Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I came into CC just to find a podcast thread, so this is timely! I've been getting a bit active in the Favorite Comedy Podcast thread in GBS and have posted a couple times in there about the show I do with a friend.

I do a show called Digital Porridge, the basis of which is that I'm American (living in England), my friend is British, and we go back and forth about various aspects of either culture as well as catch up on what we've done lately.

We stay away from 'weird news', celebrities, reviews and that sort of thing because there are so many other podcasts out there that do the same thing, and better than we could. The show is weekly and 30-35 minutes per episode. We're recording episode #12 this week and will start recording a periodic show on the side that's about short films that we are going to start doing, sort of as a 'behind the scenes' sort of thing that will show the work in progress.

The blog with show notes is at http://www.digitalporridge.net, with direct download links and you can listen to the latest shows from the web page. You can subscribe at RSS feed and iTunes link

I'd appreciate any feedback from any goons, either by PM, posting on the blog, iTunes reviews, whatever.

I'll also post this thread in the Comedy Podcast thread because there's a few other podcasters in there.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The only thing I looked at for licensing was a site that somehow gave you blanket licensing for what seemed like as much music as you want, and you paid various amounts that depended on what type of podcast you were planning to do: music review, news, comedy, etc.

The Creative Commons has something on it that you may want to read: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide

Other results searching for 'podcast music licensing' didn't bring up anything recent, so I don't really know what to think. On the podcast I do, for intro/outro music we used royalty-free music provided on my friend's Mac, so although one listener said he's heard it used on another podcast a long time ago, it matches the tone of what we want to do. I'm not sure what shows like Uhh Yeah Dude do, they use a couple of different songs in every episode.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

I'm going to check out each and every one of the podcasts in this thread. I like the idea of finding small time podcasts. It seems like things are either totally unknown or huge.

Yeah I agree - I know podcasting is small-time compared to TV, Youtube channels, even radio but the popular podcasts are SUPER SUPER popular. Look at Keith and the Girl on Podcast Alley or any of the BBC podcasts on iTunes, and then you've got 'podcast empires' like Kevin Smith's and Adam Carolla's.

Maybe we should start a 'goon podcast empire'? :)

I'm also working my way through all the podcasts listed here so far - some really good and fun ones here!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

EDIT: I ran into an error when trying to download Digital Porridge from itunes. Not sure if there is an issue with the RSS or not but I figured I'd give you guys a headsup to maybe check it.

Thanks, my podcast pardner tells me he is getting in touch with Go Daddy to tell at them for lovely ftp uptime, and we might be changing hosts regardless. gently caress those guys! Pisses me off the problems they've given us, very sorry about that.

Regarding the goon podcast empire, I might look into registering a domain like goonpodcasts.com or something like that, not like I don't have enough to do...any ideas on how to approach this from anyone, apart from a list of podcasts from this thread? I know gently caress all about php, etc., coding but I can lay out a simple html page... With donations we could do an SA banner ad and probably get a lot more listeners.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, I'll tell my 'casting bro about them.

We've been needing to record some promo bits too, maybe we could have short promo bits on the gooncast site so anyone could download and use them in their shows. Not a bad idea to just put on my show's site, too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll look into registering gooncasts.com when I get home home from my trip, does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle the content? I'm not sure I have the time to learn phpmyadmin right now.

MrSpiffy posted:

...and for the last three weeks, I still can't figure out how to properly put the thumbnail up on iTunes, even though the RSS feed is correct.

I have read that itunes can be strange with thumbnails, and the support isn't that great, so it's basically wait and hope. You could try repinging feedburner and then itunes for a 'reset', that helped when my rss feed was acting up.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just registered http://www.gooncasts.com! (link doesn't work at the moment, but it is registered)

Hopefully someone can help me get a PHP database-type thing going, but initially the site will be a straight-up listing of goon podcasts with logos, links (blog/site/RSS/iTunes), descriptions and other simple HTML things, until I can figure out how to put in Twitter and RSS feeds and stuff like that. For now, fill in this Google Spreadsheet with your show's info and I'll put it on the site in the next week or so.

If GoDaddy continues to screw up linking their UK and US servers I'll move the Digital Porridge files and links to point to this new hosting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I added a column for user names, I forgot to put it in before, it'll probably help to figure out who's who.

As for changing to feedburner, I think it should read through your previous blog/site entries and figure out what to show on the RSS feed it outputs. I would probably suggest running Feedburner and what you have already for a couple of episodes, to make sure they match up ok before removing the original feed link.

edit: it was noted in the Comedy Podcast thread that the Gooncasts site should be a wiki-type site, that way folks can edit their own info, update logos, etc. I'm not sure how or if these types of sites can work with regularly updated Twitter feeds (maybe this isn't a necessary feature) but it will certainly make things easier if everyone maintains their own site.

If anyone has suggestions on open-source (e.g., free) Wiki software packages that are easy to set up on a Linux server let me know!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 11, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome! Can't wait to get more reviews on our iTunes page...we only have two and no matter how much I *literally* beg my friends they can't be bothered to take 2 minutes out of their lives to do a drat review. It's not like they even have to install anything, they've already got iTunes...

I'm listening to a bunch of the shows also, they're just mixed in with my other subscriptions so I get to them whenever my Android phone player gets to them.

Gooncasts.com update
So I've got the gooncasts.com domain and all, but setting up a hosted wiki is more complicated than I thought. I'd have to SSH into the server, install packages and all this poo poo...so I found a free Wiki site called editthis.info and started a wiki for Gooncasts: http://editthis.info/gooncasts/Main_Page which I can forward the domain to easily.

I suppose the main advantage of this is that it's simply domain forwarding rather than dealing with hosting, but with the wiki site anyone who does a show can edit their own info. The disadvantage is that any jackass can sign up and mess up someone's wiki page (just like wikipedia), but there are 'undo' options in each page's history so this shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately there's no way to vet who is signing up.

I've added the names of the podcasts that have been entered in the Gooncasts spreadsheet, but no other info so far. There's also a lot of podcasts mentioned ITT that aren't on the spreadsheet!

So the question is: Does anyone have a problem with gooncasts.com forwarding to http://editthis.info/gooncasts/Main_Page rather than being a bespoke website?

I just don't have the time and knowledge to build up something that looks slick (or even good). If someone has filled in info on the spreadsheet but doesn't add anything to the wiki, I'll fill out a basic page for the podcast but leave it at that.

Then down the road we can take donations for a banner ad. Hopefully everyone that goes on the wiki will donate! SA banner ads are $30/month

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 15, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

I have had the exact same problem, so I certainly sympathize. Just FYI, I still can't get your show on itunes. I had to go to the site and download it and then add it to itunes and when I do, it comes up as under the artist "x" :c00l:

I have no problem with it and I also can't do anything better. Assuming anyone actually even looks at the thing, we'll just need to be vigilant against vandalism. It seems like there should be some sort of authentication process for users. Have you looked at http://www.wikidot.com ? I feel like that has admin rights type stuff.

wikidot looks a lot easier to use, plus the whole member vetting process is good IMO. I'll make something on there and see what it's like.

Regarding the iTunes issues with Digital Porridge, in the next week or two (probably sooner) I'll be getting a .com address with hosting and running the hell away from Go Daddy. Thanks for getting to the site and downloading it though! It'd be fantastic to get a bunch of us getting feedback and reviews from each other so we can all improve stuff on our shows, or at least get some input.

e: OK, editing the initial pages of the Gooncasts wiki on wikidot.com, I'll open it up to membership hopefully later today.

e2: Didn't want to post twice in a row, but I've done the first page and a working show page for my podcast.

GOONCAST WIKI PAGE HERE: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/

I'll add wiki pages for all the shows that have completed the Gooncast spreadsheet so far - any other shows will need to be added by the goons that run/appear on the show. To add a page or edit your info you'll need to sign up to Wikidot (it's free, natch, and takes a minute and clicking a confirmation email link) and then go to the Join page of the wiki - new members have to be goons, this is just to prevent random trashing of the pages.

This is what your show's page might look like with a logo and episode links: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/digital-porridge

So. Have at it.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 16, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just recorded some promos that will hopefully be OK once they're edited, going to put them on the wiki and on the Digital Porridge blog for anyone to download and include in their shows.

Are we going to set up a promo exchange and all that?

I've also started doing iTunes reviews for the shows I've listened to so far! Lou Reads was the first one :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm editing our podcast tonight and will get a couple of the promos that we did yesterday online. I really really want to get a nice exchange/network of cross-promotion going with the gooncasts thing.

Also, pretty pissed off that no one can seem to get the podcast working. I've got a long lunch today and will arrange a new hosting situation for Digital Porridge.

I'm going to download the latest episode of every podcast that's been listed so far that I haven't checked out so far, I hope everyone is listed on iTunes so I can review!

e: OK, just tried to download everyone's latest show, general feedback without listening to all of them yet:
The Capm - the Facebook link just goes to the facebook.com, not your show's page
Goddimus - sorry to hear your show run ended before I could check it out :( I wasn't able to download The Expendables show or the one for Inglorious Basterds but I suppose I can guess why.
King Lou - I already subscribe to Lou Reads :) the only thing I can say is basically the more disgusting/strange the better, as far as I'm concerned. My favorites are the disgusting ones, your reactions to the weirdness is half the show! Also, if you bring them up again, I'd suggest mentioning the download issues at the start of the show, maybe... Talking about the solution at the end of the show, when it's possible to be cut off (for folks downloadig a bunch at a time from the website) could mean the explanation gets cut off... but OTOH normal subscribers shouldn't really get this problem, since they'll just be getting one file at a time.
Matt Cruea - the YNIN shows are VERY SLOW to download, just FYI
MrSpiffy - what, seriously? I literally this morning just saw your Real Life Mario Cart video on Youtube, was linked there from Reddit :) it was on the front page
Poopinstein - looking forward to listening to yours, I'm a horror movie fan but since I'm in the UK and don't go on movie websites much I'm a bit behind the curve on Hollywood stuff. I grabbed the only recent episode for a movie I've seen lately: The Last Exorcism
reflex - the second show downloaded fine, but the first one didn't at all, tried twice

Everyone -
- Only a few shows seem to have a logo attached to the ID3 tag of the MP3 files...it's a minor thing and not sure if y'all care but I'm one of those rare people like to be able to ID MP3s at a glance.
- Also, nearly half of the files are named with just numbers and jumbles of letters (or maybe just a date), which makes it hard to decipher which show is which when the files are on a computer desktop, but some are labelled intuitively, like 'YNIN', 'MepRep', 'MRR', 'DIV', 'Caustic Soda', etc. which is easier to figure out. Just minor usability comments I guess.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 18, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome, I'll get our promos edited in the next couple of days so they can be downloaded. Can't wait to get more exchanges going between all the gooncasters!

For anyone who's applied to edit the gooncasts wiki page, you've been approved, many apologies for the wait. I didn't realize the site didn't email me when there were applications, and there doesn't seem to be a way to make it do that, so it looks like I'll have to check every couple of days.

And if you've downloaded the latest episode of Digital Porridge (#17) before tonight, please download it again - I didn't change the link URL when copypasting and the RSS pointed at episode 15 for a few days. Sorry about that, but re-downloading if necessary is worth it, #17 is one of our best shows yet, we think!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just finished editing some promos, I'm surprised we got as many as we did for the amount of time we recorded... if anyone wants to take these and stick them in their show, or wants to trade promos (we'll listen to every show that wants to trade!), there are four different 30-second promos here: http://digitalporridge.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/is-you-is-a-podcaster/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I don't think anyone understands iTunes. It just works really, really strangely. Also, I'm one of the reviews that shows up in the iTunes program for your show (but not on the site).

RE: the promos, I'm totally down for doing custom promos for a particular show, we did the generic, off-the-cuff plugs to get the ball rolling with Gooncasts. And we're getting a new mic soon, right now we're just recording on a lecture recorder with no pop screen and Mat really likes to lean down into the drat thing!

As for getting reviews, don't feel too bad, you have lots of shows but I've literally had to stand over friends at work to get them to put reviews on. And one friend I've had for seven(!) years point blank refuses to review the show, simply because he doesn't listen to podcasts, even after several other friends told him 'that is what friends do for each other'. :/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Zeiros posted:

Oh why not...

My Favorite Stranger

website RSS iTunes Facebook Twitter

Cross-continental self-loathing and self-discovery between a guy (in Holland) and a girl (in LA). They will never meet.

We're not necessarily trying to be 'funny', but rather genuine, human, and honest in exploring outselves and our worlds...

I know this sort of podcast isn't for everybody, but we hit #13 in the iTunes comedy podcast charts a while back, and have been featured all over the front of iTunes multiple times (just in case that sways your decision to give us a listen):

Just started listening to the latest episode...I like it. Kind of similar to what my show is like, with the cross-Atlantic thing, except I've lived in the UK for 7 years now...and I've met my podcasting partner! Pretty cool...subscribing :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Welp, today I finally got a hosted .com domain for the podcast. The main reasons were the .com, new FTP server, adding a play-in-browser media player (also has a pop-out window option), and the theme. I put a longer blog post on the site with a bit more detail but that's about it. Hopefully this clears up that drat iTunes problem we've had with the show - I tested it at home and it's fine but I'll have to see if anyone else has any issues.

Backing up and moving the Wordpress blog from Wordpress.com to Wordpress.org was super easy, and updating the Feedburner feed was as simple as literally deleting '.wordpress' from the 'http://digitalporridge.wordpress.com/feed' URL.

Anyway. If anyone wants to check it out the new site is here: http://www.digitalporridge.com/ yay!

I have to update the URLs on the Gooncasts wiki site too - which reminds me: if anyone wants to add their show to Gooncasts, get a loving wiggle on! It's not going to build itself!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, all the newest posts I look at whenever I've been there have been spam...it's a big problem with any popular forum and I don't think their forum software is any good. I signed up for extra Googleness, plus shows like Kieth and the Girl try to plug for reviews on there...we haven't gotten any I think.

RE: promos, if the loudness/popping/quality is a problem I'll try to get some new (similar) promos recorded, and I'm happy to do any customized promos for anyone posting here. Capm, I tried to PM you but you've blocked PMs, so drop me an email or something at frank.digitalporridge@gmail.com

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
reflex and The Capm - just listened to both of your last shows (your last 2 shows Capm)

reflex - I liked yours a lot. The street sounds are kind of loud but maybe the stark contrast is what you were going for? The interview sounded a lot like what I hear on NPR shows and TAL like Capm said.

Capm - like the email I sent you, I liked the thing with the cat and where that went :) Thanks for doing the promo, now that we have some decent enough ideas on where to start for our promos we'll re-record them with our new, better mic and hopefully with no popping :)

I told Mat (my podcast partner) about him nearly swallowing the mic and we addressed that in our latest episode :P If anyone who commented on that is a regular listener...well I hope you enjoy the solution to the problem!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That sucks Lou, hopefully you find a decent host (don't use GoDaddy, we just moved from them). I don't know much about Blubrry but I have their Powerpress plug-in on my Wordpress install and it seems to be pretty good. Really good, actually. They do hosting and all sorts of things as well, you probably know that already. I think it's $15 a month.

Matt Cruea posted:

Oh man, I haven't checked this thread in awhile. krushgroove, to address your problem from almost a month ago, I've always had a hard time direct-downloading Stuff Weekly/TWIA as well. This is normally alleviated if I paste the URL into a downloading client, like BitComet or something. Hopefully that works and if any of you guys have actually listened to our stuff, I'd love some feedback. I think I'll take some time this week and listen to you guys' podcasts as well.

Additionally, I joined the Gooncasts wiki, but can't create a new page. Zuh?
I'll try re-downloading again, I've listened to most of the shows here and have subscribed to several :)

For the wiki, did you go to http://gooncasts.wikidot.com That's the second site I make a wiki on, the first one wasn't that great. Gooncasts.com points to the wikidot site. Unfortunately I have to approve everyone who wants to make a page, but at least you can update it forevermore afterwards.

Speaking of Gooncasts, does anyone have a suggestion for a logo or anything? This would be used on the wiki site of course, and for a future SA ad (one of the ones at the bottom of the forum pages). So far there's 3 or 4 folks who've offered to chip in for an ad ($30 for a month, rotating with all the other ones). I'm literally wearing an awesome emoticon t-shirt right now because I like how absurd it is, but I understand some SA folks don't like how goony it is.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 9, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm assuming you mean amongst the goons? Not that I'm aware of.

I don't think there are that many daily podcasts anyway, when compared to the number of weekly shows (I've never tried to count either one though) - it takes some commitment to listen to every one, and I don't listen to every single show of my subscriptions that are daily (Kieth and the Girl, KROQ's Kevin & Bean, Adam Carolla, etc.). These are all 1 hour +, and I just don't have the time to listen to every episode of every show, so I get to maybe one per week.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

reflex posted:

Would anyone be interested in forming a podcast workshop group?

Like every week, everyone in the group downloads the latest podcast of someone in the group and then we all listen and write out what we liked, what we didn't, and potential ways to improve.

I like that idea. It could just simply done in the thread or a more organized effort set up on the Gooncasts wiki site. Either way is fine, this sounds like it would be pretty cool, as long as everyone who agrees to partake is open to any criticism :)

I'll go ahead and volunteer Digital Porridge for the group, and I'll take part in critiquing the show of anyone else who takes part.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

I applied there, yeah. My account is "stuffweekly," if you need to approve that.

Approved! I was out of town, sorry about that. If anyone wants to volunteer to be co-admin I'll see if it's possible to set that up.

ReverendHammer posted:

Finally made some updates to our Gooncast page, though I'm not putting up episode specific links for the new live show until we get our site page together for it.

I was wondering if anyone could watch our shows and give us some feedback. I know there's ways we can improve, but right now I only have some ideas in my head about what we could do better (especially for the not live stuff). So any commentary would be appreciated.

I watched the first half or so of the first video (I think there were two?) from the convention you guys went to in Austin. I'll watch the rest of that episode (unless that was a one-off type of show) and PM you tomorrow with some feedback that was rattling around in my head as I watched it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ReverendHammer posted:

Yeah... Vimeo had a 1GB file size limit at the time, so we had to split it into two parts. They've now removed that limit so we can upload a full 90 minute if we want.

Which does bring up a good question as far as video podcasts go: for something that's over an hour long is it better to keep it all together or is it better to split it up into 30-45 minute chunks?

I don't watch a lot of video podcasts (the only ones I used to watch were Diggnation and Totally Rad Show, which were 45 minutes each, roughly - now I just listen to the MP3 versions) but I think an hour or less for video podcasts is a good, 'commute-length' show. So maybe if you have to have it longer than that splitting it up into to 45-60 minute pieces is good.

Capm - just put in a review on your show, none show up in the iTunes program but you have plenty on the iTunes web site. Very strange!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

Anyone have any experience with google analytics? It is displaying I have zero visitors. What's weird is, the old analytics thing I used, Cpanel, is also displaying zero visitors.

I'm not paragon of internet popularity but I also have never had a day with zero traffic. I figure, even if no humans visit, I should have various spiders and bots trying to steal my identity. Does anyone know what's up?

Sorry, don't know anything about Google stuff (still can't figure out how to advertising on a Youtube video that's got over 250,000 views), at the moment I rely on Feedburner stats and a Wordpress plug-in to tell me how people get to the site, and what they click on.

Capm - I've also put your promo on the latest Digital Porridge episode, #20, which went live today :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

1) What is the video

2) Do you have an adsense account?

I basically got an email from YouTube when my video hit a certain amount of hits. It seems kind of bizarro how they choose who to contact. I make like $20 a month from all my adsense on a good month. Not great...

the video (nothing to do with podcasting, I'm a motorsport fan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XR7OpM2Ufk&feature=channel_video_title

I had Adsense on a previous blog, never made anything on it, and whenever I go go to Youtube there's a box there that asks if I want to sign up. When I click yes the form never shows up properly no matter what browser I use (even Google's Chrome). I'm making more of an effort tonight to see if I can link up my accounts, because this is something I want to make work with the podcast as well.

Also Lou - we recorded 3 versions of a promo for you, just have to edit them and send you the links. I'll try to do that over the weekend.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Song For The Deaf posted:

I just created the Those drat Ross Kids page on the wiki. It was easier than I thought it would be.

One of my biggest frustrations in this podcasting thing is trying to figure out how to get new listeners. I'm confident that the content is there, and hopefully the workshops bear that out, but I am terrible at self promotion. I've considered buying a banner ad for the forums, but I'm hesitant to spend the money if it's not likely to work.

What do you guys do to get attentive ears?

Hopefully the Gooncasts thing will give us all some healthy cross-promotion and find new similar-minded podcasts to do promos with, share links on blogs, etc. We are planning to get a Gooncasts SA banner ad, we just need someone to come up with a logo of some sort - there are a few guys who've agreed to share the costs, it's $30 per month for an SA ad.

Twitter, Facebook, coercing friends to rate, blog SEO (at a reasonable level), etc., are all fair game I'd say. Also, constantly telling listeners to 'tell your friends'. I just started putting 'best of' parts on Youtube to hopefully get some new listeners. Not sure if that's working yet but it's just another way of getting people to click the links.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
FWIW, I'm only doing individual stories from my podcast, so the videos are like 1:30 to 35:30 or so - not so long that anyone might think "that's too long to listen to", hopefully just long enough to get people listening and hopefully clicking. But maybe that's just overthinking it :P

In case anyone is curious, this is what I've done so far for my podcast: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=digital+porridge&aq=f (top three results)

Also I think I was able to get the video I linked before approved for the YouTube Partnership Programme, for some reason the various links and walkthroughs on the site...just don't work very well. I had to swap back and forth between Chrome and Firefox to get it to work, submitting and re-submitting several times. Now I'm told it will take up to 2 weeks before the ads start appearing. I wish I'd had this done when I only had 100K or so views, I've got over 558K views now on that video.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was just trying out a couple of new things with Windows Movie Maker, those are the first videos I've tried to 'edit' in years :) eventually I'll start adding more pictures, maybe even video of me and Mat actually recording something.

I'm still learning how to make the annotations, I'll go in there and edit them right now after I Google how to play around with them. I thought putting in the full HTTP address would make them clickable - one less thing for a viewer to do to get to the site!

e: Actually you can only make clickable links to URLs within YouTube, so all I can do is add a note to 'see the links below' or something along those lines.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 20, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, drat, it helps to have a bunch of videos and regular viewers, for sure! You've already got plenty of views and even COMMENTS! Jealous I am.

edit: just found out the iTunes reviews are different on different sides of the pond. On the UK site I see 6 reviews for my show, and an American friend of mine told me there's 5 showing up on the US site. I can understand splitting up the reviews between different regions, but drat it makes it confusing, especially when there's different reviews showing up on the site and in the program.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 21, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Song For The Deaf posted:

I decided to hop on the YouTube clips bandwagon. Check these out and let me know what you think.

Bacon Assault

Facebook

Sexy Babies

Those are pretty good clips, a nice spread to show off. I need to get cracking and do a few more myself.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

Also, I still can't make a page on the GoonCasts wikidot. : /

There aren't any applications waiting to be approved, have you signed up for a wikidot account and then applied to edit a page on the gooncasts site? There's a little bit of hoop-jumping but it just has to be done once.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

Oh... there's a "join" button. Under the "join" page.

I am an idiot. Carry on.

All idiots welcome! You've been approved, you should have an email :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Whaaaat, the host screwed up the files on their end? This just gets deeper and crazier.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Holy poo poo! Can you wipe out your podcasts folder and re-upload everything? Or have the techs at your new host nuke everything so you can re-upload?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ReverendHammer posted:

I did put together another promo which might be short enough to use for audio purposes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_o29Pn4cI

That was one thing I had wondered about with this thread: is most of the focus of this thread towards audio-only recordings, or are there others who might focus more on video?

I think you're the only one ITT that does a video show, have you tried looking for another thread on SA about video podcasts?

While I'm at it, I wanted to give a shout-out for a podcast done by one of my British friends and a couple more of his friends - they do an episode every 3-4 weeks and talk about recent crazy stories. It's called Logjam, as in a periodic log of news events. I do a segment on a relevant topic for a couple of minutes in every show 'from the American perspective'...which usually turns surreal somehow. It's just 30 minutes per episode and well worth a shot.

Check it out in iTunes or RSS

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll check out your latest episode as soon as I can.

How about some talk about Google rankings and getting new listeners (apart from coercing friends and neighbors)? What podcasting directory sites have you guys signed up for? I've signed up for a few but apart from getting the Google results page full of 'Digital Porridge' results on a search I don't think they've gotten us any listeners.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

So to add more misery to my misery pile some weird poo poo happened to my feedburner feed.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/LouReadsTheInternetForYou It apparently now goes to some lovely dead sites place holder. There is no explaination to be to be had. The feed http://loureads.com/?feed=rss2 is up and appears normal but seriously... WTF... I checked my htaccess, I checked the wp-config. I checked a ton of poo poo looking for exploits. Nothing...

I changed my passwords and everything. Its just very frustrating...

This is the craziest poo poo I've seen, I've never seen something hijacked like that. Your feedburner feed goes to some placeholder site with 'supermandns.com' at the top of the page...have you been able to get Google to look at it for you? I don't know what they're like trying to fix stuff like that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Did a quick google, looks like you've got the 'Pharma hack'

This is supposed to be a fix (got link from Wordpress forums): http://blog.sucuri.net/2011/02/cleaning-up-an-infected-web-site-part-i-wordpress-and-the-pharma-hack.html

Step one says to do a google search for “site:yoursite.com” - I did this for loureads.com and the #1 result is a cash advance thing for your site loureads.com. Don't know if you know but you've got a massive banner spam ad right at the top of your site! I'd get with your web host and go through the steps that site tells you to do...good luck dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

Wow... Thanks. I could not figure it out for the life of me. Looks like I have a busy and annoying evening ahead of me.

EDIT: Ok... well it looks like someone did actually gently caress with my site just to gently caress with it. I ran that sucuri scan on loureads and got this

So most likely someone who didn't like what I read or felt I might appreciate it for the "LULZ...." bleh

EDIT 2: Well it looks like this happened a while ago. Like February. Dreamhost was able to find the hacked files. I'm deleting all the unused themes because thats apparently where these jazzholes hide poo poo.

Glad to help! the defacing or whatever wasn't on the site last week, I listened to an episode from the site then, so it only went up late last week or this week. Very happy you got rid of it though - now that you know the root of it, that should solve a few of the issues (although I think the shortened episode thing is/was a downloading thing)

Lancernemo posted:

I just started a podcast with a friend of mine...we suck, but we are finding our tone and learning to be more focused on our designated topics. So without further adieu I give you So Simple. We can be found at https://sosimple.libsyn.com

I am more than open to criticism my set up is pretty amateur so our audio is also crappy sometimes. If you want to give me suggestions on how to fix that, then by all means. Thanks.

We've got a podcast workshop going where we take turns listening to and critiquing each other's podcasts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398438 We're on the first round of critiques now, with the 3rd show in the firing line, so there's plenty of time to join in and get yours in the rotation.

e: meant to add that it's open to any goon podcasters - just like the Gooncasts.com wiki pages!

e2: FINALLY figured out the Wordpress theme on the podcast site and got the page links right where I want 'em...and I managed to get the header in the right place, too! I feel much better now :) http://www.digitalporridge.com/

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 7, 2011