Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just started a new podcast a few weeks ago called Dead Idea Valhalla. It's a short variety show sort of thing, 10 to 20 minutes long, weekly.

https://www.deadideavalhalla.com

Who else podcasts? It's sort of a strange pursuit and the amount of "creativity" that goes into can really vary depending on how much of the content you create. But even if you are just talking, there can be a lot of expression involved in editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Its a fun process for sure. My most technically challenging episode was the reading from the Large Penis Support Group. Normally I do reads as dry as possible. Just try to read like I'm reading the news or an opinion piece. But that one I did in the style of a stupid morning zoo DJ. It was fun but lining up all those sound effects was tedious!

I hear that. I did 3 episodes of something I called Game Genies in the Morning With Gatorboy and the Madman, a morning zoo radio show that only played video game music. The production stuff, as well as doing the "madman" voice was tough!

I'm going to check out each and every one of the podcasts in this thread. I like the idea of finding small time podcasts. It seems like things are either totally unknown or huge.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'd love a goon podcasting empire. I'm so lovely at self promotion, though I try like crazy. I've downloaded one episode for each person in this thread. Since I started back up at school I have less podcast time but I am going to check them all out. Good concepts, all.

Goons with more successful/popular podcasts than mine: any tips on getting the word out? How do you get people to listen?

EDIT: I ran into an error when trying to download Digital Porridge from itunes. Not sure if there is an issue with the RSS or not but I figured I'd give you guys a headsup to maybe check it.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 31, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ceebee posted:

I loved "season 1" of the minecraft series. The 2nd is a little iffy with all the scripted stuff and fake people (ok, some of the stuff from season 1 may be preplanned, but still). I understand it's supposed to be like a roleplaying thing but it's not as entertaining as watching you guys on the survival island or an environment where you actually need to survive and/or have a goal to accomplish.

Kind of off topic, but either way huge fan of your stuff dude.

So far I've listened to Lou Reads the Internet For You and Bloody Good Horror, both of which are great. I'm a more casual fan of horror movies but I still think BGH was really well done. Lou Reads the Internet was basically an audio Weekend Web, which is a great idea.

Well done, sirs.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Killfast37 posted:

I think the podcast empire would be a good idea. Also if anyone would like to trade 20-30 second show promotions with me I would love to run one or two in each episode.

I would love to do this, the exchange and the centralized hub/website. As far as cross promotion, I have been trying to set up things like this with my friends and their specific creative projects. I don't know any other podcasters in person but I have traded promo songs (I write jingles and songs) in exchange for art and blog pimping/mentions.

I have no idea how to read my "awstats" to get an accurate reading of how many people are listening. I don't really get feedback from strangers and I feel like looking at my site traffic and downloads is undoubtedly skewed.

If anyone wants to trade promos or is willing to answer some questions about how to interpret what's actually happening with these "stats", drop me an email at deadideavalhalla@gmail.com

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I actually just got mine to fix but I can't say what I did different. I just changed the thumbnail in my rss feed.

I am bad at webdesign, as anyone who went to my site can probably attest, so my idea would just be a sort of one stop place with links to all of the goon run podcasts. I'm not saying that's a good idea, I just know it's what I'd end up doing.

BE BETTER THAN ME!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Poopinstein posted:

Glad you liked BGH!

It's good stuff. Have you guys ever done Phantasm? That movie features quite the sphere.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Poopinstein posted:

Actually, I think we did about two years back! As a matter of fact, thanks to the podcast I got to meet Reggie Bannister! (the mulleted ice cream truck driver from Phantasm)

That's pretty cool. I haven't seen the sequels but is he the guy who shows up in all of them?

Also, I listened to Serious Business with Successful People today. The two hour episode where you guys talk about Snake Island. Very funny, very good. I'm still in that stage where I can't tell anyone apart but I still liked it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'll do so when I get home. Thanks for doing this!

So, I host my own RSS feed on the site. You guys seem to use feedburner. I know feedburner is an analytics tool. If I wanted to switch to it, I'd have to switch everything over, right? Is there is a way to have feedburner track the RSS feed I keep on my site?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I still haven't gotten a chance to fill out that spreadsheet but one way I can think of to show support, and I'm doing it right now, is to rate/review on itunes the podcasts I've checked out already.

It takes 5-8 reviews to get enough ratings to display an average on itunes and I think that's a big help if anyone stumbles upon your show.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Killfast37 posted:

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. I listened to episode 10 of DIV and I'm not going to lie your podcast is strange as poo poo, but I kept listening and ended up enjoying it. Also your theme music is pretty awesome.

Kushgroove thanks for putting the goonsite into motion, I think this is a great idea. I'll chip in $$$ if we want to run some banner ads.

Thanks man. If I could do anything as a dream job, it'd probably be composing theme songs for stuff like this.

Put me down as willing to contribute some scratch to any sort of advertising.

I'm on my second pass of listening to all of the gun run podcasts, including Digital Porridge, Caustic Soda, Stuff Weekly and Soggy Cereal. I've been trying to rate/review everyone I have listened to as well. SUPPORT!!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 12, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Awesome! Can't wait to get more reviews on our iTunes page...we only have two and no matter how much I *literally* beg my friends they can't be bothered to take 2 minutes out of their lives to do a drat review. It's not like they even have to install anything, they've already got iTunes...

I have had the exact same problem, so I certainly sympathize. Just FYI, I still can't get your show on itunes. I had to go to the site and download it and then add it to itunes and when I do, it comes up as under the artist "x" :c00l:

krushgroove posted:

So the question is: Does anyone have a problem with gooncasts.com forwarding to http://editthis.info/gooncasts/Main_Page rather than being a bespoke website?

I just don't have the time and knowledge to build up something that looks slick (or even good). If someone has filled in info on the spreadsheet but doesn't add anything to the wiki, I'll fill out a basic page for the podcast but leave it at that.

Then down the road we can take donations for a banner ad. Hopefully everyone that goes on the wiki will donate! SA banner ads are $30/month

I have no problem with it and I also can't do anything better. Assuming anyone actually even looks at the thing, we'll just need to be vigilant against vandalism. It seems like there should be some sort of authentication process for users. Have you looked at http://www.wikidot.com ? I feel like that has admin rights type stuff.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'll definitely exchange promos. I need to have a moment to record one. Work and school are running me ragged.

I also can not get your podcast to play. I downloaded it from your site and can play it but I can't put it on my ipod. I don't know what the problem is. I'm going to try again when I get some time.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

The Capm - the Facebook link just goes to the facebook.com, not your show's page

I'll try to fix that facebook link. I thought I had but I guess not. It's surprisingly non intuitive to just be able to link to a page. I also have a regular facebook account and the podcast is a sort of subpage, so maybe that's the problem? Maybe you need to be logged into facebook to make it work?

I've got my promo recorded and will upload it to the wiki this week. Next week is also the week I start running promos, starting with Digital Porridge since you've done so much to get this idea off the ground.

Also, if you're going to listen to one episode of the podcast, the latest might not be the best place to start. I spent all last weekend designing buttons and stickers and poo poo so I did an all music episode because it'd be easy to edit. Until you know if you like the music I make, I'd say this weeks or just about any other episode would be a better choice.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

downfall posted:

I don't podcast as yet, but I've been working on a concept - trying to figure out how to make it work and whether or not I can get a friend or two committed. Anyway, just chiming in to say that I've checked out 75% of the podcasts in this thread, and I've enjoyed everything I've listened to thus far - and I've added several to my regular rotation. Keep up the nice work everyone!

If you listen on itunes, even if you haven't listened to mine, rate and review them! It helps!

BTW to anyone, the most recent episode of my show is a good place to start, I think.

EDIT: Hey Kushgroove, I've sent in an application to edit.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 21, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm definitely into trading promos and plan to put something for Digital Porridge into the next episode I do. I recorded one last week:

http://www.deadideavalhalla.com/Promo/30secDIVspot.mp3

which is musical.

I'm not adverse to doing custom promos but I'll have to find the time to record some. I wrote mine in a way that would fit really well into my podcast and maybe not into anyone elses but Dead Idea Valhalla is, quote, "weird as poo poo" so that might be why.

More ratings/reviews for some other casts in this thread coming this weekend. Lou, I have to say again that your podcast is fantastic. There's a rhythm to it that I really appreciate.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it sounds sort of tricky to pull off a smooth segue into anyones podcast in a show that doesn't have breaks. I'm planning on putting mine after the song in the middle but before the 2nd bit but for something like Lou Reads or for something that is a more traditional Dudes Talking podcast, unless there is a break in the middle, where would it go, no matter how it sounds?

Woffle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 25, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks again Kushgroove, for everything! I updated my page on the wiki, though i still have some work to do.

Did you ever record any pop free promos? I was sick sunday, my usual podcast day, and am doing this weeks episode tomorrow instead and I want to run a promo!

Also, to Lou, I plan on recording a custom promo for your cast tomorrow as well. If anyone wants to use the one I recorded before and don't want to use the sing songy part at the end, I think it works just fine if you cut it off right before then. If anyone wants me to record a custom one, I'll be happy to and if anyone wants to exchange, let me know. I want to run a different one every week from here on out.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, all the newest posts I look at whenever I've been there have been spam...it's a big problem with any popular forum and I don't think their forum software is any good. I signed up for extra Googleness, plus shows like Kieth and the Girl try to plug for reviews on there...we haven't gotten any I think.

RE: promos, if the loudness/popping/quality is a problem I'll try to get some new (similar) promos recorded, and I'm happy to do any customized promos for anyone posting here. Capm, I tried to PM you but you've blocked PMs, so drop me an email or something at frank.digitalporridge@gmail.com

I haven't blocked them, I just don't have platinum.

I'll send you an email. I haven't actually sat down with your promos in an editor to see if I can do something with the popping but if you are going to record new ones anyway, I figured I'd wait.

I'm mostly fine with "generic" promos just in that something like a commercial will fit in pretty well in my show. If anyone wants to record a customized one, I'd be happy to run it.

EDIT: I have rated/reviewed your show. I think you need 7 to 10 ratings to get that average so you've got to be close!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 4, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

For some reason or another, I am unable to download Spankwagon from itunes. It says to "check the URL" for every episode.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm adding the promo I did for my show for digital porridge and Lou Reads to my page right now. I'm running a digital porridge promo in my episode tomorrow.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 6, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

reflex posted:

While I'm waiting on music for my next main episode, I made a four-minute short to see what could be done in such a short time.

http://thiscdnlife.blogspot.com/2011/03/shorts-stony-plain.html

Once I get onto a regular schedule for my show, I'll be more than happy to start swapping promos. But because of school and work I release episodes so irregularly right now. I don't want to get my promos heard all the time but only pitch in once a month.

This is really cool, reflex. I like it when people do short podcasts. I like my long talky casts too but I can only listen to a couple a week. This sort of thing adds texture. Though it's obviously influenced by This American Life/Radiolab, I think there is room for amateur podcasts of that sort. Rated/reviewed.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

reflex and The Capm - just listened to both of your last shows (your last 2 shows Capm)

reflex - I liked yours a lot. The street sounds are kind of loud but maybe the stark contrast is what you were going for? The interview sounded a lot like what I hear on NPR shows and TAL like Capm said.

Capm - like the email I sent you, I liked the thing with the cat and where that went :) Thanks for doing the promo, now that we have some decent enough ideas on where to start for our promos we'll re-record them with our new, better mic and hopefully with no popping :)

I told Mat (my podcast partner) about him nearly swallowing the mic and we addressed that in our latest episode :P If anyone who commented on that is a regular listener...well I hope you enjoy the solution to the problem!

Thanks. Yeah, I try to roll with mistakes and do something neat with them in editing, if I can. I think it's a pretty different kind of show and I'm not sure it's for everyone, but hopefully I can find an audience.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm not against a goony image but I feel like that specific one is one a few different banner ads around here.

Anyone else up for a promo trade? I'll be throwing up my new episode sunday and I'm up for running something. I just need the file.

EDIT: Krushgroove, is there any update on getting the proper domain to forward to the wiki? If you search goon casts now you get this as the first few results: http://www.thegoonshow.net/cast.asp

Woffle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 10, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

reflex posted:

I listened to episode 12 and 13 and I was really blown away when you transitioned from talking to putting it to a song. I think that concept is really cool and I hope you continue to pursue that. That is single-handedly my favorite part of the podcast.

(I don't know how open you are to constructive criticism, so I'll put it in spoilers)
However, your comedy is very hit and miss. You had me chuckling out loud when you were talking about religious folks wanking it to procreation, but the rest of it kind of fell flat to me. The one thing I'm scared about is that there's no feedback when you're one guy throwing comedy out to the internet. There's no real feedback and I assume your friends are like mine and go "yeah it was great." You should look into going to some comedy open mics. They're not as scary as they seem (I do amateur stand-up) and it really makes it clear how you should be developing jokes and stuff. Plus it helps with annunciation.

Also, one thing I've noticed in my own recording is that going "mhm" during an interview is very distracting. I was really interested in the whole needle-taint story, but I was constantly being thrown out of it with the "mhm mhm"s and the interjections. Just let the dude tell his story. Trust that it's a good story. If you need to add interjections for explanations, edit them in.

You're on a good path Capm. Keep going and improving and I think you can produce a really unique and entertaining podcast. I will also review/rate on iTunes.

I'm super receptive to criticism and I appreciate the hell out of it. Thanks a lot, man. It shows you were actually paying attention.

I won't deny that the whole thing is a work in progress and that I'm trying to refine a voice, which I feel is pretty unique. I had a more traditional "What if some dudes talked?" podcast for more than a year, and while I loved it, I am consciously trying to do something different. It's funny that you bring up open mics. I was actually writing material for open mics when I got the idea to turn them into podcast rants instead. Maybe I did it in the wrong order?

Part of the problem with the comedy being hit and miss is that when I do get feedback, it is generally not consistent. Some people's favorite parts totally fall flat with other people. People do tell me when they think something doesn't work. It's just they don't agree. I know that's a problem in and of itself (good comedy should hit closer to the middle of a bell curve rather than the edges of a parabola) and I'm still working out what to do about it.

I hadn't thought of the mmhmm thing during the interview. That is good advice and I appreciate all the feedback.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

So I switched over my media to blubrry. Not 100% sold that it was the right move but I was freaking out about poo poo so I pulled the trigger. Please let me know if you guys run into any weird issues playing the podcast or downloading it.

Thanks!

DeadIdeaValhalla, I just listened to your promo that you made for Lou Reads. It's hilarious. I'm putting it in the next episode.

Fantastic. I would love to run a Lou Reads one (I've listened to about 10 episodes so far. I'm pretty into it) but for it go up this week, I'd need it tomorrow. If you want, I can write one.

EDIT: ReverendHammer, for some reason, I can't get your videos to play. I'm not sure if it's my flash blocker or browser or what, but I just get a still image and pressing play does nothing.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 13, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Try this one. or you can write whatever you like.

EDIT: I literally finished uploading this and my wife came out of the bedroom, kicked out by our restless 2 year old, and I had to stop recording for the night. Fun city living!

Fantastic. It'll go up sunday.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

What browser are you using? A friend of mine was having some strange player issues with Safari on his Mac.

Firefox 3.6.15

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

reflex posted:

Would anyone be interested in forming a podcast workshop group?

Like every week, everyone in the group downloads the latest podcast of someone in the group and then we all listen and write out what we liked, what we didn't, and potential ways to improve.

Yeah, sure. I've already listened to a bunch of peoples podcasts in the thread and have rated/reviewed on itunes but mostly in a show of solidarity, not in a critique fashion. I'm down.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Capm - just put in a review on your show, none show up in the iTunes program but you have plenty on the iTunes web site. Very strange!

So weird. I can't see any new ones but I know Lou had a similar issue where some reviews would show up on itunes and some only on the website. I trust ya.

I'm looking for another promo to run in my episode in 2 weeks (skip week for anniversary). Anyone down for an exchange? I've run Lou's and Krushgrooves. I'm not adverse to re-running them too but not quite yet.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Capm - I ran your promo at the end of the podcast I posted today. It may have been a little loud...

Thanks man. I ended up debuting yours in a pretty weird episode so I'm planning on rerunning it in a couple of weeks. Can I ask where you work that you can do these things at work sometimes?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Its in my profile but I work at Columbia University. I have my own office and I'm in there alone for long stretches some days. My door is open so people walk by and sometimes peer in or come to pick things up which can make recording kind of a pain in the rear end. I have managed to record real paying jobs in there so it can't be all that loud. The other good thing is that no one really cares what I look at. There are probably 5 thousand computers on the net at work. Between students, professors, unprotected wifi (although they are getting rid of that soon) and unmonitored terminals people can pretty much do whatever they want. I work on a Mac because I despise Windows so I don't even have to log into the a user account. Wheee!!!

I spent all day today fighting protools to bounce that stupid episode. GRRRRRR!

I do most of my episodes at home but then I have to wait for everyone to be asleep which makes me tired and also makes me want to play video games instead of recording. At work I usually use Audacity and my Blue Snowball mic.

I used to work at a university and had similar freedom but it was when I was doing my Bunch of Dudes in a Room podcast. Man, I've got to get back into that sort of job. I wish I could do the show in my downtime at work rather than the better part of every saturday.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 16, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

reflex posted:

For anyone interested in This American Life-esque storytelling, there is a live streaming long-form storytelling panel with Ira Glass and Remnick:

http://www.propublica.org/article/long-form-storytelling-in-a-short-attention-span-world-live

I will also get my crap together for that workshopping group for this weekend. I think going week by week starting on Sundays should be good? I'll also write out some rules of workshop.

I'm in. It's my anniversary this weekend so I won't listen til monday but I'm definitely down.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have any experience with google analytics? It is displaying I have zero visitors. What's weird is, the old analytics thing I used, Cpanel, is also displaying zero visitors.

I'm not paragon of internet popularity but I also have never had a day with zero traffic. I figure, even if no humans visit, I should have various spiders and bots trying to steal my identity. Does anyone know what's up?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Krushgroove, new mics sound great! I listened to episode 20, thanks for throwing in the promo!

King Lou, I've been trying to listen to some old episodes and man, you weren't kidding about having some difficulties with your hosting. Have you moved any episodes to your new host? I encountered problems with the heroin episode, the zoophilia episode and the meth episode. They either cut off earlier or would restart half way through, etc etc. I just wanted to give you a headsup.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

What the gently caress... I checked and all those episodes are being hosted on the new media service. How did you download them? Did you re-download them and then they worked or what? I have a feeling I am going to end up moving the media again if these guys can't explain what the gently caress is going on. This is the 2nd complaint I've gotten. It really doesn't make any sense. According to the the stats they serve up I'm getting less traffic than I thought. So hard to tell...

I downloaded them from Youtube on sunday night. I will try to get them from the site and see if it works better.

Sorry, I know technical frustrations are among the most frustratingest of frustrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Wait... YouTube? Are you sure you mean YouTube?

God drat it, I'm an idiot. Itunes. My wife was talking to me about a youtube at the same time.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

I finally had some time to put some promos together (uploading a 3 GB file to Vimeo takes a while). A couple of them are slight updates to teasers used while waiting for the site to relaunch, while the other two use newer material. Let me know what you think.

More of what you love

Little Known Facts

Mike Tyson

Prime Time

If you're down for a promo exchange, I'll run one in my episode this sunday and record a customized one for your show this weekend as well. What say you?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

I dig it.

I didn't check the links before offering to run one of these and for some reason, thought they were audio. I was thinking of just running the audio of the drink testing one, which was my favorite, but it's too long. If you ever come up with an audio promo, I'd be up for throwing it into the mix.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

That's the thing: we're struggling to find a portion of an audience base that is incredibly small. I had a friend who was into my old podcast who, at one point, said to me, "How the hell is anyone supposed to listen to this? It's an HOUR long!"

I was just dumbfounded. I listened to multiple hour plus shows a week. It's sort of a life style that comes with lots of walking/busing/driving/chores/mind numbing work. If you don't have a life that fits podcast listening, you likely don't listen to them.

They also require more active listening than something like NPR or talk radio. You can't really listen to a podcast and just wait for your ears to perk up.

(in song) It's a hard knock life...for us.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Christ, I envy you in a way. I'm glad I'm employed but for a while I was doing a weekly podcast and I wrote a book at the same time. My job killed that while paying my rent. It's sort of sad. WHY IS THERE NO ARTIST CLASS?