Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
So, The Capm and I decided to collaborate on a project, and the result of that unholy union is Watch Out for Fireballs!, which is a twice-monthly retro games podcast. For each episode, we pick a game and invite the audience to play along. Our first show was about Mega Man X, and it just went up today.

Our next show is going to be about MYST, and you're more than welcome to play along. Our hook is that the best commenter each week wins a copy of the next episode's game, which is pretty neat.

Here's the requisite link soup.

Site
iTunes
Facebook

We're really gunning to get into the New and Noteworthy section of the Games and Hobbies page on iTunes, so any stars you can throw our way would help out. Also, feedback is nice.

End shameless self promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It would be good if we created a how-to thread in RGD to help get people started, as this question comes up fairly often in this thread. There are very few good resources out there, and I feel like we have enough collective experience among us to come up with something fairly definitive.

My favorite source is the Hivelogic Podcasting Equipment Guide. Dan points out a lot of expensive, high-end stuff, but also mentions several affordable mics. On that same track, the defunct 5by5 show The Mixdown is a good resource for general audio and video information. I recommend watching the video version, since some of this stuff is best-conveyed visually.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I can vouch for Audio Hijack Pro being legitimate. I've never regretted a software purchase less.

Pamela is a good solution on the Windows side, from what I understand.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Podcasts are like goldfish, they'll generally grow to the appropriate size. You're not being held to a broadcast schedule where you need to be 22 minutes to fit commercials in. What you should be more worried about is whether or not you're using the time optimally. If you're hitting hour-long show times, but don't have an hour's worth of things to say, consider cutting back.

You won't wear out your welcome if you're good. (I've listened to your show, you're good). Just be diligent, and always be asking "how could I make this leaner and meaner?'.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

For Those drat Ross Kids, my brother an I decided that, instead of recording once a week to make a 75-minute long podcast, we'd instead meet every other week and record two 45-minute shows.

It's really helped us out, since meeting every other week feels a lot less like a chore, and reduces burnout.

So, I'm an advocate of that strategy.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I need to brag about My New Thing.

http://imgur.com/Mab9v

Heil PR-40.

Edit: For some reason it's upside down. I don't know why.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 29, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The days that I release my podcasts are determined by when it's most convenient to record and edit them. I record Those drat Ross Kids on Sunday nights, and release them on Tuesdays. Don't Tree Riddle is recorded on Tuesday, and released on Friday. And Watch Out for Fireballs! is recorded on the weekend and released on Thursday, but it requires a lot of editing.

It's not really strategic at all, except that releasing stuff BY Friday is good, since downloads spike as people download stuff to listen to over the weekend.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Last month was the first month where Amazon referral kickbacks outstripped our bandwidth costs for hosting our files on S3. The way things work out, it only takes a few people actively participating with the referral code to offset the cost of the other listeners.

This only takes S3 into account. Squarespace still costs about 16bux a month, but that's the next hurdle. Breaking Even is about the best we can hope for, especially since actual sponsorship is kind of hard to get.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

$30 is really, really low. The low-cost condenser mics that I use when I'm away from my studio (read: bedroom) are MXL-990s, which are $80 on the rainforest right now. If you're looking for portable recording stuff, I don't know anything more reliable than a Shure M58, which are about $90.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Hey there former college radio podcast buddy.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Yeah, my college radio days were bleak on the feedback as well. We were an internet-only station, which didn't help matters.

Raising awareness is tough. My biggest gain was in buying banner ads on the forums. They're cheap as far as advertisement goes, and odds are good that you will find a sympathetic audience (goons are a relatively homogenous audience). Any audience of any size will have an evangelist or two in it. If you have basic social media (ugh) presence, you have a way for them to share your stuff and interact with you.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

No such animal. At one point I tried plugging a bunch of USB mice into a hub, but no dice.

This is a wall that everyone runs up against if they are growing their show. There's no way around it without buying some new equipment. Depending on how many people you're looking to mic, you can probably find an audio interface on Craigslist that will work for you.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Daryl Surat posted:

There is one bit of equipment I've always been curious about : hardware compressors/gates. Anyone use these? Do they work as I envision, which is to say that it keeps your recorded waveform roughly consistent regardless of whether you speak quietly or yell?

The dbx286s is amazing, and I'm looking to buy a lot more of them. It provides a lot of gain for whatever mic or signal you use, which keeps you from needing to use noisy gain on your interface or mixer. The Expander/Gate and compressor really help you craft the sound, too, and the built in de-esser works great as well. Can't recommend it enough.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Banner ads on SA have worked very well for me, especially early on. Make sure your design is eye catching, matches the visual branding (ugh) you've already established, and very succinctly says "We are a podcast about _______".

Analytics and page referrals probably won't spike like crazy, but we have a lot of loyal fans who have stated outright that they found us through ads for Duckfeed.tv.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 16, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Any condenser will pick up a lot of room noise. You may be better off spending more money on a Blue Yeti, which lets you change the pickup pattern and adjust the gain. Those factors combined with the ability to monitor yourself in real time will be a bigger help in the long run than a sound dampening box.

That's my opinion anyway.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

SM57s should be good at noise rejection. I don't know what your current mic technique is, but I'd say speak closer to the mic and cut the gain. That will help you isolate, since the mics won't be so hot that they pick up someone across the room.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I wasn't talking about different mic, I was pluralizing :)

It's a dynamic microphone so you want to be up on it (about 6 inches between your mouth and the mic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If you have the money and can part with it, a good microphone is worth buying. No sense wasting $60 on a Snowball if you know for sure you want or need something better.