Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm down to participate in a podcasting workshop. I'm just sorry I didn't find this thread sooner.

I've been podcasting for about 4 years now, but it's really picked up in earnest over the past two years or so.

My longest-running show is Stand Under the Don't Tree and Riddle Me This, a video game talk show that I do with my friends (disregard the most recent episode, the studio we were guesting in hosed up our audio quality).

The one I've mentioned a couple of times in the Comedy Podcast Megathread is Those drat Ross Kids, a comedy podcast that I do with my brother.

I'd really appreciate your input and feedback on either of these projects, since they're my babies and how I spend most of my underemployed time. The idea of being part of a goon podcasting empire is really appealing. You all do great work.

Lou is correct about the Blue Snowball, that thing is magic... And the price is low enough that you can safely get a shock mount and pop filter and still have enough money left to eat.

Edit: I need to complete my gooncasts page. I think I found my project for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just created the Those drat Ross Kids page on the wiki. It was easier than I thought it would be.

One of my biggest frustrations in this podcasting thing is trying to figure out how to get new listeners. I'm confident that the content is there, and hopefully the workshops bear that out, but I am terrible at self promotion. I've considered buying a banner ad for the forums, but I'm hesitant to spend the money if it's not likely to work.

What do you guys do to get attentive ears?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

About two weeks ago, a listener sent in the first donation I've received since I started asking for them at the beginning of the year. It was a rather sizeable sum, so I commemorated it by making her two collages, one for each show in my little "network."

I don't have a lot of listeners, but I like to treat them right.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I decided to hop on the YouTube clips bandwagon. Check these out and let me know what you think.

Bacon Assault

Facebook

Sexy Babies

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I have to brag for a moment... I contacted Justin McElroy from MBMBaM with the youtube clips I made today, and he responded very favorably. One of my podcasting heroes is now subscribed to my youtube channel, so there's that.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've been eyeing that same Yamaha mixer, and I'd be interested to see what others think. Guitar Center routinely runs a fairly good deal on it... Same with Amazon.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Just today, I put up the newest episode of Those drat Ross Kids, and my brother/co-host says it's the best one yet. I'm not sure if I agree with him, but I want to draw attention to it anyway.

http://www.thosedamnrosskids.com/2011/03/29/episode-21-trash-lung/

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The only blessing about my underemployed lifestyle (seriously, just TRY to get a full time media gig) is that I can sustain two weekly podcasts.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's something that I'm always arguing with my brother about. He wants Those drat Ross Kids to be more topical, because he's not comfortable talking about himself. I'd rather it be more abstract and personal, because that seems more timeless. We've moved a bit more toward topical stuff recently, and the audience has responded well, but I'm really worried that we're selling out something that made the early episodes great.

That said, I'm really proud of our audio quality, and I'm comfortable that we've reached a point we can be proud of there.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just put my podcasts on my resume, since they're a part time job now, time-wise (if not income-wise). Let's see if that changes anything in my job search.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

What kind of mixer is that? Just curious, because it seems like my gear wish list changes and grows every day.

I've decided to start saving up for a Heil PR-40. God help me.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm going to make up a page for my video game podcast, in addition to Those drat Ross Kids, and I'll throw in $10 for each show.

Can you PM me with the details for how I should get the money to you?

Edit: I'm ridiculous and didn't read the thread thoroughly enough. Will send you the money sometime in the next couple of days.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 28, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Money sent.

I'm all for a generic ad, if the one above is an indication. I know little to nothing about visual design or advertising, so I don't want to speak out of turn. If we want to do anything special, a rotation of the show names featured might be a good idea, and would be less cluttered than an onslaught of logos.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's fantastic, Lou. Battles is legit.

Edit: I finally decided to drop a little bit of money and upgrade my equipment. I'm picking up an M-Audio Fast Track Pro tomorrow from someone on Craigslist (he's selling it for a song, but I fully intend to test it out first).

I also put in an order for an MXL 990, which comes highly reviewed by people on YouTube. It will be a good stopgap microphone until I can afford a Rode Procaster, at which point I'll buy a second MXL 990 and have enough mics to do in-person recordings with my co-hosts.

I'm incredibly excited, since all of this should come by late this week.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 30, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The AT2020 comes highly recommended by some friends of mine. It was also featured prominently as an entry level condenser on Dan Benjamin's podcasting gear guide at Hivelogic a few years back. (Link to the past).

The only reason I went with the 990 is because it's comparable in price and quality, and comes with a shock mount... Which is important to me, because I'm careless and also very sensitive to low frequency rumbles caused by my jittery-rear end legs.

If you're rolling with AT2020s, it might be worth it to check out this bundle (http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=AT2020-M20PKG) because it nets you a pretty-much-free set of decent headphones.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Give them five minutes with the mic and a pair of headphones to monitor. Have them move around and see what sounds best, and associate that with their posture. That works for me when I'm recording people at my job. Let them know what sounds best, and work on some kind of non-verbal hand gestures to let them know to get closer-to or further-from the mic.

In my humble opinion, headsets encourage laziness with posture, leading to mushy enunciation and breath support when they slouch. Geting your buddies onto a stationary microphone and teaching them basic mic technique will likely do wonders.

(I say this as somebody who naturally moves all over the place when talking)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I like the feel of what Fake Green Dress put forward. The "Entertainment you can trust, from people you probably shouldn't" tagline is especially good.

I'm not sure how I feel about having a bunch of different logos in the banner, though. If we could cycle through show names, that would be cleaner and more consistent.

Or we could do like most other goon organizations do and just slap some big-ol' cleavage up there.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The brothers from My Brother My Brother and Me just mentioned me and my shows at the end of their most recent episode.

This makes me feel really, really good.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

WedgeEC posted:

Been working hard on my show and is wondering if anyone had advice to getting the name out there. I'm doing a daily 2 hour podcast.

ALSO, I would love to get on the gooncast site, but making a wiki is annoying as hell.

Two hours daily? Christ on a bike.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The ad looks good, Fake Green Dress.

I got some new donations, and promptly turned them into one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SZVZ74

It can't get here soon enough.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's surprising, given the quality of your work and how many people rave about it.

By the way, Lou, your Cum on Food episode inspired a discussion on this week's Those drat Ross Kids (http://www.thosedamnrosskids.com/2011/05/31/episode-29-30ft-high-club/). The salient part of the discussion stretches from 15:30-17:30, but it leads into a news story about someone putting menstrual blood into their boss's food, and a quiz about culture-bound psychological disorders.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If it makes you feel better, the majority of my audience is made up of people that I (or my co-hosts) know personally in some way. The donations feel somewhat like charity, but I know that they listen on the reg so it's not out of nowhere.

Secret to making money off of a podcast: Crassly beg your friends for money.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

My boom stand arrived today, and I couldn't be happier with it.

And, why not, here's a pic of the "studio."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Your show is a regular highlight of my week, Capm.

I've decided to consolidate my podcasts into one single site, which gives me the ability to add more shows and make it a bonafide network down the line.

It's all happening at duckfeed.tv *Mentos smile*

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 14, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's great, Capm. I've been posting my stuff on Reddit, but I don't think that's quite how to ride the wave.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The new episode of Those drat Ross Kids just went up. It's... Weird.

http://duckfeed.tv/tdrk/33/

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Tips: Listen to podcasts, a lot. Don't be afraid to suck, and don't get discouraged if it's only your friends who listen for a while. Be ready to keep up a semi-regular release schedule, and be ready to do the work.

Equipment: I'm not sure what your recording logistics are. If you're both on Skype, you could probably get away with a couple of USB headsets.

I like Logic for editing my files, but that's expensive. If you have a Mac, Garageband will work just fine for a long time. If you're on Windows, you might want to try Audacity. It's not great, but neither are many of the paid apps you'll find (IMO).

If you want to both record in the same room, you don't have much choice other than to buy an interface (like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro) and a couple of mics. This is a better, more expandable solution (you're not stuck with those mics forever), but also quite expensive.

As for equipment, Dan Benjamin will never steer you wrong. http://hivelogic.com/articles/podcasting-equipment-software-guide-2011/

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The nice thing about the Ruthless Editing Habit is that you eventually learn about the mistakes you make. Verbal tics, annoying/inappropriate laughter, conversational train wrecks, etc. After that happens, you get a better ear for getting it right the first time.

I used to spend hours editing my podcasts down, but I feel that we're to a point where I don't have to take out every breath or constantly pare down the conversation. Used to be I'd only use half of what we took in. Now I set a timer while we're recording, stop us when we reach that time, and there's only about 15 minutes of variance.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Thanks, Lou. I'll be putting both of mine up for consideration.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I decided to make myself honest, and contact a band to get rights to a theme song for Those drat Ross Kids. This is mostly motivated by the reddit talk channel.

I wrote a band called the Diablo Swing Orchestra and asked permission to use the song Balrog Boogie. The song is Creative Commons licensed, but they exclude derivative works. Here's hoping I hear back from them.

If successful, I'm going to go back into old episodes and re-export them with the new theme music. lovely, but more sustainable in the long run.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

You can do 29, 59, 89, or 119. This kind of thing must be a scheduling nightmare, for whoever is putting it together. It's a little discouraging, since one of my favorite things about podcasting (versus being on the air somewhere) is that you can let stuff breathe.

This isn't an issue for TDRK, but my video game show varies wildly from episode to episode.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Apparently Apple silently murdered the ping feature of the iTunes store. Used to be I could click a little link and force the iTunes store to list the most recent episode. Now, all of my links just redirect to the web interface.

This really, really sucks, since iTunes only checks the feeds once per day, and my show that ostensibly releases every Friday will now come out Whenever The Hell iTunes Thinks it Should. iTunes is where the majority of my listeners come from, so this is bumming me hard.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I made an entreaty to all of the Don't Tree Riddle listeners to subscribe to Dead Idea Valhalla when we read your question response last night.

I need to crawl back through the thread to get the Gooncasts banner ads to put up on Duckfeed.tv.

Also: Some volunteers at the radio station I work at have been producing a huge comedy radio serial, and I agreed to distribute it on my site, as part of my own network. It's very hokey, but I love radio dramas and it could be a way to get more listeners. The episodes should start showing up next week.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Snowball is great, but you might want to get different stand if you go that direction. Getting it close to your mouth is a difficult proposition.

My brother recently upgraded to a Samson Meteor and it looks/sounds great. Also, it has a headphone jack built in for monitoring, which is very important.

With any condenser microphone, pop filters are a must. Don't get stingy, your mic technique won't be good enough to go without.

Audition is a great program, and I wait with bated breath for the Mac version. It's what I use at work. If you're using a Mac, I can't say enough good things about Logic Express. It's cheap (comparatively) and the interface really makes sense to me. Its exporting features aren't as robust as a full version of Audition, but I don't need to spit out ogg vorbis files.

Edit: Correctly identified the program "Audition."

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 23, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Unfortunately I think the line in squashes the audio into one track, and only expensive firewire (or eventually thunderbolt) mixers will allow for multitrack recording. This is per my understanding of the hardware, since your mixer's line out will output one signal, not two.

You can potentially try panning one mic to the right, and the other to the left, and try to finagle Garage Band (or some other software) into recording it as a stereo track. This will require the right kind of cable (balanced for stereo) and a mixer that does that kind of thing.

Once you've recorded the stereo track, you can break it up in Garage Band. Pan the track left, export, pan the track right, export, then convert the files to mono using Switch or MPEG Streamclip, then import them as individual tracks. This is what I do with my Skype audio, since Audio Hijack Pro records to a stereo track with outgoing on the left, and incoming on the right.

This is the one big reason why multi-input interfaces like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro/Ultra are a big deal, since any digital audio editing program will recognize the individual inputs as a single track.

Let me know if any of that helps. It's a kludge, but it has the best possibility of working out for you (out of anything I know).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Consider hosting your media files somewhere other than Tumblr itself. Free blogging services aren't known for their abundant storage.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The red line is the playhead, and the two views are out of sync. You can force them to catch up with each other by clicking the small button to the right of the top canvas's scroll bar (it's dark, but it looks like two triangles that are pointing at each other. Unfortunately, there's no keyboard shortcut for this in GB.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm the opposite. I love editing, and it's the prep that feels like a slog for me. Recording and hosting are both fun, though.

I've had to force myself to get better at getting things right the first time, since I would find myself wanting to take out every breath and pause. Left to my own devices, I'd keep polishing turds and not ship a single episode. My enjoyment of editing really allowed it to become a crutch.

The turnaround time on any given episode has gotten consistent enough that I can hold myself to a fairly tight schedule.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Try getting a little off-axis. If you're right on top of the Snowball and it's pointed directly into your word-cavity, address it slightly from the side. You don't want it to be rotated more than 45 degrees, otherwise you'll be talking right past the pickup pattern.

Also, drinking a beverage helps keep your mouth wet. A dry mouth will have lots of mucky saliva that will make you sound like a Lovecraftian horror. Coffee will make this worse, but water or beer work best for me (keeping in mind that beer will make you belchy). Anything with ice in it will be too noisy, unless you're using a plastic cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Capm posted:

Song For the Deaf, the latest Those drat Ross Kids is excellent.

Thanks, Capm. I'm really proud of it. Your latest Macy Gray stuff killed me.