option for that for the different site styles we've all got.

I can definitely give you a squarish version of the logo, but I'm not sure exactly the sort of thing you mean -- can you give me an example? I've seen a pretty wide range of sidebar widgets and icons.

Also, I can do banner ad design, and chip in toward that, but I have no idea what kind of content people want in the ad, and no witty ideas of my own to offer.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm making the most of my holiday time and overhauling the front page, adding a gooncaster page (which was on the front page, to explain how to sign up and what to put on your page) plus a 'what is podcasting' page so people new to podcasting know how to subscribe and what to do. I'll look into adding the various logos to the front page in a bit.

As for the square Gooncasts icon, maybe it's not possible with the layout you have for the logo you made, which isn't a big deal. Can you make smaller versions, though, like 200px & 150px sizes?

For the banner ad, I was thinking a zoom-in of the logo you made, then a fade-out, then text that appears in different areas of the banner saying 'comedy' 'gamer' etc., basically the different subjects of the different gooncasts...then end with the logo and next to it some text saying 'Podcasts for the Discerning Goon' or something like that. It's hard to describe in words an animated banner ad but hopefully that makes sense.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm making the most of my holiday time and overhauling the front page, adding a gooncaster page (which was on the front page, to explain how to sign up and what to put on your page) plus a 'what is podcasting' page so people new to podcasting know how to subscribe and what to do. I'll look into adding the various logos to the front page in a bit.

As for the square Gooncasts icon, maybe it's not possible with the layout you have for the logo you made, which isn't a big deal. Can you make smaller versions, though, like 200px & 150px sizes?

For the banner ad, I was thinking a zoom-in of the logo you made, then a fade-out, then text that appears in different areas of the banner saying 'comedy' 'gamer' etc., basically the different subjects of the different gooncasts...then end with the logo and next to it some text saying 'Podcasts for the Discerning Goon' or something like that. It's hard to describe in words an animated banner ad but hopefully that makes sense.

Site's looking a ton better already!

Here's a possibility for a square sidebar logo, with and without a show-promo image:

I'm not 100% sure what we'd use these for (advertising each other's shows?), or if this was in any way what you had in mind, but I'm liking the dark blue bars as a subtle reference to the look of the forums.

And I had a play around with Photoshop and here's my idea for a really simple banner ad. I'd need a small square logo image from everyone who wants in on the thing, as I'm just pulling stuff people posted on the site at the moment.

(If there's 8 shows, there would be two of frame 1, 4 each.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Aww yeah, I like that first square one but then I'm a sucker for simple clean designs.

I'm not against having the individual show logos in the banner ad, I'm just trying to think ahead for if/when we have a dozen or 20 shows on the Gooncasts site, it would take some effort to keep up with adding the logos and stuff. A repeatable banner ad without having to worry about new shows that are added would simple to deal with, but if you're happy to edit the banner for each new version the logo type on are fine with me.

Hopefully we'll get more input soon. (hint, hint!)

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Aww yeah, I like that first square one but then I'm a sucker for simple clean designs.

I'm not against having the individual show logos in the banner ad, I'm just trying to think ahead for if/when we have a dozen or 20 shows on the Gooncasts site, it would take some effort to keep up with adding the logos and stuff. A repeatable banner ad without having to worry about new shows that are added would simple to deal with, but if you're happy to edit the banner for each new version the logo type on are fine with me.

Hopefully we'll get more input soon. (hint, hint!)

I was thinking of the square ones for individual shows as something that people could use if they had an agreement with a particular other podcast to promote them specifically. They could also work like this, as a way to give people some branding or for the Gooncasts homepage:

And here's a not-exactly-square little site tag:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Co-branding is a great idea, especially for those of us without a 'network' of shows to work with!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's a busy week (finals and loooong term papers), which is my excuse for not contributing more to this discussion or the workshop.

However, I'll gladly pony up some cash for a banner. On the way.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I'll chip in for a banner ad. Have to make an account on the website first though!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool. Go to the site and if you can figure out how to sign up and make a page it passes the test.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Money headed your way very shortly. I'm into the branding thing, though I'll use different art than the Krang art that is up now. Maybe you could email me the header and footer of the image and I'll crop what I have in mind for it? I love this unified brand idea.

I've also mentioned the gooncasts site a few times on my show. I like the idea of running custom promos but between those I'm trying to get general gooncast awareness up.

EDIT: I gifted 20. I trust ya.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 27, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yep, we'll start pimping gooncasts.com with our next recorded episode, out next week probably.

So far I've got ca$h from King Lou, Matt Cruea and Capm - thanks guys! With what I'm putting in we could have almost 2 months of banner ads, so with a few more folks we can have 3 or 4 months easily. I think we can change the art whenever we like, too, so maybe we can take it a month with that, what do you guys think?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm going to make up a page for my video game podcast, in addition to Those drat Ross Kids, and I'll throw in $10 for each show.

Can you PM me with the details for how I should get the money to you?

Edit: I'm ridiculous and didn't read the thread thoroughly enough. Will send you the money sometime in the next couple of days.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 28, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

krushgroove posted:

Yep, we'll start pimping gooncasts.com with our next recorded episode, out next week probably.

So far I've got ca$h from King Lou, Matt Cruea and Capm - thanks guys! With what I'm putting in we could have almost 2 months of banner ads, so with a few more folks we can have 3 or 4 months easily. I think we can change the art whenever we like, too, so maybe we can take it a month with that, what do you guys think?

Just sent you $10 USD via Paypal

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got it!

Welp that's 3 months of banner ads as of right now - how about we get rolling on some sample ads and we pick one to use?

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Got it!

Welp that's 3 months of banner ads as of right now - how about we get rolling on some sample ads and we pick one to use?

Big question for the banner ad: do we want to include specific shows or not? I don't mind updating the design (or passing it to someone else) if we have to add new podcasts.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll send a question to the support email address, there's no indication on the ad buying page that they're OK with changing the graphic whenever we'd like.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

When you buy an ad thats it. No changes. There is no way for you to change the image. It's a fire and forget system.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK that settles it. I'm happy with a generic type of ad like what I posted before, or if we want to put the logos in there we can just change the ad every month, then when we run out of logos to put in just start over from the beginning again. Any votes?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Dammit, if it wasn't for Sony and their dumbfuckery with PSN I would have sent money by now. Unfortunately it will have to wait until I get a new card from the bank.

In any case, we're doing another live show tonight at 9PM CT. Come check it out: http://bambuser.com/channel/Spankwagon

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Money sent.

I'm all for a generic ad, if the one above is an indication. I know little to nothing about visual design or advertising, so I don't want to speak out of turn. If we want to do anything special, a rotation of the show names featured might be a good idea, and would be less cluttered than an onslaught of logos.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Go generic!

Just got a funny bit of positive news. I just heard that the band Battles has listened to every episode of my podcast on the tour bus. Now if I could only get them to tell all their fans at every show... or maybe just a tweet or something... Still good to know!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's fantastic, Lou. Battles is legit.

Edit: I finally decided to drop a little bit of money and upgrade my equipment. I'm picking up an M-Audio Fast Track Pro tomorrow from someone on Craigslist (he's selling it for a song, but I fully intend to test it out first).

I also put in an order for an MXL 990, which comes highly reviewed by people on YouTube. It will be a good stopgap microphone until I can afford a Rode Procaster, at which point I'll buy a second MXL 990 and have enough mics to do in-person recordings with my co-hosts.

I'm incredibly excited, since all of this should come by late this week.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 30, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'm also about to drop some bucks into a podcast rig if anyone knows anything about these items: BEHRINGER XENYX-1002B (earlier recommended in this thread) and Audio Technica AT2020s. I've priced out the set of two mics, pop screens, mixer, and more cables than I really need at $420+shipping.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The AT2020 comes highly recommended by some friends of mine. It was also featured prominently as an entry level condenser on Dan Benjamin's podcasting gear guide at Hivelogic a few years back. (Link to the past).

The only reason I went with the 990 is because it's comparable in price and quality, and comes with a shock mount... Which is important to me, because I'm careless and also very sensitive to low frequency rumbles caused by my jittery-rear end legs.

If you're rolling with AT2020s, it might be worth it to check out this bundle (http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=AT2020-M20PKG) because it nets you a pretty-much-free set of decent headphones.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

The AT2020 comes highly recommended by some friends of mine. It was also featured prominently as an entry level condenser on Dan Benjamin's podcasting gear guide at Hivelogic a few years back. (Link to the past).

The only reason I went with the 990 is because it's comparable in price and quality, and comes with a shock mount... Which is important to me, because I'm careless and also very sensitive to low frequency rumbles caused by my jittery-rear end legs.

If you're rolling with AT2020s, it might be worth it to check out this bundle (http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=AT2020-M20PKG) because it nets you a pretty-much-free set of decent headphones.

Those are the ones in my cart. The only thing I'm worried about is having to sit forward into a mic instead of having a headset or something I can handle. I don't know how hard it will be to quickly brief podcast guests on mic technique.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Give them five minutes with the mic and a pair of headphones to monitor. Have them move around and see what sounds best, and associate that with their posture. That works for me when I'm recording people at my job. Let them know what sounds best, and work on some kind of non-verbal hand gestures to let them know to get closer-to or further-from the mic.

In my humble opinion, headsets encourage laziness with posture, leading to mushy enunciation and breath support when they slouch. Geting your buddies onto a stationary microphone and teaching them basic mic technique will likely do wonders.

(I say this as somebody who naturally moves all over the place when talking)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have two podcasts :)

Role Playing Public Radio: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/
RPPR Actual Play: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I have two podcasts :)

Role Playing Public Radio: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/
RPPR Actual Play: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/

Oh hey, I've listened to the actual play cast before. I don't think I stuck with it, ultimately, but I have heard it. I'll have to revisit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've got close to $100 for the banner ad, so we need to get moving on deciding what to run...

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I like the feel of what Fake Green Dress put forward. The "Entertainment you can trust, from people you probably shouldn't" tagline is especially good.

I'm not sure how I feel about having a bunch of different logos in the banner, though. If we could cycle through show names, that would be cleaner and more consistent.

Or we could do like most other goon organizations do and just slap some big-ol' cleavage up there.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Hey checking back in. One of my co-hosts decided to move further away but he is now committed to making the drive so our podcast will continue after a two month hiatus. I'm excited about how well this thread is turning out. I would also like to get in on the podcast review in the other thread, my exams will be done this week so I can start reviewing everyone else's podcasts. I'll run by the bank on Monday and chip in $10 for the ad as well.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

The Capm posted:

Oh hey, I've listened to the actual play cast before. I don't think I stuck with it, ultimately, but I have heard it. I'll have to revisit.

Hey cool! I've separated the episodes by genre and game system so you can just browse your favorites and ignore the others. A lot of people dug this CoC one http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2011/02/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-bryson-springs/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool - if you've chipped in but haven't created or updated their gooncasts.com wiki page in a while...make sure you do this! Otherwise you miss out on the potential/hopeful/desperate click-o-rama that will pour forth once the ad goes live.

I really like the tagline from Fake Green Dress too.

We could go a bit goony with something like (each line being each 'frame' of the GIF):
Free money... Easy sex... Hours of enjoyment...
You are guaranteed one of these things by clicking here
Gooncasts.com - Podcasts from goons
Entertainment you can trust, from people you probably shouldn't

IMO logos would be graphically messy, as well as tedious to update, but I'll go with the majority. We could also have a second banner in a totally different style ready to go for month 2, and swap back and forth to change things up (look at the banner ads for Pillowpants' finance service, he's got a bunch of different ones).

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Cool - if you've chipped in but haven't created or updated their gooncasts.com wiki page in a while...make sure you do this! Otherwise you miss out on the potential/hopeful/desperate click-o-rama that will pour forth once the ad goes live.

I really like the tagline from Fake Green Dress too.

We could go a bit goony with something like (each line being each 'frame' of the GIF):
Free money... Easy sex... Hours of enjoyment...
You are guaranteed one of these things by clicking here
Gooncasts.com - Podcasts from goons
Entertainment you can trust, from people you probably shouldn't

IMO logos would be graphically messy, as well as tedious to update, but I'll go with the majority. We could also have a second banner in a totally different style ready to go for month 2, and swap back and forth to change things up (look at the banner ads for Pillowpants' finance service, he's got a bunch of different ones).
Just gifted you $12. If there is anyway you can update the website to let the user Killfast37 edit pages would be great so I can add Serious Business with Successful People a page before the ad goes live.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
Hey guys,

The History of The World has a new episode out
http://www.jamescolley.net

I'd love to get some feedback on it - and the series in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The brothers from My Brother My Brother and Me just mentioned me and my shows at the end of their most recent episode.

This makes me feel really, really good.